Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast

CR

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really don't like the player bashing tbh. I mean critique performance but not potential. Otherwise, they were firing off and I agreed with most.

I took it as bashing Malzahns recruiting philosophy and how he runs this multi million dollar operation. Not player bashing. THOUGH I do see how one would think that and how it would come across like that. Muschamp it was said by Pmarsh on 247 when he took the USC lite job was really critical of how Gus handled recruiting. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really don't like the player bashing tbh. I mean critique performance but not potential. Otherwise, they were firing off and I agreed with most.

It seemed to me like most of the player bashing, was more bashing them being misused or misevaluated by Gus, i.e. playing out of position or should never have been signed (i.e. not their fault).

I mean our #1 RB was a high school QB.  Our starting LT was a defensive end with what, 2 years of high school football experience. Our starting corner is a converted WR. Our best OL is a transfer from Massachusetts. Top RB recruit from last year is a WR, umm CB? Etc, etc.

17 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You were on the Earl Brown bus in 1950 too weren't you?

Sorry dont know who the hell that is lol...my mom was not even born in 1950. 

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Sorry dont know who the hell that is lol...my mom was not even born in 1950. 

Thanks man!  That gave me a good laugh in a good way.  Brown was Auburn's football coach and went 0-10 in 1950.:D

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

But you do agree that he is underperforming or at least performing up to par to his pay, correct? 

This season yes. But IMO expectations were so high..too high. I saw 9-3 or 8-4. Just too much youth and lack of depth on the o- line. Tough schedule. New freshman kicker. Once KJ/KAM left I was like no way lil Kmart can be a legit back in this offense. In this offense you have to be effective running the ball, honestly in this conference you have to be able to. And right now Auburn can’t run it well enough consistently. Even with all that I am mostly frustrated by the performance of our upper classmen...in each loss they have made critical mistakes that one could say cost Auburn an opportunity to win. In every loss less MSU, Stidham has had two turnovers that gave the other team points, and he missed some sure fire TD passes as well. Slayton has dropped two or more TD passes in losses to UT and MSU. Ryan Davis has had some critical drops that halted drives or put Auburn behind the chains. Without some of those mistakes by the upper classmen players I think Auburn beats LSU and UT for sure. I don’t wanna sound like a player basher but come on these are plays I am sure they would admit they should have made. Plays that they were making last season and for some reason are missing this season. Hey it is what it is, whatever happens happens...and I’ll still be here pulling for the old coach or new coach and the team they are leading. 

19 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Thanks man!  That gave me a good laugh in a good way.  Brown was Auburn's football coach and went 0-10 in 1950.:D

Ouch ....I know he was glad the internet was not around then...

27 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

This season yes. But IMO expectations were so high..too high. I saw 9-3 or 8-4. Just too much youth and lack of depth on the o- line. Tough schedule. New freshman kicker. Once KJ/KAM left I was like no way lil Kmart can be a legit back in this offense. In this offense you have to be effective running the ball, honestly in this conference you have to be able to. And right now Auburn can’t run it well enough consistently. Even with all that I am mostly frustrated by the performance of our upper classmen...in each loss they have made critical mistakes that one could say cost Auburn an opportunity to win. In every loss less MSU, Stidham has had two turnovers that gave the other team points, and he missed some sure fire TD passes as well. Slayton has dropped two or more TD passes in losses to UT and MSU. Ryan Davis has had some critical drops that halted drives or put Auburn behind the chains. Without some of those mistakes by the upper classmen players I think Auburn beats LSU and UT for sure. I don’t wanna sound like a player basher but come on these are plays I am sure they would admit they should have made. Plays that they were making last season and for some reason are missing this season. Hey it is what it is, whatever happens happens...and I’ll still be here pulling for the old coach or new coach and the team they are leading. 

I place all the blame on the OL and the swing and misses in OT crutin and the lack of player development  at the feet of Gus and his hiring of his cronies. We needed a home run hire after Herb mercifully was taken off our hands by Texas. We hit a weak middling dribbler back to the pitcher with the re hire of JB Grimes. It is year 6. We should not be having these problems still.

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We hit a weak middling dribbler back to the pitcher with the re hire of JB Grimes.

I'd call it more like a bunt with 2 strikes that we fouled off...lol.

Just now, oracle79 said:

I'd call it more like a bunt with 2 strikes that we fouled off...lol.

lmao! touche fam.

Regarding the "money men" running the show vs AD Greene convo....

Would I be naive to think that EVERY major P5 program is, at the very least, heavily influenced by their own "money men" who lean heavily on their favorite institutions' AD's?

