Happy Cam Newton Cleared Day!

TitanTiger

• TitanTiger changed the title to Happy Cam Newton Cleared Day!

7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I still say we got a deal on Cam lol

TBH, even now

I'm a bit uneasy seeing "deal" and "Cam" in the same sentence.

24 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

TBH, even now

yea . Just wanted to break the ice . 

33 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

yea . Just wanted to break the ice . 

You could say it it was a... Stealmoray.jpg

Honest truth... I never once thought our hands were dirty on this. Still sucks soooooooo badly though. I still hear people who aren't even that interested in CFB call him Scam Newton and tell me that we bought our title. 

The football gods always seem to make us pay for the good years. 

Just imagine for a minute where this program would be had the NCAA ruled the way practically EVERYONE thought they would rule. We would have had probation for a couple of years (although 2011 and 2012 felt a lot like probation as bad as those teams were) then we probably would still be in the rebuilding process. 

21 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

TBH, even now

Had a Bammer family member convince me Cam wasn't bought by Auburn.

His logic? Had people been bidding on Cam, no way would Auburn have outbid Alabama. :lol:

Doesn't mean much coming from a dyed in the wool Auburn guy but I really don't think we paid him.  Situation was too toxic with MSU involved.  Not saying perhaps we wouldn't have paid him but I don't think we did.  Plus its not as if everyone knew what Cam was going to be.  I think he was the 1 ranked JUCO guy that year but there is no guarantee in that.  Heck it seemed even the coaches didn't really know what they had until about 4 games into the season so to think there was this huge bidding war is kinda crazy.  

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Honest truth... I never once thought our hands were dirty on this. Still sucks soooooooo badly though. I still hear people who aren't even that interested in CFB call him Scam Newton and tell me that we bought our title. 

The football gods always seem to make us pay for the good years. 

Yeah, that's why I thought the game in 2013-14 was so important to get these jokers off our backs. Another title would be sweet. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Doesn't mean much coming from a dyed in the wool Auburn guy but I really don't think we paid him.  Situation was too toxic with MSU involved.  Not saying perhaps we wouldn't have paid him but I don't think we did.  Plus its not as if everyone knew what Cam was going to be.  I think he was the 1 ranked JUCO guy that year but there is no guarantee in that.  Heck it seemed even the coaches didn't really know what they had until about 4 games into the season so to think there was this huge bidding war is kinda crazy.  

YUP. There are a lot of reasons it doesn't pan out logically.

Also, what even nervous Auburn fans fail to acknowledge is that *every road leads to Kenny Rogers*, a *super shady guy* and an *MSU alum*. 

If you only look at the facts, it makes no sense that the story got to the point that it did. But, when you consider how information is actually exchanged and processed, welp, eff you Pete Thamel, Thayer Evans and Pat Forde. Big thanks to Kenny Rogers, though. Cam was totally headed to MSU but Rogers screwed it all up for them. 

It doesn't matter what any other fans or "journalists" think, an NCAA investigation cleared us. How many teams can claim that. Yeah, they won championships but did they cheat? Were they checked out by the NCAA and cleared? One of the most scrutinized teams that everybody was sure had bought a national championship and in the end we may be the only team that has a legitimate claim to winning a national championship honest. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

YUP. There are a lot of reasons it doesn't pan out logically.

Also, what even nervous Auburn fans fail to acknowledge is that *every road leads to Kenny Rogers*, a *super shady guy* and an *MSU alum*. 

If you only look at the facts, it makes no sense that the story got to the point that it did. But, when you consider how information is actually exchanged and processed, welp, eff you Pete Thamel, Thayer Evans and Pat Forde. Big thanks to Kenny Rogers, though. Cam was totally headed to MSU but Rogers screwed it all up for them. 

Along these lines, Cecil knew he screwed up with Kenny Rodgers and had to find Cam a new home.  Auburn was a willing participant with no knowledge of the stink at MSU IMO.   Cecil was not going to make the same mistake again, so no way he would repeat the error of “offering” Cam for money to Auburn.  Cecil was hoping “the darkness would be his friend”, but Mullen was too but hurt to let it go even though it would shine a bad light on his program.

I remember the interview he gave after the Auburn game in Starkville in 2010 where he eluded to wrong doing.  It festered a while and went viral after the Kentucky game that year, just in time for Amen Corner.  So well timed, but a complete fail.  I really admire Gene for the way he handled the situation.

Archived