2019 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

Yeah. Making the kids get lawyers and make up excuses is stupid. Just man up and drop the facade, especially since it's unnecessary and unfair to the kids to begin with. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy

College Football Free Agency is in full swing. Total BS. Fight me if you disagree. 

I mean, after Fields to Ohio State, who did not see this coming?  

Free agency is a fact of life now....

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And this bad, because... ?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And this bad, because... ?

I think it is for a lot of reasons....but just for one...allows players to quit on their team mates and coaches just because things are not going their way....which IMO is not a good character trait to develop. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think it is for a lot of reasons....but just for one...allows players to quit on their team mates and coaches just because things are not going their way....which IMO is not a good character trait to develop. 

They learn that from the coaches. 

Next?

PS- Really gotta quit trotting out this notion that the team is let down when guys who don't get to play leave. How quickly some of y'all forget that Tre Williams was telling Deshaun Davis to leave because Will Muschamp wasn't ever going to let him play. Lucky for Davis, his coach quit on him.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well at least Fields played the race card. The “I couldn’t start” card must be an extreme hardship on these players for the NCAA to waive their one year residential rule. Never mind tbe fact that the residential rule has been there for years and many were forced to abide by it after they couldn’t start. 

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well at least Fields played the race card. The “I couldn’t start” card must be an extreme hardship on these players for the NCAA to waive their one year residential rule. Never mind tbe fact that the residential rule has been there for years and many were forced to abide by it after they couldn’t start. 

And I guess it could be relevant that the schools have spent a ton of money on special coaching, room and board, tuition, tutoring and more and then some other school will get the benefit of that "investment".   

Maybe the schools who take  a "no-delay" transfer should reimburse the original school for the value of that year of college when they take the transfer student.  Georgia saved OSU a lot of money getting Fields ready to play big time football and OSU is gonna get the benefit....good deal for everyone but Uga.   :dunno:

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And I guess it could be relevant that the schools have spent a ton of money on special coaching, room and board, tuition, tutoring and more and then some other school will get the benefit of that "investment".   

Maybe the schools who take  a "no-delay" transfer should reimburse the original school for the value of that year of college when they take the transfer student.  Georgia saved OSU a lot of money getting Fields ready to play big time football and OSU is gonna get the benefit....good deal for everyone but Uga.   :dunno:

So OSU didn't have any of their own guys transfer out? UGA didn't accept any transfers in? The rules are the same for everyone, no?

As for the money, all of that remains true if the player sits a year. So should schools have been buying contracts before? Should the NFL have to compensate for guys who don't play 4 years? Also, the schools are paying for tuition, room and board while the kids are playing for their teams. They getting what they pay for. (The coaching and tutoring is paid for whether the kid stays there or not. It's not like they're paid based on how many kids are on the roster.)

I think some of y'all put the cart before the horse when it comes to not liking this and actually having reasons to not like it. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

It seems like everybody’s mindset is “the NCAA is stupid and the players are oppressed, so I’ll allow CFB get completely tarnished by this free agency rule. I don’t get that at all. I can’t imagjne having to constantly recruit your own players. I cant imagine rewarding players that don’t want to compete on your team with immediate eligibility elsewhere. Deshaun Davis strongly considered leaving. Have to wonder if he would’ve left if he knew free agency was in already full bloom. 

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So OSU didn't have any of their own guys transfer out? UGA didn't accept any transfers in? The rules are the same for everyone, no?

As for the money, all of that remains true if the player sits a year. So should schools have been buying contracts before? Should the NFL have to compensate for guys who don't play 4 years? Also, the schools are paying for tuition, room and board while the kids are playing for their teams. They getting what they pay for. (The coaching and tutoring is paid for whether the kid stays there or not. It's not like they're paid based on how many kids are on the roster.)

I think some of y'all put the cart before the horse when it comes to not liking this and actually having reasons to not like it. 

I can see both sides.  I just think there needs to be more structure.  I think there needs to be a deadline.  I am not for kids transferring in the middle of the season.  It is a distraction, and since there are no rules barring kids from going to someone you play on your schedule, that is a major issue.  Because if a kid transfers out to a rival, the original school has to scrap every play and play-call because that transfer could potentially be telling him new team all of the calls.  That takes months to fix, and you only have a week or two to do it.  I would say a transfer has until April 30th to decide.  After that you are locked in until the day after the National Championship.

Another thing, is it lets coaches of rival teams try to poach kids.  It is odd that some kids transfer and commit to another school the very next day, just like that 5* WR from Cal transferring to UGA as fast as he did.  Someone talked to him before it was legal.  

