Danjel Purifoy (Threads Merged)

Dual-Threat Rigby

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm sure he didn't, but let's not insult a kid on the team. Evaluate his play and conditioning, sure, but insults aren't needed. If he were asked to gain weight, I'm sure it would have been similar to the weight that Okeke and Harper have both added over the years, let's leave it at that. 

Sorry,  I meant gain weight and lose foot speed.😎

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Do you really think CBP told him to go get fat and slow?  I can't imagine any coach promoting that.  I would think anyone told to gain weight would believe it meant muscle weight. Suppose he misunderstood?

Hit the weight room and get ready for next season.

I think he was told to gain weight and I think a bunch of you take things and run with it but don't really know. I think if he was lazy and just sitting around he wouldn't have lost so much weight so quick. I don't think you all understand that everybody body isn't the same and some people frames may not hold extra weight well. 

I think the slow stuff was something made up but you guys hear it from the right person and run with it.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think he was told to gain weight and I think a bunch of you take things and run with it but don't really know. I think if he was lazy and just sitting around he wouldn't have lost so much weight so quick. I don't think you all understand that everybody body isn't the same and some people frames may not hold extra weight well. 

I think the slow stuff was something made up but you guys hear it from the right person and run with it.

Some solid overall points but there might be more polite ways of saying it. It would probably come off better & less abbrasive if there wasn't so many "you's" in there. Maybe use "people" or "some" instead to lessen the chance of people feeling attacked or antagonized. Just a friendly tip.

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Some solid overall points but there might be more polite ways of saying it. It would probably come off better & less abbrasive if there wasn't so many "you's" in there. Maybe use "people" or "some" instead to lessen the chance of people feeling attacked or antagonized. Just a friendly tip.

I'll try it out!

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Are you saying that he has the same straight line speed, lateral quickness, and general explosiveness as he had as a freshman? There's a pretty stark contrast in how he moves between his freshman highlights to now

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Are you saying that he has the same straight line speed, lateral quickness, and general explosiveness as he had as a freshman? There's a pretty stark contrast in how he moves between his freshman highlights to now

No. But I am saying he wasn't as slow and fat, lazy and all of that as made out. The people that's all on him about defense are the same people that said Brown is such a great defender....to me seems like going with a narrative that was heard from somebody else. When he was told to lose weight to play another position he didn't just do it, he did it super quick.....that doesn't speak to being lazy. I'm telling you video games has some people messed up....they really think if this guy is taller, bigger, whatever it has to equal slower. I've seen it posted on here someone saying just because a guy plays 3 he probably can't guard a 2.....that's insane.

But anyway to me it looks like he simply doesn't have the frame to carry and add good weight. I remember both LeBron and Kobe saying they got too big in certain years of their career. It's really not a big deal. I've seen DP make a couple of plays that's clear as day he's still a freak athlete. And that's with the weight. I'm sure he's not as fast as he was his freshman year. But quiet as kept Harper is slower this year himself.

And before somebody puts words in my mouth him being slower than he was isn't me saying he's slow. I'm comparing him to himself

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No. But I am saying he wasn't as slow and fat, lazy and all of that as made out. The people that's all on him about defense are the same people that said Brown is such a great defender....to me seems like going with a narrative that was heard from somebody else. When he was told to lose weight to play another position he didn't just do it, he did it super quick.....that doesn't speak to being lazy. I'm telling you video games has some people messed up....they really think if this guy is taller, bigger, whatever it has to equal slower. I've seen it posted on here someone saying just because a guy plays 3 he probably can't guard a 2.....that's insane.

But anyway to me it looks like he simply doesn't have the frame to carry and add good weight. I remember both LeBron and Kobe saying they got too big in certain years of their career. It's really not a big deal. I've seen DP make a couple of plays that's clear as day he's still a freak athlete. And that's with the weight. I'm sure he's not as fast as he was his freshman year. But quiet as kept Harper is slower this year himself.

