Bashing Gus

AU64

merge it all into one thread and call it "What is wrong and what to do about it?" If Gus can get it going like it should with the talent he has at his disposal, most of us would gladly give credit where it is due without question. Gus has done things that need to be called out and taken care of it in order to right the ship.  I want Gus and the team to succeed more than anything in this world. I think a lot of us that are unhappy with what Gus is doing would change in a heartbeat if we start winning and showing a lot of improvement. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Why is 500+ yards in two cupcake games considered "wetting the bed"?

Did the Atlanta Falcons wet the bed against the Patriots after putting up huge numbers against them?  Did A&M wet the bed after losing a 35 point lead in the second half to UCLA?  I don't consider how many yards we gain against little sisters of the poor like Mercer a gauge to use on how you play against a very overmatched opponent.  What do they say about a team that has way too many penalties?  That they are coached poorly.  The same goes for a team that can't move the line of scrimmage against Mercer.  The same goes for a team that commits 5 turnovers.  It is coaching.  The buck stops with him.  I don't care if we had 1000 yards against Mercer if we are needing a strong 4th quarter to just pull the game out.

8 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

There are a tremendous amount of coaches who are better other than the elite you just mentioned.  Derek Mason at Vandy coaches circles around us with a heck of a lot less to work from.  I don't think anyone wants Gus to fail at the expense of Auburn but dang it man.  This has been going on for 4 years.  Gus, who normally does not tip his hand, had a huge part in the fan base thinking this was the year.  Go back and look at everything he said going into this season.  Everything he said is the exact opposite he is saying now.  The season is not over but we have wet the bed against two extremely weak teams.  Teams where we should have been able to give our younger players some great game experience and they did not even sniff the field.  The man is in way over his head when his stuff doesn't work and he has no answer or ability to correct it or coach his way through it.  After being given another chance he did not deserve he brought in CL and I'll be danged if he didn't go through all of Fall camp and the first two games calling the offense.  Now he does not know what to do so he tosses the house fire to Chip in the middle of the season to try to fix it.  He is a dumpster fire.  Our players don't have years to waste waiting on Auburn to do the right thing and just hope he is gone at the end of the year one day after the Iron Bowl.  Everything our opposing coaches tell players to persuade them not to come here is being brought to light right before our eyes.  He makes believers out of folks.

Like another poster said, putting up 500+ yards against two weak teams is hardly wetting the bed. Additionally, bro... We're 2-1. We don't know yet that this is gonna be an 8-4 season. Chill the eff out. Our one loss came by a touchdown to the defending national champions for Christ's sake! We don't know enough about this team yet to determine if Gus gets a pass/fail grade for the season. The next two weeks will determine that.

I’ll just add this...

It’s a lot easier to coach at Mississippi State/Vandy/Purdue and such then it is at Auburn.  Every practice, every rep, every play call, and every game is over analyzed.  

When you are playing with house money it’s a lot easier.  See Tuberville Ole Miss and first 2 years at Auburn as opposed to his last 5.  

Yes Gus is paid handsomely for his situation but when every game you’re coaching for your life makes for conservative play calling.  He wasn’t conservative in 2013/2014... 

3 hours ago, stoic-one said:

Greetings y'all!

Can't speak for the rest of the Admin/Mod crew regarding an exact number, so I'm just floating around out here going with the flow. You know, reading threads , and junk.  :poke:

You guys need to start an all CGM thread 

46 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Did the Atlanta Falcons wet the bed against the Patriots after putting up huge numbers against them?  Did A&M wet the bed after losing a 35 point lead in the second half to UCLA?  I don't consider how many yards we gain against little sisters of the poor like Mercer a gauge to use on how you play against a very overmatched opponent.  What do they say about a team that has way too many penalties?  That they are coached poorly.  The same goes for a team that can't move the line of scrimmage against Mercer.  The same goes for a team that commits 5 turnovers.  It is coaching.  The buck stops with him.  I don't care if we had 1000 yards against Mercer if we are needing a strong 4th quarter to just pull the game out.

And Gus said as much, he said the turnovers are on him as a HC.  And the glaring issues Auburn has with WR routes, poor OL execution, and personnel management falls on Gus’ shoulders as well. I agree with you in the fact that the only stat that matters whether you make it to a conference championship or not, is the win column.  

