Recruiting against Bama, UGA, & the Vols

shabby

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Just completing the comparison for Gus’s offensive players in the league:

- Grant- situational RB, KR

-CAP- backup RB. Has yet to break out

- Barber- gained RB1 status late into the season over Doug Martin. Running game is still stagnant. He has a clown for a QB though. 

-Tre Mason- strong rookie reason. The more talented Gurley was drafted onto same team which sent Mason into a tailspin.

-Cam is Cam- 

Greg Robinson- Was not very good at the Rams. Went to the Lions and lasted six games before getting waived there:. Only Ereck Flowers was worst than Robinson at his position that I can think of. 

-Jay Prosch- He’s a stud and just signed a three year extension this year. He was an All American FB at Illinois before he fell in Gus’s lap.

CJ Uzomah: backup TE that gets some catches here and there. 

As far as I know, Shon Colemam, Coates and Ricardo Louis are still with the Browns. 

To be fare Jeff they are talking about freshmen, not Juco's or transfers.  I pointed that out, it strengthens their tactic......so no Cap, grant, Cam, Prosch they already got recruiting tactics for.  Signed Gus freshmen only is what they are pointing out

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't even need stars, although we do need a legit NFL starting RB. I just want to hear more guys say "Auburn" when they announce starting lineups on Sunday and Monday night broadcasts.

One of my favorite lines from Gruden on the set while commentating an NFL game was “The Auburn Tigers- they know how to produce running backs.” 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Read this regarding Greg Robinson:

Starting 14 games for Los Angeles last year, he allowed seven sacks and ranked 62nd out of 74 eligible tackles in pass blocking grades, per Pro Football Focus.

And while there’s plenty of room for improvement in pass protection, Robinson was even worse in the run game. As a run blocker, he ranked 78th out of 79 eligible tackles per Pro Football Focus, and has seemed to only go backward in his development in three seasons with the Rams. It’s been sort of mystifying; he’s a top-tier athlete, a guy that consistently bullied defensive linemen in the run game in college, and yet he can’t seem to beat anyone at the pro level. What happened?

He was essentially playing a different game at Auburn. The Tigers’ offense was a spread-out, space-based option system, a modern derivative of the Wing-T, and it required completely different things of Robinson than what the Rams’ old-school, I-formation-style scheme would. Robinson, like many college linemen transitioning to the NFL of late, had little experience with the types of blocks he needed to be able to execute at the next level. In former NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz’s informative piece on SB Nation breaking down the difficulties of transitioning to the professional game, he notes that “Robinson played in [a college offense] that barely resembled anything that exists in the NFL. I could hardly find any clips to make comparisons [for what he’s done with the Rams].”

emphasis mine.

Also, Mason heard the same crap from draft gurus as they tried to pigeonhole him as product of the offensive system. 

Sounds amazing that Gus was able to get Greg into the league, much less a high pick.  The fact that he got a lesser talent as far as he did is a testament to Gus.

see, there’s 2 sides...

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol when did I say he was stagnant? I just never was a fan of barber when he was at AU. I thought he was not even close to as talented to jovon robinson and I would groan when he came back in the game in the ole miss and georgia games specifically in 15  when gus would yank jovon back out after he had been gashing those defenses. He def has blown my mind and looked like a completely different back in the nfl. his vision has got a lot better and he looks a lot more spry. More than he ever did at AU. Def had to eat crow on him. WAR DAMN PEYTON BARBER! happy for him.

Meant to quote Jeff not you. My bad Fam.

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

To be fare Jeff they are talking about freshmen, not Juco's or transfers.  I pointed that out, it strengthens their tactic......so no Cap, grant, Cam, Prosch they already got recruiting tactics for.  Signed Gus freshmen only is what they are pointing out

To be fair it will be two more years at least......maybe three before Kirby's first freshman recruit is ready for the NFL draft so why not wait until he does that and not give him credit for the people that Mark Richt recruited to the dawgs.?   Someone is making a whole lot of assumptions about KS. 

Meanwhile, this whole thing is a bogus argument.as is the implication that Auburn's Jucos were NFL ready and only bided their time at AU and did nothing to improve their football skills while here.     I expect that kind of crap from bammers and dawgs but it amazes me that AU fans are willing to treat that kind of nonsense as  if it were fact. :-\ 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

To be fair it will be two more years at least......maybe three before Kirby's first freshman recruit is ready for the NFL draft so why not wait until he does that and not give him credit for the people that Mark Richt recruited to the dawgs.?   Someone is making a whole lot of assumptions about KS. 

