‘I’m not for impeachment,’ Pelosi says, potentially roiling fellow Democrats

DKW 86

‘I’m not for impeachment,’ Pelosi says, potentially roiling fellow Democrats

The apparent contradiction shows that Pelosi is well aware of the political risks of impeachment and how pursuit of the president could energize Republicans voters ahead of the 2020 election. Still, her comments will almost certainly infuriate the far-left wing of the party, which has been clamoring to begin impeachment proceedings over controversies ensnaring the Trump administration.

Most House Democrats agree that they should give the chairmen of investigative committees the space to conduct their probes before engaging in serious impeachment discussions. But Pelosi’s suggestion that she doesn’t support those moves at all because “he’s just not worth it” won’t sit well with some in her caucus.

Pelosi’s comments come one week after the House Judiciary Committee, the panel with jurisdiction over impeachment proceedings, issued document requests to more than 80 people affiliated with Trump’s administration, campaign and businesses. Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the committee, called the requests the first step in a larger probe into obstruction of justice and abuses of power by the president. Meanwhile, other committees in the House are beginning probes of campaign-time contributions that Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen made to silence women alleging affairs with the president as well as Trump’s plans to build a tower in Moscow and how he managed his private company.

Nancy Pelosi just admitted that Democrats have nothing on Trump

The speaker is surely up to speed on what evidence Democrats actually have against Trump and has a fair sense of what Special Counsel Bob Mueller’s report will say. And she recognizes that it’s nothing that will persuade anyone who hasn’t wanted Trump ousted since Election Day 2016.

Which means that moving to impeach him would be not just “divisive to the country,” as she says, but also bad for Democrats — since it would show them as unable to resist the most demented demands of their base.

This, when last week’s pathetic failure to confront Rep. Ilhan Omar’s anti-Semitism already exposed them as in thrall to extremists.

Now, will Pelosi call off the dogs? Committee Chairmen Jerry Nadler and Adam Schiff will keep on subpoenaing away, and grandstanding for the cameras — in hopes of maybe somehow, someday, somewhere finding some genuine dirt, while at least harassing the president, his family and associates and feeding an endless string of breathless this time, Trump is going down reports.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Had to give you a thumbs up because itchy gave you a thumbs down. But they have nothing on Trump or it would have been out long ago. That sewer we call DC is not going to keep it quite if they had any thing on Trump and Pelosi knows it. 

Does Putin have dirt on Pelosi?......By the way, this guy has a Pulitzer

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/glenn-greenwald-after-speaker-rejects-impeachment-does-putin-have-dirt-on-pelosi

This is my favorite part....some on this board should be leading the march.......

"Perhaps Democratic politicians & their media allies have been knowingly feeding the party base & cable viewers unadulterated, deranged, unhinged buillshit that they now can't carry through on with the power in their hands because it was all self-serving, manipulative dreck?" he said. "Anyone who has ever believed Trump is controlled & blackmailed by Putin to the point that Putin makes Trump treasonously sacrifice America's interests for Russia's - and there are a lot of you - should be marching in fury in the streets over Pelosi's refusal to impeach Trump."

JMO but the comment shows the NP is smarter than the majority of her fellow dem congress members......never thought I would be able to say that.  

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the comment shows the NP is smarter than the majority of her fellow dem congress members......never thought I would be able to say that.  

She's more politically savvy, which is why she's (still) in that seat IMO. And which is why this isn't necessarily the slam dunk "nothing to see here" situation that some are hoping it is. 

15 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

aaannnddd...Crickets...

Can’t reply to every slanted post. Pelosi made the best strategic move. Slow the roll now, position herself to respond to any serious findings by pointing out she wasn’t just itching to impeach. It may be Mueller, it may be SDNY, it may be EDVA, it may be state of NY, it may be a Congressional committee— So many investigations that might show high crimes and misdemeanors. In the meantime, focus on other aspects of the job.

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

She's more politically savvy, which is why she's (still) in that seat IMO. And which is why this isn't necessarily the slam dunk "nothing to see here" situation that some are hoping it is. 

JMO but this is an example of all politics being "local".

The  reps from the virulent  anti-Trump areas are trying to "represent" their constituents with this kind of talk....and they are not concerned or aware about the national reaction.... whereas NP hasn't gotten where she is by ignoring national trends and expectations.

This says more about the spineless, irresponsible Republicans in the senate than is does about Pelosi.  She's doing the smart thing.  Look what happened with the Clinton impeachment. 

She obviously didn't close the door on impeachment, just holding fire until there's plenty of ammunition.  She has her sights on the 2020 election. She's the leader the Democrats need.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

She obviously didn't close the door on impeachment, just holding fire until there's plenty of ammunition.  She has her sights on the 2020 election. She's the leader the Democrats need.

Could be hoping to have the ammo and move in term 2 after the 2020 election.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Could be hoping to have the ammo and move in term 2 after the 2020 election.

That  would mean she thinks Trump will win in 2020. Hope she is right for once.

45 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That  would mean she thinks Trump will win in 2020. Hope she is right for once.

Sure she is beginning to realize they can not beat Trump at the ballot box. Also disappointed in the Mueller stuff per the OP. Surely they can dig something up for action by 2021. 

