Katz Opines on Wiley

• ellitor changed the title to Katz Opines on Wiley

He had by far the highest PER on the team last season before he got injured. Obviously the loss of Jared and Bryce will mean some others will need to score more, but I also think Austin will benefit more from Jvon’s style too. Hope this is the year Austin truly breaks out

39 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude ate UVA, I’m so pissed we didn’t run more sets through him after getting the 3 on that fat lumberjack that was their only center. A huge part of that is just not having many individuals who could pass well (or smartly), which seems to DEFINITELY be about to improve in future classes. I don’t specifically know what our go to “space the floor” lineups will be until I see. But I’d imagine he’d work better with the second unit than the first. Ofc defending a PnR between him and Okoro or JVon is also dangerous 

38 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Dude ate UVA, I’m so pissed we didn’t run more sets through him after getting the 3 on that fat lumberjack that was their only center. A huge part of that is just not having many individuals who could pass well (or smartly), which seems to DEFINITELY be about to improve in future classes. I don’t specifically know what our go to “space the floor” lineups will be until I see. But I’d imagine he’d work better with the second unit than the first. Ofc defending a PnR between him and Okoro or JVon is also dangerous 

It would of ended the same way it always ends in big games for us. Just like this baseball game. Complete heartbreak. Only our GOAT level Equestrian program seems to be immune to this. If ya cannot tell I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking pissed. Tired of getting to the biggest stage of the sport and then absolute the most gut wrenching loss possible happens. Unbelievable. Ripped our hearts out................. O I like what you said. Because of the junk Virginia defense that was absolutely the thing to do. We win that game and we smoke texas tech. I will never not believe this. SMH.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

It would of ended the same way it always ends in big games for us. Just like this baseball game. Complete heartbreak. Only our GOAT level Equestrian program seems to be immune to this. If ya cannot tell I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking pissed. Tired of getting to the biggest stage of the sport and then absolute the most gut wrenching loss possible happens. Unbelievable. Ripped our hearts out................. O I like what you said. Because of the junk Virginia defense that was absolutely the thing to do. We win that game and we smoke texas tech. I will never not believe this. SMH.

I know alot of Auburn fans dont like to hear it, but this program might really be cursed, in a weird way. We're allowed to have these miracle runs, but they dont amount to anything due to some otherworldly force. Have arguably the best Auburn team in 2004 and 1. the NCAA chooses to completely look over our schedule for Oklahoma 2. USC happens to cheat their ass off right at that time 

I dont know what's worse between Samir choosing to to close out with his legs versus his arms, Edouard ignoring the cool breeze of a guy sprinting past him, or...that guy's leg going out on the kick return vs FSU (you can replace this with a dozen different figures from that FSU game). We just arent very lucky once you get past a certain point it seems. A glass ceiling, if you will.

All that being said, there's something admirable and noble in supporting your team whenever, however. And thankfully, (sans the football team), we have a modicum of consistency of success in baseball, basketball and I guess....equestrian? The payoff is building up, we just need to have it spill over.

Auburn fans complaining about bad luck. C’mon now. First off, Cam Newton. National title. Second, Prayer at Jordan Hare and Kick Six. Or you never see FSU. Third, missed FTs in round one or we never hear “Jared. Chuma Okeke. And my dude, Bryce Brown.”

We have had PLENTY of good fortune over the years. Whether impossible, unbelievable runs “amount to anything” entirely depends on your perspective. I see a 2013 SEC football banner. I see a 2019 SEC Tourney banner. I see a Final Four banner. I see a CWS banner on the way. For me, the memories and those (incredibly difficult) accomplishments are a heck of a lot. I’d say all those runs amounted to a LOT of something. Maybe not the absolute most that they could, but those are milestones most would kill for. 

These latest examples ... we never had any business being in the 2013 natty game, 2019 final 4 or 2019 cws ... but we were and are.  All 3 teams played above themselves as a team.  These are the kind of teams where, yes there was some disappointment, but in the bigger pic - phenomenal accomplishments.

btw, we are still in the cws ... nobody has gone home yet.

