"This game will likely cost us our jobs"

AUApostle

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

“The biggest flaw for auburn’s offense was not, not getting away running the football, you’ve got to run the football…the biggest flaw Auburn had offensively was the vertical throws,” Landry said. “That was beyond an inane strategy. First of all, it’s a low percentage play. Second of all, it’s a lower percentage play against LSU’s corners. To attack their corners, man-to-man in 50-50 balls, they’re going to win them.

You mean he's not an offensive genius????

This show started to unravel in 2014 with the loss to aTm followed by 2 more SEC losses and a bowl loss to a retired Wisky HC (Alvarez.) 

Then 2015 with JJ at QB, had to squeak by with an OT win vs JaxState and went on to lose 6 SEC games landing AU last in the division a bowl win facing Memphis in freaking Legion Field Birmingham bowl. :angry:

Then on to 2016 with idiotic, head scratching scheme that lost the Clemson game, a last second W over LSU where Miles got canned, and then on to 3 more SEC losses and with an 8-4 record somehow made the prestigious Sugar Bowl ending in loss to Oklahoma. 

Now here we are mid-season 2017 doing the same exact complaining & moaning about the same old stuff. 

Patience with this project (coach in training) should be gone at this point.  The experiment has been measured, tested, adjusted, re-measured, re-tested and has come up lacking in too many phases.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Here is the fact of what folks should be teed off about just in the last 14 months. After the crap start last year with the joke offense at Clemson Gus admitted he was at fault and swore he would turn over the offense to Rhett. We won  the next few games against cupcakes and a miraculous finish against LSU, Gus took back over and resulted in a crappy finish. So he decided to fire Rhett to take the heat of him. Then he went out and hired Chip. If you check the post from last year you will see I was called out over and over again about my disappointment in the hire. I told you then that Jacobs told him to hire a real time OC that would not allow him to use him for cover. He refused and got his way. I told you then that it would result in both Jacobs and Gus losing their jobs this year. That is the way it will turn out. So why didn’t JJ just fire Gus last year ? Because he couldn’t justify to the PTB why in his stupidity had given Gus a huge buyout. So he tucked his tale and let Gus have his way, knowing full well this would be the result. So the PTB need to now Jacobs is just as guilty as Gusin this whole thing. Everyone on here thought Chip would be the answer but I told you then Gus had no plans to do more than let Chip be an ornament on the tree. Then this year, sure enough Gus jumps right back in to calling the O.  After the three game clown show he promises once again to get out of the way. After 3 impressive games by the offense he jumps in again to totally destroy the team. Now again he owns up and promises again that things will change. To put it mildly only fools allow themselves to continue belive a proven liar. Their is no doubt that Gus is a liar. Can he help himself ? Doesn’t mater grownups have to call him out for the sake of Auburn and the sake of these young men. In my honest opinion the worst excuses for a person who claims to be a fan of Auburn is to keep excepting the lies from this man. No matter what the results of the next few ballgames is, this liar and the AD that allowed the lies to continue need to be gone from AU. I hope the Dr. Leath has the strength and moral fabric to send both packing.

I think you pretty much nailed it, except for the part about JJ losing his job over this. I think he will lose his job over the other scandals instead....or maybe a combination of everything. I just don't think that the PTB would fire him over Gus' buyout. We've been down that road before. 

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

Still cohesive?  Hell, auburn4ever said they don't even speak to each other and haven't for weeks.  The atmosphere is somber and silent among the coaches and staffers.

Where was that said? I must have missed that comment.

Just now, alexava said:

im not sure he is our noted source of auburn info:dunno:

You are not getting him confused with auburn4ever are you?  Also, who do you think is our noted source of inside AU info on this board?

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

You are not getting him confused with auburn4ever are you?  Also, who do you think is our noted source of inside AU info on this board?

wde

i did. i apologize .

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

What I see happening this week is Gus will step back and let Chip run the O. We will look like world beaters and we will all become even more incensed over last weeks loss. That or Gus will run things, we will lose and look inept doing so, leading us to become more incensed he was not fired this week.

Either way, it won't be a good week for AU fans.

Thats disheartening, coming from you... It's the truth, but it is what it is. Good point.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Well my 9 year old knows what we are going to run and I am pretty sure she has never coached so I think your assumption is correct. 

Mine too, it's funny when that happens.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

im not sure he is our noted source of auburn info:dunno:

Look in the thread, I challenged him on his comment because I felt sure our coaches and staff were communicating during a 4 game win streak while carrying the top ranked offense & QB ratings in the conference.  But he reiterated his stance that things were quiet and there was very communication.

Look, I’m all for meltdowns when warranted, but why does this loss keep getting compared to the BCS title loss to FSU. FSU was #1 in scoring defense and had one of the best overall offenses in the league. Yeah it sucked losing to them but we held them to their lowest offensive output on the season and scored more than they allowed that season. 

The A&M 2014 loss was almost the complete opposite of the LSU loss. We had to scratch and claw our way out of a 35-17 hole in the second half and nearly pulled it off. 

