Malzahn reacts to analyst Michael Lombardi

aubiefifty

Gus should have had 1 if not 2 NC's since he arrived as HC (definitely 1 more SECC). He had the talent and the league was ripe, with the exception of the other state school. 

On one hand you have to give him kudos for getting close, on the other, he has failed miserably in preparation or adjustments when he has arrived. It's a conundrum.

He can't seem to bring in that 5* RB, even though his offense depends on the running game.  When he does bring in talented WR's and QB's, he can't figure out how to use them effectively.  He has no clue how to use the TE. 

I personally think he has occasional flashes of brilliance offensively, but overall is just a mediocre coach and recruiter.  He is very frustrating to watch from a fan's perspective. 

Good guy, but will never be more than has been...a 7-8 win coach.  

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ok so now our team and coaches are not manly men? what about all the backlash we took over this kinda crap on the recruiting trail. you guys always miss the point. there is nothing wrong with some criticism but tht when you repeat it over and over and over all year long it is no longer criticism it is plain old hate. some of you guys pulled for auburn to lose. that is fact. you make the bash gus thing personal talking about his hooters getting big and other such remarks. in this thread zeek inferred gus and anal. that is not funny. period. i wish i was one of the "boys" so i could get away with that kind of stuff. there is a lot of class on this thread. that is the kind of crap bama fans do. i apologize for expecting better. and for the record i am not mad tho some are trying to make it personal. and please give me all the negs you guys want. i like them good or bad.

You're the one implying they got their feelings hurt by anonymous posters on some random internet site.  

10 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Gus should have had 1 if not 2 NC's since he arrived as HC (definitely 1 more SECC). He had the talent and the league was ripe, with the exception of the other state school. 

On one hand you have to give him kudos for getting close, on the other, he has failed miserably in preparation or adjustments when he has arrived. It's a conundrum.

He can't seem to bring in that 5* RB, even though his offense depends on the running game.  When he does bring in talented WR's and QB's, he can't figure out how to use them effectively.  He has no clue how to use the TE. 

I personally think he has occasional flashes of brilliance offensively, but overall is just a mediocre coach and recruiter.  He is very frustrating to watch from a fan's perspective. 

Good guy, but will never be more than has been...a 7-8 win coach.  

I would like to add I think his OCs hires are bad.  He gets coaches with very little to no OC experience at a school in a power 5 conference because he does not want anybody to show him up as far as play calling or implementing a sound scheme.  He had a chance to hire a solid OC by interviewing 5 or 6 very qualified ocs but I believed he undermined that so he could hire lindsey.

1 minute ago, James Howell said:

I would like to add I think his OCs hires are bad.  He gets coaches with very little to no OC experience at a school in a power 5 conference because he does not want anybody to show him up as far as play calling or implementing a sound scheme.  He had a chance to hire a solid OC by interviewing 5 or 6 very qualified ocs but I believed he undermined that process so he could hire lindsey.

28 minutes ago, James Howell said:

I would like to add I think his OCs hires are bad.  He gets coaches with very little to no OC experience at a school in a power 5 conference because he does not want anybody to show him up as far as play calling or implementing a sound scheme.  He had a chance to hire a solid OC by interviewing 5 or 6 very qualified ocs but I believed he undermined that so he could hire lindsey.

His first hire is tough to call. Basically just his understudy. Hard to assess what kind of coach he actually is. He did go on a really nice run calling the plays in 2016 until we had some key injuries. He did well at UConn and is now at SMU. Not exactly a meteoric career trajectory but he's still pretty young and his CFB mentor has never received any CFB mentoring of his own. 

Chip Lindsey is a good OC. Gus just didn't want to let him do his job. So ultimately a bad hire, but I can promise you Les Miles was sorry to see him slip away to Troy.

Dilly was probably a good hire because it's clear now that Gus doesn't actually want an OC. 

53 minutes ago, James Howell said:

What was the purpose of quoting yourself? 

