"This game will likely cost us our jobs"

AUApostle

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rocket Science:

“What did LSU’s defense do at half-time? Two things: they employed more run blitzes, but the most important thing, obviously, they moved the safety into the box,” Landry explains.

Landry expected Auburn to change its offensive focus to make the home-standing Tigers pay for their adjustments, but Auburn never did.

“I made the safe assumption that Auburn was now going to attack the middle of the field,” Landry said. “The middle of the field was displaced as LSU was having to overplay the run. So now Auburn’s got LSU where they want them. They got ‘em on the run… so Auburn’s going to attack the middle of the field.

“Well, no, they didn’t. Inexplicably, Auburn continued to run the football. With a 20 point lead there were 17 consecutive runs on first down by Auburn.”

After watching the coach’s tape, Landry says there was ample spacing to complete intermediate passing routes.

Do we really need to pay some coach more than Malzahn to figure this out???

5 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

This game at Arkansas will be telling if the staff is still cohesive. My gut feeling is a no.

Gus will have his headset up during the Arky game to prove, once again, he is not calling the plays.  We will have a huge lead at half and Gus, during halftime, will instruct CCL to play MW in the 3rd Qtr and MW will not throw a pass as we will be running out the clock as to not embarrass CBB.  No need to get MW ready for next year or even to be a competent backup this year.

This plan will, in Gus’ mind, vindicate his actions in the LSU game.  The real test will be the T A&M game after a bye week.  With Mond improving and the Chief running their defense, if Gus pulls that same crap he pulls in close games, we loose this one.  Time will tell.

“The biggest flaw for auburn’s offense was not, not getting away running the football, you’ve got to run the football…the biggest flaw Auburn had offensively was the vertical throws,” Landry said. “That was beyond an inane strategy. First of all, it’s a low percentage play. Second of all, it’s a lower percentage play against LSU’s corners. To attack their corners, man-to-man in 50-50 balls, they’re going to win them.

You mean he's not an offensive genius????

27 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

This game at Arkansas will be telling if the staff is still cohesive. My gut feeling is a no.

Other than Gus blowing the 18 point lead in the national championship game, the LSU loss was the worst loss I've seen in maybe 20 years. Gus should've been fired this week.  I won't be watching the game this Saturday, decided to go hunting instead, but it'll be interesting to see if the coaches and players still believe in Gus and play hard.

What I see happening this week is Gus will step back and let Chip run the O. We will look like world beaters and we will all become even more incensed over last weeks loss. That or Gus will run things, we will lose and look inept doing so, leading us to become more incensed he was not fired this week.

Either way, it won't be a good week for AU fans.

Here is the fact of what folks should be teed off about just in the last 14 months. After the crap start last year with the joke offense at Clemson Gus admitted he was at fault and swore he would turn over the offense to Rhett. We won  the next few games against cupcakes and a miraculous finish against LSU, Gus took back over and resulted in a crappy finish. So he decided to fire Rhett to take the heat of him. Then he went out and hired Chip. If you check the post from last year you will see I was called out over and over again about my disappointment in the hire. I told you then that Jacobs told him to hire a real time OC that would not allow him to use him for cover. He refused and got his way. I told you then that it would result in both Jacobs and Gus losing their jobs this year. That is the way it will turn out. So why didn’t JJ just fire Gus last year ? Because he couldn’t justify to the PTB why in his stupidity had given Gus a huge buyout. So he tucked his tale and let Gus have his way, knowing full well this would be the result. So the PTB need to now Jacobs is just as guilty as Gusin this whole thing. Everyone on here thought Chip would be the answer but I told you then Gus had no plans to do more than let Chip be an ornament on the tree. Then this year, sure enough Gus jumps right back in to calling the O.  After the three game clown show he promises once again to get out of the way. After 3 impressive games by the offense he jumps in again to totally destroy the team. Now again he owns up and promises again that things will change. To put it mildly only fools allow themselves to continue belive a proven liar. Their is no doubt that Gus is a liar. Can he help himself ? Doesn’t mater grownups have to call him out for the sake of Auburn and the sake of these young men. In my honest opinion the worst excuses for a person who claims to be a fan of Auburn is to keep excepting the lies from this man. No matter what the results of the next few ballgames is, this liar and the AD that allowed the lies to continue need to be gone from AU. I hope the Dr. Leath has the strength and moral fabric to send both packing.

So the loss to Au last year was a coach killer - cost Les Miles his job. Now it appears that a loss to Lsu may do the same thing to Gus. Weird how these things happen.

2 things:

1) This intermediate passing game has been missing, for the most part, a long time at AU. We saw a glimpse of it during the ole miss game but only a little. IMO the lack of quick throws/intermediate passing is the reason we lost to Clemson. It is the reason we lost to Lsu. The offense is so ridiculous and simple - run up the middle a bunch and throw it deep. Works against bad teams. Never works against good teams. Everyone sees it and Au fans have been complaining about it for years. 