I don't picture tOSU, Nebraska, USCw, UTx, et al being run by their respective AD's all free and void of having to report & answer to those with all-powerful checkbooks....

Personally, I would believe Auburn's "money men" situation to be the rule, more than the exception.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Would I be naive to think that EVERY major P5 program is, at the very least, heavily influenced by their own "money men" who lean heavily on their favorite institutions' AD's?

I don't picture tOSU, Nebraska, USCw, UTx, et al being run by their respective AD's all free and void of having to report & answer to those with all-powerful checkbooks....

Personally, I would believe Auburn's "money men" situation to be the rule, more than the exception.

To think they don't have an influence is naive. People bring up Saban, but Saban is also winning lol. If he was inconsistent as his previous predecessors, do you think he would have as much pull? 

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I had seriously forgotten he was even on the team until you mentioned him now.

Yet look at where we're at with our running backs....one guy who was so good in high school people still debate who was better him or KJ, who doesn't play and we had this guy who we made a DB.....smh

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I place all the blame on the OL and the swing and misses in OT crutin and the lack of player development  at the feet of Gus and his hiring of his cronies. We needed a home run hire after Herb mercifully was taken off our hands by Texas. We hit a weak middling dribbler back to the pitcher with the re hire of JB Grimes. It is year 6. We should not be having these problems still.

Key line is that last one.  The question is WHY should we have had LOWER expectations in year 6? If Gus had run off two or three straight 9 or 10 win seasons where we were consistent on offense then we could understand one slightly down year of 7 or 8 wins while he overcomes some misses on the recruiting trail...but what he keeps proving is 4 loss or more seasons are the norm and not the exception so saying we should’ve had lower expectations in year 6 is just ridiculous.  

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

It seemed to me like most of the player bashing, was more bashing them being misused or misevaluated by Gus, i.e. playing out of position or should never have been signed (i.e. not their fault).

I mean our #1 RB was a high school QB.  Our starting LT was a defensive end with what, 2 years of high school football experience. Our starting corner is a converted WR. Our best OL is a transfer from Massachusetts. Top RB recruit from last year is a WR, umm CB? Etc, etc.

I do not know if I would use those players as an argument for your point.  Here is my reasoning:  Many high school players are at multiple or different positions in high school.  That is why we have an "Athlete" class.  Many high schools can only utilize who is on their team.  Most high schools cannot recruit talent, certainly not like colleges.  So sometimes they need players to be in positions not best suited to their skillsets due to depth concerns.

That is the case in Whitlow.  Many do think he will be a great RB in time and has shown flashes.  I do see improvement in him, mainly going north/south instead of east/west like he did in Spring ball.  Prince Tega has always gotten great reviews saying he will be a stud with time/coaching.  OL is also just a hard position to evaluate in the first place.  Iggy has shown all year he belongs as a DB and I am thankful they switched him now instead of later in his career.  I really wish they switched Trovon Reed earlier in his career as he could have been a lock down corner.

This sort of thing just happens.

I did not listen to the podcast so I am not sure if they refer to the 2018 recruiting class and the 2019 class but I have been pleased with both classes with the exception of OL recruiting.  Hand really screwed us over for the 2018 class leaving when he did.  2018 may have been the most underrated class we have ever had in regards to how many impact freshmen we have had.  I believe this is the most freshmen we have ever played.  For 2019, if we retain who we currently have committed and land a few more on the OL I will be very pleased.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think the timing of Hand leaving was not ideal.  He left at the worst possible time and when we needed to hire a new guy, most OL coaches were already tied down.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

when we needed to hire a new guy, most OL coaches were already tied down.

Gus was given carte blanche to hire whomever he wanted as the next OL coach. He proceeded to lead an exhaustive nationwide search that lasted one day and ended with the hiring of JB.  Pure Awesomeness!

7 hours ago, DAG said:

To think they don't have an influence is naive. People bring up Saban, but Saban is also winning lol. If he was inconsistent as his previous predecessors, do you think he would have as much pull? 

Trust me, not all of uat's "money men" are happy with or about Saban. He is stronger than you think.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I do not know if I would use those players as an argument for your point.  Here is my reasoning:  Many high school players are at multiple or different positions in high school.  That is why we have an "Athlete" class.  Many high schools can only utilize who is on their team.  Most high schools cannot recruit talent, certainly not like colleges.  So sometimes they need players to be in positions not best suited to their skillsets due to depth concerns.

