Oregon Game will be big Crapshoot

AUght2win

When you look at 2018, you first have to look at 2017. We came off 2017 with early O-Line struggles followed by a solid O-Line after some personnel shuffling. We lost four of five starters on that O-Line. We also lost a very good running back in K.J. Given our O-Line struggles over the previous few years, no one should have predicted Auburn to be wildly successful, especially not running the ball in 2018.

That said, we did well against Washington, who was a stacked team. Washington had 8 players drafted, including 5 defensive players. Washington was tied for 3rd as the school with the most draft picks.

I am not sure why, in hindsight, we apparently over-performed against Washington. Washington struggled throughout the year, so perhaps they had weaknesses outside of their drafted standouts. Perhaps Washington was not prepared. Perhaps we were well prepared.

I think the Oregon game will be a lot like the Washington game. I think playing Washington last year in the opener will help with those players who were part of the preparation last year.

I do think our defense will be even better than last year, despite new starters at LB. I also think our O-Line will be a strength. We have talent at RB and WR. The only standout question is QB. Of course, that is huge. But if our D can keep us in games, we have the potential to have a strong season.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hope so... And yeah Gus is 5-1 in season openers, but lets not pretend he always has his team figured out by then. This isnt Arkansas, Georgia Southern, Washington State, or...gulp...the mighty Jacksonville State team that ALMOST beat us game 1 a few years ago. 

This team has a hometown legit heisman contender at QB that many saw as the #1 pick in this past draft had he decided to enter the draft. 

Luckily our strength is defense. 

Id be shocked to see us blow them out. That team has a lot of momentum right now. On and off the field. 

Its gonna be a tough game

This. Of those 5 wins I would say Washington was the only one that looked promising. Then our offense proceeded to backslide into oblivion. 

8 minutes ago, meh130 said:

When you look at 2018, you first have to look at 2017. We came off 2017 with early O-Line struggles followed by a solid O-Line after some personnel shuffling. We lost four of five starters on that O-Line. We also lost a very good running back in K.J. Given our O-Line struggles over the previous few years, no one should have predicted Auburn to be wildly successful, especially not running the ball in 2018.

That said, we did well against Washington, who was a stacked team. Washington had 8 players drafted, including 5 defensive players. Washington was tied for 3rd as the school with the most draft picks.

I am not sure why, in hindsight, we apparently over-performed against Washington. Washington struggled throughout the year, so perhaps they had weaknesses outside of their drafted standouts. Perhaps Washington was not prepared. Perhaps we were well prepared.

I think the Oregon game will be a lot like the Washington game. I think playing Washington last year in the opener will help with those players who were part of the preparation last year.

I do think our defense will be even better than last year, despite new starters at LB. I also think our O-Line will be a strength. We have talent at RB and WR. The only standout question is QB. Of course, that is huge. But if our D can keep us in games, we have the potential to have a strong season.

I still don't get this take. Nobody should act like they didn't see Auburn as a playoff contender. Everyone did. We had what looked like an absolute stud at the most important position in sports, and a stacked receiving corp. We had just missed the playoffs by a hair. Most of the defensive starters back. There was no reason to believe, (and still no reason to understand) why we couldn't win 10 games. It's easy to say in hindsight that you saw it coming. Last year was a lot like 2003. We had a TON of talent returning and were highly picked, but we fell flat.

Here's to hoping 2019 turns out like 2004. 

59 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hope so... And yeah Gus is 5-1 in season openers, but lets not pretend he always has his team figured out by then. This isnt Arkansas, Georgia Southern, Washington State, or...gulp...the mighty Jacksonville State team that ALMOST beat us game 1 a few years ago. 

This team has a hometown legit heisman contender at QB that many saw as the #1 pick in this past draft had he decided to enter the draft. 

Luckily our strength is defense. 

Id be shocked to see us blow them out. That team has a lot of momentum right now. On and off the field. 

Its gonna be a tough game

Jackonsville State was game 2.  Auburn beat 8-5 Louisville in the kickoff game in 2015 😁.  Get your point about Gus not having things figured out game one.  Took till game 4 against LSU to click in 2013, game 6 in 2016 against Moo State, game 4 in 2017.  If Sean plays the whole season opener in 2016 Auburn might have upset eventual national champ Clemson game 1.  Even Cam’s season took till game 4 to really unleash the beast.

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I still don't get this take. Nobody should act like they didn't see Auburn as a playoff contender. Everyone did. We had what looked like an absolute stud at the most important position in sports, and a stacked receiving corp. We had just missed the playoffs by a hair. Most of the defensive starters back. There was no reason to believe, (and still no reason to understand) why we couldn't win 10 games. It's easy to say in hindsight that you saw it coming. Last year was a lot like 2003. We had a TON of talent returning and were highly picked, but we fell flat.

Here's to hoping 2019 turns out like 2004. 

:cheers:

Typically, offenses need a little time to get rolling early in the season, and I expect our DL to be unlike anything OR has seen.  We should be able to disrupt what they plan to do.  I also have confidence we will win the punting battle.  It really could make a difference in field position which could lead to points.

Other than DL and punter, I'm in wait and see mode.  We have a lot of talent at RB and WR, but with a questionable OL and a FR QB making his first career start, I'm not sure how much production we'll get from that talent.  

Every year is a crapshoot in college football.  Especially week 1.  A couple years ago a heavily favored South Carolina got destroyed by TaMu, Bama destroying Clemson in 2008, Florida State and Miami going getting blown out last year.  You never really know how things are gonna go till the games are played.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We waited in anticipation all offseason for that season, thus first game, too. Lol. So frustrating. 

