Mike Norvell

Swamp Eagle

On 11/5/2019 at 11:03 PM, Mikey said:

A team can't redshirt everybody. I guess if it's been that terrible overall then maybe make a change. It was going to be tough for anyone that came in there with the intention of changing styles of offense though.

They could get petrino back on the cheap. That’s what they should do. 

11 hours ago, alexava said:

In this day and time, if you get fired for lying to your boss, playing hanky-panky with the help and shifting company funds to pay said help extra money, you don't have a chance of getting your job back. The shocking thing was that any school, anywhere, hired Petrino after what he pulled at Arkansas.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

In this day and time, if you get fired for lying to your boss, playing hanky-panky with the help and shifting company funds to pay said help extra money, you don't have a chance of getting your job back. The shocking thing was that any school, anywhere, hired Petrino after what he pulled at Arkansas.

Redemption! 

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

Redemption! 

JMO but if you want redemption, see your Priest....not your college's AD.. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but if you want redemption, see your Priest....not your college's AD.. 

So what you're saying is Petrino has a shot with Notre Dame when that job comes open? 😜

On 11/9/2019 at 9:59 PM, alexava said:

Well, someone felt the need to write this article back in September:  https://www.arkansasfight.com/2019/9/19/20858227/its-time-to-stop-the-bobby-petrino-apologetics-arkansas-fans-deserve-more-2019-chad-morris-jeff-long

There may be a real desire among some people in Fayetteville for Petrino to roam their sidelines again.

Tough on schools when all the speculation about their coaches kicks in during the season with important games yet to be played....and of course with the recruiting under way.

I guess there is no way around it but  with the Dec signing dates, many schools still have games to play while they are trying to sign future talent.  Lots of opportunities to float false stories/ false hope that can affect the targeted programs.  

PS: re  Norvel….Memphis or Arkansas.....what's the difference ?  ....just a big river 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Tough on schools when all the speculation about their coaches kicks in during the season with important games yet to be played....and of course with the recruiting under way.

I guess there is no way around it but  with the Dec signing dates, many schools still have games to play while they are trying to sign future talent.  Lots of opportunities to float false stories/ false hope that can affect the targeted programs.  

PS: re  Norvel….Memphis or Arkansas.....what's the difference ?  ....just a big river 

Fayetteville and surrounding environment is a lot prettier and less dangerous. Further from Tunica though. 

The real question to ask about Norvell is:  what is his dream job?  At Memphis he has a stable program, good salary, and the school has reasonable expectations.  Arkansas is a rebuild job, comes with more pressure and admin politics, and there are three powerhouse programs that you have to deal with on an annual basis.  Unless Arkansas happens to be his dream job, going to Arkansas is a gamble with his career that he does not need to make.

28 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

The real question to ask about Norvell is:  what is his dream job?  At Memphis he has a stable program, good salary, and the school has reasonable expectations.  Arkansas is a rebuild job, comes with more pressure and admin politics, and there are three powerhouse programs that you have to deal with on an annual basis.  Unless Arkansas happens to be his dream job, going to Arkansas is a gamble with his career that he does not need to make.

Arkansas was Malzahn's dream job at one point too, but that doesn't mean he would leave for it now. Norvell has a house on Beaver Lake in Rogers (about 30 mins north of Fayetteville) and obviously played college football in the state and has family living here.

If it wasn't for that I doubt his name would be mentioned with the Arkansas job. I think he'd have a better chance of leaving Memphis than Gus would Auburn but still not sure if he would leave a pretty good situation. Guess we may get to find out. I think the next Arkansas coach gets at least 4 years regardless of who it is or what happens...but then again I thought Morris would get at least 3 when he was hired too. Norvell wouldn't have a very high bar to do better than though.

58 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Arkansas was Malzahn's dream job at one point too, but that doesn't mean he would leave for it now. Norvell has a house on Beaver Lake in Rogers (about 30 mins north of Fayetteville) and obviously played college football in the state and has family living here.

If it wasn't for that I doubt his name would be mentioned with the Arkansas job. I think he'd have a better chance of leaving Memphis than Gus would Auburn but still not sure if he would leave a pretty good situation. Guess we may get to find out. I think the next Arkansas coach gets at least 4 years regardless of who it is or what happens...but then again I thought Morris would get at least 3 when he was hired too. Norvell wouldn't have a very high bar to do better than though.