18 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I’ll just add this...

It’s a lot easier to coach at Mississippi State/Vandy/Purdue and such then it is at Auburn.  Every practice, every rep, every play call, and every game is over analyzed.  

When you are playing with house money it’s a lot easier.  See Tuberville Ole Miss and first 2 years at Auburn as opposed to his last 5.  

Yes Gus is paid handsomely for his situation but when every game you’re coaching for your life makes for conservative play calling.  He wasn’t conservative in 2013/2014... 

That's subjective but Gus has done the same in games that he had house money

I can't understand why the Gus lovers think that those who are upset are only upset with how this season has started.  Where have you been the last 3 years?  We have seen no progress by the offense.  You're defending him because we put up 500 yards on GA Southern and Mercer??? Whaaaaaaat?????  Look at it this way, Gus is one miracle tipped pass (in yet another game where his taking the foot off the pedal nearly cost us) and one once in a lifetime special teams play(in a game where even the mighty Saban made some very questionable decisions that kept us in that game) from a 9, 8, 7, 8 win seasons with ZERO wins over Uga and UAt.  Let that sink in.  

Whatever criticism our head coach is getting, he can put an end to by changing his ways and adjusting his style. Most fans are irritated because he keeps making the same mistakes. 

Look closely at Sabans coaching history. He was very mediocre at Mich St his first 4 years, then broke through with 9 wins. He improved at LSU but 4 of his 5 seasons  he lost at least 3 games, including a 4 loss season and a 5 loss season.  He lost to UAB in Baton Rouge!  His first year at Bama he was 6-6 with a home loss to La-Monroe. The point is, even Saban had to learn to adjust his style and adapt to change.  Gus needs to learn to adjust his style and adapt to change.  If he can, he can regain his early mojo. If he can't, we will likely be hiring a new coach soon.  

I am not necessarily a Gus supporter, but I think we need to see how the next few games play out before we completely abandon our faith in him as HC. I am frustrated with the last two years as well, but there also was a considerable improvement between 2015-2016. We'd have finished with 9-10 wins in 2016 had it not been for injuries. We can still do the same this year. I doubt we compete for a NC, but the rest of the SEC is pretty down. If we make it past the hurdle of MS, our season looks promising up until Bama.

You don’t hire someone expecting them to change.  Yet he has for whatever reasons.  He’s changed his defense and now changing his offense.  He’s done everything the fans have asked.  Give up play calling, make the offense more multiple.  If all we throw is deep passes we need more short passes if we throw to many short passes we need more long throws.  We have led the league in rushing almost every year but now we complain about how he uses his running backs.  

On 9/18/2017 at 9:34 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Pondering the same thing 64. Haven't times changed? Can not help but believe we enjoyed the game more a few decades  ago.

That's because you, me, 64 and some others aren't from the "instant gratification, I'm entitled" generations.

Wow. Someone just banged Gus for hanging on to play calling after hiring chip. Then when Gus does finally give the play calling back I swear some cat says Gus did it because he could not handle it. I do not believe that is true.Gus would still be all over the offense if his bosses did not make him back off. Now we are rewriting the truth. I guess not being honest on remarks concerning Gus is a new trend. And some of you bash him on stuff like keeping the redshirt on Willis when he just announced at his presser Willis is the number two QB. Love him or hate him the way some of you are acting is shameful.

3 hours ago, Auburn06 said:

I don't know why everyone is so focused on Gus.. Should he go? Yes, but that's not the BIG PICTURE issue. The big picture is that Jay Jacobs needs to go or he will just hire another clown.  

Aaaand there it is!   I knew it wouldn't take long to become a bash Jacobs thread also.  Not that it isn't deserved but they all go back to Jacobs. 

Gus IS what is the problem with the offense. IDK if the problems will be fixed with giving Chip total control and NO! not just against mercer but for ALL THE GAMES but I am confident in saying it cannot get worse. If gus is not going to adapt when he is the one calling the plays then let someone who will which is what was supposed to happen when he brought in Chip to fix the passing game and lack of balance.

