Would you feel different if we had beaten FSU in 2013?

gr82b4au

There are sooo many posts on every Auburn board just bashing our head coach, especially now that the baseball and basketball team are enjoying so much success. Even though he engineered the most remarkable comeback season in NCAA history and coached us to the title game in 2013, I feel like that one game changed everything for Gus. If he wins that one game (where we were ahead by 2tds+), I feel like nobody is giving him the amount of grief that he gets these days. He would be recognized as a national championship head coach. 

** Granted, we fired Chiz in 2012 for utter misery 2 years after a national title, but our program was in the gutter at that point. We did not win an SEC game and were beaten by 45 points in just about every game. **

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.  Losing 5 games a year with an atrocious record against or rivals (and a .500 record against MSU) since then is unacceptable. 

Yes- that is until last year. 2014 the defense was terrible, 2015 the QB play was putrid, 2016 and 2017 we seemed to finally get moving in a good direction until Amen Corner, which just showed the better team. The end of 2017 we ran out of gas with KJ getting hurt, but at least we looked the part for most of the year.

Last year was hard for me to handle as a fan. We had very little reason to lose that many games. Especially the way we lost them. It continues a trend that I hope to see Gus buck this year- maybe I'm naive but I think and feel that this year is different (so far- we'll know against Oregon).

If it's more of the same, I'm ready to accept that he is what he is and I'll be supportive of AG making a change.

27 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

No.  Losing 5 games a year with an atrocious record against or rivals (and a .500 record against MSU) since then is unacceptable. 

Agreed. 

Yes, Chizik flamed out quicker and more spectacularly, and our program was in a shambles off the field as well as on it. And that's not the case with Gus. But he's also sustained mediocrity for 4 straight seasons. One good November doesn't change that. He wasn't able to turn that championship appearance into anything.

In fact, you know what would change my mind? Is if 2015 and 2013 could trade places, and then 2017 and 2018. Then we'd know that Gus can actually build winning teams. 

35 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It seems as if you would be more forgiving. He would have a direct connection to 2 of our 3 national titles in program history (66%). It's not like we were setting the world on fire before he was in Auburn.

Just now, gr82b4au said:

It seems as if you would be more forgiving. He would have a direct connection to 2 of our 3 national titles in program history (66%). It's not like we were setting the world on fire before he was in Auburn.

So how many 4-5 loss seasons do you give him?

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. 

Yes, Chizik flamed out quicker and more spectacularly, and our program was in a shambles off the field as well as on it.

And yet Gus turned it around in one year and took us to the national title game. I don;t think people remember how bad we were in 2012. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

And yet Gus turned it around in one year and took us to the national title game. I don;t think people remember how bad we were in 2012. 

Um, absolutely nobody forgets any of that. But what a lot of us do know is that it's not really good when your best season out of six is your first one. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

So how many 4-5 loss seasons do you give him?

Not sure, but how many current head coaches have won a national title? I just think winning 2 national titles in the span of 3 years would have changed the way we look a things. If dabo goes 7-5 the next 3 years and then 10-2 (but no championship), do you thing they fire him at Clemson? I think he is set for life. 

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not sure, but how many current head coaches have won a national title? I just think winning 2 national titles in the span of 3 years would have changed the way we look a things. If dabo goes 7-5 the next 3 years and then 10-2 (but no championship), do you thing they fire him at Clemson? I think he is set for life. 

Gus hasn't won any national titles as a head coach. Big difference between drawing up plays for the GOAT and managing an entire football team. The 2010 title should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on anyone's evaluation of Gus's tenure as Auburn's head coach. 

Dabo? Lol. This is what Dabo's career looks like:

9 wins
6 wins
10 wins
11 wins
10 wins
10 wins
14 wins, national title runner-up
14 wins and a national title
14 wins and a playoff appearance
15 wins, national title, arguably the greatest football team of all time. With a true freshman at quarterback.
Currently has what could be the greatest recruiting class of all time, plus that quarterback is coming back. 

There is absolutely no comparison between Dabo and Gus. None. For example, Gus didn't go 10-2 last year. He went 10-4 two years ago. And those 2 regular season losses were 2 of the most shameful, humiliating crimes ever committed by an Auburn football coach. 

