end the hot seat talk

aubiefifty

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

No. The challenge was to identify a coach that would come here and has better credentials as a head coach than Gus. Take a trip back to the drawing board.

Not sure who you think we are. We aren't attracting a top flight coach with credentials. 

Chip and Steele are doing a great coach and all an AD has to do is get Gus out of the way. Ideally by firing him or letting his contract run out. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of random thoughts:

1.  We kicked bulldog butt last week.  But what does this performance mean?  Did we turn a corner?  Or does it mean that Gus has a really talented team but could not effectively coach them earlier in the year?  I honestly don't know what to make of it.

2. I'm sick of the media criticizing the Auburn fan base for their ridicule of Gus.  The "analysts" should do more than simply read won-loss records and the score sheets on Sunday morning.  The attitudes on this board are inconsistent because the play of the team has been inconsistent.  Anyone that truly watches the games over the past few years knows this.

3.  Numerous people on this board have stated that Auburn is not a school where a HC should "cut his teeth" and that Gus was not ready for prime time.  Could the difficulties of the early part of this year combined with the LSU debacle have taught Gus how to be a top notch SEC coach?  If so, why would we drop him only to get another coach that needs to "cut his teeth."  Of course, we really don't know if this is the case until we watch a few more games against quality opponents.

4.  Why do people keep stating as fact that Gus is performing the play calling in games we play poorly and Chip is performing the play calling when we play well.  How would any of you know?  The only regular person on this board that might know is Runnin in Red and he has been silent on this topic.

5.  Really glad we are getting a new AD.  Hope he is a good one and will objectively evaluate Gus and the rest of the coaching staff not necessarily on the past performance but on the potential for future consistent quality football.    

7 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

Not sure who you think we are. We aren't attracting a top flight coach with credentials. 

Chip and Steele are doing a great coach and all an AD has to do is get Gus out of the way. Ideally by firing him or letting his contract run out. 

When/if Gus goes, all of his assistants will go too. That's how it works.

Also:"We aren't attracting a top flight coach with credentials"

Well then we better keep the coach we have. Gus has had our team ranked in the top ten during the second half of every single season he's been the head coach here. If you can't find a replacement that at least looks like he might have some chance of doing better, you better darned well keep what you've got. Are you a math guy? For the five years that Gus has been here, Auburn has the 3rd best winning percentage in the SEC. There are a lot of schools behind us and only two ahead of us. Gus is dong a lot better job than what some of our fans think he's doing.

PS: Are you listening to bammers? They are the ones starting this Hot Seat and Gus to Arky stuff. They fear Gus and hope we will be stupid enough to run him off.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

PS: Are you listening to bammers? They are the ones starting this Hot Seat and Gus to Arky stuff. They fear Gus and hope we will be stupid enough to run him off.

Especially anything from Alabama news media.

12 hours ago, countoff said:

A couple of random thoughts:

1.  We kicked bulldog butt last week.  But what does this performance mean?  Did we turn a corner?  Or does it mean that Gus has a really talented team but could not effectively coach them earlier in the year?  I honestly don't know what to make of it.

2. I'm sick of the media criticizing the Auburn fan base for their ridicule of Gus.  The "analysts" should do more than simply read won-loss records and the score sheets on Sunday morning.  The attitudes on this board are inconsistent because the play of the team has been inconsistent.  Anyone that truly watches the games over the past few years knows this.

3.  Numerous people on this board have stated that Auburn is not a school where a HC should "cut his teeth" and that Gus was not ready for prime time.  Could the difficulties of the early part of this year combined with the LSU debacle have taught Gus how to be a top notch SEC coach?  If so, why would we drop him only to get another coach that needs to "cut his teeth."  Of course, we really don't know if this is the case until we watch a few more games against quality opponents.

4.  Why do people keep stating as fact that Gus is performing the play calling in games we play poorly and Chip is performing the play calling when we play well.  How would any of you know?  The only regular person on this board that might know is Runnin in Red and he has been silent on this topic.

5.  Really glad we are getting a new AD.  Hope he is a good one and will objectively evaluate Gus and the rest of the coaching staff not necessarily on the past performance but on the potential for future consistent quality football.    

Thank you.  Well-stated.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Randman5000 said:

We aren't firing Gus. Auburn is too giddy about beating Georgia. 

I just do not think that this is the time to make a change. We will not find anyone that will do better given the current situation in college football. There are only a very few coaches that get 110% from their players and keep them in constant fear of not playing or getting to the "league." We are not going to hire a Saban or a Urban Meyer, so forget it. Gus makes me as mad as he makes all of you at times, but he runs a clean program, recruits well. More importantly, he seems to have finally learned with the LSU debacle that in today's college football he has to keep his team playing 60 minutes. JMHO

19 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

no coach is gonna come here and be told to keep Steele and Chip...sure they would want to build and manager their own staff.

13 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

no coach is gonna come here and be told to keep Steele and Chip...sure they would want to build and manager their own staff.

And since gus hired each of the coordinators, which everyone seems to like, and recruited the entire current team, which everyone seems to be impressed with ........ oh, never mind. My head hurts.

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

And since gus hired each of the coordinators, which everyone seems to like, and recruited the entire current team, which everyone seems to be impressed with ........ oh, never mind. My head hurts.

Ditto! I am hoping I do not get lambasted off the pages for my next comment but it is, I believe, pretty darn factual.

