Chuck Person

AUApostle

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bruce is found to be clean in this instance w/e punishments that may be doled out to AU could prompt Bruce to find somewhere easier to win at.

On the flip side, his history plus this damn Person thing makes it pretty hard for another school to hire him

So, following Auburn's in-house investigation, if the private lawfirm determines that the rest of the program and athletic department knew nothing could we possibly self impose some sanctions and maybe come out with lesser damages?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

This is false. Maybe this fits for one of their athletes.

And Saban has likened these agents as pimps. He’s clearly against them. “We only paid players to steer them to agents” really isn’t any better than paying them to come to Auburn. Quite frankly, I’m not so sure we were clean in recruiting anymore either. 

Logic would tell us "if" Chuck Persons was paying our top NBA hopefuls to leave Auburn and coaching them on breaking NCAA rules,  then he would have no problem providing inducements to get those top future NBA players to come to Auburn.   

His scheme can't work if he doesn't have an inventory of top shelf talent where he has unlimited access to the player and the main decision maker in the household.

The pimp has to get the stock in the brothel before he could whore them out to the highest bidder.  

Disgusting, I know.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Logic would tell us "if" Chuck Persons was paying our top NBA hopefuls to leave Auburn and coaching them on breaking NCAA rules,  then he would have no problem providing inducements to get those top future NBA players to come to Auburn.   

His scheme can't work if he doesn't have an inventory of top shelf talent where he has unlimited access to the player and the main decision maker in the household.

The pimp has to get the stock in the brothel before he could whore them out to the highest bidder.  

Disgusting, I know.

Given the fact that Person was so stupid in the way he went about this (meeting in public at restaurants around AU, signing a promissory note that leaves a paper trail, not doing simple investigation on the people he was working with on this scheme), I have a hard time believing he's been at this very long.  If he HAS  been at it, it's a miracle he didn't get caught before now, because he's dumb. 

He got presented with an opportunity to make some quick cash and he simply took the bait.  (He wasn't the one proposing this scheme, he was presented this scheme "at the direction of the authorities" by a money manager who seemed legit).  If only he had a phone and had typed the money manager's name into his browser to make sure there wasn't anything amiss.  "Hmm...this search says your firm is under SEC investigation....."  If you're gonna cheat, you gotta be better at it than this. 

Guess the subject of de-commits is taking place elsewhere but the shoe is falling all over the country as 5* player de-commit...AU and Louisville this morning...probably others too.    Wonder if they are worried that their "sponsors" won't get the money they have been promised? 

3 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

on another note.  It looks to me like Person Short changed the Mammas and he got the real money.

Yup. And each mama got a different amount lol

The NCAA will have to play this one carefully as well.  With the FBI stating multiple programs were "victims", they may very well find themselves in a hell of a lawsuit should they decide to get cute (don't really care about the plausible deniability).  

6 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

The NCAA will have to play this one carefully as well.  With the FBI stating multiple programs were "victims", they may very well find themselves in a hell of a lawsuit should they decide to get cute (don't really care about the plausible deniability).  

Very interesting point...

1 hour ago, im4au said:

Interesting Bloomberg read:  https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2017-09-26/fbi-is-doing-the-ncaa-s-dirty-work-in-college-basketball-case

Indictments are much easier to get than convictions, and turning these indictments into convictions may be difficult.  

Fed indictments have a very high conviction rate.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

If Bruce is found to be clean in this instance w/e punishments that may be doled out to AU could prompt Bruce to find somewhere easier to win at.

On the flip side, his history plus this damn Person thing makes it pretty hard for another school to hire him

I think it's more of the latter, ride it for a year or so then the Former, after.

If there's no evidence of his or Auburns knowledge then we might be able to ride it out, but who knows with the NCAA. I think Bruce will be loyal because we gave him another shot. For a bit

1 hour ago, im4au said:

Interesting Bloomberg read:  https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2017-09-26/fbi-is-doing-the-ncaa-s-dirty-work-in-college-basketball-case

Indictments are much easier to get than convictions, and turning these indictments into convictions may be difficult.  

I heard it said one time that, "When the suits (Feds) come asking questions, they already know the answers."  Cases like this don't make the news until it's airtight. Plus, if you read the indictment, Person made their job so easy with how freely he talked. 

21 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I think it's more of the latter, ride it for a year or so then the Former, after.

If there's no evidence of his or Auburns knowledge then we might be able to ride it out, but who knows with the NCAA. I think Bruce will be loyal because we gave him another shot. For a bit

I'm hoping you're right! 

14 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

I heard it said one time that, "When the suits (Feds) come asking questions, they already know the answers."  Cases like this don't make the news until it's airtight. Plus, if you read the indictment, Person made their job so easy with how freely he talked. 

He made that NCAA investigators job pretty easy too.....the dumb ass literally coached the student-athlete and his parent on how to break the NCAA rules and laid out "how it's done", cautioned them to not tell anyone because it was against NCAA rules.  

9 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

As the article states, indictments are gained with the defense being an empty chair.  A defense attorney would characterize the payments as finders' fees, not bribes.  Paying an adult to sign a contract or act as an agent to get another to sign a contract isn't fraud.  Person admitted to misrepresenting his relationship with the financial agent, and he'll have to defend that.  Plus, there may be tax issues.  And you have a very idealistic view of the FBI.  If you watch the press conference video you'll see at the end that the FBI spokesperson didn't know what was in the indictment and the US Attorney had to interject.  US Attorney's, by the way, can be politically ambitious and enjoy the limelight.

4 minutes ago, im4au said:

As the article states, indictments are gained with the defense being an empty chair.  A defense attorney would characterize the payments as finders' fees, not bribes.  Paying an adult to sign a contract or act as an agent to get another to sign a contract isn't fraud.  Person admitted to misrepresenting his relationship with the financial agent, and he'll have to defend that.  Plus, there may be tax issues.  And you have a very idealistic view of the FBI.  If you watch the press conference video you'll see at the end that the FBI spokesperson didn't know what was in the indictment and the US Attorney had to interject.  US Attorney's, by the way, can be politically ambitious and enjoy the limelight.

I'll definitely say that the attorney in the news conference was enjoying the limelight.  He wasn't just reading the charges.  He made it sound like a dramatic reading.  "You will find yourself in the dark underbelly of college basketball."  and "The picture painted by the charges brought today is not a pretty one. Managers and financial advisers circling blue chip prospects like coyotes....."  Spare me the "dark underbelly" and "circling like coyotes", goober.  Just highlight the charges and let me get back to worrying about the prospects of a crumbling AU basketball season and banishment to the cellar of the basketball rankings for the next decade.     

Archived