And before somebody puts words in my mouth him being slower than he was isn't me saying he's slow. I'm comparing him to himself

I dunno about the hyperbole some post on here with but I think we can all agree he's not moving laterally or even have the same ball control as he did as a frosh. That's really the only thing that matters to me. If you take issue with people calling him lazy that's fair. He's just not as quick or fast as he was before. A ton of time away from high level competition, especially during crucial developmental years, will do that to ya. 

I dunno about Harper being a step slower I haven't really felt that way personally he's still leaving everybody in the dust when he turns the jets on so I haven't been able to tell. You mean slower going coast to coast? In the halfcourt? In general? 

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I dunno about the hyperbole some post on here with but I think we can all agree he's not moving laterally or even have the same ball control as he did as a frosh. That's really the only thing that matters to me. If you take issue with people calling him lazy that's fair. He's just not as quick or fast as he was before. A ton of time away from high level competition, especially during crucial developmental years, will do that to ya. 

I dunno about Harper being a step slower I haven't really felt that way personally he's still leaving everybody in the dust when he turns the jets on so I haven't been able to tell. You mean slower going coast to coast? In the halfcourt? In general? 

I mean in general, it was a point last year where I didn't think anybody could stay in front of him in our league, this year he gets cut off alot more than last.

As far as DP there aren't going to be many that can add 20-25 pounds and still move the same laterally. When you ask someone to gain weight like that you're going to lose something as well generally. There's nothing that will impact your quickness as much as gaining weight especially if you don't have the frame for it. Like I said Kobe and LeBron has had years where they added weight and said they lost explosiveness and they are two of the most athletic players to play the game

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I mean in general, it was a point last year where I didn't think anybody could stay in front of him in our league, this year he gets cut off alot more than last.

As far as DP there aren't going to be many that can add 20-25 pounds and still move the same laterally. When you ask someone to gain weight like that you're going to lose something as well generally. There's nothing that will impact your quickness as much as gaining weight especially if you don't have the frame for it. Like I said Kobe and LeBron has had years where they added weight and said they lost explosiveness and they are two of the most athletic players to play the game

Of course nobody can keep their same quickness if they add 20-25 lbs. Are we sure he was told to put on weight initially? That's the missing link between all the Danjel talk. All we have seen is mention of him being told to lose weight by the staff. Was he instructed to put that additional 20 lbs to begin with?

Whatever the reasons are ... purifoy isn’t playing to his supposed potential.  He has been playing since uab - there are no more excuses.  Weight, position, time away from game ... none of that FULLY explains him being the 9th most effective scholarship player on the team.  Every other player on this team has had more significant contributions since the uab game.  It is now on him.  And IMO is probably too late to make much of an impact this season.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Of course nobody can keep their same quickness if they add 20-25 lbs. Are we sure he was told to put on weight initially? That's the missing link between all the Danjel talk. All we have seen is mention of him being told to lose weight by the staff. Was he instructed to put that additional 20 lbs to begin with?

He posted that he was and he posted that they told him to lose weight to play 3. When did we see mention of him being told to lose weight besides him saying it?

And you're saying of course but you're talking about him not being as quick as he was when he was a freshman....that's what I'm saying of course he's not when they tell you to gain weight to play 4.  He's never played that position, you have to be bigger and more physical

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

Whatever the reasons are ... purifoy isn’t playing to his supposed potential.  He has been playing since uab - there are no more excuses.  Weight, position, time away from game ... none of that FULLY explains him being the 9th most effective scholarship player on the team.  Every other player on this team has had more significant contributions since the uab game.  It is now on him.  And IMO is probably too late to make much of an impact this season.

There's a pretty strong correlation with how often you play and how much you contribute on the floor, the 9th most effective quote was a great dramatic effect. 

But I personally don't care really but if you're going to be hard on the players do that to all the players.  If you have a problem with his defense you have a lot of problems to talk about, same goes for offense as well. It's silly to be going at him because he was better than other people. Typical Auburn though.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There's a pretty strong correlation with how often you play and how much you contribute on the floor, the 9th most effective quote was a great dramatic effect. 

But I personally don't care really but if you're going to be hard on the players do that to all the players.  If you have a problem with his defense you have a lot of problems to talk about, same goes for offense as well. It's silly to be going at him because he was better than other people. Typical Auburn though.

what's good for the goose....