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

So, even with all of our talent, what happens if Gus goes out and loses another 5 in the same confusing, discombobulated way we have the last 5 years? Do the AlwayGus defenders finally admit Gus' culpability? 

I liked our offense when Gus was an OC.  He lost his way and has struggled to regain his heading, but I hope Gus turns it around. He needs to evolve and has been beyond reluctant to.

This and This!!!!!

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So what you’re saying is, we catch a lucky break to make life manageable on Gus island. Then six years later, we are making a raft out of wood and VHS tape to escape.

A53B545A-8E9C-4B01-BAB2-0B64A1E2D17E.gif

61675AC8-0263-410B-AC48-6739F1927741.gif

As long as we have Wilson with us.

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You're the one implying they got their feelings hurt by anonymous posters on some random internet site.  

i am just telling you what was written. i believe brandon m is the one that said it was a distraction that hurt the team. i never said they got their feelings hurt.  the article laughing at auburn fans was from another source/site. and altho i have not asked him i believe bm was talking recruiting.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i am just telling you what was written. i believe brandon m is the one that said it was a distraction that hurt the team. i never said they got their feelings hurt.  the article laughing at auburn fans was from another source/site. and altho i have not asked him i believe bm was talking recruiting.

Ok.

16 hours ago, oracle79 said:

IF he is successful this year with a redshirt sophmore, redshirt freshman, or true freshman it will be his FIRST year of success (less than 4 losses) at Auburn without a TRANSFER QB!

I’m not sure how this year will go, but Gus has put himself in the drivers seat on about every level.  He will be calling the plays in his offense with his players that he recruited.  The QB situation seems to be solid, but I think back to recruiting and Gus pulled out all the stops to try to get Bryant here and failed.  What does that say about his level of confidence he had in the QBs?

I’m sure his confidence is high right now after going through Spring practice.  I hope Dillingham is all he is suppose to be and will be in on the decision as to who will get the nod.  One thing going into the fall that is promising; if the starter get hurt, Gus will have a backup he should be able to trust.  #Noexcuses 

22 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Everyone here SHOULD want what’s best for Auburn. In the end, it’s really just deciding what your personal breaking point is with Gus. Some folks weren’t on board to begin with and are still standing on shore. Some folks have seen enough and have pulled the ripcord. Some haven’t reached that breaking point yet and are still bailing water. Everyone is trying to argue the “other side” back. It doesn’t mean one side loves Auburn more than the other side. 

You totally missed the point. The point is that it has been discussed so often and in so many threads that it has taken over this entire forum.. There is NOTHING left that hasn't been mentioned thousands of times already....and yet here is another thread bashing Gus. It does not matter what anyone thinks about Gus. He is the coach in 2019. Posting repeated hate on this forum will not change that. It just makes it very unpleasant to come here. You can't get away from it because it is constantly all over the forum.

Either hope he's a successful coach in 2019 for the team's sake....or don't.  

21 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If a message board forum is affecting the team then the mental fortitude one would expect from a Championship caliber team is not there.  We're not gonna win with a bunch of guys who get their feelings hurt so quickly.  It IS the coaches job to build a team with mental (and intestinal) fortitude.

You don't understand millennials  at all.....

• WarTiger changed the title to Malzahn reacts to analyst Michael Lombardi

I guarantee you the players look at the stuff posted on here and roll their eyes and laugh at an overwhelmingly majority of it. I'm definitely included in that majority.

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I guarantee you the players look at the stuff posted on here and roll their eyes and laugh at an overwhelmingly majority of it. I'm definitely included in that majority.

The players also have family and friends that come here, and I guarantee you they don't roll their eyes. Most of them don't stay and it isn't because they are laughing. The media reads here and copies posts word for word sometimes. Things have a way of filtering back whether you or anyone else wants to believe it.  These are kids who live their lives online. They have a different culture.

