AUApostle

5 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

I thinks it's more along the lines of "Sure we cheat, doesn't everybody"

no it's "we are uat nobody messes with us, we own college sports"

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Noticed al.com piece and looks like bama is about one day behind us in the scandal.

They got rid of one basketball staffer but that was just the low hanging fruit.   Names of players not being divulged yet  but you don't have to be the kid's mothers to know who they are referring too....couple recent highly rated recruits in question.

Colin Sexton

4 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I don't think any program should be throwing stones at this point.

Funny....that was the subject of the article by Kevin Scarb's piece on al.com.....bammers had gotten all excited about the AU problems ....and wham.....it hits their house too in less than a day...... 

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Colin Sexton

Good guess....you win a Kewpie doll for that.... :)     Oh.....also suspecting Petty .

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good guess....you win a Kewpie doll for that.... :)     Oh.....also suspecting Petty .

I'm extremely active on one of the Bama forums. Sexton is the player referred to. 

7 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Is there more than one involved?

Remains to be seen. Certainly possible. 

9 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Is it just me or can anyone else see a 30 for 30 on ESPN in a couple of years called 2017-2018 the year The FBI killed College Basketball 

how about how corruption and greed killed College Basketball?

18 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'm extremely active on one of the Bama forums. Sexton is the player referred to. 

Why exactly wasn't Kobie Baker arrested? If anything his offenses are worse off since he was a former employee for the NCAA and was in charge of enforcement for basketball.  He knew all the rules and loopholes.

Baker is “Staff Member 1” in the FBI complaints. He is alleged to have accepted $15,000 in total from Martin Blazer, who is the cooperating witness in the complaint, in an effort to get players in the Alabama program to retain Blazer’s services as a financial advisor.

In late August, a meeting was set up between Baker, Blazer and a suit-designer that was arrested on Tuesday to meet with a highly-rated Alabama freshman at a restaurant in Atlanta. Collin Sexton, a top ten prospect in the Class of 2017 and a freshman at Alabama, is from Atlanta.

Baker was alleged to have received $10,000 from Blazer at that meeting.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/27/alabama-basketball-administrator-kobie-baker-resigns-fbi-investigation

This is far from over.......and as for Baker....I'm betting that he has a lawyer by now.

23 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Why exactly wasn't Kobie Baker arrested? If anything his offenses are worse off since he was a former employee for the NCAA and was in charge of enforcement for basketball.  He knew all the rules and loopholes.

Baker is “Staff Member 1” in the FBI complaints. He is alleged to have accepted $15,000 in total from Martin Blazer, who is the cooperating witness in the complaint, in an effort to get players in the Alabama program to retain Blazer’s services as a financial advisor.

In late August, a meeting was set up between Baker, Blazer and a suit-designer that was arrested on Tuesday to meet with a highly-rated Alabama freshman at a restaurant in Atlanta. Collin Sexton, a top ten prospect in the Class of 2017 and a freshman at Alabama, is from Atlanta.

Baker was alleged to have received $10,000 from Blazer at that meeting.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/27/alabama-basketball-administrator-kobie-baker-resigns-fbi-investigation

It becomes illegal when the student athlete is given money and thus defrauds the University through future NCAA issues that cost the University money. 

Thats why the Alabama situation is still up in the air. It depends on whether any money, most likely that other unaccounted for 5k filtered down to Sexton or his family. 

Gotta say that having bama in the same boat with us does not salve my wounds one bit.  

I am not in the misery loves company mode right now.....just want AU to do the right thing and get the program back where is should be and try to get on with the season.   

Only good news nationally is that the Louisville problems have greatly eclipsed ours..... 

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

It may not be the death penalty from the NCAA but it could be the death penalty from recruits in the court of public opinion and a tool other schools will DEFINITELY use against us. So it might as well be the death penalty. It is not like we are a basketball powerhouse.

Depending on how wide this net eventually gets, it's possible that nobody will be using this scandal to negatively recruit

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gotta say that having bama in the same boat with us does not salve my wounds one bit.  

