AU players & Signees in 2019 MLB Draft

5 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

That’s really late for him, a lot of people were saying he was a steal if he was available in round 3 or 4.

Not late at all given how he performed most of the season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

That’s really late for him, a lot of people were saying he was a steal if he was available in round 3 or 4.

Yeah, unfortunately, I think the slow start cost him a couple rounds. I never thought he would go quite as high as his preseason projections (some had him as a fringe 1st round guy), but I did think he'd go third round. One report by Keith Law that circulated some of the message boards quoted a scout that had some unflattering remarks about his season and the coaching he'd received at Auburn as a reason why he'd struggled. Hate it for him because I think he's more than talented enough to have gone higher, and that would've meant more money. But he's going to a really good organization known for developing guys. Happy for him there. And looking at the big picture, he was still a 5th round pick.

8 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Davis Daniel was selected in the 7th round by the Angels. Pick number 211. Bit of a surprise. 

I think JC thought it might happen. That's 2 players & a signee likely gone.

Brock Bell was just drafted with the last pick of the 7th round to the Red Sox. About a $200K slot value. Probably don't get him to campus with that draft slot.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think JC thought it might happen. That's 2 players & a signee likely gone.

I expected him to get drafted but figured it would be around the beginning of day three, maybe 10th round.

2 hours ago, auburnfan247 said:

That might have been true last year, but his offense this year really dropped off. I’m glad he was drafted and wish him well!

16 hours ago, boomstick said:

Davis Daniel was selected in the 7th round by the Angels. Pick number 211. Bit of a surprise. 

He's got the ability to light it up professionally...already has the TJ surgery out of the way.  As much as I hate it, we need these 3rd year guys signing, going and killing it.  Leads to good problems like having too much talent wanting to be here and having to make hard choices with the roster like a cetain college football team that will remain unnamed.

This has been the action for Auburn so far today:

Edouard Julien was drafted 20th round (539) by the Twins as a 2B. 

Jack Owen was drafted 21st round (635) by the Cardinals.

Elliott Anderson was just drafted in the 23rd round (679) by the Royals. 

Auburn signee Nate LaRue just went 25th round (747) to the Blue Jays. He was a top 200 projection. Will be interesting to see if they have some money left over they might throw at him.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Auburn signee Nate LaRue just went 25th round (747) to the Blue Jays. He was a top 200 projection. Will be interesting to see if they have some money left over they might throw at him.

He already told al.com in an interview he turned down the Blue Jays to come to Auburn. He said he turned down the Pirates  yesterday who were going to take him in the 11th round also to come to Auburn.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He already told al.com in an interview he turned down the Blue Jays to come to Auburn. He said he turned down the Pirates  yesterday who were going to take him in the 11th round also to come to Auburn.

Awesome. I hadn't seen that! Good stuff. I think he's going to be a big help for us next year. Gives Scheffler some relief, maybe wins the starting job, and can be a closer-type arm in the bullpen as well.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:23 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Gunnar Henderson was just drafted by the Orioles as the first pick in the second round at 42 overall. 

Saw him projected as high as 19. 

Any chance we get this guy in school? 

He was drafted by an organization that has little in front of him is regard to shortstops. His path to the big league will be shorter than it would have been with most teams. With the offer he got I know that I'd go if I was him. 

Auburn having another big year in MLB Draft

By Jason Caldwell
9240827.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Edouard Julien (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama—One of the goals for Butch Thompson when he took over the Auburn baseball program in the fall of 2015 was to make it a place more attractive for future professional players to come and enjoy the collegiate experience. As an assistant coach he was part of a staff that put together the 2010 class that saw 11 players taken off one team, so he knew the potential of the program.

In the four years prior to his arrival Auburn had seen those numbers diminish dramatically with just 13 draft picks from 2012-15 and only four different players the final two seasons with Rocky McCord selected twice.

With 17 Auburn players taken in the previous three years of the draft the Tigers have accomplished Thompson’s goal in a big way. Following the selection of signee Gunnar Henderson in the second round on day one, shortstop Will Holland (5th round to the Twins) and pitcher Davis Daniel (7th round to the Angels) were both taken on day two along with juco pitcher commitment Brock Bell (6th round).

