ESPNW report on sexual harassment

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Was she one of the whistle blowers back in the Fall?

No clue... only Fagan has come out as one of them, but he let her go after the season. I don't want to accuse her of anything, since I don't know her whole story, but it reminds me of some basketball players who got kicked off the team at my wife's school and sued. Their case got thrown out because they deserved to be kicked off.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, keesler said:

Then I wonder how the hell the NCAA was able to retrieve text messages from over a dozen Ole Miss Boosters, Coaches, active players and recruits?  I mean surely Barney Farrar didn't save all of his hundreds of text messages with the Boosters and recruits over the years?  Surely those Boosters didn't save all of their texts between the recruits they were buying and their communications with Ole Miss coaches.

Guess you never know.....people do stupid things or sometimes don't understand the technology.  I'm just told that one reason for using texts and snap chat and stuff like that is that the records can be eliminated whereas e-mails live forever.  

And as noted, nobody said Corey was using a school phone anyway.  But for whatever reason, the recipient of Corey's texts had apparently kept some of them and showed them to team mates who then copied or.stole them.  .  

3 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I couldn't agree more, Auburn is a great university.  I hate what she and some of the girls went through, and I hope the best for them as they pursue their academic and athletic career.  I was just confused about what some were saying about it being a toxic environment.  If like you said, the toxins have been removed, it sounds like the young lady feels okay enough to come back and play.  Apparently her issue was with the Myers family and not the university.

The thing is, she didn't choose to leave, she was cut from the team.

Just now, keesler said:

Until I see where Jacobs knew the intimate details and overlooked them to keep his championship level coaching staff in fact, then I'm not ready to crucify him.

Neither am I at this point.  But it's not uncommon for leadership to be ousted amid scandal, whether they were directly involved or not.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The NCAA gets text messages from players who they grant immunity to as well as other people who cooperate. No one, other than a judge, can lawfully access your text messages. They are your property, unless you are using a company phone.

In our case, I hope the NCAA never has to sniff at this softball mess.  Do they have to get involved in Title IX cases where students athletes are involved.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No clue... only Fagan has come out as one of them, but he let her go after the season. I don't want to accuse her of anything, since I don't know her whole story, but it reminds me of some basketball players who got kicked off the team at my wife's school and sued. Their case got thrown out because they deserved to be kicked off.

Wasn't Fagan kicked off the Florida team?  Or did she choose to leave?  I know there was an ongoing feud between Fagan and the Florida head coach.

Just now, keesler said:

In our case, I hope the NCAA never has to sniff at this softball mess.  Do they have to get involved in Title IX cases where students athletes are involved.

They really aren't supposed to, but you never know what the NCAA is going to do. No NCAA rules were broken.

Just now, WeagleAU said:

Wasn't Fagan kicked off the Florida team?  Or did she choose to leave?  I know there was an ongoing feud between Fagan and the Florida head coach.

I don't remember, but she definitely seems to have issues with authority figures.

I don't typically take the side of the AD, but...

The folks in the AD are the most reasonable, law-abiding, caring people. There's NO WAY they let this fester if they knew what was going on. In addition, I would bet the farm that the entire way they covered their Ps and Qs to try to do what was right and best.  Remember that folks like the Myers have rights too.  You can't just fire them without cause.  Anyway, it looks bad, but it's smack dab in the mayweather fight and then football starting news cycle, so I think that's good from an optics perspective.  More importantly, sounds like any success we had on the softball field was overshadowed by some bad actions by the Myers fam.  For the health of our student-athletes, I'm glad they are gone and we can turn the page. Maybe we can build on the good things.  I have faith in Auburn.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Neither am I at this point.  But it's not uncommon for leadership to be ousted amid scandal, whether they were directly involved or not.

Mostly that is not the case....the Baylor and PSU cases were an order of magnitude more serious than what is being alleged at Auburn.  ....otherwise, it seems the guilty parties sometimes get what they deserve...and sometimes get off with a wrist slap. 

Looks to me like the guilty parties are gone from AU now..JMO

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mostly that is not the case....the Baylor and PSU cases were an order of magnitude more serious than what is being alleged at Auburn.  ....otherwise, it seems the guilty parties sometimes get what they deserve...and sometimes get off with a wrist slap. 

Looks to me like the guilty parties are gone from AU now..JMO

I hope so, and i hope this Title IX mess blows over too.  

17 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

If like you said, the toxins have been removed, it sounds like the young lady feels okay enough to come back and play.  Apparently her issue was with the Myers family and not the university.

