Prayer request

sevenDs

This isn't a dire emergency which is why I've been sitting on it for a few months. But it's one of those situations where the effects seem to wear you down as time passes. Our son, Aidan, was diagnosed with Developmental Apraxia of Speech (DAS) a few months ago. It's a neurologically based speech disorder that affects a child's ability to correctly produce sounds, syllables and words. Basically, when he wants to say something, his 'command' brain impulses don't reach the oral muscles to make the intended sounds. It is a rare condition, and is sometimes compared to what a stroke victim deals with. Except for the fact it is isolated to the verbal skills, while chewing etc. is not affected.

When it first was diagnosed (technically a 'working diagnosis') he was 21 months old and it was listed as 'potential' DAS. Looking through rose colored glasses I felt like he was a late talker, and my worst case thoughts were that he would work past it. My wife was more concerned and more of a realist even though we hadn't researched his condition in great detail. The diagnosis was confirmed by the time he reached 24 months, so we started weekly therapy shortly after his birthday. Still, I felt like he would work through it.

As time goes on and I look for more information, reality keeps hitting me from different angles. There are success stories, like the one 13 year old Apraxic kid who is on the middle school basketball team and takes regular classes. And there are stories about children who are taking honors classes, yet have to attend Special Ed classes.

But I've also heard an 11 year old Apraxic child speak who sounds like he's five. I've read about the four year olds who play alone in a room full of children because they can't communicate. And more personally, I've looked into the eyes of my little boy as he's asking for something and seen the sadness and frustration because he can't tell me what he wants. We know that his little brother, who's due in June, will probably be talking before he is. While the success stories help maintain us a positive attitude, those stories are the result of hard work and maturity. We're just beginning to deal with this, and to a 27 month old who wants to tell Daddy what he and Mommy did today, the success of older kids isn't much comfort.

I'm making a prayer request because, even though my wife and I know that he'll learn to deal with it and that we'll do everything we can to help him, sometimes we just need a little help.

Guest Tigrinum Major

You will be in my prayers. I hope he ends up as one of the success stories and I wish you and your family patience and understanding as you cope with this situation.

Prayers Sent.

Just a word of experience here. My Dad had a horrible stroke and several seizures before he died. I took him to therapy often. He had to relearn everything. Here is where it gets weird. We decided that we could beat his disability, if we could not beat the challenge with his strength, we would beat it with method.

Example 1: Daddy would take forever buttoning his shirt the way he learned as a child and would almost assuredly misbutton a few. This was a top down progression. But I made him do it from the bottom up, man he was as good as you or I and never missed a button.

Example 2: Daddy could not speak clearly. He sure could not speak loudly. We worked out a series of knocks on the wall so that I would know what he needed before I came to his room. He could tap the wal near the bed and I could hear him throughout the house.

If your son has challenges, engineer a way around them. If he cant speak, I bet he is a signing savant. Remember, he is frustrated now because he wants to speak and communicate now. Find a class and you and the missus learn and then teach him. Better, all three go to class.

I would let this be the family special language. If they tell you they want him to talk, that will happen. But you need to share, to communicate, to teach your son now. He is likely a lonely kid on some level.

Just a thought, but I was there.

You can beat a disability. Sometimes with strength, other times with method.

Method is one way of handling it. We have started some sign language so he uses that sometimes. Since we have to learn it with him, we're a little slow getting started. But he has adjusted some of his own gestures. For example, when he wants to hear "War Eagle" on the CD player, he puts his fist in the air and makes circles like it's kickoff, then makes the standard sign for radio. (I'm quite proud of that one-he developed it himself)

Sometimes he also uses pictures of objects to indicate what wants or is referencing.

He does begin words, like "Da" for Daddy and "Ma" for Mommy. He can't finish them yet though, and he doesn't repeat the sounds back to back. There about 20 that he uses, but he doesn't string them together. It has developed into our own special language, which presents a problem if here were to be alone with family members who don't se him frequently.

His language can be improved, but these techniques and working around it like you mentioned, help reduce the stress of having to speak because that can cause a child to shut down.

Prayers sent - it sounds like you are doing all you can to find those workable solutions David spoke of, so perhaps time and maturity will be the ticket. it also sounds like he is a smart cookie - developing his own signs for things - and of course, for wanting to listen to Auburn music!!! :)

What about a speech typewriter, like the hearing impaired use? He types, it speaks for him. Or would that prevent him from getting the theraputic benefit of trying to speak?

Good luck to you all - please keep us posted.

Method is one way of handling it.  We have started some sign language so he uses that sometimes.  Since we have to learn it with him, we're a little slow getting started. But he has adjusted some of his own gestures.  For example, when he wants to hear "War Eagle" on the CD player, he puts his fist in the air and makes circles like it's kickoff, then makes the standard sign for radio.  (I'm quite proud of that one-he developed it himself)

Sometimes he also uses pictures of objects to indicate what wants or is referencing. 

He does begin words, like "Da" for Daddy and "Ma" for Mommy. He can't finish them yet though, and he doesn't repeat the sounds back to back.  There about 20 that he uses, but he doesn't string them together.  It has developed into our own special language, which presents a problem if here were to be alone with family members who don't se him frequently.

His language can be improved, but these techniques and working around it like you mentioned, help reduce the stress of having to speak because that can cause a child to shut down.

150316[/snapback]

That is all a good sign.

Prayers sent. Keep us posted on the progress. Good luck.

BTW...My sister has a nephew that is Downs Syndrome. They taught him sign language to help him communicate. It was quite amazing to me. I wish I knew it myself.

Prayers sent. May God Bless.

Archived