As I said before, there are no more than just a few "superstar" coaches in the entire realm of college football. We (AU) currently have the real misfortune of being in the same State with one of them and will just have to wait it out. It is genuinely not fair nor is it reasonable to think that any coach in the same position (at AU while Saban is at Ala) could do better until that particular coach (Saban) is gone from Alabama. I truly can say I hate Ala as much or more than most because having been in the AU Marching Band for my four years at AU, I was subjected to sometimes literal physical abuse leaving Legion Field for just being in my AU Band Uniform. Many times I and other Band Members had to rely on other fans on the ramps to  protect us from drunken Bama fans.

We play exciting football, for the most part, and the kids seem to enjoy themselves. Sure, I would love to be 12-0 every year. But I am not willing to exchange the type of players/teams we field for the "automotons" at Ala.  

16 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

It's always interesting to read conflicting comments on this site....folks want to hire an AD and give him complete authority...yet get upset that JJ has too much authority.....or hire a HC and give him complete authority to hire whoever he wants....but first we are going to tell him which of the current coaching staff he needs to retain so that our recruiting base is maintained. I realize it's different people with different views....but some of them really get bent out of shape if anyone does not share their viewpoint. 

BUT...as you noted, it's pretty rare for a new HC to come in without the ability to hire (within limits) anyone he wants. 

Of course, the worst news I have heard lately is that Muschamp will be the next AU head coach....that he has a strong backing from some PTBs at AU.  Heard that driving back from church today and almost hit a power pole I was so shocked.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

It's always interesting to read conflicting comments on this site....folks want to hire an AD and give him complete authority...yet get upset that JJ has too much authority.....or hire a HC and give him complete authority to hire whoever he wants....but first we are going to tell him which of the current coaching staff he needs to retain so that our recruiting base is maintained. I realize it's different people with different views....but some of them really get bent out of shape if anyone does not share their viewpoint. 

BUT...as you noted, it's pretty rare for a new HC to come in without the ability to hire (within limits) anyone he wants. 

Of course, the worst news I have heard lately is that Muschamp will be the next AU head coach....that he has a strong backing from some PTBs at AU.  Heard that driving back from church today and almost hit a power pole I was so shocked.

say what...i sure hope that was not true. Gus may not be perfecto but he has this team in contention for the SEC and BCS titles. That in itself should cool all the hot seat talk..

Since Coach Hothead failed at Florida, I see no reason why any rational person thinks he would succeed at Auburn. Twice he's hung us out to dry. That's enough, I don't want him here ever again.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since Coach Hothead failed at Florida, I see no reason why any rational person thinks he would succeed at Auburn. Twice he's hung us out to dry. That's enough, I don't want him here ever again.

Me neither

5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Me neither

Apparently what he has done at USCe with mostly nothing has impressed some people......but maybe those folks have not grasped how bad the SEC East really is.   .

What if Arkansas offers Malzahn and he takes the job after the SEC championship game. Who should we go after? I like the idea of trying to get Bob Stoops or Gary Patterson. I doubt he would stay with Auburn if we made it to the 4 team playoff. Due to recruiting,  I'm guessing Arkansas would want Gus with them shortly after our game with Georgia if we beat UAT.

I will admit I have had a love/hate relationship with Gus during his tenure at AU. However, since the LSU game he has totally disarmed me. The things that were driving me nuts have not existed for the last 4 games. We certainly have phases that can stand improvement and so on but we have now won 9 games for the first time in 4 years (even though it should have been 10). We have shown improvement also since LSU. It does not erase all that has gone before but it does make life as an Auburn fan more enjoyable, especially given all the success across the State. I for one have always thought we would have a difficult time hiring anyone with a proven record and stellar resume. More likely would be better to keep Gus if we continue down this path or someone like a Scott Frost or etc. Now this is coming from someone who, if I had the authority, would have fired Gus immediately following the LSU game. At that time, it WAS the straw that broke the came'ls back. Luckily I'm not in charge. As an AU alum and tenacious fan, I will encourage anyone that will listen to support the program now more than ever. The media on Gus and Arkansas is a distraction and could not come at a worst time for our program.  

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Image result for when pigs fly

Guess this stuff falls under the  category of "unfounded speculation". ....I mean somebody will owe FSU about $12M or more for Jimbo....and I can't see AU doing that.    The amount of money that would be involved in this coaching rotation will be obscene. 

3 hours ago, auskull said:

........ The media on Gus and Arkansas is a distraction and could not come at a worst time for our program.  

This happens like clockwork. Every time we have what looks like a legitimate shot at the Iron Bowl, the REC stirs the pot. Same thing happens when we are in the SEC game, and something else always "breaks" right before recruit signing day. A coincidence would be something that happens twice. Something that happens every single time a certain situation or situations arise is the result of a scheme. We have to recognize this stuff for the BS that it is. The bamzo media can't be controlled, they will do as they are instructed to do. What we as Auburn fans can do is not pay any attention to their BS.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

This happens like clockwork. Every time we have what looks like a legitimate shot at the Iron Bowl, the REC stirs the pot. Same thing happens when we are in the SEC game, and something else always "breaks" right before recruit signing day. A coincidence would be something that happens twice. Something that happens every single time a certain situation or situations arise is the result of a scheme. We have to recognize this stuff for the BS that it is. The bamzo media can't be controlled, they will do as they are instructed to do. What we as Auburn fans can do is not pay any attention to their BS.

We need some kind of Skunk works, or etc. to target the REC and create discourse among the Turds. 

Archived