What year are y'all talking about?

2013 opener vs WashState won 31-24

2014 opener vs Arkansas won 45-21

2015 opener vs Louisville won 31-24

2016 opener vs Clemson lost 13-19 :banghead: 

2017 opener vs Ga Southern won 41-7

2018 opener vs Washington won 21-16

That's 5-1 in openers and Gus will not screw it up this year vs Oregon.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Gus is 5-1 in season openers, he will have his team ready to pounce on the Ducks.  The D will disrupt any rhythm Oregon tries to establish, and the offense should be able to run on that defense easily.   

Finally, a positive attitude!!!

9 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Finally, a positive attitude!!!

I'm no more worried about Oregon than I was about Washington last year.  Auburn will out physical them on the lines and go toe to toe with them at the skill positions.  They've never seen a defense like AU with have coming at them relentlessly, we should be able to run at will on their defense which is right up Gus' alley.  

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm no more worried about Oregon than I was about Washington last year.  Auburn will out physical them on the lines and go toe to toe with them at the skill positions.  They've never seen a defense like AU with have coming at them relentlessly, we should be able to run at will on their defense which is right up Gus' alley.  

I agree with you about the Washington/Oregon comparison , I have good feelings about our team but you don't ever  know until they start playing. 

WDE!!!

2 hours ago, keesler said:

I feel the exact same tbh. I think we will be much more controlling on the line. I think having someone like JG will neutralize the affects of our o-line and I believe our athletes will show out. I also predict we will get overhyped when we win. I am going to do a better job this year of not getting too high or low, especially in victory , until SEC play occurs.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I feel the exact same tbh. I think we will be much more controlling on the line. I think having someone like JG will neutralize the affects of our o-line and I believe our athletes will show out. I also predict we will get overhyped when we win. I am going to do a better job this year not getting to high or low, especially in victory , until SEC play occurs.

You’re spot on.

Auburn wins going away in the 4th. 

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We waited in anticipation all offseason for that season, thus first game, too. Lol. So frustrating. 

It was the only time recently that we won (early season) that i was truly worried we wouldnt win along with Utah State in 2011. Those were two messy wins against outclassed opponents.

5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Jackonsville State was game 2. 

You are right. I just did google searches for game 1 and 2015 showed me Jax State. But the point remains.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

There's not a single thing that Gus does consistently. Not one. Not even the bad stuff. 

Well loof.... He is pretty darn consistent at being inconsistent.

And as far as people "not being worried" about Oregon... 

In 2010 we had one of the most dynamic offenses in college football history... We were led by a heisman winning QB and Lombardi winning defensive lineman. No one was worried about what Oregon could do to us. We would out physical them. Nick Fairley would be a defensive lineman unlike they had EVER seen. 

Their defense back then was as bad as it is now i know this, i was in eugene at the time, going to games. It took a once in a lifetime run by a true freshman RB for us to win with a last second field goal... While we had one of the greatest college football QBs of all time...with one of the best defensive linemen (at the time) in SEC history...

Anyone not worried about ANY major team on our schedule, especially early season, under Gus, has more faith in Gus than he deserves.

17 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are right. I just did google searches for game 1 and 2015 showed me Jax State. But the point remains.

Mine did the same thing, Stupid google. lol

51 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And as far as people "not being worried" about Oregon... 

In 2010 we had one of the most dynamic offenses in college football history... We were led by a heisman winning QB and Lombardi winning defensive lineman. No one was worried about what Oregon could do to us. We would out physical them. Nick Fairley would be a defensive lineman unlike they had EVER seen. 

Their defense back then was as bad as it is now i know this, i was in eugene at the time, going to games. It took a once in a lifetime run by a true freshman RB for us to win with a last second field goal... While we had one of the greatest college football QBs of all time...with one of the best defensive linemen (at the time) in SEC history...

Anyone not worried about ANY major team on our schedule, especially early season, under Gus, has more faith in Gus than he deserves.

I don’t think anyone says they aren’t worried about Oregon. But I am not buying the hype from any of these PAC teams until they prove otherwise. 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think anyone says they aren’t worried about Oregon. But I am not buying the hype from any of these PAC teams until they prove otherwise. 

That i can agree with. 

Im just pointing out, we have played oregon before, and i have seen the "they have no chance, we will out physical them, our defense is something like they have never seen, blah blah blah" associated with Auburn vs Oregon.  And those statements didnt live up to expectations... 

On 5/14/2019 at 3:58 PM, AUght2win said:

But their O is going to be one of the best in the nation. Our defense could play lights-out and still allow 20+. Will we have enough offense to get by? 

Should. If the offense struggles against the ducks, we are in for a long year. Even with a new young starting QB.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, AUght2win said:

WDE you're pretty plugged in, correct? Are the coaches worried about the secondary? That surprises me. Javaris is one of the best CBs I have seen in a while, Dinson is a great player (particularly a great tackler), Iggy has been praised as having outta this world potential and taking next step, Thomas, Monday both had great seasons last year. Sherwood looked great in spots too. What's the cause for concern back there? Thought secondary would be a strength. 

Do believe they are very concerned with the safeties.

11 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Auburn wins going away in the 4th. 

IMO, game is over in the middle of the 3rd QT. One thing Gus can do and do very very very good is destroy a mediocre defense. He will have that D so gassed by the half.

Archived