Too Early Pregame Sights and Sounds -- CFA Kickoff game vs. Washington

RunInRed

20 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Curious... Who's shoes are these?  The white ones look like the same shoes the male cheerleaders are wearing in that thread...  They don't appear to be football cleats.

Coaches' shoes?

Likely, warm-up, walk-through, Tiger Walk, --- and coaches, staff shoes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Keep in mind.  Even though probably more CFB is followed/watched in the SE than the rest of the country combined (just a hunch admittedly) bspn is right on NYC's doorstep so they come from a very Yankee perspective.

I'm sure they consider the Yankees/Red Sox, Cowboys/Redskins, and yes..... Michigan/tOSU rivalries, etc to be above Auburn v Alabama.

They're shooting for NYC (& NE, in general) TV ratings.  It's not about what makes sense....it's about $$$. (+ Like it or not UW brings little to the "national interest" table and we're "only" Auburn....not bammer.)

Just being honest here...

Bingo.

Same reason we didn't play for all the Tostitos in 2004. Wasn't because of the Citadel. It was because we started the season behind two name brands. We've inched closer since then but we're still nowhere near a Notre Dame or a Michigan. Heck, bama probably doesn't sell as much merch as Notre Dame. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bingo.

Same reason we didn't play for all the Tostitos in 2004. Wasn't because of the Citadel. It was because we started the season behind two name brands. We've inched closer since then but we're still nowhere near a Notre Dame or a Michigan. Heck, bama probably doesn't sell as much merch as Notre Dame. 

We were tied with Oklahoma the week after Georgia that year. Man, we really should've blown out Alabama. I don't care if it's a rivalry game, if we were going to dominate Alabama, that had to be the year.

Also, still pisses me off that Tennessee choked to Notre Dame that year. If they hadn't, there would've been three teams whose only losses were to each other and to us (at least, heading into bowl season, which is when it really counts).

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, boisnumber1 said:

There are people who still watch Gameday?

That's what I was thinking! I watch the last 5 minutes just to see Corso wear the mascot head...sometimes.

26 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

Are we wearing Blue or White jerseys for this game?

It depends on if we're 'home' or 'visitor...'

I know, totally uncalled for. I actually don't know either but have wondered.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, AUBwins said:

Oh geez. Hope my wife doesn't see this shoe trunk. ?

Not your wife of course.....but I sure am admiring that really fine shoe trunk. It might hold most of my shoes.

Every girl needs at least one of those trunks in her life.

• 2 weeks later...

Not "too early" any more.? I'm sure a thread will be made to analyze this opponent but here's my take. It seems we frequently get out of conf opponents that are better than advertised when we play them. Well I hope this doesnt jinx us but I'm scratching my head why UW is #6. They have arguably only beaten 1 quality opponent since 2015 (Stanford in 2016) and lost to all 3 good teams they played last year. Undoubtedly they have talent on both sides of the ball but top 10? Anyway no sense trash talking pre game, just making observations. 

Personally I think they ARE the best team in the perennially overrated Pac 12 and we may meet UW again in the playoffs - win or lose Sept 1. 

WDE! 

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Not "too early" any more.? I'm sure a thread will be made to analyze this opponent but here's my take. It seems we frequently get out of conf opponents that are better than advertised when we play them. Well I hope this doesnt jinx us but I'm scratching my head why UW is #6. They have arguably only beaten 1 quality opponent since 2015 (Stanford in 2016) and lost to all 3 good teams they played last year. Undoubtedly they have talent on both sides of the ball but top 10? Anyway no sense trash talking pre game, just making observations. 

Personally I think they ARE the best team in the perennially overrated Pac 12 and we may meet UW again in the playoffs - win or lose Sept 1. 

WDE! 

My take? They've got a QB, a defense, a wizard of a head coach and an easy schedule in a P5 conference, minus 1 game. That's a recipe to make it to the playoffs, which validates the prognosticators. Doesn't matter so much if they're actually better than, say, the 2nd or even 3rd best team in the SEC. 

On 8/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, McLoofus said:

Sad as it is to say, that game might do better numbers than ours. 

Not a chance. Bammers all over will be tuned in to see if AU loses.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, MDM4AU said:

Are we wearing Blue or White jerseys for this game?

We are the home team but are choosing to wear our road whites in this game...according to sources.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, McLoofus said:

Sad as it is to say, that game might do better numbers than ours. 

True, I'm not too sure what Washington's fanbase is actually like? I don't think they were much before coach P got there.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:33 PM, corchjay said:

Man UA makes some crappy shoes...  Love the apparel but the shoes blah 

As someone who is slowly owning more shoes than shirts...I have to agree. Not sure why they don't embrace fashion like Nike...

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I guess that's okay for now but someone needs to make sure the coaches have their heads on straight before kickoff on Saturday. ? 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

True, I'm not too sure what Washington's fanbase is actually like? I don't think they were much before coach P got there.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I have to imagine they were pretty hype in, what was it, '91 when they won a title? Was that the Steve Emtman era? And I know they have a "navy" since the stadium is on the water. And they care enough to pay Petersen $6 million a year. Seattle's a great sports down and they show up big time for their local teams. But is Washington one of those teams? Are they an afterthought after the pro teams? Do Washington students stay in the area, or is that one of those schools like Ga Tech that sends a lot of software engineers and rocket scientists back to whatever corner of this or some other country they came from? 

I just wonder which way the casual fan who's only going to watch one game goes. Are they going to watch two upper middle class, top-10 teams go at it in the middle of the day or will they hunker down for some prime-time hate-watching of the Duke basketball of CFB? 

This is one of my two favorite weekends of the year. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

As someone who is slowly owning more shoes than shirts...I have to agree. Not sure why they don't embrace fashion like Nike...

Gotta stay on that shoe game! 

Archived