Why Bo could be the right QB

WFE12

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lincoln Riley and Gus Malzahn are nowhere near close to each other in terms of coaching QBs. Nick Marshall,albeit a great althete, was not a great QB. Big difference. Both Baker and Kyler will prove to be good QBs at the next level, imo. Can’t wait to see what happens with Jalen.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Lincoln Riley and Gus Malzahn are nowhere near close to each other in terms of coaching QBs. Nick Marshall,albeit a great althete, was not a great QB. Big difference. Both Baker and Kyler will prove to be good QBs at the next level, imo. Can’t wait to see what happens with Jalen.

Baker, yes. Kyler, no. I am still in disbelief he is going the NFL route. Dude is legitimately 5'8. 

On 2/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, DAG said:

On 2/17/2019 at 1:14 AM, AUght2win said:

Baker, yes. Kyler, no. I am still in disbelief he is going the NFL route. Dude is legitimately 5'8. 

I think you're both right. Murray was a legitimately great college QB. If he isn't a great NFL QB, it won't be because he's lacking in skill or mental acuity for the position. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:13 PM, GwillMac6 said:

2009 is the most overrated year in Auburn football history that people keep thinking we were some offensive juggernauts. Chris Todd was awful against sec competition. He stacked up numbers in the non conference. 

In 2009 in Knoxville,  I saw Monte Kiffin call 2 timeouts in the middle of the 2nd quarter because his defense was so gassed against us.  The different rules with the true HUNH was why 2009's offense was so memorable. 

I think Gatewood will be the man this season with Bo in a learning backup role.  I think Dilly is going to do wonders with Gatewood and Bo when his time and number is called on. I see Gatewood as a Nick Fitzgerald type of QB but with a stronger and more accurate arm and more speed. I could be wrong and Gatewood could be a bust. However, I just do not see it being that way and will stick with Joey bringing us joy for 2019.

I like to pull for players like Gatewood and think he can be something special if properly trained in the nuisances of the spread offense. We will have the receiving corps, and running game in 2019 with the likes of Boobie, worm, MAR and Williams and do not forget Kmart. If the OL can be a few shades better than decent, I like our chances on that side of the ball. We have speed to burn with the talents of the likes of Swartz, Stove, worm and others.

I think that Dilly and Caddy might be just enough to make Gus look better than he has in a while. Gus knows he must produce well in 2019 or it might be the end of the line for him. Got to be positive and hope we can win 9 plus games. I hope we go into BR and end that long losing streak to the corndogs. This is one game that I want as bad as the bammer and UGa games.

I do not mind being wrong and accept it when it happens, but being right is the right thing to do with this team that I have hope for in 2019.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:26 PM, DAG said:

Kyler has all the mental tools to be an explosive QB, only thing that can hold him back is the 5'9-5'10 thing (and maybe not being able to see over the OL every single play). But he's a smart runner, similar to Russell. Great arm strength and touch. 

He can be the dual threat version of Brees, really. Hurts can be the physically best QB Riley has produced in spades, but we'll have to see if he can work on getting his touch down consistently. I wish Jalen the best, probably the only Alabama player I can say I love (pause) 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:53 PM, AUght2win said:

Surely Gus has to have that 2009 playbook lyin' around somewhere.

I don’t think we have a Ben Tate on the roster. We have a couple of pretty good rbs, but I don’t see a Ben Tate. It would be interesting to see that 2009 Offense without an NFL caliber rb.

48 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t think we have a Ben Tate on the roster. We have a couple of pretty good rbs, but I don’t see a Ben Tate. It would be interesting to see that 2009 Offense without an NFL caliber rb.

Ben Tate is one of the least appreciated Auburn RBs of all time. I don't know why. People spent way too much time in 2009 wishing Mario Fannin was getting more carries. And then folks crapped on Fannin, too, lol.

Both guys could have had legit NFL careers if not for injuries. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ben Tate is one of the least appreciated Auburn RBs of all time. I don't know why. People spent way too much time in 2009 wishing Mario Fannin was getting more carries. And then folks crapped on Fannin, too, lol.

Both guys could have had legit NFL careers if not for injuries. 

I remember Fannin having pretty significant issues with ball security. I could be thinking of someone else, but for some reason that stands out when I think of him. I agree on Tate. He’s one of my favorite Auburn guys. He was such a workhorse. My favorite rb that has been on the roster in the last 20 years is Bubba Pettway. I love that style of running back. Tate was one of those guys.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I remember Fannin having pretty significant issues with ball security. I could be thinking of someone else, but for some reason that stands out when I think of him. I agree on Tate. He’s one of my favorite Auburn guys. He was such a workhorse. My favorite rb that has been on the roster in the last 20 years is Bubba Pettway. I love that style of running back. Tate was one of those guys.

Fannin did put it on the carpet too much, although I'm not sure that it was as bad as folks said at the time. What's really funny is that there was a play- I can't remember which game and it KILLS me because I can't find video evidence- where I swear he was knocked half unconscious on his feet but he didn't drop the ball. Like, he got popped and just stood there and you could see him wobble a little bit. I think the play might've been blown dead for forward progress or he might've just stepped out of bounds or something. But yeah, he had more drops than a KJ or a Tre Mason ever had. Damned good pass catcher, blocker and teammate, though. That dude was O&B to the core. 

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Kyler has all the mental tools to be an explosive QB, only thing that can hold him back is the 5'9-5'10 thing (and maybe not being able to see over the OL every single play). But he's a smart runner, similar to Russell. Great arm strength and touch. 