This is legitamently the first Loss Gus has had where we were up by a large margin early on and lost. That’s fine to meltdown over that. It was by choice for whatever reason and the levels of conservative decision making were off the charts. Safe runs with our sure handed, injured/tired RBs using our base run plays to prevent turnovers or execution penalties. Deep balls were only called to eliminate ints providing short field for LSU. Gus just has trust issues and will likely be fired for it.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Rocket Science:

“What did LSU’s defense do at half-time? Two things: they employed more run blitzes, but the most important thing, obviously, they moved the safety into the box,” Landry explains.

Landry expected Auburn to change its offensive focus to make the home-standing Tigers pay for their adjustments, but Auburn never did.

“I made the safe assumption that Auburn was now going to attack the middle of the field,” Landry said. “The middle of the field was displaced as LSU was having to overplay the run. So now Auburn’s got LSU where they want them. They got ‘em on the run… so Auburn’s going to attack the middle of the field.

“Well, no, they didn’t. Inexplicably, Auburn continued to run the football. With a 20 point lead there were 17 consecutive runs on first down by Auburn.”

After watching the coach’s tape, Landry says there was ample spacing to complete intermediate passing routes.

Do we really need to pay some coach more than Malzahn to figure this out???

Gus said in his press conference yesterday and multiple times...his philosophy is run first. "Power run and play action". Occasionally with tempo. Unfortunately that play action is only throw it deep. I seriously doubt Gus is in favor of the screen game, so I'm guessing that's Chip's "balance". He has had the consistent mantra of just "focus on us, get better" . He does not have an adjustment mentality. He wouldn't recommend hitting the middle of the field because that's not his philosophy. He thought the defense would hold and eventually we would hit a run or a bomb. That's honestly what he thought no matter how wide open the middle of the field was. 

Gus is not going to change. He'll go down in a blaze of glory....he'll only air it out when his back is against the wall probably in the bama game, mark it down.

To get rid of the stubborn philosophy, we have to get rid of the coach with that philosophy. 

I’ve seen this movie before.  Auburn will thump everyone till UGA.  Auburn will go up big against UGA only to blow it again and then Bama will beat Auburn in a close game.  Auburn will go on to lose to Michigan in the Citrus bowl and finish 8-5.  Everyone will say well Clemson, Bama, and UGA were top 10 teams and Michigan has Harbaugh.  Gus will live another day and everyone will start saying next year is the year only to finish 8-5 again.

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’ve seen this movie before.  Auburn will thump everyone till UGA.  Auburn will go up big against UGA only to blow it again and then Bama will beat Auburn in a close game.  Auburn will go on to lose to Michigan in the Citrus bowl and finish 8-5.  Everyone will say well Clemson, Bama, and UGA were top 10 teams and Michigan has Harbaugh.  Gus will live another day and everyone will start saying next year is the year only to finish 8-5 again.

Feels like we are in a re-run of 2014-2015-2016-2017?

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

That's sounds about right to me.

I can gladly accept this season as collateral damage if we can get a quality replacement but the thought of Gus roaming the sideline at the beginning of next season makes me extremely nauseous.  

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

We are not going up big against UGA.  We may score first, but UGA is going to eat us for lunch.  Bama will win by at least 20.  

wde

32 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Look, I’m all for meltdowns when warranted, but why does this loss keep getting compared to the BCS title loss to FSU. FSU was #1 in scoring defense and had one of the best overall offenses in the league. Yeah it sucked losing to them but we held them to their lowest offensive output on the season and scored more than they allowed that season. 

The A&M 2014 loss was almost the complete opposite of the LSU loss. We had to scratch and claw our way out of a 35-17 hole in the second half and nearly pulled it off. 

This is legitamently the first Loss Gus has had where we were up by a large margin early on and lost. That’s fine to meltdown over that. It was by choice for whatever reason and the levels of conservative decision making were off the charts. Safe runs with our sure handed, injured/tired RBs using our base run plays to prevent turnovers or execution penalties. Deep balls were only called to eliminate ints providing short field for LSU. Gus just has trust issues and will likely be fired for it.

Uh huh.

Trivia Q: During spring practice the season following his chokefest in the BCS Title game, what was Gus Malzahn's favorite slogan? 

That A&M game was epic.  We had NIck Marshall and still found ways to lose to a true freshman making his SEC debut.  AUsome. 

Gus will be fired because he doesn't prepare his team to win and he chokes in the big games.

What’s extremely disturbing, is when you have assistants saying “this may cost us our jobs”, but then you have an HC saying “it’s not the end of the world”. Unreal

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I hear you man. Just don't see how this one is survivable. Over the years there's always blow-back, and split opinions, ups and downs. The pattern is now clearly visible, and there's never been a coach more singularly responsible for killing games that the players could've had in the bag. I think he's toast. But I'm a layman, so we'll have to wait and see.

I don't know where Gus deviated. I went back and watched highlights from games in 2009, and his offense was totally different. There were intermediate throws, hurry up offense, other plays on first down after a big gain besides running up the gut, the wildcat would actually hand the ball off to the jet sweep. I don't get it. I don't get how he doesn't see how ridiculous some of the stuff he does is.

Archived