4 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

what's good for the goose....

Exactly. If there's no excuse for him and he hardly plays then there's absolutely no excuses for the starters. If there's a feeling as if the team has under performed this year (I don't know as I've seen different opinions for different people) then there should be some things that the guys that play the most haven't done quite as well. 

Of course imo

Exactly. If there's no excuse for him and he hardly plays then there's absolutely no excuses for the starters. If there's a feeling as if the team has under performed this year (I don't know as I've seen different opinions for different people) then there should be some things that the guys that play the most haven't done quite as well. 

Of course imo

Personally, I think this team is about what I expected overall, maybe a game under. In any event this thread is about DP. Whether he needs to be our go to guy or not, and evaluating his play. I understand wanting to defend him if you feel the coaching staff has put him in a bad spot, but that doesn't change his play. How other players perform doesn't change his play. 

Right now, and for the rest of this season, he isn't going to be a go to guy. He is a limited role player at the moment. I'm not debating why or the reasons for it, just observing what he is contributing right now. I'd like to see the plays you're talking about seeing him demonstrate being a freak athlete recently, I must have missed those plays. 

Regardless, he seems to have accepted his current role and does appear to be supporting his teammates, and I hope he finds his former self, because we certainly could use him. 

1 minute ago, JwgreDeux said:

Personally, I think this team is about what I expected overall, maybe a game under. In any event this thread is about DP. Whether he needs to be our go to guy or not, and evaluating his play. I understand wanting to defend him if you feel the coaching staff has put him in a bad spot, but that doesn't change his play. How other players perform doesn't change his play. 

Right now, and for the rest of this season, he isn't going to be a go to guy. He is a limited role player at the moment. I'm not debating why or the reasons for it, just observing what he is contributing right now. I'd like to see the plays you're talking about seeing him demonstrate being a freak athlete recently, I must have missed those plays. 

Regardless, he seems to have accepted his current role and does appear to be supporting his teammates, and I hope he finds his former self, because we certainly could use him. 

I actually lost the point of this thread lol. Chumma should've, and should be the go to guy of this team. The team performed the way I expected as well, of course I didn't say anybody would be injured but the ups and downs was just as I said. I thought we'd have momentum now though. I figured the losses but I thought they would be more early than late. There's only so much consistency a team that shoots more jump shots as opposed to lay ups is going to have.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I actually lost the point of this thread lol. Chumma should've, and should be the go to guy of this team. The team performed the way I expected as well, of course I didn't say anybody would be injured but the ups and downs was just as I said. I thought we'd have momentum now though. I figured the losses but I thought they would be more early than late. There's only so much consistency a team that shoots more jump shots as opposed to lay ups is going to have.

I do think we are finding a bit of momentum. Still yet to put it all together, but I think the current group rotating has settled down. Agree on Okeke needing more touches, he still needs to be a bit more decisive in the high post decision making. If we can get him, Harper and Brown all playing well at the same time, we can make some noise in the post season. 

18 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I do think we are finding a bit of momentum. Still yet to put it all together, but I think the current group rotating has settled down. Agree on Okeke needing more touches, he still needs to be a bit more decisive in the high post decision making. If we can get him, Harper and Brown all playing well at the same time, we can make some noise in the post season. 

Only way Brown and Harper will see quality shots in the tournament is thru chumma. His passing ability is very under rated. I get frustrated because he doesn't look to score enough but you could play him at the high post and the offense would hardly be able to be stopped.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Only way Brown and Harper will see quality shots in the tournament is thru chumma. His passing ability is very under rated. I get frustrated because he doesn't look to score enough but you could play him at the high post and the offense would hardly be able to be stopped.

I don't know about the only way, but getting him more touches will certainly help this team. We have to diversify our half court beyond the high pick and roll. 

15 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I don't know about the only way, but getting him more touches will certainly help this team. We have to diversify our half court beyond the high pick and roll. 

If we don't use him to facilitate wait and watch what happens as soon as we play a team that's half way talented in the NCAA. There's no other way, we're severely limited by having only one guard that can run an offense or break down his man consistently

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

He posted that he was and he posted that they told him to lose weight to play 3. When did we see mention of him being told to lose weight besides him saying it?

