Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Because of our D, we were in games that we should’ve gotten blown off the field.

Can you list these games? LSU maybe. Are we going back to blaming the offense for the defense giving up the last 12 points of the ball game? We were blown off the field against Georgia and Bama, and the offense isnt to blame for either game. The offense isn’t to blame for the defense’s blunder against Tennessee either. Why Tennessee scored more than 10 points against us is a mystery. 

As for MSU, Tennessee,  Ole Miss, and Arkansas, they didn’t have an offense capable of blowing 2014 Auburn off the field. 

Not moving the ball, turnovers, and not scoring points put strain on your Defense.

And not getting off the field put strain on tbe defense as well. Imagine that. We gave up 190 rushing yards to Mississippi State’s QB alone. Are you trying to say they all came in tbe fourth?

They had their troubles this year, forsure, but we’re singing a completely different tune today if the O pulls their weight, who knows, they may have been better statiscally as a whole had the offense been able to pull their weight and sustain drives. 

I doubt it. Still wouldn’t be able to pass rush and Steele would’ve still been scared to leave our DBs on islands. 

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

I know that Patrick Nix was our qb but has he coached qb's during his career?  Would he be interested?  If he did take the job, would all the other qb's on the roster bolt due to the possibility of favoritism?  Just thinking out loud.

Patrick Nix's coaching career:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1996–1998
Jacksonville State (assistant)
1999–2000
Henderson State
Samford (WR)
2002–2006
Georgia Tech (RB/QB/OC)
2007–2008
Miami (FL) (OC)
2010–2012
Charleston Southern (WR)
2013–2016
Scottsboro HS (AL)
2017–present
Pinson Valley HS (AL)

....FWIW, he was considered a rising star IIRC at Ga Tech but as an OC at Miami, he was a flop.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Patrick Nix's coaching career:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1996–1998
Jacksonville State (assistant)
1999–2000
Henderson State
Samford (WR)
2002–2006
Georgia Tech (RB/QB/OC)
2007–2008
Miami (FL) (OC)
2010–2012
Charleston Southern (WR)
2013–2016
Scottsboro HS (AL)
2017–present
Pinson Valley HS (AL)

....FWIW, he was considered a rising star IIRC at Ga Tech but as an OC at Miami, he was a flop.

I wouldn't hate it. Probably the best we can do if it's true that the President has handcuffed Gus' hiring capabilities.

Bentley as QB coach.  He needs to expand his resume.    Gus is the OC/HC.

Do I get a vote?   What time is the conference call with Gus and Alan Greene?  I can't find that text.

(pretty sure the rule is still in place that P Nix can't coach at Auburn for 2 yrs b/c Bo is coming)

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I wouldn't hate it. Probably the best we can do if it's true that the President has handcuffed Gus' hiring capabilities.

Maybe as a QB coach.  However, you could write off the other 3 QB's and Bo Nix is still not the type QB Gus needs for his "current" Offense.  Now....if he can revisit '09 or his Tulsa style O's then maybe they'll be on to something.

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Maybe as a QB coach.  However, you could write off the other 3 QB's and Bo Nix is still not the type QB Gus needs for his "current" Offense.  Now....if he can revisit '09 or his Tulsa style O's then maybe they'll be on to something.

His tulsa offense was really no different than what he does today. He just attempted more deep passes and it worked because dudes were streaking wide open down the field at that level. 

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Can you list these games? LSU maybe. Are we going back to blaming the offense for the defense giving up the last 12 points of the ball game? We were blown off the field against Georgia and Bama, and the offense isnt to blame for either game. The offense isn’t to blame for the defense’s blunder against Tennessee either. Why Tennessee scored more than 10 points against us is a mystery. 

As for MSU, Tennessee,  Ole Miss, and Arkansas, they didn’t have an offense capable of blowing 2014 Auburn off the field. 

And not getting off the field put strain on tbe defense as well. Imagine that. We gave up 190 rushing yards to Mississippi State’s QB alone. Are you trying to say they all came in tbe fourth?

I doubt it. Still wouldn’t be able to pass rush and Steele would’ve still been scared to leave our DBs on islands. 

UGA- D has trouble getting off the field, but still a game until the 4th, O couldn’t score the second half. 

UT- 3 turnovers, one for a TD, still hurt pretty bad

Miss St- Hurts your D when your offense can’t score a single TD. 2 turnovers don’t help either.

A&M- We easily lose if not for the Defense.

Nobody is saying this Defense is elite, or anything like that. Miss State finished 8-4, while ranking in the top 5 in scoring and total defense.

Was the D disappointing with what we expected it to be preseason? Yes, but I think, had the O pulled their weight that they would’ve at least performed somewhat better. Do there need to be changes to the defense? Absolutely, we have to generate more pass rush, we have to tackle better, have to be better in one on one coverage, have to have better gap integrity, outside guys have to do a better job of setting the edge, etc. I’m not as hard on the D because of what they had in an offense this season, doesn’t mean I don’t think changes need to be made, etc.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

His tulsa offense was really no different than what he does today. He just attempted more deep passes and it worked because dudes were streaking wide open down the field at that level. 

I admit I haven't researched much of it.  However, how did the handoffs look in the run game?  That's a key.

Did they turn and quickly get the ball to the RB or (as has been since '15) did the QB pretend to be making a read as if he was a threat to run (even though he isn't) thus wasting valuable time the RB could be using to find a hole and gain a head of steam.

Also did Tulsa run 25 WR Bubblescreens per game?  I don't remember Chris Todd living off that godforsaken play.

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well they just released assistant coaches salaries after everyone got their yearly raise, to include Chip before he walked. Since Gus can only get a new OC at the same price, I hope we can get one for $1.1 million!