55 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I can't understand why the Gus lovers think that those who are upset are only upset with how this season has started.  Where have you been the last 3 years?  We have seen no progress by the offense.  You're defending him because we put up 500 yards on GA Southern and Mercer??? Whaaaaaaat?????  Look at it this way, Gus is one miracle tipped pass (in yet another game where his taking the foot off the pedal nearly cost us) and one once in a lifetime special teams play(in a game where even the mighty Saban made some very questionable decisions that kept us in that game) from a 9, 8, 7, 8 win seasons with ZERO wins over Uga and UAt.  Let that sink in.  

I was not defending him....was just saying those two games were not wetting the bed. Now Clemson can be identified as wetting the bed?. Like someone else said, I think there may be generational differences here.  I remember last year when Clemson played Troy and they "wet the bed" and then won the national championship. Not saying that will happen here but I would rather wait it out. I'm just not sure there is someone out there right now who will be so much better.  See exhibits tenn and maybe LSU. 

I was hoping for better results. But we are 2-1 and right where most predicted. It could go good or bad from here. I'm hoping it goes good. I don't know how anyone can moan like this and honestly ENJOY any success we may achieve from this point fwd. 

3 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I was not defending him....was just saying those two games were not wetting the bed. Now Clemson can be identified as wetting the bed?. Like someone else said, I think there may be generational differences here.  I remember last year when Clemson played Troy and they "wet the bed" and then won the national championship. Not saying that will happen here but I would rather wait it out. I'm just not sure there is someone out there right now who will be so much better.  See exhibits tenn and maybe LSU. 

I see what you are saying.  I'm not saying Gus should be fired during the season.  We need the whole body of work.  What I'm saying is he has lost the benefit of the doubt based on the last 3 years.  I am hoping like all get out he turns this thing around and we end up in ATL and everyone can make me and all the other Gus bashers eat crow. It would be the best tasting crow I ever ate!  But the old not sure if there is someone better argument is lame.  Do companies keep regularly under performing employees just because they are afraid they can't find a better employee??? After five full years we will know what we have. And if we finish 8-4 or 7-5 and lose to UGA and UAT again that won't be good enough anymore...or at least it shouldn't be.  Truth is we don't know if the next coach will be great or not but you know what, Clemson once took a shot on an unknown guy with no proven track record and look where they are now! 

19 hours ago, alexava said:

My question is how many crybaby fans can one program possibly have. How ridiculous do you think you sound bashing a coach and wanting him fired after two games of a season with 10 to go? If he goes " Chizik 2012" it will happen the morning after the iron bowl. But he might go 2013 all over again. Drink a beer or twelve, hope for the best and live with what happens. But for gods sake quit whining. It's more embarrassing to me than the offense vs Clemson. 

We don't know, that's exactly right. Given the current status of our opponents in the SEC West we don't know which way this thing is going to go. With a defense like the one we have now, it puts us in a position to make a nice run if this offense can make some improvement, especially on the O-line. Let's see how this thing plays out and enjoy the guys playing the game on Saturdays. We will know more in a month. 

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Why is 500+ yards in two cupcake games considered "wetting the bed"?

Man, you're going to make me run out of likes.

Ok really try this. Think about how many times you've thought what are we doing, or why would we try this here, or why do we keep running it right up the middle...then think about how many times you've thought to yourself....didn't see that play action coming or something like that....you can go back as far as three years....

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Whatever criticism our head coach is getting, he can put an end to by changing his ways and adjusting his style. Most fans are irritated because he keeps making the same mistakes. 

Look closely at Sabans coaching history. He was very mediocre at Mich St his first 4 years, then broke through with 9 wins. He improved at LSU but 4 of his 5 seasons  he lost at least 3 games, including a 4 loss season and a 5 loss season.  He lost to UAB in Baton Rouge!  His first year at Bama he was 6-6 with a home loss to La-Monroe. The point is, even Saban had to learn to adjust his style and adapt to change.  Gus needs to learn to adjust his style and adapt to change.  If he can, he can regain his early mojo. If he can't, we will likely be hiring a new coach soon.  

What did Saban change besides getting better talent? He changed coaches every once in a while. Pretty much same offense and defense since he has been in Tuscaloosa. 

Archived