2019 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

@McLoofus out here fighting the good fight. Give the kids what they want! They’re making the money. 

It's so crazy how these people act. Acting like a buncha butthurt crybabies because a kid doesn't sacrifice his future for some millionaire coach who has proven time and again that his judgment is, to put it kindly, highly imperfect. 

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's so crazy how these people act. Acting like a buncha butthurt crybabies because a kid doesn't sacrifice his future for some millionaire coach who has proven time and again that his judgment is, to put it kindly, highly imperfect. 

Too many people are stuck in that mindset. These kids don’t owe a thing to anyone. 98% of them just want to make it in the NFL. They risk injury to all parts of their body for entertainment for us. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Too many people are stuck in that mindset. These kids don’t owe a thing to anyone. 98% of them just want to make it in the NFL. They risk injury to all parts of their body for entertainment for us. 

Not to mention, these folks act like Auburn University did Nate Craig-Myers or Kyle Davis some huge favor by allowing them the opportunity to wear the O&B. Give me a freaking break. We literally beg these kids to come play for us. I wonder why? Surely not because football games won off these kids' backs makes a sh**load of money for the old people who make the rules. Nah, that couldn't be it.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Especially since that one walk-on went from not being countable to SEC quality the second he was given a scholarship! 

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not to mention, these folks act like Auburn University did Nate Craig-Myers or Kyle Davis some huge favor by allowing them the opportunity to wear the O&B. Give me a freaking break. We literally beg these kids to come play for us. I wonder why? Surely not because football games won off these kids' backs makes a sh**load of money for the old people who make the rules. Nah, that couldn't be it.

NCAA probably thinks this is fair compensation

18 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Too many people are stuck in that mindset. These kids don’t owe a thing to anyone. 

Just out of curiosity, do you think coaches should not owe their players anything as well? I saw that coach K forced a player to enroll early just to burn his redshirt over a meaningless 11 minutes. Fair or foul? And this is Coach K, not Gus.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you think coaches should not owe their players anything as well? I saw that coach K forced a player to enroll early just to burn his redshirt over a meaningless 11 minutes. Fair or foul? And this is Coach K, not Gus.

Are the coaches the ones who risk injury for our entertainment every play?

18 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I mean HS kids do that. You think the stud from Leeds should be able to transfer to Hoover with immediate eligibility?Why are we trying to take a sledge hammer to the makeup of the college sports that we grew up to know.

12 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So who is supposed to teach these kids the game if not the coaches? ...and how do they learn it if not by going out and playing the game at their highest level? 

Maybe half a dozen players at most could go directly to the pros without a year or more of college coaching and preparation.   The other hundred thousand players  get years of specialized training in every aspect of their sport to help them reach the professional levels plus opportunity for a good education.   You think stuff like that does not have value?   Just see what it costs to send your kid to IMG or even a good sports camp or to spend days with private instructors....all in hopes the young prospective athlete will one day get good enough to play at a higher level.   

Plus..  Just my observation but seems that many of the kids who make "business decisions" about where to got to school end up as unhappy athletes. ..I'm hoping the vast majority of these players are out there because they love playing the game....otherwise, why does every school have half dozen walk-ons paying their own way to school.....with no prospect of going professional?  

On 3/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, ClaytonAU said:

With all due respect, they risk injury for the shot at the NFL.  Our entertainment is a byproduct. They are not doing this for us. 

16 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

With all due respect, they risk injury for the shot at the NFL.  Our entertainment is a byproduct. They are not doing this for us. 

Not sure where that 98% came from?   More likely, of the 100 or so members of our football squad, maybe 5 to 7 % in any given season have even a marginal possibility of going to the NFL, more have dreams I guess....but like the majority,  including non-scholarship players.... are  likely out there because they really like playing football and it provides a means for them to go to college.    They may not be doing it for our entertainment but note how many times they comment on the value of good crowd support....it's a pretty big deal playing in JHS with 80,000 people watching and cheering. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure where that 98% came from?   More likely, of the 100 or so members of our football squad, maybe 5 to 7 % in any given season have even a marginal possibility of going to the NFL, more have dreams I guess....but like the majority,  including non-scholarship players.... are  likely out there because they really like playing football and it provides a means for them to go to college.    They may not be doing it for our entertainment but note how many times they comment on the value of good crowd support....it's a pretty big deal playing in JHS with 80,000 people watching and cheering. 

I understand the impact of playing infront of a good crowd vs. I definitely agree that most are playing for the love of the game. I think you got the nail on the head with dreams. I'm sure some are there to get an education but the decision, IMO, for most of these kids to play is the shot at the next level.

I do love watching them play!

Quoting from the link provided by @aujeff11 above: " Patterson joked last month about avoiding recruits with “portal parents,” players he felt whose parents would encourage them to bolt if things went awry."

That could be a tough one to gauge, but it's a great idea.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, aujeff11 said:

I mean HS kids do that. You think the stud from Leeds should be able to transfer to Hoover with immediate eligibility?Why are we trying to take a sledge hammer to the makeup of the college sports that we grew up to know.

Respectfully, I disagree that just because we grew up to know college sports in the current situation as it is gives it some sort of credibility or reason to push back against change or updating the structure of college athletics. The rules are archaic and were made at a time where the climate in and around the sports are just flatly not the same with what is happening today. Things need to be updated IMO.