One of my daughter's teachers is a die hard razorback fan. He still says he wants Gus and thinks I'm crazy for not wanting him. How does the rest of the fan base feel about Gus?

On 11/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

Well, I went to Auburn, my sister to Oklahoma State, my parents to Auburn along with several other family members, and my gf to Texas. I turn my nose up to all things that come in red and white.

When I was a kid my mother suggested we leave milk and cookies out for Santa.... I was confused. I thought we were suppose to leave Jack Daniels, Coke, and Golden-flakes out in the hopes that Santa fell out of the sleigh.

That last paragraph needs to be framed.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One of my daughter's teachers is a die hard razorback fan. He still says he wants Gus and thinks I'm crazy for not wanting him. How does the rest of the fan base feel about Gus?

I'd say it's about 70/30 against him. Firing a Malzahn protege just to hire the guy himself seems like something we would do though. Some people want Drinkwitz from App State since he learned from Malzahn too. Malzahn would be better than Morris (not saying much) but he's too divisive of a coach to work out here IMO.

The vast majority want Norvell with the rest wanting Kiffin, Clark or Leach. Freeze has been mentioned too but I don't see that happening.

23 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

I'd say it's about 70/30 against him. Firing a Malzahn protege just to hire the guy himself seems like something we would do though. Some people want Drinkwitz from App State since he learned from Malzahn too. Malzahn would be better than Morris (not saying much) but he's too divisive of a coach to work out here IMO.

The vast majority want Norvell with the rest wanting Kiffin, Clark or Leach. Freeze has been mentioned too but I don't see that happening.

Despite the snarky skepticism from some posters on here about his coaching ability/results,  I think Clark would be an excellent hire. What he has done at UAB considering the obstacles thrown up in his way is pretty impressive, IMO.

2 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Dreams change of course but Gus may think he can do what it takes to win favor with pig fans whereas, from this point forward as Les Miles noted, all he is gonna do is gain more enemies and probably not convert any of the current ones to friends.      He's gone sooner or later IMO almost no matter what he does.

I'm willing to bet that all parties could come to an agreement though it could be that AG and a stand-in President might be reluctant to go shopping for a new coach with what seems to be so few possible candidates who have a high probability of doing better in the SEC west. 

Gus is a known quantity no matter what people think.   IF AG takes any overt action to move him out, he's betting his own career on the success of Gus's replacement. :dunno:

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Dreams change of course but Gus may think he can do what it takes to win favor with pig fans whereas, from this point forward as Les Miles noted, all he is gonna do is gain more enemies and probably not convert any of the current ones to friends.      He's gone sooner or later IMO almost no matter what he does.

I'm willing to bet that all parties could come to an agreement though it could be that AG and a stand-in President might be reluctant to go shopping for a new coach with what seems to be so few possible candidates who have a high probability of doing better in the SEC west. 

Gus is a known quantity no matter what people think.   IF AG takes any overt action to move him out, he's betting his own career on the success of Gus's replacement. :dunno:

Hey, 64...I know this is odd, but I had a look at AG's tweets over time yesterday. For us, it's all about football, with basketball naturally and deservedly burgeoning. But for Greene, even if not the moneymakers, he really goes overboard featuring EVERY sport in the department on a shout-out capacity. My horizons were broadened, and I was blown away. I guessed I might find some clues as to his perspective...nope. He'd be crazy to use social media as a window to his soul, but I got the impression that he's tied to way more than just football, even if we aren't. I found it interesting... 

39 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey, 64...I know this is odd, but I had a look at AG's tweets over time yesterday. For us, it's all about football, with basketball naturally and deservedly burgeoning. But for Greene, even if not the moneymakers, he really goes overboard featuring EVERY sport in the department on a shout-out capacity. My horizons were broadened, and I was blown away. I guessed I might find some clues as to his perspective...nope. He'd be crazy to use social media as a window to his soul, but I got the impression that he's tied to way more than just football, even if we aren't. I found it interesting... 

Thanks for the posting.   Guess I'm not surprised....he has something like 22 sports to keep up with and owes it to all of those HCs to show them respect and that he values their effort and commitment to Auburn and their student athletes.     Glad to see that he shares that commitment to Auburn in general and not just Auburn's football program.

BUT....likely he will be judged as to his success or failure in the long term by what the football program does...JABA

Archived