Day three has brought on even more action for Auburn with third baseman and draft-eligible sophomore Edouard Julien taken in the 18th round with the 539th pick overall by the Minnesota Twins.

Three rounds later it was another draft-eligible sophomore selected when pitcher Jack Owen was selected in the 21st round by the St. Louis Cardinals, number 635 overall. Not soon after junior LHP Elliott Anderson was taken in the 23 round by the Kansas City Royals with the 679th pick of the draft.

In the 25th round a second signee was selected when the Toronto Blue Jays took Nate LaRue from McGill-Toolen Catholic in Mobile. Drafted as a pitcher, LaRue would likely be a two-way player if he gets to Auburn with the ability to catch as well as close games on the mound. Another signee, RHP Ramsey David, was selected in the 35th round by the Arizona Diamondbacks. 

All of the players selected on Wednesday will have a big decision to make depending on the amount of money offered with Julien being one of them. With still two seasons of eligibility remaining, he said right now his only focus is on this weekend and the Super Regional at North Carolina.

“It’s pretty cool,” Julien said of being taken in the draft. “I saw it after practice. I wasn’t thinking about that, I was thinking about North Carolina. I want to win and go to Omaha. That’s the only thing I’m focusing on right now.

“I have talked with my advisor a little and my family about what I wanted, but my focus has always been on this team. I don’t have any control on that so I don’t really pay attention to it.”

Putting up monster numbers last season as a freshman when he hit .275 with 17 home runs and broke Frank Thomas’ school record for freshman RBI with 69, Julien hasn’t had the type of year that anyone expected as a sophomore.

4COMMENTS

With his batting average down to .239, Julien has just eight home runs and 48 RBI, but in postseason play there have been some signs of life. Putting up a pair of multiple hit games and adding four walks, he has built some momentum heading into the biggest weekend of the year.

“I have struggled a little this year,” Julien said. “It has been a rollercoaster year for me with ups and downs, but I just keep my head up and play like nothing happened the day before. I just want to go out and have fun.”

• 2 weeks later...

Was 2 for 2 in the Louisville game and was on base 4 out of 4 plate appearances. Great game by him. Wish he would've gotten that last AB, but it was not meant to be.

Hope he returns to school as he could hone in his defensive skills and become an elite third baseman. I'd love to see him in an Auburn jersey for another year and really see what a season with him and Williams really on their game could look like. 

He could be one of the featured players in the country by returning next season. 

43 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Why would he leave?  He is only a Sophomore and one more year before he could leave for the MLB, right?

He was a draft eligible sophomore and was drafted in the 18th round 

So here is why he was draft eligible 

Some #MLBDraft news.

INF Edouard Julien is eligible for the 2019 draft. Easy to overlook as he is a 19-year-old, but his secondary school year in Canada in 2017 counts as equivalent of a year of JuCo and this is his second year at Auburn.

This is marginally related to the topic, but does it piss anyone else off that ESPN continues to show the video of our 9th inning meltdown at the top of their homepage?  Just like al.com kept the 49-0 football score from 2012 in a prominent position for about 3 weeks.  Am I overly sensitive, or is this the uat faction of ESPN at work?

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

This is marginally related to the topic, but does it piss anyone else off that ESPN continues to show the video of our 9th inning meltdown at the top of their homepage?  Just like al.com kept the 49-0 football score from 2012 in a prominent position for about 3 weeks.  Am I overly sensitive, or is this the uat faction of ESPN at work?

You may or may not be overly sensitive but it is up to Auburn to change the narrative. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You may or may not be overly sensitive but it is up to Auburn to change the narrative. 

:)   We give them so many opportunities they probably have a hard time trying to decide which one to lead with .  

The only good thing about the MSU meltdown is that it got the LSU meltdown off the page....Who was it that said.....there is no bad publicity...:dunno: 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

:)   We give them so many opportunities they probably have a hard time trying to decide which one to lead with .  

The only good thing about the MSU meltdown is that it got the LSU meltdown off the page....Who was it that said.....there is no bad publicity...:dunno: 

Someone who knows nothing much about social media in this millennium.....😉

Archived