And you're saying of course but you're talking about him not being as quick as he was when he was a freshman....that's what I'm saying of course he's not when they tell you to gain weight to play 4.  He's never played that position, you have to be bigger and more physical

I'm not sure I follow. As far as I know there is nothing out there saying that he was instructed to gain weight. We know he was instructed to lose it, as he posted a video of himself training and saying that he's going to be playing 3 so he needs to lose weight. Did I miss where it was out there that his weight gain was directed by the staff? Genuine question

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm not sure I follow. As far as I know there is nothing out there saying that he was instructed to gain weight. We know he was instructed to lose it, as he posted a video of himself training and saying that he's going to be playing 3 so he needs to lose weight. Did I miss where it was out there that his weight gain was directed by the staff? Genuine question

I said he wrote it on Twitter and said so, then I asked how did we know about him dropping weight and as you just stated that came from him as well. Nobody talked about it on here that I saw. When I went to his Twitter to view the other stuff he posted I decided to go through it a bit and then I saw it then I came on here and told everybody about what he posted as far as gaining and losing weight. My point was where people were talking about how he looked as far as being big nobody seemed to pay attention to the why. People looked at his Twitter when he wrote the unhappy stuff

But even without that it just seem like common sense to me that if he lost 12 pounds in about two weeks as soon as they told him to that is evidence enough to figure that he was told to gain weight if he dropped it so quickly. That would rule out he is just big and have problems getting weight off

I said he wrote it on Twitter and said so, then I asked how did we know about him dropping weight and as you just stated that came from him as well. Nobody talked about it on here that I saw. When I went to his Twitter to view the other stuff he posted I decided to go through it a bit and then I saw it then I came on here and told everybody about what he posted as far as gaining and losing weight. My point was where people were talking about how he looked as far as being big nobody seemed to pay attention to the why. People looked at his Twitter when he wrote the unhappy stuff

But even without that it just seem like common sense to me that if he lost 12 pounds in about two weeks as soon as they told him to that is evidence enough to figure that he was told to gain weight if he dropped it so quickly. That would rule out he is just big and have problems getting weight off

To be honest I only remember the part where he said the coaches told him to lose weight. I remember that tweet about him saying he's losing weight and a video of him doing something in the gym. Can you link the part where he was told to put weight on? Not doubting you just curious since I missed it. And I'll damn sure admit I don't know enough about body fat and whatnot to know anything about how the speed in which one gains/loses weight has any correlation to the type of weight that was put on -- in terms of being good or bad weight. 

Really my question on all of this just lies in what the truth was behind him gaining the weight in the first place. Now, the insider that E references "Hooks" was the first person I had seen on the internet reference Danjel being out of shape or overweight and winded which was after the exhibition game. I just haven't seen it mentioned on any board, including from the insider, that he was instructed to gain weight so that's why I'm wondering where you are saying he was told to.

40 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To be honest I only remember the part where he said the coaches told him to lose weight. I remember that tweet about him saying he's losing weight and a video of him doing something in the gym. Can you link the part where he was told to put weight on? Not doubting you just curious since I missed it. And I'll damn sure admit I don't know enough about body fat and whatnot to know anything about how the speed in which one gains/loses weight has any correlation to the type of weight that was put on -- in terms of being good or bad weight. 

Really my question on all of this just lies in what the truth was behind him gaining the weight in the first place. Now, the insider that E references "Hooks" was the first person I had seen on the internet reference Danjel being out of shape or overweight and winded which was after the exhibition game. I just haven't seen it mentioned on any board, including from the insider, that he was instructed to gain weight so that's why I'm wondering where you are saying he was told to.

I'm not that CPU savy I have trouble posting gifs or whatnot and I don't have a Twitter but I imagine you could just go to his Twitter. I never saw a tweet posted on here. I literally went to his Twitter and then came back here and wrote what I saw. Where did you see that posted? Maybe it's there as well

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

To be honest I only remember the part where he said the coaches told him to lose weight.

Me too.

Archived