Score Prediction- LSU (merged threads)

tbone1430

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

We are going to beat LSU by two TD's or more.  I do not see where their O is better,. Yet our D is.     We are not settling for FG's this year either.  

I have not seen anything from LSU to leave me concerned about them on offense or defense.  They managed 7 points against Mississippi State (the same defense that gave up 49 to Auburn), 21 points (at home) against FBS powerhouse Troy, and 17 points against Florida.  In those same three games, LSU's defense gave up 37, 24, and 16 points, respectively.  The only common opponent gave them a drubbing, only to receive an even worse drubbing against Auburn a few weeks later.  LSU's big win against Florida is really not impressive at all.  Auburn's demonstrated A-game is much better than LSU's.

It is LSU, so I will not count it as a win until the clock shows 0:00 remaining in the 4th quarter.  That said, everything indicates that Auburn is likely about to break its Tiger Stadium losing streak against an uncharacteristically inferior LSU team.

I will never take this game in Baton Rouge for granted until we've gotten a win there this Millennium. They could be 0-6 and I'd still be worried.

Please stop being cocky people! Not that our views on the subject matter, but I really think we need to realize that LSU could win this game. LSU will be motivated and they likely see this game as the defining moment of their season.  

One word....well, two. Homecoming-Troy. 

I can see this one going one of two ways:

AU jumps on whoville early, gets the crowd and whoville’s pride out of the game early and we run away with it 41-10 AU (whoville is not good this year and the earlier we remind them of this the better.  Our DL vs their OL is the biggest mismatch in the game)

Or what I think is more likely:

LSU begins with a lot of confidence (they can use the FL win and our history at the Red Stick as ammo)  Plus, I think this game may be their “season maker”.  They have enough athletes in enough places to make this game close. When it comes to in-game adjustments, I haven’t seen anything on AU’s offensive side to give me any confidence. In this scenario, DC wins in a game similar to last year   AU 15 whoville 10

• WarTiger changed the title to Score Prediction- LSU (merged threads)
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 7:00 AM, thecolonel said:

I think the real key to this game is the Look-a-Like Thread - without it we're doomed.  I'd start it but I'm awful at such things 

Then we are covered.  That thread has been up since Saturday night. Just got pushed down to next page. 

I like our  changes of shutting down their run game and I think they will have a real hard time beating us through the air. I'm very interested in seeing how our O does against their D. Our run game could struggle as well but i think we have the passing offense to be successful anyway. 

30 - 17 AU

9 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Please stop being cocky people! Not that our views on the subject matter, but I really think we need to realize that LSU could win this game. LSU will be motivated and they likely see this game as the defining moment of their season.  

Well theoretically, any team can beat another.  But it's not cockiness to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of teams, see that objectively we have advantages everywhere, and thus should expect to win.  Vegas has us as a 7 point favorite on the road, which means on a neutral field they would favor us by at least 10.  It's also really hard for a team to get up two straight weeks, which LSU will have to do.  I think you underestimate how nasty that Florida game has become.

From a football perspective, LSU is starting a young offensive line, has a QB that doesn't throw very accurately, an average receiving corps, and a banged up running back.  Now couple that with playing against our defense, especially the D-Line, and we have obvious advantages.

As for the other side of the ball, they only go 5-6 deep on the DL and it's going to be hot.  Meanwhile, our o-line and running game have been much better plus our QB can actually stretch the field when needed.  Don't forget that Troy pushed their D-line around just two weeks ago.  And I haven't even started on field goal kickers.

Point being, confidence and cockiness are two different things.  I'm confident Auburn has the better team.  I'm also confident that if we continue to play well, there's not much LSU can do to keep up on the scoreboard.

20 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Here is an assessment from their tiger rant board (ouch!):

Auburn isn't as good as many thinkPosted on 10/10/17 at 12:07 pm
They've played two teams worth their weight so far this season in Clemson and Moo St. Clemson shut down their offense and sacked Stidham a million times and State seppuku'd themselves at Jerden Hair. 

They have some nice defensive linemen. Their LBs tackle well. They have a nice RB. Their OL is above average. Their QB has a nice arm. 

But they're not anywhere near as good as they want you to believe. Their QB panics when his first read isn't there. Their OL average against a DL with a pulse. Their receiving corps is nothing special. Their RB, Kerryon Johnson, is nice but needs gaping holes to get anything going. 

Their DL has some studs in Nick Coe, Marlon Davidson, and Jeff Holland and they'll make a lot of plays but they can be neutralized if you force them to read instead of attack. 

Their LB corps tackles well but there's no Devin White or Kendell Beckwith in the group. They've looked so good thus far because their DL has been dominating inferior opponents. 

Their secondary is absolute garbage and LSU has the receiver talent to beat them over the top consistently. Getting the ball to the good guys is a different question though. Auburn crowds 5-10 yards beyond the LOS to shut down the short routes and trusts their DL to pressure the QB. 

The bottom line is that this Auburn team is good but not great. Their biggest advantage is their DL over the LSU OL and I expect Canada to use a lot of misdirection in attempts to get their front out of position. All of LSU's ball carriers will need to lower their heads and grind for yards in this one as they'll be selling out to stop the run. Guice and Williams will need to be battering rams. 

The LSU defense should be okay as long as they fit well and tackle early. When Kerryon Johnson gets going it's hard to stop him and you'll see what you saw with Florida's Malik Davis. Stidham isn't anything special and if DBU can shut down his primary reads it'll be a long day for him. 

I expect a close game that can go either way. There's no way in hell Auburn is going to blow out LSU at home. This is a completely different team than the one we saw the first five weeks. Leaders have stepped up and our guys are playing with their balls out now. We need to show up early and loud and stay for 4 quarters. Auburn is a first half team and if they don't get the ball rolling early they will fold.

I thought this would be some straight nonsense, but honestly if we're being real with ourselves, they made some good points. Not all is right, obviously like Stidham not being special and secondary being garbage. Hopefully we let them keep thinking that we're a 1st half team and then Gus does what he should do and keep our foot on their necks. Gonna be a fun one!

All depends on how the offensive line works. With it looking like Horton to miss this game, we will not be moving the ball at will. I hate to say it, but Tega has flat out looked awful in his appearances so far this year. He is likely to replace Horton. So, with that, I am not very confident in this game. I hate to give a score prediction, but my confidence level is a 0 right now. If Tega can actually show up for once and we can get the ball moving, then I’ll start feeling better. 

Let's see.  Down in the Bayou-----  Ed fighting for his life and the Tigers who have all the talent in the world fighting for pride and believing they have AU's # ?

Auburn outlasts the emotional push, and wins 24 to 16

A couple of facts from Phillip Marshall article I found interesting:

1. Last week vs OM, Auburn’s 391 first-half yards were the second most in a half in Auburn history.

2. Auburn has held opponents without a first-quarter touchdown 10 times in the past 11 games.

Assuming a turnover margin of +/-1, here's my prediction.  At half time, we are up 21-3 (maybe more). End of 3rd, 35-6, final of 38-16.

They get 10 points against our backups and next week we hear more complaints that we didn't "look good" in the 4th and we should have let Malik throw more. (to which I refer back to the Curley INT fest)  Just get the W and move on to the next one.

I resurrected my "half scientific analytic" spreadsheet from 2013. LOL

It was pretty accurate that season. Have to use it after at least 4-5 games to have a sample size to work from.

AU-----27

LSU----14 

Archived