Meanwhile, this whole thing is a bogus argument.as is the implication that Auburn's Jucos were NFL ready and only bided their time at AU and did nothing to improve their football skills while here.     I expect that kind of crap from bammers and dawgs but it amazes me that AU fans are willing to treat that kind of nonsense as  if it were fact. :-\ 

I think you are misunderstanding, nobody is making assumptions about KS staff, it is what they are doing.   I am sure that Auburn coaches are saying he is winning with Richt's guys, of course, Kirby can point out he is doing better than what Richt did with his guys, I guess.  If recruits believe the argument, which some have bought into already(JF, several rb's and Ross), it is what it is.   The fact is it is what they are doing and Golf has confirmed as much, why anyone would be surprised that they are doing it is what shocks me the most.   It just adds another challenge in contested recruiting areas and with Pruitt added to the mix it is just gonna get tougher and nastier I imagine.  We need KJ and Smith to do well in the NFL, it will only help.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I think you are misunderstanding, nobody is making assumptions about KS staff, it is what they are doing.   I am sure that Auburn coaches are saying he is winning with Richt's guys, of course, Kirby can point out he is doing better than what Richt did with his guys, I guess.  If recruits believe the argument, which some have bought into already(JF, several rb's and Ross), it is what it is.   The fact is it is what they are doing and Golf has confirmed as much, why anyone would be surprised that they are doing it is what shocks me the most.   It just adds another challenge in contested recruiting areas and with Pruitt added to the mix it is just gonna get tougher and nastier I imagine.  We need KJ and Smith to do well in the NFL, it will only help.

And that's exactly what was being said about GM in 2013 since all or most of the players starting were Chiziks....

I just think its the players who get tired of losing or a coach who really motivates his new team, and they get reenergized and more focused. This happened with Tater Tot, and Malzahn and probably other coaches. Its really amazing how often this happens and now it is with KS in his second year...

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And that's exactly what was being said about GM in 2013 since all or most of the players starting were Chiziks....

I just think its the players who get tired of losing or a coach who really motivates his new team, and they get reenergized and more focused. This happened with Tater Tot, and Malzahn and probably other coaches. Its really amazing how often this happens and now it is with KS in his second year...

Indeed, recruiting is just getting more and more cut throat, it was never a play nice thing.  WIth the pay and how quickly schools will fire a coach, you gotta come out swinging.  SEC coaching is not for nice guys, the league will chew you up and spit you out, if your own fanbase doesn't do it first.

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Can't help it if some kids are stupid.....does not mean the argument is legit.   Should not be a difficult argument to deflect by our recruiters.  

Kirby has not recruited more than a couple players who are even seeing much playing time....winning with Richt's guys thus far .....and going to lose nearly 30 players this year and again next year.....so then we will see what he can do.   

JMO but Kirby's major argument is that with so many guys leaving there will be lots of opportunities to start right away for his recruits. 

ok...since this is the topic on this thread, I need someone to clarify GA's roster. I just went to their roster, and I counted 24 SRs.and NO JRs.

So how can they be losing 30 players this year AND again next year? I heard that many of those SRs(and maybe they are not listed are walkons, so who cares)..

I also looked at their depth chart and I see 12 SRs on the first string...ofc that may have changed by end of year...

But to throw out the 30 numbers seems a stretch.

Bottom line to me is KS is doing no different that what CHiz and GM did in their first or second year,,and that is get into the NC game. So, maybe it is more on the players and an influx of new coaching that does it. I would want to see KS and how they do in his 4th year...then let's evaluate.

Its always good to eval a new coach who is highly successful early on...later to see how they adjust and with all their recruits...perform..and compete...

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Again with the extremes. Is it really so hard to acknowledge that there's a big difference between 1) turning an 18-yr old freshman away from home for the first time into a college and then NFL football player over the course of 3-4 years and 2) teaching a few tricks to a 20-yr old who's already been playing post-high school ball- yes, there is a vast difference between the D1 farm teams like the ones we normally get these guys from and almost any high school- and who has already navigated life away from home for a couple years?

You really don't think there's a meaningful difference there?

19 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Seriously, our biggest offensive recruiting tool was promoting CL's offense as the future and not Gus' offense.  

If that’s our biggest recruiting tool then we are are in trouble.

1. It’s a weak recruiting pitch for one. It must hurt Gus’s pride too. ?

2. Our offense showed plenty of signs that Gus is still involved in the offense last year. Opposing recruiters can have a hay day with that counter.

The best recruiter is the one that whispers in the recruit’s ear the best. Quite frankly, I think the opposing coaches will forever use the anti-pro development recruitment strategies until gus leaves. Scathing articles like the one above about Greg Robinson completely destroys Gus’s credibility when it comes to sending players to the league. Coates and Rico saying they weren’t prepared for the NFL didn’t help either. I was under the impression that Auburn was aware of the anti-pro negative recruiting strategies when they hired  Loeffler but I guess they consider that unimportant now.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If that’s our biggest recruiting tool then we are are in trouble.

1. It’s a weak recruiting pitch for one. It must hurt Gus’s pride too. ?

2. Our offense showed plenty of signs that Gus is still involved in the offense last year. Opposing recruiters can have a hay day with that counter.