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is a super loaded question. Of course Dabo wouldn't get fired if he had four winning seasons the next four years. He would get killed by the fans though for winning only 7 games with extreme talent and being the highest paid coach though.He had accompanied 116-30 record previous to this, so he has earned the benefit of a doubt from the money makers. He also has won at least 10 games since 2011. This is silly. Gus is in this because of Gus.  Gus is not in this because he DID not win a NC game. Gus got extreme credit for winning two games against rivals at the end of 2017. He has had more than enough support from Auburn. Now he needs consistency. That is how you are set for life.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Um, absolutely nobody forgets any of that. But what a lot of us do know is that it's not really good when your best season out of six is your first one. 

If your first season is only the 3rd time in program history to reach that point, it is going to be hard to match. Do you agree with that?  I hear you - would like to us to be a 10 win/season type program. LSU is basically a 10 win program but I would argue that even with our down seasons, we still have more success than they do recently. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Gus hasn't won any national titles as a head coach. Big difference between drawing up plays for the GOAT and managing an entire football team. The 2010 title should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on anyone's evaluation of Gus's tenure as Auburn's head coach. 

Dabo? Lol. This is what Dabo's career looks like:

9 wins
6 wins
10 wins
11 wins
10 wins
10 wins
14 wins, national title runner-up
14 wins and a national title
14 wins and a playoff appearance
15 wins, national title, arguably the greatest football team of all time. With a true freshman at quarterback.
Currently has what could be the greatest recruiting class of all time, plus that quarterback is coming back. 

There is absolutely no comparison between Dabo and Gus. None. Oh, also, Gus didn't go 10-2 last year. He went 10-4 two years ago. And those 2 regular season losses were 2 of the most shameful, humiliating crimes ever committed by an Auburn football coach. 

ahh you beat me to it.

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is what this thread is about. ?? 

You said "winning 3 national titles in the span of 3 years". Which, now that I read it again, would have been inaccurate on 2 levels. Would've been 4 years. 

Gus wasn't head coach for the national title we did win in 2010 so it is not germane to the topic. 

I agree it is not fair to compare Dabo and Gus. Dabo has proven to be a better coach... with a much, much, much, much, much easier schedule. But I am getting off track... the point is if Gus had this resume I think people would feel differently:

AU HC national title

mediocre

mediocre

mediocre

SEC championship game

mediocre

I think being a national title head coach makes it different. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If your first season is only the 3rd time in program history to reach that point, it is going to be hard to match. Do you agree with that?  I hear you - would like to us to be a 10 win/season type program. LSU is basically a 10 win program but I would argue that even with our down seasons, we still have more success than they do recently. 

Fair enough on the first part. Another way to put it is that his only season losing less than 4 games was 6 years ago. 

As for LSU, Orgeron is 2-0 against Gus. They won 10 games last year and are a preseason top 10. They won 9 games the year before. They've only had 2 8-win seasons in the last decade. Gus has 4 in the last 5 years. And one of those was only 7 wins.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for LSU, Orgeron is 2-0 against Gus. They won 10 games last year and are a preseason top 10. They won 9 games the year before. They've only had 2 8-win seasons in the last decade. Gus has 4 in the last 5 years. And one of those was only 7 wins.

Would you rather be Auburn or LSU over the last decade? Would you rather be Auburn or any other program in the SEC (other than uat) over the last decade? 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I agree it is not fair to compare Dabo and Gus. Dabo has proven to be a better coach... with a much, much, much, much, much easier schedule. But I am getting off track... the point is if Gus had this resume I think people would feel differently:

AU HC national title

mediocre

mediocre

mediocre

SEC championship game

mediocre

I think being a national title head coach makes it different. 

You can take all those "much"es off and just call it easier. It's not as easy as you make it out to be. And it doesn't explain why they beat the absolute dog poop out of a team that dropped 52 on us. And, in reference to the OP, it doesn't explain Gus's terrible, embarrassing losses. Two of which came to Dabo Swinney. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I did not say that. 

Dude. 

26 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think Gus would have been a different coach had he won that game.  He had it won and gave it away in that 3rd quarter.  I think he is still haunted by it. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fair enough on the first part. Another way to put it is that his only season losing less than 4 games was 6 years ago. 

The people acting like Ed Orgeron is not a very good head coach do nothing but degrade any further arguments they make.

Archived