2) Also Gus is different now that he is a head coach than he was as an OC as far as philosophy. Everyone can see that in close "must win" games, Gus is scared. He now plays not to lose instead of playing to win. This has backfired a few times and now he has backed himself into a corner he can't get out of unless he wins out... and that is not happening. Like the article says - this game will probably cost them their jobs. There was a small chance that they could have gone 9-3 with loses to uga and uat and still kept their jobs, although it would have been irritating and Jaba. Again... at this point there is no chance he stays unless we win out. Ticket sales will bomb and the backlash will be too much.

He said it himself during his press conference this week - he has to win out now - but truthfully not just to win the SEC but this to keep his job. 

It doesn’t matter what he wins he needs to be gone. He really needs to be gone now. LSU fires Les not for the game last year but because of the time management issue that had been going on over and over again. It doesn’t matter how many games you win, if you have a problem that continues to cause you to lose games you shouldn’t , and you won’t or can’t fix it then you need to be fired. Gus has shown this over and over. He will not fix the problem. If he stays here another 20 years he won’t fix the problem. So at best each year we will come up close but he will blow a game or two like the FSU  championship game. He gets credit for getting to the game but no credit for throwing the championship away.

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus will have his headset up during the Arky game to prove, once again, he is not calling the plays.  We will have a huge lead at half and Gus, during halftime, will instruct CCL to play MW in the 3rd Qtr and MW will not throw a pass as we will be running out the clock as to not embarrass CBB.  No need to get MW ready for next year or even to be a competent backup this year.

This plan will, in Gus’ mind, vindicate his actions in the LSU game.  The real test will be the T A&M game after a bye week.  With Mond improving and the Chief running their defense, if Gus pulls that same crap he pulls in close games, we loose this one.  Time will tell.

Perfectly worded. Every single minute of the Arky game will be used to battle those perceptions, irrespective of what is needed at the moment, and what will improve the team as is needed weekly. Your prediction will be proven 100% accurate, and Bret Blimpa knows this too, btw. 

This article clearly exemplifies what is DRIVING ME INSANE with Gus!!!! 

ZERO ADJUSTMENTS IN THE OFFENSIVE GAME PLAN TO COUNTER THE DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS...ZERO. I have no coaching experience and I would have at least ATTEMPTED to adjust. Hell, even the TV announcers had it figured out early in the 3rd. 

Gus has a tendency to double down on what he is trying to do when it isn't working. He has done it time and time again, and he'll continue to do it. It's a freaking psychosis that he can't let go of. The term "take what the defense gives you" is a complete anathema to him. When called on it, he gives some ham fisted tone deaf coachspeak response that means nothing. He staunchly refuses to change. 

This is why my confidence level is ZERO in games vs. equal or better talent. All these opponents have to do is counter our initial game plan and it's game over. It's maddening! We can't emulate his inflexibility by thinking that he's finally learned from his mistakes. He has proven time and time again that he won't change and that's the reason he's no longer the guy for Auburn. 

His teams generally lose focus at halftime.  He might consider leaving the team on the field and the coaches in the press box.  That way at least whatever happens at halftime to ruin the momentum doesn't keep happening.  They're not spending time together making adjustments anyway.

It's not just this loss that is losing them their jobs:

2014 : BCS NC Game : Auburn leads 21-10 at the half.  Auburn implements the Desperation Turtle Offense and loses game 34-31 inside the last minute.  The first time in BCS Championship history a team scores first and yet loses the championship game.

2017 : AU vs LSU : Auburn leads 23-14 at the half. Auburn implements the Desperation Turtle Offense and loses game inside the last 3 minutes.  I'm sure we set some sort of school record for LSU comebacks or something...

This is who Gus Malzahn is.  He is a choker.  He has not changed one whit in 4 years!  And he seems unable to change, even when his career is on the line!  That is what's losing him his job and losing them their jobs. 

Honest mediocrity with a real chance for improvement is better than this choking clown show.  Fire Gus Malzahn today.  

-Sorry.  Still angry.

Although there's no way to prove it, I'd bet that Gus's limited play selection has become so predictable that a good Defensive Coordinator more often than not knows what play Gus will run before Gus knows it himself.  

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Although there's no way to prove it, I'd bet that Gus's limited play selection has become so predictable that a good Defensive Coordinator more often than not knows what play Gus will run before Gus knows it himself.  

Why does it work in the first half?

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Well my 9 year old knows what we are going to run and I am pretty sure she has never coached so I think your assumption is correct. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Why does it work in the first half?

It usually works in the 1st quarter because we playing to win. Then we get the lead and we all know what is coming. run, run, run... (repeat)

2 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

Still cohesive?  Hell, auburn4ever said they don't even speak to each other and haven't for weeks.  The atmosphere is somber and silent among the coaches and staffers.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Still cohesive?  Hell, auburn4ever said they don't even speak to each other and haven't for weeks.  The atmosphere is somber and silent among the coaches and staffers.

I stand corrected.

What a time to be an Auburn Tiger!

The bad things about most of those runs is they seem to be straight up the middle, no toss sweep, no off tackle, no counter. ..?

Archived