Oregon Game will be big Crapshoot

AUght2win

What a game we have coming up. I can't remember one with such importance with our team being such an unknown. This could be a typical Auburn-bull market year with an outta nowhere 12-0, or it could be Malzahn's excruciating 5-7 demise. And a good argument could be made for either.

Can't remember the last season that opened without any consensus of what the team is expected to be. We should know week 1 which way the pendulum will go.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Last year was a bigger crapshoot. Frankly I think we have a pretty good team this year and a lot of weapons on offense 

Last year wasn't a crapshoot at all. We were universally expected to compete for SEC and a playoff spot. Preseason top 10. Returning star QB. 

People got it wrong, but universally we were highly touted. I have seen predictions all over the place for this upcoming team.

I am looking forward to watching our team this year as it should be filled with some very high high’s,  but will also have some queasy moments that come with FR at QB.  

I think OR will come to play in a big way,   But so will our D-Line.  D-Brown in the Bowl game really found a new level imo,  and I believe that carries over to the season Opener...  we will need it because The Ducks are going to March it on us.   

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Last year wasn't a crapshoot at all. We were universally expected to compete for SEC and a playoff spot. Preseason top 10. Returning star QB. 

People got it wrong, but universally we were highly touted. I have seen predictions all over the place for this upcoming team.

Anyone with a brain saw that we were over hyped last preseason. 

Just listening to a finebaum piece on Auburn and its schedule. I know it’s been said, but the schedule is ridiculously difficult. We have to have one of the most difficult in the country. I think that makes it more difficult to predict. We could end up 8-4 and still be decent. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Oregon Game will be big Crapshoot

Auburn has been impossible to predict for years. It's not just a Gus thing so I don't want to be accused of derailing the thread. The last time I remember us being somewhat consistent year to year was the late '80's. Not sure which publication said it but I remember them saying that Auburn no longer rebuilds, they reload. Dye has us there for several seasons. Since then it's been a rollercoaster. Funny thing about reloading though, you can sometimes shoot yourself in the foot if you're not careful. 

I long for the days of watching a game and knowing we were going to beat the opponent because we were simply better, period. 

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Auburn has been impossible to predict for years. It's not just a Gus thing so I don't want to be accused of derailing the thread. The last time I remember us being somewhat consistent year to year was the late '80's. Not sure which publication said it but I remember them saying that Auburn no longer rebuilds, they reload. Dye has us there for several seasons. Since then it's been a rollercoaster. Funny thing about reloading though, you can sometimes shoot yourself in the foot if you're not careful. 

I long for the days of watching a game and knowing we were going to beat the opponent because we were simply better, period. 

I think a few years we reloaded with blanks.

Gus rebuilds ever year he is anywhere . Reload my arse. The offensive line is where I have the most concern . That’s where we win and lose . 

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Do you hear that from your wife??????

After our 2nd, I loaded the blanks myself

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

After our 2nd, I loaded the blanks myself

Haha, same here!

I think whether we go 12-0 or 6-6 is a crapshoot, but I don't think the Oregon game is. We are bigger, faster, and stronger. The Pac-12 is a joke and a half. We should win regardless of how we do this season.

I was watching Finebaum today and going over how difficult our schedule is, which it is BRUTAL, however, people are saying they cant even see how we get to 8 wins....Its these years when Auburn has came out of nowhere and shocked the world.....Every year I remember being highly touted preseason we dissapoint, but let us have low to medium expectations and we have a chance....I like it....I think we will set a tone against Oregon....Oregon i think will be more a testament to our defense than our O 

41 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think whether we go 12-0 or 6-6 is a crapshoot, but I don't think the Oregon game is. We are bigger, faster, and stronger. The Pac-12 is a joke and a half. We should win regardless of how we do this season.

OR should be pretty good on offense.  They return the QB Herbert, the RB and the entire OL.  Question marks at WR.  Don't know too much about their defense.  Herbert is a legit pro prospect and given time to throw he's certainly capable of carving up a defense.  If there's ever a time AU could use a consistent pass rush then this is the game.  

4 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

OR should be pretty good on offense.  They return the QB Herbert, the RB and the entire OL.  Question marks at WR.  Don't know too much about their defense.  Herbert is a legit pro prospect and given time to throw he's certainly capable of carving up a defense.  If there's ever a time AU could use a consistent pass rush then this is the game.  

As I mentioned in previous posts, I am far more concerned with our Defense in this game than our offense. I think we will have that pass rush come in a form of R. Jubinor or a highly improved TD Moultry. I just have a feeling about those guys. Plus Nick Coe and the rest of our Dline. I think this will be biggest test of the Defense of the season minus Alabama and possibly aTm

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

As I mentioned in previous posts, I am far more concerned with our Defense in this game than our offense. I think we will have that pass rush come in a form of R. Jubinor or a highly improved TD Moultry. I just have a feeling about those guys. Plus Nick Coe and the rest of our Dline. I think this will be biggest test of the Defense of the season minus Alabama and possibly aTm

Have you learned nothing from  20 years of beatdowns at red stick?! lol

smoke.jpg

cigar.jpg

au.jpg

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

What a game we have coming up. I can't remember one with such importance with our team being such an unknown. This could be a typical Auburn-bull market year with an outta nowhere 12-0, or it could be Malzahn's excruciating 5-7 demise. And a good argument could be made for either.

Can't remember the last season that opened without any consensus of what the team is expected to be. We should know week 1 which way the pendulum will go.

IMO, not sure how much this game will tell us about AU leading into SEC play. I'm not football coach but the ones I know say the Duck's D is going to be awful. Real bad.

16 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Last year was a bigger crapshoot. Frankly I think we have a pretty good team this year and a lot of weapons on offense 

AU was a preseason top 10 team with a TON of returning players. Gus and his staff blew it. Lot's of talent on this years team for sure. Safety, CB and OL play are going to be the weak points. LBers are young but the DL will help them big time. No excuse for what happened last year. None. That team should have made a big run and won at least 11 games.

14 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Anyone with a brain saw that we were over hyped last preseason. 

How? No one here thought we were. The AU coaches didn't think we were over hyped.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU was a preseason top 10 team with a TON of returning players. Gus and his staff blew it. Lot's of talent on this years team for sure. Safety, CB and OL play are going to be the weak points. LBers are young but the DL will help them big time. No excuse for what happened last year. None. That team should have made a big run and won at least 11 games.

Even with our improvement, you still think OL will be a weak point over other position groups?  Not debating, just genuinely wanting your opinion.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How? No one here thought we were. The AU coaches didn't think we were over hyped.

i thought we were, as did a lot of other knowledgeable AU fans that I know.  OL was garbage for the vast majority of the season, though did slightly improve in pass protection as the season went on.  Stidham spent his off-season galavanting with his fiancee instead of working with his teammates.  No established RB before the season. 

I could go on but the point of the matter is that saying no one thought we'd be mediocre is factually incorrect.

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The OL should not be an issue this season. Good offensive lines are notorious for being built on experience and chemistry, not necessarily all skill and talent. Of course that is a factor, but the games that these guys have already played together, and the improvements they have made as well, should produce a very formidable offensive line. 2020 will be a different story, but just because we're having some trouble with depth and recruiting on the offensive line doesn't mean we are in a world of hurt at the current moment. 

Archived