Well if no one else wants it, I would do it for one year for 1.1 mil.

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

UGA- D has trouble getting off the field, but still a game until the 4th, O couldn’t score the second half

I don’t even think we got off tbe field in the first half without giving up points.

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

UT- 3 turnovers, one for a TD, still hurt pretty bad

Yeah I know about tbe turnovers. D should’ve still been relatively fresh though. It’s not like we couldn’t move the ball.

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Miss St- Hurts your D when your offense can’t score a single TD. 2 turnovers don’t help either.

Well, they are the number one scoring defense in the nation, and they’ve managed just fine even with a just as inept offense. Truth be told our defense did get screwed several times, but there were several other times where they’d allow scores after we scored, or after intermission, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

A&M- We easily lose if not for the Defense.

We nearly lost thanks to the combined efforts of the offense and defense. They both sucked until the fourth after 24 points were already given up. 😭

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Nobody is saying this Defense is elite, or anything like that. Miss State finished 8-4, while ranking in the top 5 in scoring and total defense.

Everybody was in the preseason, so where is tbeir accountability. Hell Mcloofus was saying our DL was a top 3 “if not the best” DL post LSU. 

Its all good partner. Maybe we will agree on the next discussion. 🍺

23 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I admit I haven't researched much of it.  However, how did the handoffs look in the run game?  That's a key.

Did they turn and quickly get the ball to the RB or (as has been since '15) did the QB pretend to be making a read as if he was a threat to run (even though he isn't) thus wasting valuable time the RB could be using to find a hole and gain a head of steam.

Also did Tulsa run 25 WR Bubblescreens per game?  I don't remember Chris Todd living off that godforsaken play.

I will admit the 2009 malzahn offense was def different than any we have seen before. Either at Arky, Tulsa and post 2009. IDK what happened to that guy. 

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

Bentley as QB coach.  He needs to expand his resume.    Gus is the OC/HC.

Do I get a vote?   What time is the conference call with Gus and Alan Greene?  I can't find that text.

(pretty sure the rule is still in place that P Nix can't coach at Auburn for 2 yrs b/c Bo is coming)

Good to know. I had forgot about that. Carry on!

I just wish that the PTB would just get out of their own way and stop making us look so bad.  It has gotten way out of hand.  Its time to think about everyone else in the program and try to put the best product on the field that we can at this point.  If we have an opportunity to hire Hugh Freeze, I sure wish we could.  

This is the list of the Total Yards Offensive Leaders through 1 December compiled by the NCAA. Now it will be obvious that some OC’s we won’t be able to go after, but I think there are some small school OC’s that might be willing to take a chance.

Memphis at #3, UCF at #6, Cincinnati at #27, Buffalo at #32 (AD Green), Toledo at #34 and Wake Forest at #39 all run a very balanced attack and are all +30 points a game. 

9633D61E-C061-44A3-86CB-3044A0E92FD4.png

3770B744-F438-4992-BB66-9EFFAA5F4ABF.png

1E621090-E4A4-4389-BE06-B85DD63DA8E8.png

5 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This is the list of the Total Yards Offensive Leaders through 1 December compiled by the NCAA. Now it will be obvious that some OC’s we won’t be able to go after, but I think there are some small school OC’s that might be willing to take a chance.

Memphis at #3, UCF at #6, Cincinnati at #27, Buffalo at #32 (AD Green), Toledo at #34 and Wake Forest at #39 all run a very balanced attack and are all +30 points a game. 

9633D61E-C061-44A3-86CB-3044A0E92FD4.png

3770B744-F438-4992-BB66-9EFFAA5F4ABF.png

1E621090-E4A4-4389-BE06-B85DD63DA8E8.png

Graham Harrell has North Texas at 17. Dude is going to be a stud with whoever finally hires him. 

If, IF, the board of trustees is really blocking Gus from giving Freeze the contract he wants, we really have the most incompetent front office in the history of sports (I know this would only be one example of that, maybe not even the worst, but this cements it)

I’m sure this has already been covered, as I’ve tried to stay out of this, but I wonder if the BOT has told gus that a multi year deal for freeze is fine as long as gus guarantees his contract beyond 1 year out of his $49 mil contract

20 hours ago, Beaker said:

Somebody brought that up on the radio a few days ago and the hosts said that rule only applied to off-field analyst type positions. There are no restrictions for coaches and recruits from the same school if it is an on field position. 

10 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

With no names being mentioned other than Freeze, it makes me wonder if theres truth to the Kodi Burns promotion rumor. 

Oh sweet golly molly. I just realize that the conversation about our OC candidates is...

...hear me out, guys, I'm serious... you can see for yourselves that's it's true...

...but our next OC, according to the info at hand, is....

Freeze or Burns.

(It works on 2 levels.)
(You all have my most sincere apologies.)

My opinion is this.  

If gus was taking over as OC then it would have already happened.  I see no benefits in keeping that under wraps this long.  We are doing one of two things:

1.  We are waiting on a currently employed coach to be available or time the official announcement with their bowl game. 

2.  Gus really wants to hire a currently available coach but is being hindered/negotiating terms.  

3 minutes ago, tigerchris said:

My opinion is this.  

If gus was taking over as OC then it would have already happened.  I see no benefits in keeping that under wraps this long.  We are doing one of two things:

1.  We are waiting on a currently employed coach to be available or time the official announcement with their bowl game. 

2.  Gus really wants to hire a currently available coach but is being hindered/negotiating terms.  

Look man, that's just... that's just... I mean, you can't seriously...

...Hmmm. Yeah. That totally holds water, actually. My bad, bro. Good post.

Archived