White House flag returns to full staff two days after McCain's death

homersapien

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/27/john-mccain-death-white-house-flag-full-staff-797461

......Presidential proclamations for the death of a prominent U.S. official typically call for the flag to be lowered until the date of interment. McCain's funeral is planned for Saturday.

Trump has issued half-staff proclamations for others, including four days for former first lady Barbara Bush, who died in April, and eight days for the late Sen. John Glenn.

During the tenure of former President Barack Obama, the White House marked the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, by ordering U.S. flags lowered to half-staff for seven days......

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Interesting no one has posted that the WH flag is at half mast again. 

Have you considered that the story on it was only posted within the last hour?  And according to the Trump News Network, only after complaint from veteran's groups?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/27/trump-orders-flags-flown-at-half-staff-until-mccain-burial.html

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

For Trump, pettiness is considered a virtue.  My 15-year old is more emotionally mature.

The pettiness lies with you.  Proper US Flag Protocol was followed correctly in honor of Senator John McCain.

US Flag Protocol as established by President Dwight Eisenhower and posted by the VA:

The flag is to be flown at half-staff at all federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels in the Washington, D.C., area on the day and day after the death of a United States senator, representative, territorial delegate, or the resident commissioner from the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. It should also be flown at half-staff on all federal facilities in the state, congressional district,
territory, or commonwealth of these officials.

Over the eight years of the Obama administration the flag was flown improperly on numerous occasions for reasons no other administration observed and for longer periods than proscribed.

13 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The pettiness lies with you.  Proper US Flag Protocol was followed correctly in honor of Senator John McCain.

US Flag Protocol as established by President Dwight Eisenhower and posted by the VA:

The flag is to be flown at half-staff at all federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels in the Washington, D.C., area on the day and day after the death of a United States senator, representative, territorial delegate, or the resident commissioner from the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. It should also be flown at half-staff on all federal facilities in the state, congressional district,

Over the eight years of the Obama administration the flag was flown improperly on numerous occasions for reasons
no other administration observed and for longer periods than proscribed.

Nope.  The pettiness lies with the same dude that denigrated McCain's service because he was captured, all while avoiding military service for himself.  It's illustrative to look at the previous times Trump lowered the flag during his tenure:

Billy Graham:  Trump orders flags lowered Feb 21st.  Kept them there until his internment on March 2nd.

Las Vegas shooting:  Trump orders flags lowered Oct 2nd.  Remained in effect for 5 days.

Parkland, FL school shooting:  Trump orders flags lowered Feb 15th, remained in effect until Feb 19th.

Federal code states that flags should be lowered “on the day of death and the following day” for a member of Congress. But the president has the power to issue a proclamation ordering that flags be lowered and for how long. 

Perhaps if Obama wasn’t living rent-free in some of y’all’s heads, you would have bothered to compare Trump’s own previous attempts instead of worrying about the previous guy  

30 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Nope.  The pettiness lies with the same dude that denigrated McCain's service because he was captured, all while avoiding military service for himself.  It's illustrative to look at the previous times Trump lowered the flag during his tenure:

Billy Graham:  Trump orders flags lowered Feb 21st.  Kept them there until his internment on March 2nd.

Las Vegas shooting:  Trump orders flags lowered Oct 2nd.  Remained in effect for 5 days.

Parkland, FL school shooting:  Trump orders flags lowered Feb 15th, remained in effect until Feb 19th.

Federal code states that flags should be lowered “on the day of death and the following day” for a member of Congress. But the president has the power to issue a proclamation ordering that flags be lowered and for how long. 

Perhaps if Obama wasn’t living rent-free in some of y’all’s heads, you would have bothered to compare Trump’s own previous attempts instead of worrying about the previous guy  

And so you believe that DJT should have extended a courtesy in honor of McCain by keeping the flag at half mast for McCain for a longer period ?  For how long ?

2 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

And so you believe that DJT should have extended a courtesy in honor of McCain by keeping the flag at half mast for McCain for a longer period ?  For how long ?.

Longer than he did.  Similar to what he's done in the past for other flag-lowerings.  Putting it back up the next day was a "f*** you" gesture.  Petty.

Let us not, on this forum, politicize the death of an American hero.

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Longer than he did.  Similar to what he's done in the past for other flag-lowerings.  Putting it back up the next day was a "f*** you" gesture.  Petty.

And that's exactly how the lack of flying the flag for more than the proscribed number of days for McCain should be interpreted.  JM lost that courtesy when he chose to run to Comey with a fake dossier that has kept this nation in turmoil for 2 years.  McCain was honored properly, no less and certainly no more than he deserved.  If he had never had the cancer, then he would have been brought before the House to testify about his propagation of fake intelligence.  McCain did a great disservice to this nation.

