Softball transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

15 minutes ago, swimmama said:

This is sad that this program is a major dumpster fire. So sad for these girls. Allen needs to take a hard look at this program. It was once so much fun to go to games. I hope that he’s really looking into this new assistant coach hiring not sure we know all the details about him. 

Completely agree except the dumpster fire part. I believe we are just trending down hard and going away from a every year postseason team.

Softball used to be a lot of fun to watch and don’t get me wrong we made it to a regional but the whole year was just hard to watch after the Makayla injury.

We did have a nice upset over Tennessee in the SEC tournament though.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

Completely agree except the dumpster fire part. I believe we are just trending down hard and going away from a every year postseason team.

Softball used to be a lot of fun to watch and don’t get me wrong we made it to a regional but the whole year was just hard to watch after the Makayla injury.

We did have a nice upset over Tennessee in the SEC tournament though.

I would think trending from a WCWS threat every year to bottom half of SEC and worrying about making the NCAA tournament, players running away from your program is a dumpster fire. Especially in a 2 yr period. 

We have lost six quality players since January. I expect there could be a few more so this is not exactly how to build a winning program that will compete in the SEC

I think this was too big of a jump for Dean.  I think he gave it everything he has but he is not the right person for the job.  The old square peg in a round hole concept.  I would rather take a gamble with a Emily Carosone next season than stay the coarse.  You need the Myers philosophy, vision and enthusiasm to continue the building of the program.  

The opening of the portal a year or two ago has made it a lot easier for girls to transfer, and more of them are, for various reasons.  Kentucky has also had 4 girls hit the portal this year.  Miss. St. has had five.  Caylan Arnold left Tennessee.  As Ellitor and I have both pointed out, all the transfers so far were Myers signees, with the exception of Moseley, who has signed with Troy.  These girls were basically double-crossed, so I don't begrudge their chasing their dream.  It also isn't all Dean's fault.  I'm not saying he's the equivalent of Myers, but I'm saying we have to give him a chance with his own recruits.  JMO.   

4 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

with the exception of Moseley

She was still a Meyers holdover too though because she was committed to AU in early 2015 as an 8th grader from an article I found on her if not before then.

32 minutes ago, swimmama said:

We have lost six quality players since January. I expect there could be a few more so this is not exactly how to build a winning program that will compete in the SEC

I will not degrade any of the players who are departing but would not put them all in the "quality" category since a majority of them were not major contributors.  I would say that the loss of Snow and Harris would have the most impact.  I was looking forward to seeing how some others might develop but they have chosen to take their skills elsewhere.  I believe we have 8 talented players arriving in this next class (at last count).

I will dearly miss seeing the Snow sisters if Tannon is also leaving.  They were a joy to watch.  I don't blame Taylon and wish her the best. Her case for leaving is a little curious to me unless she was either not happy with the coaching style, wants to be closer to home, or maybe wants to be on a team better equipped to compete for WCWS title next year with all our transfers. Athletically,  she was performing at a level that was expected, I think.  Very consistent hitter and fielder, except maybe during the team wide slump.  Thank you Taylon for staying this year.  It was a pleasure to see you play in orange and blue. 

We are gonna have possibly the most turnover in all of softball this season.  Not sure how many recruits we have coming in but we are gonna need transfers. A large amount of scholarship money should be opening up as well.  Just pray that Rivera and Perry stay one more season.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Just pray that Rivera and Perry stay one more season.

I sure hope so, but I could see Perry leaving. She had some run ins with playing time the year before and really hasn't had the bat we thought she would consistently

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I sure hope so, but I could see Perry leaving. She had some run ins with playing time the year before and really hasn't had the bat we thought she would consistently

Snow and Rivera came to Auburn to have the Myers continue their training and development at the national level regarding Team USA.  I hate to say it but Rivera has a better opportunity transferring to a better offensive lineup where she will see more pitches.  

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would be surprised if she did. With it being her 2nd transfer she would have to sit a year before playing her SR year no matter where she would go.

Not if she is a graduate.

31 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I believe we have 8 talented players arriving in this next class (at last count).

@slot canyon would you do the rest of us fans a huge favor & put those names into the OP of your 2019 recruiting thread that is pinned at the top of the baseball & softball forum? Would greatly appreciate it!

14 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I will not degrade any of the players who are departing but would not put them all in the "quality" category since a majority of them were not major contributors.  I would say that the loss of Snow and Harris would have the most impact.  I was looking forward to seeing how some others might develop but they have chosen to take their skills elsewhere.  I believe we have 8 talented players arriving in this next class (at last count).

So basically Dean is just starting to get his players.  If that is the case we need to commit at least 3 more seasons to him.  I think AG has a decision to make.  I am skeptical at this point.  The entire middle of our defense will be new next year and quite possibly none of them are on campus besides catcher.

15 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

250 of 300 schools? I can understand that most schools might have a player in the transfer portal. We may be the only one of them with a list on the list. 

So with potential freshman recruits a guess at freshman starters

Centerfield:  Jaylin Calvert or Phoebe Florian

2nd base:  Carlee McCondiche

Shortstop:  Maddie Koepke Or Phoebe Florean

Left field:  Lindsey Garcia or Maddy Majors or Phoebe Florian

3rd base if Snow transfers:  Maia Engelkes or Majors or Garcia

obviously Dowell Has a chance at middle infield and Maresette or Godwin in the outfield.

Pitcher Dismukes was projected more as a project but she will be needed minus a transfer arm.

I do agree that Myers getting the boot affected his recruits.  What I have trouble with is why did the girls hang around for two seasons and now decide to transfer.  

I think there is something deeper than just 'Myers' girls'.  I do think AD Greene needs to have a conversation with Coach Dean but he also needs to have conversations with the transferring players and maybe their parents.   There is more to this story. 

Is Ketelhut still on staff?  Didn't we have three or four girls from his Beverly Bandits team committed for 2020?   If he leaves, do they stay committed?  

• ellitor changed the title to Softball: Greenwood and Mosley transfer portal (Taylon added 6/12/19)

True.  You are closer to the program than most of us.  Do you see the girls meshing with Dean?  I don't see it.  

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

250 of 300 schools? I can understand that most schools might have a player in the transfer portal. We may be the only one of them with a list on the list. 

Apparently you didn't read the whole thread.  We don't even have the most transfers in the SEC.  Miss. St. has 5. Kentucky 4.  uat has two.  Numerous schools have multiple transfers.

14 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Is Ketelhut still on staff?  Didn't we have three or four girls from his Beverly Bandits team committed for 2020?   If he leaves, do they stay committed?  

Good question.  The girls coming in this fall have all signed an NLI, I believe, or is it a grant-in aid?  Either way, I think they're under a legal obligation.

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Do you see the girls meshing with Dean?  I don't see it.  

I can't say. I avoid talking to the players on game days other than greeting them & wishing them a great game. I don't want to take away from their focus. What I can tell you is the style of the program is night & day different between Myers & Dean. Things were a lot more laid back in the program under Myers than they are now with Dean. There's probably more to this as you said. One way or the other though I would think the coach & the parents of such an easily family accessable sport like college softball need to get on the same page at some point

8 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Apparently you didn't read the whole thread.  We don't even have the most transfers in the SEC.  Miss. St. has 5. Kentucky 4.  uat has two.  Numerous schools have multiple transfers.

I read the article that was linked but didn't read your post. My bad. It's still very concerning. 

Archived