I am not in the misery loves company mode right now.....just want AU to do the right thing and get the program back where is should be and try to get on with the season.   

Only good news nationally is that the Louisville problems have greatly eclipsed ours..... 

If Sexton becomes ineligible, that will be some salve for my butthurt. He will be an NBA  lottery pick whether he goes to Bama or not at some point in his career.

12 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Well that essentially puts Bama in almost the same position as auburn doesn't it?  Although persons transgressions were "bigger" they are similar.

im kind of poking at everyone who sees the AU basketball program getting crushed and pearl fired.  If it happens to us then shouldn't it happen to the bams?

To me this has to look worse. Having an associate AD who is your compliance liaison for the SEC involved seems much worse than having an assistant coach doing it. He had to help out with all the one day investigations that were patented in tuscaloosa.

I despise Person for his stupidity and extreme lack of loyalty, but am hoping he gets his just due. It does seem plausible to some degree that other than the bad publicity, Auburn itself may not end up "burned at the stake" by the NCAA. There are no guarantees of this but just my opinion from reading deeper into what transpired. I am sure that after Auburn finishes it's due diligence along with it's law firm, there will be a dismissal of Person and the 2 athletes involved. I can live with that and move on. You can't call the parents and players involved ignorant because Person flat out told them they were going to be violating NCAA principles. Those 2 athletes need to  move on to the NBA and be forgotten.

In the long term, it would seem prudent to me that the NCAA (given how widespread this cancer is) should simply require ALL Basketball programs under it's jurisdiction to perform thorough in-house investigations and report their formal findings to the NCAA for review. After that, it could become clearer to the NCAA as to what direction it should or should not take. JMHO  

22 minutes ago, selias said:

Depending on how wide this net eventually gets, it's possible that nobody will be using this scandal to negatively recruit

That is a good point.

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

I despise Person for his stupidity and extreme lack of loyalty, but am hoping he gets his just due. It does seem plausible to some degree that other than the bad publicity, Auburn itself may not end up "burned at the stake" by the NCAA. There are no guarantees of this but just my opinion from reading deeper into what transpired. I am sure that after Auburn finishes it's due diligence along with it's law firm, there will be a dismissal of Person and the 2 athletes involved. I can live with that and move on. You can't call the parents and players involved ignorant because Person flat out told them they were going to be violating NCAA principles. Those 2 athletes need to  move on to the NBA and be forgotten.

In the long term, it would seem prudent to me that the NCAA (given how widespread this cancer is) should simply require ALL Basketball programs under it's jurisdiction to perform thorough in-house investigations and report their formal findings to the NCAA for review. After that, it could become clearer to the NCAA as to what direction it should or should not take. JMHO  

if this thing is as big ( i am positive that it is) as it is rumored to be, thats about all that they can do.    The reason is that these schools are lawyering up and there is no way that they could have known this scheme was going on, outside those involved because they were not going rat each other out

29 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if this thing is as big ( i am positive that it is) as it is rumored to be, thats about all that they can do.    The reason is that these schools are lawyering up and there is no way that they could have known this scheme was going on, outside those involved because they were not going rat each other out

Get through this and hope Coach Pearl can come out on top and our program can shake off the dirt that Person left behind.

"During a telephone call with Blazer, Person said he was giving Michel a portion of the bribes, but complained that Michel was trying to "double dip." But that's what Person tried to do when he arranged for an unidentified financial adviser in Alabama to meet with a second unnamed Auburn player. The meeting occurred at Person's house in January, and the FBI believed that he "initially intended for the [advisor] and [Blazer] to jointly represent Player-2, so that Person could receive money from both individuals."

ive read this multiple times now and it still sounds crazy. 

2 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I don't think any program should be throwing stones at this point.

exactly...this appears to be across the board...

Pitino seems to have been confirmed as coach 2 in the DOJ's release. Louisville is boned. 

Archived