ESPNW report on sexual harassment

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

Maybe and I hope no one is harmed that is innocent of explicit or complicit wrongdoing.

Too late. Corey has a wife and ive heard kids, too. They are already collateral damage.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't read all this crap and don't care.   Knew something wasn't right when that dude quit mid season.  What would you do if it were your daughter?  Exactly. 4 horseman would look lame if it were my daughter.

Personally, I'd talk to my daughter first. I'd have words for the coaches, but I'd want her take first. No one has really done that in this story. We've seen lots of sides but not that one.

On a different part of it, one thing to consider is that there might have been significant contractual benefits for Auburn to let Clint retire. If he was fired, even if he was fired for-cause, there's almost a guarantee of a contractual dispute over money owed post severance. It could very well have been a "let me walk away in exchange for a written release" type of thing. Absolutely no information on that, but it strikes me as a very real possibility.

Two comments:  1.  The Montgomery Advertiser ran an article 8/26 which said that there was no contract extension until 2023.  They said "multiple anonymous sources in the Auburn administration" stated that this was never on the agenda at a BOT meeting, and was never going to be.  I hope I quoted that close to correctly.  2.  Haley Fagan was not kicked off the Florida team;  her sister Casey was, along with Cheyenne Coyle and one other player.  Casey Fagan and Coyle are on the Auburn staff.  At least they were for the 2017 season.  Haley transferred to Auburn from South Alabama.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Two comments:  1.  The Montgomery Advertiser ran an article 8/26 which said that there was no contract extension until 2023.  They said "multiple anonymous sources in the Auburn administration" stated that this was never on the agenda at a BOT meeting, and was never going to be.  I hope I quoted that close to correctly.  2.  Haley Fagan was not kicked off the Florida team;  her sister Casey was, along with Cheyenne Coyle and one other player.  Casey Fagan and Coyle are on the Auburn staff.  At least they were for the 2017 season.  Haley transferred to Auburn from South Alabama.

so younger sister claims something and they stay on staff.......think about it

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The rumors were toxic when Corey left.

Auburnphan kept saying the situation behind the Corey dismissal was really bad as well ( to his credit.)

Once Clint abruptly resigned, it seemed inevitable that I'd be reading something like this though. Time to weather the storm.

I was told when this started in the Spring that it wasn't "Baylor bad" but that it was pretty ugly - I had no clue it was this bad. 

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Too late. Corey has a wife and ive heard kids, too. They are already collateral damage.

Yep. That's true anytime someone chooses infedility. Harder when you're in the public eye I guess....

10 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Wasn't Fagan kicked off the Florida team?  Or did she choose to leave?  I know there was an ongoing feud between Fagan and the Florida head coach.

No, it was her sisters who were involved in that incident.

6 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Personally, I'd talk to my daughter first. I'd have words for the coaches, but I'd want her take first. No one has really done that in this story. We've seen lots of sides but not that one.

On a different part of it, one thing to consider is that there might have been significant contractual benefits for Auburn to let Clint retire. If he was fired, even if he was fired for-cause, there's almost a guarantee of a contractual dispute over money owed post severance. It could very well have been a "let me walk away in exchange for a written release" type of thing. Absolutely no information on that, but it strikes me as a very real possibility.

Some of these kind of contracts have automatic renewals and performance features. Don't recall seeing how much of the remaining contract Clint is due....Auburn probably had a rolling 4 or 5 year obligation for a while longer unless there was "cause"..or some earlier termination was agreed upon as you note.

Second guesses are gonna second guess...and of course , messy problems always seem simpler in hindsight.  It is done...bus probably not over yet.

I agree. To make a claim about the AU Athletic department with such a negative brush is totally wrong. OFC  there are good and honest people in the compliance dept.

The key is....did JJ make sure that the smoke was investigated or did he allow it to smolder until a fire started...then he pushed it? That could be the problem. Yes, it was investigated, but if the Blair accusation is correct..it started in 2015...and if there is a record of it being brought to ANYONE in the AD, and they didnt investigate, then we have a problem.

p.s. What the heck is a quarantine? Never heard of that before in sports. What was it suppose to accomplish? 

11 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Wasn't Fagan kicked off the Florida team?  Or did she choose to leave?  I know there was an ongoing feud between Fagan and the Florida head coach.

NO.  Haley Fagan never attended Florida.  She went to South Alabama and transferred to Auburn after 1 year.   Her sisters were at florida.

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. To make a claim about the AU Athletic department with such a negative brush is totally wrong. OFC  there are good and honest people in the compliance dept.

The key is....did JJ make sure that the smoke was investigated or did he allow it to smolder until a fire started...then he pushed it? That could be the problem. Yes, it was investigated, but if the Blair accusation is correct..it started in 2015...and if there is a record of it being brought to ANYONE in the AD, and they didnt investigate, then we have a problem.

p.s. What the heck is a quarantine? Never heard of that before in sports. What was it suppose to accomplish? 

The guy posted a text rating her a 7 in a team picture if I read her comment correctly.   JMO and maybe I'm behind the times but something like that was worth a good a** chewing for stupidity but sure does not rise to the level of an investigation....he apparently did it...got caught and probably reamed out for it. 

Lesson to me at least is that male coaches working with female players have to be very careful about lots of stuff....what might pass for humor. .....or maybe compliments too?  or slapping someone on the butt during a practice....

I don't think AU needs to fall on it's sword over this but a good learning opportunity for the entire athletic department.   JMO .

