ESPNW report on sexual harassment

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Naughty/Inappropriate....does it really matter in a Title IX case?  If AU pulls his company phone records they may find nothing at all or they may find another meat ball coach that doesn't have enough common sense than to use his company issued phone to carry on with females other than their wives.  

I don't know, just a thought after all the Hugh Freeze/Barney Farrar phone useage that got their arses in a sling.

This pre-dated the Freeze stuff didn't it.....bet there are a lot of coaches out there wondering what worrisome calls are in their school phone records or computers files....:-\ that might come out some day.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Jacobs and Jenkins knew about this last fall.  It was swept under the rug.  Therefore, they will not survive.  I just hope we don't get a "lack of institutional control" from the NCAA. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This pre-dated the Freeze stuff didn't it.....bet there are a lot of coaches out there wondering what worrisome calls are in their school phone records or computers files....:-\ that might come out some day.

With the popularity of cell phone usage, I'm sure AU investigators had the sense to pull the most popular device of communication and search their own coach and his company phone?  

They certainly couldn't just investigate and take Corey at his word and not truely check their own phone records.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

With the popularity of cell phone usage, I'm sure AU investigators had the sense to pull the most popular device of communication and search their own coach and his company phone?  

They certainly couldn't just investigate and take Corey at his word and not truely check their own phone records.

You're sure??

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

Who knows?  Obviously AU Compliance knew, the Athletic Department knew, the Head Coach knew after the investigation was completed.  So I don't see a coverup as much as a case of "let's hope Corey straightens out and this blows over....Oh and we make it another WCWS and all is forgotten and forgiven."

I wonder if there was a first investigation. It's not unlike Auburn to remove the potential problem based solely on accusation (see Lando Rice), especially with everyone being on edge about Title IX issues. I think it was more of a "we received these accusations about you, we think you should step down before this becomes a thing and your whole family gets drug into it." Then when girls defended him, and it became a two stories thing, Clint decided he shouldn't have been asked to resign. That seems to fit Clint past record, and how Auburn deals with these things, better than everyone knowing Corey was an issue and hoping he'd stop.

I have been quiet on this issue.  I did not know who to believe.  I did not want to believe the horrid details.  I do now.  Jay Jacobs knew, and so did many others.  The cover up has been going on for a while.  Many of the regulars on 24/7 who follow softball knew, but could not speak because every attempt to discuss the details were either deleted or locked by Auburn mods.  They knew, or had orders to keep it quiet...  This stinks to high heaven.  I have been an Auburn fan since 1966, and some things have happened i have not been proud of, but this really gets me.   With Carlee leaving and the dismissal of young Myers then, the abrupt retirement , and the other incidents--- the bread trail is too long.  Jacobs knew.  He needs to go.  Not because of anything else, but because of this.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Probably so but I have grand kids and the most popular feature of most social networking sites is the ability to erase them easily and quickly.  

Freeze made actual phone calls......and from what I'm seeing, these were social media contacts.....which he might not have kept.....I mean, even someone who would do stuff that was clearly wrong would not be dumb enough to keep the incriminating evidence.....would he?  

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

If it was his personal phone, they couldn't without a subpoena. Guys like him are too smart to use their business phone for that kind of thing. He was probably also deleting the messages so his wife wouldn't see them. Not everyone is as stupid as Freeze.

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

You're sure??

Hell no...just using common sense would lead me to believe very core of our Athletic Department and Compliance people would check those phones records at the onset of their investigation.  At which point Jenkins would have known exactly what Corey was texting to the girls, she wouldn't have needed the stolen text messages from another players phone.

Irrespective of the truth, this is a sh**storm. Media circus coming soon, and will be stronger than Auburn's ability to whether it. There will be much more fallout, justified or not. Hopefully the public's appetite for ruination will be softened because it's softball rather than football. But I doubt it. Not trying to pile on. It's the world we live in. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Probably so but I have grand kids and the most popular feature of most social networking sites is the ability to erase them easily and quickly.  

Freeze made actual phone calls......and from what I'm seeing, these were social media contacts.....which he might not have kept.....I mean, even someone who would do stuff that was clearly wrong would not be dumb enough to keep the incriminating evidence.....would he?  

Wait a minute....do you think just because a text message or phone call gets deleted or not "kept" that they just disappear from existence?  

They can be retrieved from the service provider at the request of the owner.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20466809/former-auburn-tigers-softball-player-alleges-abuse-sexual-harassment-14-page-complaint

According to the above article, the girl who is mentioned as making the accusations, wants to come back and play at Auburn:

"Nemeth , contacted for her response to the news of Clint Myers' retirement, said that she feels "vindicated." She also expressed hope that Myers' departure means that she can be reinstated to the Auburn softball team."

This seems odd considering that many are saying the environment is highly toxic right now.  Why would she want to come back to a toxic environment?

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Wait a minute....do you think just because a text message or phone call gets deleted or not "kept" that they just disappear from existence?  