Not against kids transferring, but it needs better structure.

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am not for kids transferring in the middle of the season.  It is a distraction, and since there are no rules barring kids from going to someone you play on your schedule, that is a major issue.  Because if a kid transfers out to a rival, the original school has to scrap every play and play-call because that transfer could potentially be telling him new team all of the calls. 

Wait... can they do that? Can they transfer midseason and play the same season? Has that happened yet?

As for poaching kids, I'm fine with it as long as the rules are the same for everyone. Seems unlikely to me that, midseason, a staff would have the bandwidth- midseason, while also trying to win football games on a P5 schedule- to identify kids who can't start at their current program but who are worth pursuing for their own program. Seems extremely unlikely, really. But if the rules are the same for everybody and players- once again, the only group of people in all of this who are actually necessary for a football game to occur- can more easily get out from under idiot coaches who are squandering their talents, cool. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait... can they do that? Can they transfer midseason and play the same season? Has that happened yet?

No they can't, but they are still on the team.  They can practice, etc.  There would be nothing from them sitting down with their new coaches saying "Okay when you hear this call it is a speed sweep to the right."

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No they can't, but they are still on the team.  They can practice, etc.  There would be nothing from them sitting down with their new coaches saying "Okay when you hear this call it is a speed sweep to the right."

Interesting. I'll have to think about that. I didn't realize that kids were transferring midseason to teams on their former team's schedule (that they haven't played yet). 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting. I'll have to think about that. I didn't realize that kids were transferring midseason to teams on their former team's schedule (that they haven't played yet). 

I don't know if anyone has, although it wouldn't suprise me.  But with the new rule change where you can no longer bar kids from certain teams, the window is open.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

As for poaching kids, I'm fine with it as long as the rules are the same for everyone. Seems unlikely to me that, midseason, a staff would have the bandwidth- midseason, while also trying to win football games on a P5 schedule- to identify kids who can't start at their current program but who are worth pursuing for their own program. Seems extremely unlikely, really. But if the rules are the same for everybody and players- once again, the only group of people in all of this who are actually necessary for a football game to occur- can more easily get out from under idiot coaches who are squandering their talents, cool. 

They are already doing this. It's called recruiting. Open transfer simply means the field has become a little larger.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They are already doing this. It's called recruiting. Open transfer simply means the field has become a little larger.

A little larger? Adding the benches of every team in CFB- and then trying to analyze why these players are on the bench- makes it more than a little larger. 

Now, are some teams keeping an eye on guys that they recruited out of high school just in case? Probably. They were doing that anyways. See: Cory Grant and Tray Matthews.

If a team can gain a competitive advantage in, say, October over a team that they play in November by stealing a player, then that would need to be addressed. Still seems extremely unlikely to me, but if it can happen I suppose it will eventually.

I've yet to see another valid argument. So much butthurt, and for no reason. Can't imagine what's so offensive about kids doing what's best for their futures. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can't imagine what's so offensive about kids doing what's best for their futures. 

Then expand your imagination. There are more issues involved than a kid wanting to change schools because Coach said mean things. The kid can still transfer, he simply has to wait out a transfer year. If the move makes life soooo much better for him an extra year of college should be a small price to pay.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There are more issues involved than a kid wanting to change schools because Coach said mean things.

Well, yes, exactly. How you folks arrived at this assumption for every single player is beyond me. You'd look a lot smarter (and like much less of a jerk)  if you just acknowledged that you have no clue what you're talking about. 

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If the move makes life soooo much better for him an extra year of college should be a small price to pay.

My God, you are out of touch with reality. 

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They learn that from the coaches. 

Next?

Lmao nobody had a comeback for this post because they knew it was true. Never understood why people get so mad at players for transferring but when a coach leaves then people seem to ignore that and not get as mad.... I wonder why :-\ 

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Any chance we go after Alabama native, RB Tae Provens from LSU?

I doubt it as RB is not a big need.  Now if he had been an OT that would have been different.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I doubt it as RB is not a big need.  Now if he had been an OT that would have been different.

No need to fret. I've been assured that we have enough walk-ons and long snappers to fill in.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No need to fret. I've been assured that we have enough walk-ons and long snappers to fill in.

I can't imagine who told you that. I said we have enough scholarship players to handle it and we do. Maybe we'll add a transfer or maybe not, depending who might become available but it's not a critical need.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Especially since that one walk-on went from not being countable to SEC quality the second he was given a scholarship! 

Archived