qb's - who will start in 2019?

gr82b4au

14 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It’s obvious who you are talking about, but I think you are making too much of an inferential leap. Some of the plays that look like zone read or inverted veer are called handoffs or called QB keeps. I saw an interview with someone on our team back in like 2013 (can’t remember which player) where he said that the majority of the zone read looking run plays were not real reads and that the person who ended up with the ball was determined presnap. It could be that he’s terrible at the zone read, or it could be that the coaches were dictating designed handoffs that weren’t well blocked.

The play that resulted in a safety Gus said that Malik was just being greedy after the game. You could have clearly seen him frustrated at Malik...

I think Malik has more freedom to pull or give than we all think. Or at least I hope this is tbe case...The overall advantages of the ZR concept is negated if the play is already predetermined. Essentially taking away tbe read from the zone read.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2019 at 2:31 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

My predicted progression of QB-centric events:

• Gatewood named the starter late in fall camp.
  • Willis transfers.
  • Coaches firmly plan to red shirt Nix.
  • Cord named 2rd string QB, but knows he's only providing red shirt protection for Nix.
  • Cord transfers.
  • Nix becomes 2nd string QB behind Gatewood, quite possibly losing red shirt in the process.
  • Who knows what will happen after that?

Bo Nix declares for the NFL after junior year!!!!

This will go on until spring or maybe fall. Who knows what will happen. My guess is Gatewood will either win the job in the spring or fall with Bo having a redshirt season in 2019. Willis will transfer & Cord will be a credible backup who will get some PT next year on the field.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

The play that resulted in a safety Gus said that Malik was just being greedy after the game. You could have clearly seen him frustrated at Malik...

I think Malik has more freedom to pull or give than we all think. Or at least I hope this is tbe case...The overall advantages of the ZR concept is negated if the play is already predetermined. Essentially taking away tbe read from the zone read.

I don’t doubt given good film study of a defense’s tendencies that a Zone Read could be “called” instead of optioned. I also can see early in a game running the ZR Option with a predetermined give to see exactly what the defense is doing. But both of these open themselves up for a negative play if the defense does not do what is expected.

It is a risk with no more upside than running an option, but a bigger downside. I have to ask “why”?

The more likely approach is to run a true Inside Zone play with the RB give but not leaving the backside edge defender unblocked, or a Split Zone play where the backside OT releases inside but a play side offensive player pulls to block the backside edge defender.

Similarly, a designed QB pull with the H-Back as a lead blocker allows the H-Back to block the backside edge defender if he was playing the QB.

Going with Joey or Bo on prediction.

Oh, what a wonderful problem to have!  What some teams wouldn't give to have our potential. At least it won't be 

bucket.jpeg

22 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Can yall imagine being a highly-touted, 18-year-old, true freshman QB prospect in the SEC?  Being talked about as a possible first-year starter?  Playing LSU, UGA, and UA every year?  I would fold under that pressure, even before spring practice began.

It's something, isn't it? I say all the time that I'm surprised at how many of these guys manage to remain semi-normal human beings. 

It's like kids who grow up in show business. How any of them come out the other side okay is beyond me. 

23 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Can yall imagine being a highly-touted, 18-year-old, true freshman QB prospect in the SEC?  Being talked about as a possible first-year starter?  Playing LSU, UGA, and UA every year?  I would fold under that pressure, even before spring practice began.

Honestly from young teenage ages some of these kids grow with this hype and talent to the point that it is relatively normal and expected from them to get the media attention, especially with them growing up in this age of social media. I was watching Netflix series with Tate and Jake Fromm, they were naturals in front of the camera . Tate loves the idea of playing in front of 20K people and even welcomes the idea of going to Texas to get Boo’d after he decommitted. They seem to want the glory. No doubt there is pressure but from what I seen they almost welcome this type of circumstances. Also, Tate was talking to another kid about his offers like it was nothing LOL. The two big ones he somewhat was wowed from was Bama and tOSU. Even then he was pretty nonchalant about it. 

I think it's safe to say that no other QB besides Willis has ever been evaluated and criticized more as far as being a quarterback based on zone reads.....

Listen and I’ll say this slowly. Those who keep harping on Cord not getting much attention out of high school just don’t follow the facts. Cord got plenty of attention coming out of high school . He was considered a high baseball draft and most likely to receive a baseball offer, which he did. When folks like Cord come out with a high number on the baseball draft schools are reluctant to recruit them for football. Think to yourself coming out of High school, do I take free education or a couple of million cash and free education when ever I decide to go?  Geez this isn’t rocket science.

By the way I think Bo is just as mature and ready as Trevor was this year. Like I already said I think his capability is just as good, different but still overall as good. Look back at their 7 on 7 competition and the Elite 11 and All American games and Bo did just as well. Remember Bo comes from a football heritage. He has been preparing for this moment all his life. The moment won’t be to big. And just like Trevor he won’t push to be the guy he is willing to work and earn it. Just my two cents.

I predict that we're going to dust off the 2016 Clemson game plan. Get to ready to see all 3 QB's take snaps against Oregon. Whoever plays the best will the start the 2nd game. We may not settle on a starter until the 4th game at Texas A&M. By that time Malik Willis will probably announce he's transferring since he'll be able to keep his eligibility. I really think it's going to be between Gatewood and Nix next season. Hopefully it works out but I'm not as confident as some on here predicting us to challenge for the West.