We’re not cursed and we don’t have bad luck.  We have had more amazing finishes than any other school could possibly imagine.  We’ve been on the winning side of many, and we’ve lost our share.  

I would suggest that all these crazy finishes are a testament to our character as Auburn family.  Because we live by the Auburn Creed, we never give up, we fight until the end.  We put ourselves in position to have a chance to win when the final whistle blows.  It’s who we are.  We test the will of our opponents.  Some answer the call and we tip our cap to them (except bama), other times they are not able to respond and we reap the reward of our determination.  

On 6/22/2019 at 7:43 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

We’re not cursed and we don’t have bad luck.  We have had more amazing finishes than any other school could possibly imagine.  We’ve been on the winning side of many, and we’ve lost our share.  

I would suggest that all these crazy finishes are a testament to our character as Auburn family.  Because we live by the Auburn Creed, we never give up, we fight until the end.  We put ourselves in position to have a chance to win when the final whistle blows.  It’s who we are.  We test the will of our opponents.  Some answer the call and we tip our cap to them (except bama), other times they are not able to respond and we reap the reward of our determination.  

"A scrappy as hell underdog that doesn't know how to stop fighting.....so we keep fighting because it's our DNA...it's who we are. "

-gravesjd

Getting back to Wiley.  The potential has been there from Day 1 and we have had glimpses of what he can do for us. During the NCAA tournament run we saw some real glimpses of what he can do for us when healthy.  If you watched some highlight on when he played for the National teams again we saw a great player.  I am really hoping he is truly healthy and in great game shape this coming year as he can be a real presence on the boards and on the defensive end and if he can become a force down low both scoring and passing out to open three point shooters when teams have to double team him it can take some of the pressure off of our PG position because we have a down low option that can both score and facilitate others scoring.

I don't expect Auburn to change who they are but having this down low option will open up others.

Honestly, I don't think we know what kind of presence he will have down low.  We've seen glimpses of what could be.  But he has played injured the whole time here.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt, the hand surgery he had after the season kind of explained the stone hands he showed on some of the passes he received down low.  Has had foot issues......

Wiley has shown more than enough of what he brings and how he can impact games. He was better offensively and defensively than most gave him credit for. He drop a balland people over exaggerate it. He needs to get better but at the same time he was playing on a team where the guards weren't good at passing the ball. When it was time to play quality athletes he was an anchor defensively. As far as what we have coming back he's one of the most important, especially on defense. 

So lame.......how are you a big homer but don't like your starting center? That's double stupid

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So lame.......how are you a big homer but don't like your starting center? That's double stupid

Seriously, With the thumbs down? How dare you say positive things about a player!

tenor.gif

I said good things about Wiley and Mean Gene never gave me a thumbs down two posts below when Cole does he gives him a thumbs down. so mean Gene are you saying Wiley is no good or are you just doing a thumb's down because Cole posted.  If because Cole posted then that is the type of behavior I see from my grandchildren when they are having an argument.

25 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I said good things about Wiley and Mean Gene never gave me a thumbs down two posts below when Cole does he gives him a thumbs down. so mean Gene are you saying Wiley is no good or are you just doing a thumb's down because Cole posted.  If because Cole posted then that is the top of behavior I see from my grandchildren when they are having an argument.

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'll say the like system def added a dimension to this forum I could've never previously imagined

tenor.gif

I'm excited for potential to match production this coming season. For whatever reason you would like to grab a hold of Wiley has yet to truly produce while at AU. His best season was his half year as a freshmen where he averaged roughly 9 pts, 1 blk, and almost 5 rebounds per game. I really hope he can stay healthy at least this next season so we can all see what he is capable of. He was a force when he played for that USA team and i hope he can show the AU people what he is capable of. I think with the team we have next year that he will have a better chance to show his game. 

I wonder how he feels or what he goes through on campus? I know the players amongst themselves really know and I guess that's what matters, but I know I'd be frustrated that the team literally wouldn't have went as far without me but I'm not recognized

Archived