55 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You totally missed the point. The point is that it has been discussed so often and in so many threads that it has taken over this entire forum.. There is NOTHING left that hasn't been mentioned thousands of times already....and yet here is another thread bashing Gus. It does not matter what anyone thinks about Gus. He is the coach in 2019. Posting repeated hate on this forum will not change that. It just makes it very unpleasant to come here. You can't get away from it because it is constantly all over the forum.

Either hope he's a successful coach in 2019 for the team's sake....or don't.  

No, I didn’t miss the point.  I read here all the time. I see every singe thread devolve into a discussion about CGM. I don’t understand how anyone could expect this thread to go any differently. How could anyone expect any different?

59 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

The players also have family and friends that come here, and I guarantee you they don't roll their eyes. Most of them don't stay and it isn't because they are laughing. The media reads here and copies posts word for word sometimes. Things have a way of filtering back whether you or anyone else wants to believe it.  These are kids who live their lives online. They have a different culture.

I've seen how these athletes take in message board stuff up close and you're giving us wayyy too much credit when it comes to affecting the players. As far as family members go I'd say you may have a point but that wasn't the original point I was commenting on. 

On 5/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, looney said:

This takes Gus bashing to a whole other level.

image.png

(Really hope this doesn't violate any family-friendly rules... If it does, I'll take it down.)

IMG_1820.GIF

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I've seen how these athletes take in message board stuff up close and you're giving us wayyy too much credit when it comes to affecting the players. As far as family members go I'd say you may have a point but that wasn't the original point I was commenting on. 

I think you are wrong. Players are human beings. Nobody likes to see negative things about themselves or their team or their coaches.  However.....I didn't say it made them grief stricken or suicidal. Take it down a notch there.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yeah, take it down a notch bro. 

Or imma get Ted Bundy after you.

tumblr_inline_mqidzgphsR1qz4rgp.gif

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

No, I didn’t miss the point.  I read here all the time. I see every singe thread devolve into a discussion about CGM. I don’t understand how anyone could expect this thread to go any differently. How could anyone expect any different?

More like JERK Refuge...

2wmDqT.gif

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You're still missing it.  Nobody was expecting anything different in this thread or 5000 other threads. The subject matter of the thread has no bearing on it. Gus bashing goes on everywhere non stop. And THAT is the problem. THAT is the point. Not hard to grasp really. All the whining and bitching about Gus is very repetitive and useless. No one has said anything new in the hate posts in at least 2-3 years. It's the same posters with the same old complaining.

Don't you people ever get tired of being so nasty all the time? 

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

You're still missing it.  Nobody was expecting anything different in this thread or 5000 other threads. The subject matter of the thread has no bearing on it. Gus bashing goes on everywhere non stop. And THAT is the problem. THAT is the point. Not hard to grasp really. All the whining and bitching about Gus is very repetitive and useless. No one has said anything new in the hate posts in at least 2-3 years. It's the same posters with the same old complaining.

Lol nasty?! I have yet to see anyone be nasty yet. Negative absolutely. But nasty? All of the Gus haters including myself are generally some of the more upbeat, energetic and positive people on this sub for the most part. But we all have our dark places and Gus takes us there. Bruce is the light though and where we get our shine and smile from. Even me probaly regarded as the biggest Gus hater can readily admit Gus has some really great qualities. HE IS a great man. No one has run a cleaner program at Auburn than he has. The players really seem to love him and he is a players coach for sure. He has never lost the team. The team has never quit on him. Speaks to how good of a motivator he is. He is a really good recruiter and some of our best classes have been under his tenure. 

Not gonna lie I relish in the negativity. It is fun. I enjoy the back and forth even just reading of the Gus fans and detractors. It is more fun than just all positive posts. Positivity is boring. Negativity makes me want to go get some popcorn and read all the pages of comments in one setting! Lol. It really is not that serious. It fact it is extremely entertaining. IDK why it is annoying for people. It passes the time by here in the offseason.  It is our own version of a soap opera. WOOOOOO!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You singled my post out as Gus bashing?! Really?! Holy crap. Yeah, have fun with that attitude.

Archived