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

And that's exactly how the lack of flying the flag for more than the proscribed number of days for McCain should be interpreted.  JM lost that courtesy when he chose to run to Comey with a fake dossier that has kept this nation in turmoil for 2 years.  McCain was honored properly, no less and certainly no more than he deserved.  If he had never had the cancer, then he would have been brought before the House to testify about his propagation of fake intelligence.  McCain did a great disservice to this nation.

Bull****.  Don't act like McCain started this.  Trump decided to fire the first shots on this when in his petulant inability to take any criticism or accept that anyone would not support his candidacy, he decided to piss on McCain's service because "he's not a war hero...I like war heroes who weren't captured."  

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Let us not, on this forum, politicize the death of an American hero.

Remember, he's not a hero because he was captured.  Or so says the draft dodging, braying jackass we're stuck with.

3 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Over the eight years of the Obama administration the flag was flown improperly on numerous occasions for reasons no other administration observed and for longer periods than proscribed.

Thank you!!! As a young Navy guy,, McCain was my hero. As a Senator he was OK but not my hero

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

JM chose to politicize his own death in his last words that were read today.

Let's look at these horrible, politicized words that warranted a US President behaving like an ass today over a man's death:

My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

I have often observed that I am the luckiest person on earth. I feel that way even now as I prepare for the end of my life. I have loved my life, all of it. I have had experiences, adventures and friendships enough for ten satisfying lives, and I am so thankful. Like most people, I have regrets. But I would not trade a day of my life, in good or bad times, for the best day of anyone else's. 

I owe that satisfaction to the love of my family. No man ever had a more loving wife or children he was prouder of than I am of mine. And I owe it to America. To be connected to America's causes -- liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people -- brings happiness more sublime than life's fleeting pleasures. Our identities and sense of worth are not circumscribed but enlarged by serving good causes bigger than ourselves.

Fellow Americans' -- that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world's greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening.

I feel it powerfully still.

Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America.

You have to be a complete loon to think that warranted Trump's boorish, childish, and "piss on a man's grave" behavior by that a**hole in the White House today.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Do not despair of our present difficulties

What are our present difficulties? We are not engaged in ongoing war. The economy is booming. Times are actually better than I ever remember in my lowly and humble life.

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

What are our present difficulties? We are not engaged in ongoing war. The economy is booming. Times are actually better than I ever remember in my lowly and humble life.

Thank you young man. . Where have you been when I needed you the last couple of days? But 41, 64, and 91 were helping our

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Perhaps the divisiveness and polarization of the American public that is the worst it's been in my lifetime?

I refused to vote for McCain in the 2008 election and if anything, my opinion of him has lowered since then. That's all that needs to be said.

44 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Perhaps the divisiveness and polarization of the American public that is the worst it's been in my lifetime?

Many of us would put the blame for that at Obama's doorstep.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I refused to vote for McCain in the 2008 election and if anything, my opinion of him has lowered since then. That's all that needs to be said.

Correct. :glare:

You are nothing if not self-revealing.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Easy to say when one's life is no longer "lowly or humble".    ;)

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Let's look at these horrible, politicized words that warranted a US President behaving like an ass today over a man's death:

You have to be a complete loon to think that warranted Trump's boorish, childish, and "piss on a man's grave" behavior by that a**hole in the White House today.

And you have to be an idiot to not understand the turmoil that McCain brought upon this nation by introducing fake intelligence to the FBI in order to undermine the duly-elected president of the USA.  He should have been held accountable for that but escaped it only because of his cancer.

Honor required a senator who died while in office was dutifully fulfilled within the parameters established by President Eisenhower.  Get over it.  Trump wasn't boorish and he certainly didn't piss on JM's grave.  The only one who pissed on JM's grave was himself.  McCain's pettiness is what started this tete-a-tete between DJT and himself, which consistently he maintained through his remaining days.  He chose to be a jerk.

JM did serve America with distinction but minimized himself by being less than he promised.

Bring on Jon Kyl.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Bull****.  Don't act like McCain started this.  Trump decided to fire the first shots on this when in his petulant inability to take any criticism or accept that anyone would not support his candidacy, he decided to piss on McCain's service because "he's not a war hero...I like war heroes who weren't captured."  

Apparently you never kept up with the news.  McCain chose to attack American voters, calling them "crazies", in reference to Trump voters.  Trump responded by saying:

“He’s not a war hero”. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

McCain, and apparently you, don't like being hit back when justly deserved.  McCain was the jerk who started this tete-a-tete.

Archived