corrections after first spring scrimmage

aubiefifty

Auburn focusing on corrections after first spring scrimmage

In its first practice after Saturday's first spring scrimmage, Auburn is focusing on corrections.

"We've not installed a whole lot, really, up until this point on either side of the ball," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said after Saturday's scrimmage. "So, (Tuesday will) be more correction-oriented. We will start getting into specifics. We did have a red zone focus. We've had two days of third-down focus and (Saturday's) scrimmage was good.

"Next week we'll get into some two-minute situations and things like that. You want to leave spring with a really good foundation with all the situations and everything that goes with it."

From all accounts, the offense has much more to fix than the defense after the run-oriented first scrimmage featured five turnovers, including four interceptions.

Projected Auburn depth chart after first spring scrimmage

Projected Auburn depth chart after first spring scrimmage

Projected depth chart as the Tigers take the field after their first spring scrimmage

By Malzahn's estimate of 75-80 percent runs in the roughly 100-play scrimmage, that's not a good rate of accuracy from quarterbacks Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood in roughly 20-25 combined pass attempts.

"It's never as good as it seems, never as bad as it seems, so there's always room to grow," offensive guard Marquel Harrell said. "Salute to the defense, but on the offensive side we just got to go back to work and fix some things and we'll be OK."

The offensive line was a group that had a particularly rough day during the scrimmage, as the defensive line pressured the young signal callers and clogged running lanes.

Auburn is working to identify new starters at center and right tackle this offseason and rotating personnel presents come challenge as well as opportunities.

"The biggest thing about spring is just improving on what you feel like you needed to improve the most as far as them just taking that step," right guard Mike Horton said. "It's big for them. It's big evaluation time for the coaches too. Just grinding and trying to improve on what they needed to improve on."

The changes to the offensive line combined with three returning starters and plenty of experienced backups on the defensive front made for one-sided result on Saturday. The offense is looking to address that on the field today.

"You got to be on your P's and Q's, because those guys, a lot of them have played in SEC games," Harrell said. "Some of (the offensive linemen) have too, but you have to bring the best out, especially during practice with one-on-ones and drills and stuff. You got to be ready, because if not, you don't want to get beat. Those guys are good, but you're good too because you want to be in the situation you are. It just brings the natural competitiveness out of you."

The defense has usually done well during the opening scrimmage of the spring and fall camp, which typically is run-heavy and allows the defense to play downhill.

Seeing how the offense responds this week and in Saturday's second scrimmage will be the keys for the week.

"When we've had our best teams, it's been kind of back-and-forth," Malzahn said. "One group will have a really good scrimmage, and the next time, the other group will respond. We'll see how that goes.

A lot of teams are going to think their OL sucks after playing us. Not saying that we don't have cause for concern on our own OL, but it's a perspective I'm going to try to keep for now, because summer is long and full of terrors. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of teams are going to think their OL sucks after playing us. Not saying that we don't have cause for concern on our own OL, but it's a perspective I'm going to try to keep for now, because summer is long and full of terrors. 

Starting with Washington.

24 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Starting with Washington.

I predict a very low scoring game.

Is there any update on Hastings?

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

OL was my biggest concern before spring and still is.  Hope I'm wrong but I think that will continue through the Fall.

Just now, autan said:

OL was my biggest concern before spring and still is.  Hope I'm wrong but I think that will continue through the Fall.

No bout adoubt it. 

I'd feel a lot better if we weren't replacing our center, or if we were at least replacing him with another juco/GT. 

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

I predict a very low scoring game.

Is there any update on Hastings?

I  can't give a score prediction since it's so early but I definitely don't think it will be low scoring. There's ligament damage... Hasn't been at practice to watch and we don't know if he's had surgery or not. The team is doing their usual hush hush on the matter. But it seems he's out for the season.

Is Stove supposed to be out for the season? I know Gus said no but let's be honest: does anybody believe him on...well...anything? I'd like to think there's some positions on offense we're deep at--though I do like all three of our QBs, a statement I would've given my left foot to be able to say two years ago. :Sing:

Gus's tenure has been somewhat similar to Bowden's...and Bowden's last year consisted of a comical amount of injuries.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

a statement I would've given my left foot to be able to say two years ago.

AUfamily version

On 3/28/2018 at 7:09 PM, AUwent said:

Is Stove supposed to be out for the season? I know Gus said no but let's be honest: does anybody believe him on...well...anything? I'd like to think there's some positions on offense we're deep at--though I do like all three of our QBs, a statement I would've given my left foot to be able to say two years ago. :Sing:

Gus's tenure has been somewhat similar to Bowden's...and Bowden's last year consisted of a comical amount of injuries.

No one knows for sure at the moment. I don't think he will be ready for the beginning of the season for sure.........imo

Archived