If we just allowed kids to capitalize on their likeness or allow them to sign sponsorships, etc it would allow the NCAA to keep all their earned money while also avoiding the kids from becoming employees of the schools keeping the idea of the student-athlete alive. However, if we moved to this model I'm wondering how college hoops recruiting would shift as the shoe company sponsored AAU teams would influence recruiting.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Respectfully, I disagree that just because we grew up to know college sports in the current situation as it is gives it some sort of credibility or reason to push back against change or updating the structure of college athletics. The rules are archaic and were made at a time where the climate in and around the sports are just flatly not the same with what is happening today. Things need to be updated IMO.

If we just allowed kids to capitalize on their likeness or allow them to sign sponsorships, etc it would allow the NCAA to keep all their earned money while also avoiding the kids from becoming employees of the schools keeping the idea of the student-athlete alive. However, if we moved to this model I'm wondering how college hoops recruiting would shift as the shoe company sponsored AAU teams would influence recruiting.

I disagree.  Giving these 18-22 yr old young adults that kind of money is going to do nothing but hurt college sports.  The big dogs will always be big dogs because they will have the boosters to give the sponsorships.  Heck you can't even really trust jersey sells.  What is to stop somebody from ordering 5000 jerseys with some kids number so that the kid can get some money, but in the end the jersey isn't worth the thread to make it on.  You are correct that the rules are old and need revision.  But don't go from one extreme to the other.  It should not be an NCAA violation if a kid gets jelly with his biscuit in the morning.  But we don't have to pay them for them to see this.  I was a big proponent for give the kids some stipen, but we can't just open this to a free for all.  Otherwise you will get certain schools paying more and having better sponsors and they will get all the good players.  Keep it a level playing field.  The kids are supposed to be getting an education which is something that a lot of us who paid our own way can truly respect.  That piece of paper opens a lot of doors.

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

18 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I disagree.  Giving these 18-22 yr old young adults that kind of money is going to do nothing but hurt college sports.  The big dogs will always be big dogs because they will have the boosters to give the sponsorships.  Heck you can't even really trust jersey sells.  What is to stop somebody from ordering 5000 jerseys with some kids number so that the kid can get some money, but in the end the jersey isn't worth the thread to make it on.  You are correct that the rules are old and need revision.  But don't go from one extreme to the other.  It should not be an NCAA violation if a kid gets jelly with his biscuit in the morning.  But we don't have to pay them for them to see this.  I was a big proponent for give the kids some stipen, but we can't just open this to a free for all.  Otherwise you will get certain schools paying more and having better sponsors and they will get all the good players.  Keep it a level playing field.  The kids are supposed to be getting an education which is something that a lot of us who paid our own way can truly respect.  That piece of paper opens a lot of doors.

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

I respect your opinion even though I disagree. I just feel like there's a better chance of the money being paid to these kids aboveboard if they allow these things to happen rather than having to do it and Shady back alleyways. Jmo, good sir

I see this in High School wrestling all the time. Kid transfers schools and the rest of the county gets their panties in a bunch. Until they're the benefit of a transfer then they're all for it.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Quoting from the link provided by @aujeff11 above: " Patterson joked last month about avoiding recruits with “portal parents,” players he felt whose parents would encourage them to bolt if things went awry."

That could be a tough one to gauge, but it's a great idea.

Guess the coaches have to read the tea leaves when talking with parents....and judge whether the recruitment is about the student's expectations.... or the parent's expectations.   Some of the stuff you see during the recruiting season it does seem like some parents are our there selling their sons ...hoping for a personal gain. 

The transfer thing does not bother me. When I was in college I could change degrees, go to another college or what ever. As long as I had the money to do so. The thing that drives me crazy is we act as though the kids get nothing. How many of us worked through college to pay bills? The average yearly tuition for a student going to a public university in their state is $20,770 for tuition and and room and board. This does not count books, nutritionist, and other things.  I am not saying the kids should not be compinsated a little for their time. Maybe a small amount for food and gas and such. However, they are getting a degree that most will make more using than they ever will make in the NFL.

50 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

The transfer thing does not bother me. When I was in college I could change degrees, go to another college or what ever. As long as I had the money to do so. The thing that drives me crazy is we act as though the kids get nothing. How many of us worked through college to pay bills? The average yearly tuition for a student going to a public university in their state is $20,770 for tuition and and room and board. This does not count books, nutritionist, and other things.  I am not saying the kids should not be compinsated a little for their time. Maybe a small amount for food and gas and such. However, they are getting a degree that most will make more using than they ever will make in the NFL.

Agreed.  I am with you.  Depending on the school, books, room and board, I would say you are easily looking over $40K at most D1 schools.  Throw in tutors & facilities that these athletes get and that add to it.  There are not many 18-22 yr olds making over $40K a year.  They get plenty of freebies.  Let them have that.  But we can't start paying them like Saban or there will be no parity.

22 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Pay 'em work study wages for required time spent in their sport.  20 hours a week right?

Is that not basically what they get with their current scholarships & stipens?  The other question would be where do you draw the line.  Most people are focused on bigger sports (football\basketball) but what about any of the other sports that don't give full scholarships like baseball, softball, soccer, etc.  These kids have to get multiple scholarships with their athletic ones just to get buy, but they have to follow the same dumb NCAA rules about no job and such.  No those are the ones I feel for and wish there was something that could be done.

Archived