Where are they now - Zeke Pike

RunInRed

Sad situation here ...

Had sobered up for awhile and was mentoring HS students; arrested again last week ...

Zeke Pike, a former All-American quarterback at Dixie Heights High School dismissed from three college football programs because of off-the-field problems, was arrested over the weekend, according to Fort Wright police, and faces charges of possession of marijuana; operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol/drugs; careless driving; failure to produce an insurance card; possession of an alcoholic beverage in an open container; and improper equipment.

It is believed to be the fifth time that the 25-year-old Pike has been arrested since 2012 - the year he graduated from Dixie Heights.

Pike signed with Auburn as one of the nation's top quarterback prospects but was dismissed from the school in 2012. He enrolled at Louisville and converted to tight end but was suspended for an alcohol-related charge. He checked into rehab and later enrolled at Murray State, but was dismissed after a DUI charge.

SI.com's profile about Pike in December of 2016 focused on his effort to get sober and get his life in order - which included talking to students at a number of Kentucky high schools.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/kentucky-high-school/2018/04/10/former-dixie-heights-star-zeke-pike-arrested-faces-ovi-drug-charges/502816002/

As someone who has experienced 2 generations of substance abusers in our family and raised the second generation as a guardian, Zeke's parents and other family members are dying on the inside.  It's truly amazing how the hold of these substances can take over a life and literally destroy it.  For a recovering abuser, it only takes once to relapse and we've been through it several times.  I sincerily feel sorry for them and him and pray that someday he will be able to overcome this.  

Very sad to hear. Many times these things are due to the company you keep and the influence they have on you. Choosing friends wisely is so important when you are young. Praying for the young man and his support group and that God can place the right people in his path and Zeke is open to receive help from them. 

it's a shame that  he can't stop drinking and getting caught doing so.  He likely needs 3 or 4 jobs to pay all the fines and probation and classes and driver safety courses..  Stay at home and get hammered man...it is a legal drug......

3 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

He needed to join the military. 

I don't know... if you ask some of my friends who are former soldiers they will tell you that the military just makes substance abuse problems worse and creates them were they didn't exist.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know... if you ask some of my friends who are former soldiers they will tell you that the military just makes substance abuse problems worse and creates them were they didn't exist.

Agreed.  Didn't work for my brother-in-law.  He was given option of jail or military.  Chose military.  Ended up DH discharge and in jail anyway.

I don't feel sorry for this little s*** at all, though I do feel for his parents.  From my perspective, it's the stereo-typical spoiled, no consequences, "I'm better than everyone and the rules don't apply to me" mentality that more and more "elite" athletes have coming out of High School and College.  When you're told your s*** doesn't stink and your actions are excused over and over, it eventually catches up to these kids.

I am not going to quote anyone on here for this response because there are a couple who have said things close to the same.  

First, I don't know this kid nor the family personally so I can't make any definite response.  However, drugs and alcohol can form addiction.  Maybe this started out as a kid having fun, but he has obviously thrown a lot of talent and life away for him to just be "out partying".  I feel sorry for the kid because he obviously can't kick his addictions.  I know a lot of people that have had this same issue and it is a daily struggle.  I feel sorry for the parents and the rest of the family because they are watching this up close and first hand from the front row seats.  I can tell you this is one of the worst places to be sitting.  The only place that could possibly be worse is the addict them self.  Often times addicts want to stop, but just can't get past it.  It doesn't matter if you got addicted because you were a popular athlete, stoner kid looking to escape, prom queen who just wanted to try something, or what ever your story.  An addiction is a battle and this kid is losing that fight.  Thoughts and prayers that he lives long enough to push the addiction aside and can better fight it day-to-day.

Zeke Pike was too immature for high school.

It's one thing to say you want to quit drugs/alcohol but unless you put your mind to it and surround yourself with people who truly want to help you and lastly, seek God's help through prayer, it will be even harder than ever imagined.

Truly sad to hear this. I watched a video of his testimony about a couple months ago and was so proud that he made a change for the better in his life. 

Sad story but I don't really feel sorry for him or his parents.   One of my sales reps was good friends with his dad and his dad treated him like his issues were just boys being boys.  He never held him accountable for anything he did in high school and obviously that carried on into college and beyond. 

22 hours ago, aubietiger14 said:

Sad story but I don't really feel sorry for him or his parents.   One of my sales reps was good friends with his dad and his dad treated him like his issues were just boys being boys.  He never held him accountable for anything he did in high school and obviously that carried on into college and beyond. 

Good info.  Thanks

For sure, the military would have helped Zeke. With God helping him, I pray and hope he's able to get things straight in his life.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, aubietiger14 said:

Well I do feel for him if poor parenting played into it. He will have to work that much harder to instill discipline and accountability in himself if his parents didn't teach him that when he was younger. That was their job...not his. Not sure why you would blame the kid for their failures. Apparently in his frame of reference he didn't have a substance abuse problem or out of control behavior because his parents normalized it.

It's very difficult as an adult to break bad habits and behaviors that were allowed growing up and then learn how to instill new ones. Hopefully his relapses will become few and far between as he gets stronger in his recovery and develops better ways of living. It won't be quick or easy and that's often the reason for relapses. Sobriety is very hard to maintain especially in the early years as an addict is struggling to live a sober life and working on changes in their behavior. Later on addicts can lose their battle against addiction when they become too complacent. Not sure where he is in the process but I wish him well and I have no doubt he has been working hard. 

He has been way more successful than I ever thought he would be.

Hope he decides to get the help he needs.  He is the only one who can make that happen.

Archived