He can be the dual threat version of Brees, really. Hurts can be the physically best QB Riley has produced in spades, but we'll have to see if he can work on getting his touch down consistently. I wish Jalen the best, probably the only Alabama player I can say I love (pause) 

Yep. Some of these GMs get so caught up with measurable and excuse talent. I hope Kyler gets the perfect opportunity. Watch him drop and the patriots pick him up lol

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Fannin would have been a huge star, except for fumbling issues right out of the gate, that got worse and worse after shoulder injuries.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think Gatewood will be the man this season with Bo in a learning backup role.  I think Dilly is going to do wonders with Gatewood and Bo when his time and number is called on. I see Gatewood as a Nick Fitzgerald type of QB but with a stronger and more accurate arm and more speed. I could be wrong and Gatewood could be a bust. However, I just do not see it being that way and will stick with Joey bringing us joy for 2019.

I like to pull for players like Gatewood and think he can be something special if properly trained in the nuisances of the spread offense. We will have the receiving corps, and running game in 2019 with the likes of Boobie, worm, MAR and Williams and do not forget Kmart. If the OL can be a few shades better than decent, I like our chances on that side of the ball. We have speed to burn with the talents of the likes of Swartz, Stove, worm and others.

I think that Dilly and Caddy might be just enough to make Gus look better than he has in a while. Gus knows he must produce well in 2019 or it might be the end of the line for him. Got to be positive and hope we can win 9 plus games. I hope we go into BR and end that long losing streak to the corndogs. This is one game that I want as bad as the bammer and UGa games.

I do not mind being wrong and accept it when it happens, but being right is the right thing to do with this team that I have hope for in 2019.

Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to be a ass but what makes you think this?

18 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to be a ass but what makes you think this?

Doc, bless his heart is ever the optimist. :cool:

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

‘Tis the time for the optimists to walk in their season. The ridged rod of reality happens later, this is why we need posters like WDE, to keep us grounded.

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I know you are not, and know you are pretty good with talent evaluation as you have shown in the past.  I guess it is a more of a hunch than anything else of which I am being honest. I want both of these QBs to battle it out with the best man winning.  I know some do not think Gatewood is the future answer at QB and this may very well be the case. I am pulling for him to come on strong this spring and for the lights to come on. If this does not happen then what will be will be.

I am anxious to see what Bo will do this spring and feel he is going to be special before his days end at Auburn.  Just the Doc's take on things this snowy morning in the mountains!

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

I do like for optimism to rule the day when it gets its chances!  WDE!

Image result for optimistic corgi

On 2/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, AUght2win said:

Again, it's all about context. 2009 was not a good team. It was not a good roster. But Gus built a good offense that had a potent passing attack to compliment 1300 yards from Ben Tate. If he can do that with THAT level of talent, it's reasonable to think he SHOULD be able to do a lot more with the likes of Bo Nix, Schwartz, Seth Williams, and others. Alas, that's what's so frustrating about it all. Gus SHOULD have been able to air it out last year but he chose not to. He's lost the ability to be an offense architect. 

You make that statement as if Gus Malzahn the OC and Gus Malzahn the HC were the same person... 

Gus Malzahn the HC lost his juju November 8, 2014 at home against Texas A&M and hasn't been nearly the same as Gus Malzahn the OC since...

I think we all know Gus is betting on Gus for 2019. I am curious how it is all going to play out. My hope is that we win a lot of games and make a lot of folks happy.  I think we all know that 8 wins is the bare bones minimum wins he needs to remain and this is no guarantee. The players on this team deserve a winning season and one that we all hope will be better than 8 games. I am an optimist with enough reality to keep me grounded on most days.

I am not one of these that says, yes let's go 7-6 or worse just to get rid of Gus. Yes, we could go 7-6 and this could likely end the Gus Malzahn era. This team has the talent to win more than 8 games and beyond and I do not think many of you will argue this point especially on the defense. I think the defense is good enough to carry us past a point where the offense may come up short in some games. 

There are some real positives on the offensive side of the ball such as the entire O-line coming back. Yes, they struggled most of the season, but seemed to start making progress that last few games especially Purdue.

We should be stout in the running game with Boobie, worm, Kmart, DJ & MAR. Our receiving corps is good with lots of speed and good hands. Jay-Jay has a chance to be a solid replacement for Cox. Joiner could come into his own in this position or even as a true RB. The QB situation is a cause for concern to some degree, but Gatewood and Bo have real potential deserve a shot to see what they can do. Spring should give us a better idea of the QB situation.

I am curious to see if either or both or our TEs in the 2019 class will see a lot of playing time. For the first time I can remember in a while, we have upgraded the TE position considerable with Fromm & Deal.

Getting sleepy and ready for the afternoon nap folks. Until next time WDE!  

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Yep. Some of these GMs get so caught up with measurable and excuse talent. I hope Kyler gets the perfect opportunity. Watch him drop and the patriots pick him up lol

A franchise who consistently prioritizes the OL like them would be perfect for him 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What's really funny is that there was a play- I can't remember which game and it KILLS me because I can't find video evidence- where I swear he was knocked half unconscious on his feet but he didn't drop the ball. Like, he got popped and just stood there and you could see him wobble a little bit. I think the play might've been blown dead for forward progress or he might've just stepped out of bounds or something. 

It was the 2009 Iron Bowl

Hope Doc is right but I haven't seen anything in College or High School that tells me Joey has a more accurate arm than Fitzgerald.  I don't pull for any player over another just hope player or players that give AU the best chance at winning become the starters. Our coaches have far more knowledge about this than any of us.  Based on what I know or see I sometimes disagree but I trust our staff who see the whole picture.

Archived