They can be retrieved from the service provider at the request of the owner.

According to what I read...text message content is not retained by most carriers.....https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/mobile/how-long-do-wireless-carriers-keep-your-data-f120367

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If it was his personal phone, they couldn't without a subpoena. Guys like him are too smart to use their business phone for that kind of thing. He was probably also deleting the messages so his wife wouldn't see them. Nit everyone is as stupid as Freeze.

So you know Corey Meyers personally and can vouch for his intellect and intelligence in not allowing his penis to take control of his brain? 

Well good for Auburn if the dude had more sense than Hugh Freeze.   If not, then watch the storm that will ensue if the media requests those phone records through FOIA or if one of those girls attorneys gets them.

6 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20466809/former-auburn-tigers-softball-player-alleges-abuse-sexual-harassment-14-page-complaint

According to the above article, the girl who is mentioned as making the accusations, wants to come back and play at Auburn:

"Nemeth , contacted for her response to the news of Clint Myers' retirement, said that she feels "vindicated." She also expressed hope that Myers' departure means that she can be reinstated to the Auburn softball team."

This seems odd considering that many are saying the environment is highly toxic right now.  Why would she want to come back to a toxic environment?

Personally for me Auburn is a great place to spend your college life.  If the toxins have resigned then why not come back?  And her wish to come back may help retain some of the recruits that just signed on.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

So you know Corey Meyers personally and can vouch for his intellect and intelligence in not allowing his penis to take control of his brain? 

Well good for Auburn if the dude had more sense than Hugh Freeze.   If not, then watch the storm that will Erik if the media requests those phone records through FOIA or if one of those girls attorneys gets them.

As someone mentioned, SMS records aren't readily available and not something you can get from FIOA. They are considered private property and require a subpoena. If he communicated on a school phone, the school could request the records from the cell phone company, but if it's his private phone, a judge would have to require the cell phone company to give them up.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

According to what I read...text message content is not retained by most carriers.....https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/mobile/how-long-do-wireless-carriers-keep-your-data-f120367

Then I wonder how the hell the NCAA was able to retrieve text messages from over a dozen Ole Miss Boosters, Coaches, active players and recruits?  I mean surely Barney Farrar didn't save all of his hundreds of text messages with the Boosters and recruits over the years?  Surely those Boosters didn't save all of their texts between the recruits they were buying and their communications with Ole Miss coaches.

12 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

A more interesting question... why was she cut from the team in the first place. I haven't found that information anywhere.

I was told the story about the players refusing board the bus right after it happened.  Everything in this report corroborates that rumor.

I'm most interested to see how President Leathe handles this.  It didn't happen under his watch, but this will be a major indicator of what kind of President he will be for AU.  Is it students first or money/sports first?  Remember, no one in the athletic department is "his guy or girl", so doubt he has loyalty to the administration over there.  You could easily see JJ and other heads roll for this, especially since they reinstated Corey in September 2016 after the first allegations came to light.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

A more interesting question... why was she cut from the team in the first place. I haven't found that information anywhere.

Was she one of the whistle blowers back in the Fall?

Just now, keesler said:

Then I wonder how the hell the NCAA was able to retrieve text messages from over a dozen Ole Miss Boosters, Coaches, active players and recruits?  I mean surely Barney Farrar didn't save all of his hundreds of text messages with the Boosters and recruits over the years?  Surely those Boosters didn't save all of their texts between the recruits they were buying and their communications with Ole Miss coaches.

The NCAA gets text messages from players who they grant immunity to as well as other people who cooperate. No one, other than a judge, can lawfully access your text messages. They are your property, unless you are using a company phone.

15 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

If all the people involved are gone [when this is over], how is the environment toxic? 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Personally for me Auburn is a great place to spend your college life.  If the toxins have resigned then why not come back?  And her wish to come back may help retain some of the recruits that just signed on.

I couldn't agree more, Auburn is a great university.  I hate what she and some of the girls went through, and I hope the best for them as they pursue their academic and athletic career.  I was just confused about what some were saying about it being a toxic environment.  If like you said, the toxins have been removed, it sounds like the young lady feels okay enough to come back and play.  Apparently her issue was with the Myers family and not the university.

16 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Maybe because the source of the toxicity is gone ?

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was told the story about the players refusing board the bus right after it happened.  Everything in this report corroborates that rumor.

I'm most interested to see how President Leathe handles this.  It didn't happen under his watch, but this will be a major indicator of what kind of President he will be for AU.  Is it students first or money/sports first?  Remember, no one in the athletic department is "his guy or girl", so doubt he has loyalty to the administration over there.  You could easily see JJ and other heads roll for this, especially since they reinstated Corey in September 2016 after the first allegations came to light.

Until I see where Jacobs knew the intimate details and overlooked them to keep his championship level coaching staff in fact, then I'm not ready to crucify him.

Archived