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think it's safe to say that no other QB besides Willis has ever been evaluated and criticized more as far as being a quarterback based on zone reads.....

I don't truly think he'll be a starter here unfortunately, but I hope he does a DLo Russell and goes somewhere else and balls. Id love to see someone as enjoyable as him succeed 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't truly think he'll be a starter here unfortunately, but I hope he does a DLo Russell and goes somewhere else and balls. Id love to see someone as enjoyable as him succeed 

?

7 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I predict that we're going to dust off the 2016 Clemson game plan. Get to ready to see all 3 QB's take snaps against Oregon. Whoever plays the best will the start the 2nd game. We may not settle on a starter until the 4th game at Texas A&M. By that time Malik Willis will probably announce he's transferring since he'll be able to keep his eligibility. I really think it's going to be between Gatewood and Nix next season. Hopefully it works out but I'm not as confident as some on here predicting us to challenge for the West.

Quick way to lose a winnable game and start the hot seat debate early again.

23 hours ago, cole256 said:

JF3 gave it a good run a couple years ago

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Quick way to lose a winnable game and start the hot seat debate early again.

Yeah that would definitely be the case. I actually think our offense will likely be better in 2019 but it may not end up translating into a much better record than last season. I just see our schedule being too tough to expect us to challenge for the West. I see us going 8-4.

The way our roster is set up, we're going to lose a lot of lineman, plus a majority of our starting secondary after 2019.  I hate to be a downer but when you look at our roster and the experience we'll have going forward, I see 2021 will likely be our next chance to actually challenge for the West. 

2019 Seniors

O-line:
Tega
Harrell
Kim
Horton
Driscoll
Sharp

D-line:
Davidson
Brown

DB:
Davis
Thomas
Dinson

Other:
Kam Martin
Will Hastings
Sal Canella

2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yeah that would definitely be the case. I actually think our offense will likely be better in 2019 but it may not end up translating into a much better record than last season. I just see our schedule being too tough to expect us to challenge for the West. I see us going 8-4.

The way our roster is set up, we're going to lose a lot of lineman, plus a majority of our starting secondary after 2019.  I hate to be a downer but when you look at our roster and the experience we'll have going forward, I see 2021 will likely be our next chance to actually challenge for the West. 

2019 Seniors

O-line:
Tega
Harrell
Kim
Horton
Driscoll
Sharp

D-line:
Davidson
Brown

DB:
Davis
Thomas
Dinson

Other:
Kam Martin
Will Hastings
Sal Canella

When you add the juniors that may actually leave early also, it gets even uglier.

18 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

2019 Seniors

O-line:
Tega
Harrell
Kim
Horton
Driscoll
Sharp

D-line:
Davidson
Brown

DB:
Davis
Thomas
Dinson

Other:
Kam Martin
Will Hastings
Sal Canella

I believe we’ll be okay at dB positions for a couple years easy, and maybe even more. We recruiting well there and have solid coaching!

21 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way I think Bo is just as mature and ready as Trevor was this year. Like I already said I think his capability is just as good, different but still overall as good. Look back at their 7 on 7 competition and the Elite 11 and All American games and Bo did just as well. Remember Bo comes from a football heritage. He has been preparing for this moment all his life. The moment won’t be to big. And just like Trevor he won’t push to be the guy he is willing to work and earn it. Just my two cents.

Not even close

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Not even close

Yeah that Trevor Lawrence is a once in a generation type player! I don’t say that hardly ever, well once in a generation I guess.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I agree with you. I think he has been completely over analyzed by all the armchair QBs on the board. He is a gifted athlete that under the right coaching could possibly be the next Nick Marshal. Problem is over the last two years Gus has built his offense for a non running QB and just throws Willis in for a play here or there. I doubt Willis has been given a true chance and to be truthful neither has Joey. Also JS wasn’t spectacular at the ROP either. I will be surprised to see if Patrick will allow Gus to screw with Bo very long before he convinces Bo to transfer .

20 hours ago, toddc said:

Yeah that Trevor Lawrence is a once in a generation type player! I don’t say that hardly ever, well once in a generation I guess.

Trevor is the new normal. You will see more and more true freshman starting. HS play has greatly improved with their  programs. Most of these top guys are play real competition in 7on 7 and all star games. Not like it was even 10 years ago. Especially not like it was when I came out of high school 50 years ago. We had no programs. No one told us how to eat . We did spring training and fall practice was 2 weeks. Very little off season work maybe a little weights and running in our own. Today these guys work 7/365 . I have two granddaughters now playing ball softball and basketball. They play rec leagues and travel leagues. The go to pitching coaches and batting coaches it’s almost non stop year long. I promise these guys like Bo and Trevor even do more. 

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree with you. I think he has been completely over analyzed by all the armchair QBs on the board. He is a gifted athlete that under the right coaching could possibly be the next Nick Marshal. Problem is over the last two years Gus has built his offense for a non running QB and just throws Willis in for a play here or there. I doubt Willis has been given a true chance and to be truthful neither has Joey. Also JS wasn’t spectacular at the ROP either. I will be surprised to see if Patrick will allow Gus to screw with Bo very long before he convinces Bo to transfer .

I just cant see how guys say a QB never had "it" when he spent two years never being developed as a passer and never ran the gameplan. There's no QB who'd be able to show he's talented in that type of situation. Justin Fields at least was allowed to throw (like thrice) and even he saw the regression that was bound to occur wasting away as a glorified full back 

Archived