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The guy posted a text rating her a 7 in a team picture if I read her comment correctly.   JMO and maybe I'm behind the times but something like that was worth a good a** chewing for stupidity but sure does not rise to the level of an investigation....he apparently did it...got caught and probably reamed out for it. 

Lesson to me at least is that male coaches working with female players have to be very careful about lots of stuff....what might pass for humor. .....or maybe compliments too?  or slapping someone on the butt during a practice....

I don't think AU needs to fall on it's sword over this but a good learning opportunity for the entire athletic department.   JMO .

All it takes is to not be idiotic. It is that simple. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

AU may have to fall on the sword.

If any of this is true, and a coach manipulated any of the young softball ladies with sexual comments or as alleged, sexual affairs, then it will have a terrible look to the public and the pressure will come and force more changes than a son and father's resignation....IMO..

Anybody thinking this should or will just blow over is out of their mind.....

An internal investigation proved impotent. Auburn should hire an external investigator to determine what Jay Jacobs, Meredith Jenkins, and others in the administration knew and when they knew it. If the allegations being reported are true, all involved have forfeited their right to be called Auburn men and women. They should all be fired for cause and denied any severance. As Jay Jacobs once said, “you ain’t getting a dime, brother,” if these allegations are true.

But in the meantime, Auburn fans need to do four things: (1) demand that the University take these allegations seriously; (2) do not engage in blind denial and cheerleading merely because Auburn has been wrongly accused in the past; (3) wait to let the facts develop; and (4) demand that Auburn hold all involved responsible for wrongdoing.

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2017/8/26/16209772/auburn-softball-scandal-some-initial-thoughts

It's really just sickening that so many cannot see through the incredible hypocrisy that is Jay Jacobs.....

'We clicked from day one'

When softball coach Clint Myers and his wife, Katie, came to The Plains to interview for the job with Jacobs, he was impressed by the Auburn campus and the community.

But what really sold him was Jacobs' passion for family--the Auburn Family and his own.

"The day Katie and I came down and had the interview, we were sitting down having lunch," Myers said. "He was telling me about the Auburn Family and I'm telling him about the Myers family, and we're saying the same thing. It was a relationship made for both of us, because we had the same ideas and goals as far as what we wanted to do and how we should be doing things. We clicked from day one."

Myers said great players are only one piece of what it takes to compete for championships, which he did in record time after leading Auburn to its first Women's College World Series and a national runner-up finish in his first three years. It takes the support and commitment of an entire department.

"The success has been tremendous, and you have to start at the top and look at what Jay has done for this program," Myers said. "He has given us great support."

The Hall of Fame coach said Jacobs is "basically self-made."

"He came here as a football player, and he will leave here as an athletics director," Myers said. "That's a true success story."

Myers said he personally appreciates Jacobs' efforts to come to games and cheer for his girls.

"Not only is Jay Jacobs a great AD, he's a great man," Myers said. "He cares about everybody, and he lives a life just like he says. I think he's a role model for what young men today should aspire to be."

http://www.auburntigers.com/genrel/030317aaf.html

11 hours ago, WarTiger said:

If all the people involved are gone [when this is over], how is the environment toxic? 

It's about trust. If you feel victimized by an organization, and don't feel that you were protected by the leadership of that organization you lose trust. Trust is a hard thing to regain. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It's about trust. If you feel victimized by an organization, and don't feel that you were protected by the leadership of that organization you lose trust. Trust is a hard thing to regain. 

Again, if EVERYBODY that was part of this is gone, how is that remotely relevant?   Totally new leadership across the board is light years different than coming into a situation with the same people.      It might be hard for the previous leadership to regain, but completely irrelevant to new leadership, which was my point.

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Likewise, if I were a coach accused of impropriety with a player I would come out immediately in defense of myself. That's if I was innocent of course.  Auburn is a great school but we have too many cases of "there's another side to the story" defenses.  That's what we're getting here.  This appears to me to be another example of our officials hoping this would not come to light, but hope is not a strategy. We need stronger leadership in the AD office.   

15 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Again, if EVERYBODY that was part of this is gone, how is that remotely relevant?   Totally new leadership across the board is light years different than coming into a situation with the same people.      It might be hard for the previous leadership to regain, but completely irrelevant to new leadership, which was my point.

I agree with your point, but 2 coaches do not constitute all of the leadership. These kids are involved with multiple layers of personnel from the AD department and even from the softball organization. The athletic department sets the culture for athletic organizations and they are all still there. Please understand, I'm not claiming to know all of the details of this situation.  I'm just a believer that it is naive to believe you can get rid of two coaches and the whole organization is deemed steady by all. 

12 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

They really aren't supposed to, but you never know what the NCAA is going to do. No NCAA rules were broken.

Lack of Institutional Control, maybe, if administrators knew there was an issue and allowed it to continue. 

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Especially if you are a college student/athlete who are entrusted into the coaches they play for. It is up to coaches and administration to be sure they are protected. If ANYTHING was done to hush it up, or to try to protect coaches, then those officials should be held accountable.  

Has anyone looked in to this girls history ?

29 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with your point, but 2 coaches do not constitute all of the leadership. These kids are involved with multiple layers of personnel from the AD department and even from the softball organization. The athletic department sets the culture for athletic organizations and they are all still there. Please understand, I'm not claiming to know all of the details of this situation.  I'm just a believer that it is naive to believe you can get rid of two coaches and the whole organization is deemed steady by all. 

You are totally missing my point.  When I say EVERYBODY, I mean EVERYBODY (as in after all this is completely investigated and settled).  I'm not referring to how it is now with just Corey and Clint gone.   Perhaps that just didn't convey very well.

Archived