Null



Sign in to follow this  
aubie17

Thoughts on the New Recruiting Format

Recommended Posts

Gus seems to learn but it does take some time and maybe some outside coercion for it to happen.  I am wondering what others' perspectives is on the current recruiting cycle concerning the new format.  Gus has stated that he does not like the early signing period--which of course is new and different.  Are they losing battles for recruits at the end due to the new format and the learning curve Gus and his coaches will be on until they develop strategies for this new format?  Thoughts?

Edited by ellitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




13 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

Are they losing battles for recruits at the end due to the new format and the learning curve Gus and his coaches will be on until they develop strategies for this new format? 

No but the pool of players that could be flipped have been greatly reduced due to so many kids signing in December.

Even though we have recruited well under Gus overall there seems to be a trend of not being fully prepared for situations arising &losing kids to the draft & what not, regardless of the format.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ellitor said:

No but the pool of players that could be flipped have been greatly reduced due to so many kids signing in December.

Even though we have recruited well under Gus overall there seems to be a trend of not being fully prepared for situations arising &losing kids to the draft & what not, regardless of the format.

 

Which means Gus has dropped the ball.

wde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUIH1 said:

Which means Gus has dropped the ball.

wde

In some ways yes but I wouldn't say completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ellitor said:

In some ways yes but I wouldn't say completely.

You are just being PC and I don't know why.  

wde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You are just being PC and I don't know why.  

wde

No. I'm calling a spade a spade & don't post or think in extremes like some fans do, especially this time of year. Somebody has to be sensible.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. I'm calling a spade a spade & don't post or think in extremes like some fans do, especially this time of year. Somebody has to be sensible.

This is a fair response and I appreciate it. Take care.

 

wde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This new format kinda makes it a nonevent for me. I haven’t kept up the year around recruiting news the past few years just cram these boards the last month. I can live with it either way but I am not a fan of change just for the sake of change. Who is better off with this new format? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm okay with it. It seems like the drama is still there, but we also have the security of most of our class already being locked in.

I might even love the new format if we were closing strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out I'm getting just as little work done today as on NSDs past, so I think that might mean the new format is a success?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on the recruiting format is the process is good, the dates are bad. Change the ESD date to the week immediately after Conference Championships or to the summer before fall camp, preferably the latter. It is unfair that some coaches have to do double duty while trying to bowl prep while others manage to avoid that situation. It’s doubly unfair to the newly minted coaches that have no time to recruit on top of the fact that half the recruits are already signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn on the new format.

I like the fact we got the majority of our class already signed. This prevents schools from surprising us on NSD on positions of need. 

I don't like the fact that the early signing period took 95% of the drama/excitement away from NSD.

Hopefully in future classes we can get everyone signed in the early period, and get to sit back and watch everyone fight over the leftovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new format. It takes a lot of the unnecessary hoopla out of the process that should have never been there in the first place and locks in your solid commits. It then allows the entire staff to make a much more concentrated effort on the players still available at the positions of need.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like getting the early lock downs but it sure makes today extremely anti-climatic.  I kind of liked the NSD drama.  

Edited by gctiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were I a coach, I'd like the new format. Get most of the hay in the barn and then concentrate on topping the class off. We got only one new guy today, but we didn't lose any either, which is a big thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter to me.  I think if they do want an early signing period it should be in the first month of their senior years.  December is to close to the playoffs for high school, college, bowl games, and holidays.  Having one a month and a half earlier does little to take pressure off the kids during their senior years.

But I will default to what the players think over the next few years.  Give it 2-3 years and make adjustments

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Gus enjoys his new 7 year 49 million $ contract. I'm also so glad that Jacobs was in on this agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope Gus enjoys his new 7 year 49 million $ contract. I'm also so glad that Jacobs was in on this agreement.

K4g5Raf.gif

Edited by aufan57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, remaining optimistic and looking forward, I hope that we put even more emphasis into early recruiting this year. The 2019 class is filled with monsters I'd love to add and a tremendous amount of talent across the Offensive Line. Early signing can work to your advantage because you lock down your kids and can focus on making your last second push for needs with a clearer picture. It's a double edged sword but at least it's not one-sided against us.

My priority goals - lock down Noah Cain as early as possible. Utilize having 3 offensive studs to make a big recruiting push (Nix, Pickens, Cain), and gobble up as many OL players as we can early. Treat them like first round draft picks and put TWill on the trail for them.

Then, find a huge LB prospect to start leading the charge on the defensive recruitment! Owen Pappoe  Nakobe Dean will do!

Edited by Zeek
Dean seems more likely than Pappoe but we should definitely try to stay on Pappoe to keep him from UGA getting Dean and Pappoe in the class would be mind blowingly awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess it's no surprise but all of  the 5* except 1 signed with the top ten rated teams....which also means that 90 schools did not sign a single 5*....and  60+ schools signed either one or no 4* players.  

The rich got richer and the rest got left further behind....which of course makes one wonder how Pitt, or Wisconsin or Colorado or Kansas State ever win a ball game if you look at their recruiting results. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess it's no surprise but all of  the 5* except 1 signed with the top ten rated teams....which also means that 90 schools did not sign a single 5*....and  60+ schools signed either one or no 4* players.  

The rich got richer and the rest got left further behind....which of course makes one wonder how Pitt, or Wisconsin or Colorado or Kansas State ever win a ball game if you look at their recruiting results. . 

I know Frost left but it's insane UCF got zero 4* players after going undefeated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I know Frost left but it's insane UCF got zero 4* players after going undefeated

Or Wisconsin which had a shot at the playoffs only had one player rated higher than 3* out of their 20 signees. ...and they are supposed to compete with Ohio State and Michigan for the title..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Or Wisconsin which had a shot at the playoffs only had one player rated higher than 3* out of their 20 signees. ...and they are supposed to compete with Ohio State and Michigan for the title..

This is why I always respect some of the coaches from those programs. They do a lot more with less sometimes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking through 2019 LSU is killing it as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this