After saying the above, I just noticed that Casey Myers is still listed as a Volunteer Assistant Coach on the Auburn website.  So I guess she is okay coming back to the team, with a Myers still coaching?  I don't know, the problem with rumors and assumptions is that it never seems to lead to the whole truth.  But as others are saying, I'm going to give the AD the benefit of the doubt, unless given credible evidence to believe otherwise.  

I just love how these "fans" on here compare us to Penn St and Baylor and Ole Miss.  Where was there assault?  Where was there molestation?  Where was there prostitution?  Where was there a coverup?  Nowhere?  Then stop dragging our own name through the mud.  The man was let go just days after this came out until the situation could be figured out.  There wasn't even a single crime committed. Just bad decisions between men and women which happen everywhere all the time. Can I have all of your phone records to trace every call or text you sent to someone that you shouldn't have?  Surely you have all done it at least once. That makes all of you just as guilty. Whatever you are calling their family, look in the mirror and say it again.   Did they make mistakes?  You bet. Did they deserved to be let go?  Absolutely. Do they deserve to be called the names the people of this board are calling them?  Doubt it. How can we hold coaches to such a high standard when we look around at the cesspool just in this forum alone?  Are we above reproach?  There's been tons of discussions on this very board that surpass the level of filth portrayed by the Meyers.   The hypocrites on this board blow my mind. 

/rant. Back to your glass houses. 

16 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I don't typically take the side of the AD, but...

The folks in the AD are the most reasonable, law-abiding, caring people. There's NO WAY they let this fester if they knew what was going on. In addition, I would bet the farm that the entire way they covered their Ps and Qs to try to do what was right and best.  Remember that folks like the Myers have rights too.  You can't just fire them without cause.  Anyway, it looks bad, but it's smack dab in the mayweather fight and then football starting news cycle, so I think that's good from an optics perspective.  More importantly, sounds like any success we had on the softball field was overshadowed by some bad actions by the Myers fam.  For the health of our student-athletes, I'm glad they are gone and we can turn the page. Maybe we can build on the good things.  I have faith in Auburn.

Then what happened that was so bad that the Administration wanted Corey gone in the Fall....kept him on till he voluntarily resigned to be with his family in March and then his father retires AFTER agreeing to a contract extension this summer to claim he wants to spend time with family and grandkids?

Im not pointing fingers and calling for heads in the AU AD....but some strange things transpired under their watch that drew the attention of freaking ESPN and now we see the crap hitting the fan.

4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I just love how these "fans" on here compare us to Penn St and Baylor and Ole Miss.  Where was there assault?  Where was there molestation?  Where was there prostitution?  Where was there a coverup?  Nowhere?  Then stop dragging our own name through the mud.  The man was let go just days after this came out until the situation could be figured out.  There wasn't even a single crime committed. Just bad decisions between men and women which happen everywhere all the time. Can I have all of your phone records to trace every call or text you sent to someone that you shouldn't have?  Surely you have all done it at least once. That makes all of you just as guilty. Whatever you are calling their family, look in the mirror and say it again.   Did they make mistakes?  You bet. Did they deserved to be let go?  Absolutely. Do they deserve to be called the names the people of this board are calling them?  Doubt it. How can we hold coaches to such a high standard when we look around at the cesspool just in this forum alone?  Are we above reproach?  There's been tons of discussions on this very board that surpass the level of filth portrayed by the Meyers.   The hypocrites on this board blow my mind. 

/rant. Back to your glass houses. 

Get off the board if it upsets you.  It's not difficult.

I work in higher ed, so I can report to those who're saying that the relationship was (apparently) consensual & he did nothing illegal that you don't understand "intimate relations" policies, nor do you seem to understand the Title IX issues that are in play. I hope like anything that administrators didn't participate in any cover up because Title IX stuff is serious. But I'll also point out that players sending anonymous complaints did nothing to help resolve the situation. An administrator simply cannot act on an anonymous complaint. Anyone can say anything about someone if he or she isn't required to attach their name to the claim. I can understand why the girls chose anonymity, but administrators can't act on that. Just an awful situation.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Then what happened that was so bad that the Administration wanted Corey gone in the Fall....kept him on till he voluntarily resigned to be with his family in March and then his father retires AFTER agreeing to a contract extension this summer to claim he wants to spend time with family and grandkids?

Im not pointing fingers and calling for heads in the AU AD....but some strange things transpired under their watch that drew the attention of freaking ESPN and now we see the crap hitting the fan.

What drew the attention of ESPN was probably the player or her attorney who filed the Title IX suit.  You can almost bet the rent money that the attorney contacted ESPN with a juicy story which he figured would help his case.