The best recruiter is the one that whispers in the recruit’s ear the best. Quite frankly, I think the opposing coaches will forever use the anti-pro development recruitment strategies until gus leaves. Scathing articles like the one above about Greg Robinson completely destroys Gus’s credibility when it comes to sending players to the league. Coates and Rico saying they weren’t prepared for the NFL didn’t help either. I was under the impression that Auburn was aware of the anti-pro negative recruiting strategies when they hired  Loeffler but I guess they consider that unimportant now.

could not agree more.

And therein, is part of our problem. uat, uga, lsu, ut, uf and fsu consistently recruit against us by putting more players in the league.  They recruit by telling the recruits that they will win in their system and will be prepared for the NFL when they are finished.  Gus does not have the reputation for preparing a player  for the next level.  His system is not conducive to that.  The only offensive positions that are even remotely prepared are OL and RB.  You can believe that those other coaches make sure the recruits know this. 

6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

And therein, is part of our problem. uat, uga, lsu, ut, uf and fsu consistently recruit against us by putting more players in the league.  They recruit by telling the recruits that they will win in their system and will be prepared for the NFL when they are finished.  Gus does not have the reputation for preparing a player  for the next level.  His system is not conducive to that.  The only offensive positions that are even remotely prepared are OL and RB.  You can believe that those other coaches make sure the recruits know this. 

I may be wrong on this, but I think there is a simple fix to this.  Teaching the proper drills and then having those drills implemented during the off season for the individual work.  Look at the work KJ did to understand not to accelerate to where the hole should be but find the hole and accelerate through it.  I do not think it is the system that causes these things but the lack of instruction to get there in certain areas of the offense.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I may be wrong on this, but I think there is a simple fix to this.  Teaching the proper drills and then having those drills implemented during the off season for the individual work.  Look at the work KJ did to understand not to accelerate to where the hole should be but find the hole and accelerate through it.  I do not think it is the system that causes these things but the lack of instruction to get there in certain areas of the offense.

Yeah, in saying system, I am including scheme and instruction.  It is all a system.  

44 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Coates and Rico saying they weren’t prepared for the NFL didn’t help either. I was under the impression that Auburn was aware of the anti-pro negative recruiting strategies when they hired  Loeffler but I guess they consider that unimportant now.

they're doing a heck of a job countering that.  WR recruiting is in its best shape ever.  We've got 3 guys committed/enrolled that almost any body would want and another that's no slouch either.  

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

they're doing a heck of a job countering that.  WR recruiting is in its best shape ever.  We've got 3 guys committed/enrolled that almost any body would want and another that's no slouch either.  

Countering who?

The teams negatively recruiting us aren’t doing too shabby themselves ICYMI. What recruiting battles have we won against Georgia this year? 

Just imagine if we had a “real coach” and could implement a decent scheme and then just back away and let everyone else coach how we would recruit.  Then we might beat our rival or even make it to the SEC championship game or finish 2nd in the conference 2 years in a row.  Or maybe play in the SEC championship 2 out of 5 years.   Play in a MNC or 2 straight New Years 6 bowls. Possibly be in the top 3 in offense most years or even finish in the Top 10 in the recruiting rankings.

Thats all if we really had a “real coach” that could recruit.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Just imagine if we had a “real coach” and could implement a decent scheme and then just back away and let everyone else coach how we would recruit.  Then we might beat our rival or even make it to the SEC championship game or finish 2nd in the conference 2 years in a row.  Or maybe play in the SEC championship 2 out of 5 years.   Play in a MNC or 2 straight New Years 6 bowls. Possibly be in the top 3 in offense most years or even finish in the Top 10 in the recruiting rankings.

Thats all if we really had a “real coach” that could recruit.  

we need to capitalize on this momentun and turn our ‘public perception’ into a positive instead of one that can’t maintain successs.   That could start by not laying an egg in the first game next year.    

2 minutes ago, lala said:

we need to capitalize on this momentun and turn our ‘public perception’ into a positive instead of one that can’t maintain successs.   That could start by not laying an egg in the first game next year.    

Our perception is fine outside of our own fan base.  Our rivals are going to trash us no matter who the coach is just like we did when Saban got to bama was only gonna be there a couple years, job hopper, doesn’t care about players blah blah blah, Kirby we will sell inexperienced only good as daddy Saban  horrible OC only winning with other coaches players and so on...

43 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Then we might beat our rival or even make it to the SEC championship game or finish 2nd in the conference 2 years in a row.

You just be taking about Florida because we have never done this. As for the New Years six bowls we have been invited to, we wet the bed in both of them and our “real coach” has a 1-4 bowl record and a lousy record against our main rivals.

15 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Sounds amazing that Gus was able to get Greg into the league, much less a high pick.  The fact that he got a lesser talent as far as he did is a testament to Gus.

see, there’s 2 sides...

Greg isn’t a lesser talent. He had a better 40 than some QBs at the combine and people used to marvel about him doing flips and dunking and crap. 

I don’t know what you’re talking about. 

Clemson runs the same offense as we do and they are putting players in the league and recruiting 5* offensive players all over the place. Dabo wasn't a world beater until he hired Morris for offense and Venerables on defense. Once they started winning, the recruits followed and so did the NFL

Archived