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sure she is beginning to realize they can not beat Trump at the ballot box. Also disappointed in the Mueller stuff per the OP. Surely they can dig something up for action by 2021. 

Oh well if the Dems just spend all their time investigating Trump they won't be doing their other crap. I think they will lose the House again in 2020 so Pelosi won't be speaker and  bet she retires soon after. Even my Dem friends are already tired of AOC and the new lefties.

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Can’t reply to every slanted post. Pelosi made the best strategic move. Slow the roll now, position herself to respond to any serious findings by pointing out she wasn’t just itching to impeach. It may be Mueller, it may be SDNY, it may be EDVA, it may be state of NY, it may be a Congressional committee— So many investigations that might show high crimes and misdemeanors. In the meantime, focus on other aspects of the job.

So two plus years of FBI investigation yields nothing on collusion? 

Dont get me wrong, please dont, I have felt certain that DJT is absolutely guilty of money and tax law violations for decades. 100% sure he was upto no good. 

But DiFi, Maxine Waters, Van Jones, et al have been telling anyone that would listen there was nothing there on collusion. Finally we are now hearing that there was indeed nothing there. If they get him on $$ stuff, I am very cool with that. But for 2 plus years we have endured my "howler monkey" brethren on the whackadoodle Left screaming RUSSIANS!!!! Turns out, there was never anything whatsoever to do with Russians and collusion. Something anyone with a brain and two ears would have known two years ago if you actually listened to Dem Leaders. If anything, I find it beyond refreshing that NP has had the spine to actually say it out loud. Kudos on her. 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

This says more about the spineless, irresponsible Republicans in the senate than is does about Pelosi.  She's doing the smart thing.  Look what happened with the Clinton impeachment. 

The one that lost 1000 seats nationwide? I think NP is just being reasonable and America needs reasonableness. She offered the deflecting "if there is something more out there" bromide. If 2 plus years of FBI Inv hasnt turned up anything, with half the country screaming their fool heads off, we all know there is likely nothing of any substance out there. 

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Oh well if the Dems just spend all their time investigating Trump they won't be doing their other crap. I think they will lose the House again in 2020 so Pelosi won't be speaker and  bet she retires soon after. Even my Dem friends are already tired of AOC and the new lefties.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/13/democrats-trump-news-1218779

It’s not all Trump’s fault. Some of the distractions have come from within the Democrats’ own ranks: superstar freshmen like Reps. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez of New York and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and their army of Twitter followers — which lawmakers say is another symptom of the surge in personality-based politics.

“It is absolutely, dramatically different,” said Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, an eight-term Democrat from Missouri.

“Trump has come across in such a way that it has set a flame in the most liberal component of the Democratic Party, which has been previously quiet but still extremely liberal,” Cleaver added. “They have become so offended that it has put pressure on the party’s structure — our infrastructure — that I have not seen.”

“Donald Trump is like the Wizard of Oz. He creates all this imagery — this chaos, this crisis, this confusion,” said Jeffries, the No. 5 Democrat, at his weekly news conference meant to set the Democratic narrative for the week. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

So two plus years of FBI investigation yields nothing on collusion? 

Dont get me wrong, please dont, I have felt certain that DJT is absolutely guilty of money and tax law violations for decades. 100% sure he was upto no good. 

But DiFi, Maxine Waters, Van Jones, et al have been telling anyone that would listen there was nothing there on collusion. Finally we are now hearing that there was indeed nothing there. If they get him on $$ stuff, I am very cool with that. But for 2 plus years we have endured my "howler monkey" brethren on the whackadoodle Left screaming RUSSIANS!!!! Turns out, there was never anything whatsoever to do with Russians and collusion. Something anyone with a brain and two ears would have known two years ago if you actually listened to Dem Leaders. If anything, I find it beyond refreshing that NP has had the spine to actually say it out loud. Kudos on her. 

We’ll see. And they haven’t said what you claim. Again, neither you nor her know what Mueller knows. He may have another Manafort indictment up his sleeve— it would be foolish to reveal it early. But my suspicion is the biggest challenge with a criminal enterprise is where do you start? The guy is corrupt to his core. 

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

*add Manhattan DA to the long and growing list.

26 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We’ll see. And they haven’t said what you claim. Again, neither you nor her know what Mueller knows. He may have another Manafort indictment up his sleeve— it would be foolish to reveal it early. But my suspicion is the biggest challenge with a criminal enterprise is where do you start? The guy is corrupt to his core. 

Do you honestly think that if Mueller had any evidence it would not have leaked already ?

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Turns out, there was never anything whatsoever to do with Russians and collusion

Not with Trump but there damn sure was with crooked Hillary.

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I totally agree on that. DiFi, Waters, Jones said it 2+ years ago. All we had to do was listen. 

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I totally agree on that. DiFi, Waters, Jones said it 2+ years ago. All we had to do was listen. 

They didn’t and if they did before Mueller’s investigation how would that even be relevant today?

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

That's a crazy thing to say, considering the particular results from 2016 and Trump's approval numbers.  He lost the popular vote by about 3 million and only won the electoral vote by a razor thin margin in a few swing states. The electoral vote was decided on only about 100,000 votes.

And he won't be running against Hillary this time around.

Archived