Bashing Gus

AU64

3 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

What did Saban change besides getting better talent? He changed coaches every once in a while. Pretty much same offense and defense since he has been in Tuscaloosa. 

He learned how to be a CEO instead of the defensive coordinator. He learned how to trust his staff, and hold them accountable. He learned how to manage player development. He learned how to sustain success. Those things don't just happen.  And he's changed scheme and style multiple times. His OCs range from Jimbo Fisher, to Major Applewhite, to Jim McElwain, to Doug Nussmier, to Lane Kiffin, to Brian Daboll. He started with a fullback/two tight end pro style offense, then went to play action, then to a dual threat QB.  Gus tried to turn the reins over to Lashlee last year, and it lasted all of 5 or 6 games. And if better talent is the key, remember that AU has 5 or 6 years of top 10 recruiting classes. Does our on field performance reflect that?

My point is not to compare Saban and Gus. It is that no coach attains greatness without learning how to alter their approach. Gus is very bright and still early enough in to make some changes from lessons he's learned. I hope for our sake he does. WDE!?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok really try this. Think about how many times you've thought what are we doing, or why would we try this here, or why do we keep running it right up the middle...then think about how many times you've thought to yourself....didn't see that play action coming or something like that....you can go back as far as three years....

I thought hiring chip would change everything. I am still going to hold on to hope... 

17 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I see what you are saying.  I'm not saying Gus should be fired during the season.  We need the whole body of work.  What I'm saying is he has lost the benefit of the doubt based on the last 3 years.  I am hoping like all get out he turns this thing around and we end up in ATL and everyone can make me and all the other Gus bashers eat crow. It would be the best tasting crow I ever ate!  But the old not sure if there is someone better argument is lame.  Do companies keep regularly under performing employees just because they are afraid they can't find a better employee??? After five full years we will know what we have. And if we finish 8-4 or 7-5 and lose to UGA and UAT again that won't be good enough anymore...or at least it shouldn't be.  Truth is we don't know if the next coach will be great or not but you know what, Clemson once took a shot on an unknown guy with no proven track record and look where they are now! 

Yes Clemson.  Auburn with a lake......and a coach lol!

22 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

LSU, A&M, Arky, FLA, Tennessee, and Auburn are all at odds with their coaches in 2017. Which fanbase has the most realistic, tangible, list of grievances?

in order :   AU, ARK, A&M, TENN,FLA,LSU...actually, fla and LSU need to relax about their coaches

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's because you, me, 64 and some others aren't from the "instant gratification, I'm entitled" generations.

Honestly, I remember going to games and feeling proud, privileged, and blessed for being able to attend. 

Pay me $4 million and I will give permission to bash me as long and as much as anyone wants.

As far as I'm concerned I'm done criticizing. It is what it is and I'm a nobody. I have no influence. (Though on game days I have to be given the chance to vent for the safety of my wife and children lol) 

16 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

Pay me $4 million and I will give permission to bash me as long and as much as anyone wants.

As far as I'm concerned I'm done criticizing. It is what it is and I'm a nobody. I have no influence. (Though on game days I have to be given the chance to vent for the safety of my wife and children lol) 

About a dumb comment. It is not any fault of Auburn or Gus that $4 mil is the market rate for an SEC coach. BTW, the Gus buyout is one of the lower BOs in the conference. 

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

About a dumb comment. It is not any fault of Auburn or Gus that $4 mil is the market rate for an SEC coach. BTW, the Gus buyout is one of the lower BOs in the conference. 

And WHY is that the market rate??

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

What did Saban change besides getting better talent? He changed coaches every once in a while. Pretty much same offense and defense since he has been in Tuscaloosa. 

Actually, Saban has changed his offense quite a bit. To his credit. In many ways they are similar to our 2010 offense. 

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Actually, Saban has changed his offense quite a bit. To his credit. In many ways they are similar to our 2010 offense. 

Also has adjusted his defense when needed.  Changed from big, slow defensive linemen to smaller but quicker ones who could rush the passer.  Saban adapts to what is needed. Gus just stays Gus. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Also has adjusted his defense when needed.  Changed from big, slow defensive linemen to smaller but quicker ones who could rush the passer.  Saban adapts to what is needed. Gus just stays Gus. 