As for the other stuff....it does not take committing a crime to get fired from a teaching or coaching job.....just poor judgment which probably got Corey dismissed the first time.....and after a repeat he was definitely GONE.   As for Clint...failure to properly handle something like this situation is surely enough to help decide that he should retire and I expect JJ could make a good case for that without actually having a "for cause" reason to void the contract.  Like we've discussed after the Sunny case....just pay the money and make it go away......like we've seen other schools do. 

Now it's "just " a Title IX issue and unless there is a lot more involved than we have been told from the suit that was filed, there is no reason for NCAA to get involved and could be that one of the Myers family might be a defendant?   JMO

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

Fair points. But I wonder what amount of time is appropriate to be able to analyze the situation and act? I dunno, I think it's pretty reasonable.

but we do agree on these two points: 1)man up and fire the guy if that's what's necessary rather than the "retire" thing. 2)if there really was a contract extension (I'm not sure that's factual) then that would be inexcusable imo.

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Fair points. But I wonder what amount of time is appropriate to be able to analyze the situation and act? I dunno, I think it's pretty reasonable.

but we do agree on these two points: 1)man up and fire the guy if that's what's necessary rather than the "retire" thing. 2)if there really was a contract extension (I'm not sure that's factual) then that would be inexcusable imo.

Probably not that easy to do as we found out a while back....and maybe not enough evidence to fire him ......since Clint did not seem to cover up anything and did nothing personally.    Corey got fired....good for him.....but I'm thinking it would be hard to make a firing offense against Clint that would stand up to challenge..  

Could have been done better but otherwise ....guess with all of them gone, I'm satisfied with how it has shaken out now. 

Just got caught up on this. I don't see how anyone can conclusively say that Jay Jacobs is in the clear in all this. There's too many questions surrounding all this to be clearing people before all the facts come out.

Now I'll admit, I'll give Jacobs the benefit of the doubt for the September rumors. It was questionable and wasn't obvious at that point. But by March 30 when Corey Meyers resigned, that's when the benefit of the doubt stops for Jacobs.

My take on all this and how I frame it is this:

If they find out that at the end of March when Corey resigned that Jacobs knew that Clint Meyers had knowledge about his son's behavior and seemingly turned a blind eye and  on top of that if Jacobs had heard about Clint telling the players to "fight for Corey", then why did Jacobs still decide to give Clint Meyers a 3 year contract extension in July?

I find it hard to believe that between July, when Jacobs gave Clint Meyers a contract extension and  August 23 when Clint "retires" that Jacobs had just found out about all this. If so, then that makes Jacobs almost look even worse because he was seemingly unfazed by Corey Meyers "resigning" and didn't bother with due diligence before giving Clint Meyers a contract extension. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The NCAA gets text messages from players who they grant immunity to as well as other people who cooperate. No one, other than a judge, can lawfully access your text messages. They are your property, unless you are using a company phone.

Correct.  It floors me how stupid people are using their company official cellphones for personnel activities.  Normally occasional use maybe permitted, but the messages and all activity are subject to review by the owner/ company that pays the bills.  Taking pictures, sending text and emails have gotten lots of people fired.  Many businesses put specialized software on the phone to control the phones use and know where it's at.    Which is why certain politicians setup their own email servers and phones, but they still get caught conducting official business on personally owned phones.    The privileged few evade punishment. 

1 hour ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I work in higher ed, so I can report to those who're saying that the relationship was (apparently) consensual & he did nothing illegal that you don't understand "intimate relations" policies, nor do you seem to understand the Title IX issues that are in play.

There is a difference between illegal and against school policy. All parties involved are old enough to choose what relationship they want to be in. That being said, yes, it is totally against school policy for a coach to be involved with a player.

Did Jacobs really believe this whole matter was "settled" on March 30 when Corey Meyers "resigned"? Is that why he gave the go ahead on giving Clint a contract extension in July?

If so, then how ignorant is Jay Jacobs? ........ 

You don't give a contract extension until you know for sure the Corey Meyers episode is over with. That's just pure stupidity on Jacobs part. 

Either way you want to play it, whether Jacobs knew on March 30 about all this with Corey resigning or whether he just found out after giving Clint a contract extension in July, everything makes Jacobs look bad for giving Clint a contract extension in the first place. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually these things rarely hurt anyone above the head coach, but in this case I think the only one's who will be hurt are the innocent members of the Myers fsmily.

Maybe and I hope no one is harmed that is innocent of explicit or complicit wrongdoing. Penn State and Baylor spring to mind anytime allegations like this are made with the words "cover up" thrown in; those situations started with a few allegations and led to much more. Not saying we have a situation like those on our hands, however, my relative working at the university had been hearing whispers about these "incidents" long before Corey's exit in March. 

Archived