That is the case in Whitlow.  Many do think he will be a great RB in time and has shown flashes.  I do see improvement in him, mainly going north/south instead of east/west like he did in Spring ball.  Prince Tega has always gotten great reviews saying he will be a stud with time/coaching.  OL is also just a hard position to evaluate in the first place.  Iggy has shown all year he belongs as a DB and I am thankful they switched him now instead of later in his career.  I really wish they switched Trovon Reed earlier in his career as he could have been a lock down corner.

This sort of thing just happens.

I did not listen to the podcast so I am not sure if they refer to the 2018 recruiting class and the 2019 class but I have been pleased with both classes with the exception of OL recruiting.  Hand really screwed us over for the 2018 class leaving when he did.  2018 may have been the most underrated class we have ever had in regards to how many impact freshmen we have had.  I believe this is the most freshmen we have ever played.  For 2019, if we retain who we currently have committed and land a few more on the OL I will be very pleased.

I think the timing of Hand leaving was not ideal.  He left at the worst possible time and when we needed to hire a new guy, most OL coaches were already tied down.

The most important aspect of running a business, or a team, is hiring quality people.  People who don't just cow-tow to your whims.  Gus is incapable of doing that on the offensive side of the ball. That is proven.

But, in the midst of his sixth season, he has consistently shown that he is a below average recruiter, especially on the offensive side of the ball, which, if I understand correctly, is his specialty.  To be in the middle of your sixth season, and to have this poor an OL, is inexcusable.  The OL, of itself, is a two to three year work in progress, for it is in shambles.  Or better, a DISASTER. Not to mention the Tight End situation...

39 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Trust me, not all of uat's "money men" are happy with or about Saban. He is stronger than you think.

In their case, they're probably not happy because he doesn't let them dress out and pretend to be on the team so that they can shower with the players.

Saban's only as powerful as he is because of the "success" he's maintained while being protected by his buddies in the NCAA (and apparently SEC officials' office).

At this point I'm just ready for a change. Gus' blunders are so facepalm-worthy that I think almost any coach that wasn't plucked directly from HS and instead has worked their way up in the college coaching ladder would be an upgrade.

As it stands right now I'm willing to sacrifice some of what Gus does well to eliminate all of his program killing deficiencies.

I like that Greene is not tied to Gus in any way which will allow for him to, hopefully, make an objective decision. 

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

What a lot of posters do not seem to realize is Greene is Gus’ boss, sure, but with a contract so large that was approved by the President of the University, no way he is making the decision to keep or fire Gus by himself.  He will be the one that tells Gus, but will only do so if the money men and the President tell him to.

Greene’s salary disparity and contract particulars affects how he handles each coach.  I would have no doubt if Greene feels the Men’s Track Coach needs to go, he can make his point to the President and that coach would be gone.  Not so when 32 million is involved.  Somebody has to come up with that kind of money.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

Yep, I am not saying he shouldn't get fired. I am saying I don't think he will. Again, with that being said, he needs to hire the right OC because next year, those expectations will be deadly. 

Next year was going to be the rebuilding year. This year was the one to make a run. Going to be ugly next year. New QB, no OL, new DL, new LBers, MEH CB's. Will have to give Freeze over 1.5m to take the OC job next year if Gus is here. No other rising or proven OC will touch the job. If Gus stays he is going to have to get rid of most of his OC staff. Ugly and caused by just one person. I don't need to say the name. 

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

What a lot of posters do not seem to realize is Greene is Gus’ boss, sure, but with a contract so large that was approved by the President of the University, no way he is making the decision to keep or fire Gus by himself.  He will be the one that tells Gus, but will only do so if the money men and the President tell him to.

Greene’s salary disparity and contract particulars affects how he handles each coach.  I would have no doubt if Greene feels the Men’s Track Coach needs to go, he can make his point to the President and that coach would be gone.  Not so when 32 million is involved.  Somebody has to come up with that kind of money.

Let's be real here, not one AD at a blue blood school makes any head football coaching changes / decisions alone. Not one. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Let's be real here, not one AD at a blue blood school makes any head football coaching changes / decisions alone. Not one. 

Yeah, I believe that is what I just typed.

ETA: Thanks for the clarification on the blue blood schools.

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Next year was going to be the rebuilding year. This year was the one to make a run. Going to be ugly next year. New QB, no OL, new DL, new LBers, MEH CB's. Will have to give Freeze over 1.5m to take the OC job next year if Gus is here. No other rising or proven OC will touch the job. If Gus stays he is going to have to get rid of most of his OC staff. Ugly and caused by just one person. I don't need to say the name. 

Golf

Archived