Good point on his Saban's defensive changes. As far as Gus is concerned, he has made good changes on defense. He has also made changes on offense, but for the worse. One could question why he isn't still running that 2010 offense and recruiting to that scheme? After all, it was quite successful. 

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Good point on his Saban's defensive changes. As far as Gus is concerned, he has made good changes on defense. He has also made changes on offense, but for the worse. One could question why he isn't still running that 2010 offense and recruiting to that scheme? After all, it was quite successful. 

Well, I'm not giving Gus a ton of credit for changing the defense.  He hired a new coordinator and it has worked out and my guess it has worked out largely because Gus has left Steele ALONE to run the defense...maybe that should tell him something about the OFFENSE.  2010 was quite successful but Cam made a lot of that work.  There were times where basically all Gus had to do was call "Cam up the middle, or Cam left or Cam right" and things would work out fine. What I can't figure out is why Gus seems to have stopped adapting his offense to his personnel which we had seen him do before Cam and at other schools.  Now he tries to adapt personnel to his scheme and that just doesn't always work. 

22 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Think he sorta stole that playbook. You are so right 78.

35 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Because the market can sustain it. Still a dumb comment by you. 

He makes that because of fan expectations and when those are not met this is what comes with the territory. I'm sure the debate team coach doesn't get bashed much.  I can't believe this millionaire gets so much sympathy from the sunshine pumpers on here! I get no pity at all in my life and $40K job. Not even from my wife! If Gus never coaches another down in his life, he's already made more than lots of us will ever dream. I have no pity for this guy anymore. He's had ample time to prove he can do the job he was hired for. Business decision. Move on to next guy. Nothing personal.

I haven't seen any bashing on here for anything personal. All has been about his performance on the job he was hired to do, which I think is completely inbounds and not off limits! 

4 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

You are wrong there. His offense this year does not even resemble his offense of two years ago. He has a true DT QB, and  certainly is not trying to make a drop back Passer out of Hurts. Saban wins because of superior talent for sure, but also because he demands superior effort, and sound fundamental football. 

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

You are wrong there. His offense this year does not even resemble his offense of two years ago. He has a true DT QB, and  certainly is not trying to make a drop back Passer out of Hurts. Saban wins because of superior talent for sure, but also because he demands superior effort, and sound fundamental football. 

His personnel is different ,not his offense. Hurts is DT but they run very few plays that are called runs or read option for Hurts. He gets his running yardage because he pulls the ball down and runs when the pocket collapses. It is very much a drop back scheme though. 

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

His personnel is different ,not his offense. Hurts is DT but they run very few plays that are called runs or read option for Hurts. He gets his running yardage because he pulls the ball down and runs when the pocket collapses. It is very much a drop back scheme though. 

I don't think you're watching enough of their games. Many times Hurts drops back with two options,  deep ball, or pull it down and run .Go back and watch games from 3- 4 years ago, and you will see mostly I formation multiple tight end sets with QB under center. You see almost none of that now.

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

As I previously said his personnel is different. His offense this year is much like his offense from when Coker was QB scheme wise. It's just that Hurts pull the ball down and runs it where Coker does not. Our 2009 and 2010 offense were mostly the same just that our QB were greatly different in talent. I see no resemblance of UA offense this year to our 2010 offense. 

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

I don't think you're watching enough of their games. Many times Hurts drops back with two options,  deep ball, or pull it down and run .Go back and watch games from 3- 4 years ago, and you will see mostly I formation multiple tight end sets with QB under center. You see almost none of that now.

You think those are designed plays? "Ridley you go long. Hurts you throw it to Ridley or run if he is not open". Hurts is running instead of looking to his second or third option. I read today that Ridley has been targeted 33 times this year and the next most targeted guy is 6. 

They have been running a lot of pistol and shotgun for a while now. If they ran 2 tight ends it is because OJ Howard was split in the slot. 

Everbody offense changes to their talent. Ours have. We quit running run option after Nick Marshall left but we were a very good running team. Our offense looks nothing like 2013/2014 so Gus has changed doesn't mean it's always good. 

Archived