Interesting Comments from our AD

Potatooooooes!!

Unless there are some major PTBs willing to go public on the issue, there is no way AG is gonna fire Gus after this year and take personal responsibility for eating $27M and then finding another HC that will generate widespread enthusiasm.....and finding enough money to sign him up.  

Which means...no Steele, no Clark as those hires would have about as much negative reaction as keeping Gus IMO.   Both are good guys but you really have to believe in the tooth fairly to believe either of them as HC could beat our major any more frequently than Gus.  

AG is not near as likely to get fired for not firing Gus this season as he would be for making a Taggert or Morris or Moorhead type hire. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Mr. Green is good spokesman. Iron Bowl is huge for the Auburn future this year. JMO but I see no way you consider ousting a 9-3 coach.

Don’t think that’s gonna be a problem 

Also, Greene extended the contract of women's basketball's Coach Flo when a firing would have been a lot more in order than it is with Gus. I don't think Greene is going to be a quick trigger guy and that's all-in-all a good thing.

8 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

So?

So, you stated your opinion that Gus wouldn’t be fired after a 9-3 season. There is precedent for coaches being fired in seasons where they win 9 games, so in my opinion it could happen. Whether it does or not remains to be seen. 

7 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Beat Bammer next weekend and it all goes away.  

I want to believe that is true. Until we play the bowl game and have 250 yards of offense and cant run the ball again. Or until the UNC game next year when we are in full panic mode in the fourth quarter because we’re down 20-9 because we’ve settled for field goals all game. Gus reels us in then casts us off after reverting back to his old self. This year its tough schedule and a freshman qb. Next year it will be a rookie O-line. I really want to beat Bama, and hope we do. 

All this talk about not firing Gus after a potential 9-win season, but, other than Oregon, just who has Auburn beaten? OK--TAMU, at their house, but I'd hardly list that as a "signature" win. Ole Miss--awful; Miss State--awful; Arkansas--beyond awful. People list the Oregon win as an upset, but, if I recall, AU was actually favored to win that game. As several have pointed out in other posts, Gus' offensive stats are made on the backs of pitiful teams. Gus' defense of himself is going to be that he had the toughest schedule in all of Division 1 football and played a true freshman. AU plays Bama, LSU, and Georgia EVERY YEAR. This wasn't some scheduling oddity this year. Oregon was new this year, and I wonder if AU were to play them now would the result be different. Gus had to play a true freshman QB because his QB recruiting has not been too good over the years and this was what he was left with, either Nix or Gatewood, who was a redshirt freshman. And, I don't need to bring up the OL recruiting he's done over the past 7 years. He's having to bring in JUCO players because of his ineptness in signing and developing HS linemen.

If anyone thinks next year is going to be better, you might want to check out AU's roster. The entire OL--which is not too good to begin with--are all seniors, so they're gone. Most of the D line will be gone. In fact, we will probably have a lot of new faces on D next year. I guess that will be his excuse next year so that he can still be here in 2021. 

Gus needs to go. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Gus reels us in then casts us off after reverting back to his old self.

I'm no longer taking the bait. Beating Bama does not change my desire for him too be gone. He may very well be here next season regardless but I'm no longer listening to him talk about how we will compete for championships. As long as he is our coach we are stuck in middle of the SEC pack. Leath is having a long laugh at Auburn right now. 

22 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

All this talk about not firing Gus after a potential 9-win season, but, other than Oregon, just who has Auburn beaten? OK--TAMU, at their house, but I'd hardly list that as a "signature" win. Ole Miss--awful; Miss State--awful; Arkansas--beyond awful. People list the Oregon win as an upset, but, if I recall, AU was actually favored to win that game. As several have pointed out in other posts, Gus' offensive stats are made on the backs of pitiful teams. Gus' defense of himself is going to be that he had the toughest schedule in all of Division 1 football and played a true freshman. AU plays Bama, LSU, and Georgia EVERY YEAR. This wasn't some scheduling oddity this year. Oregon was new this year, and I wonder if AU were to play them now would the result be different. Gus had to play a true freshman QB because his QB recruiting has not been too good over the years and this was what he was left with, either Nix or Gatewood, who was a redshirt freshman. And, I don't need to bring up the OL recruiting he's done over the past 7 years. He's having to bring in JUCO players because of his ineptness in signing and developing HS linemen.

If anyone thinks next year is going to be better, you might want to check out AU's roster. The entire OL--which is not too good to begin with--are all seniors, so they're gone. Most of the D line will be gone. In fact, we will probably have a lot of new faces on D next year. I guess that will be his excuse next year so that he can still be here in 2021. 

Gus needs to go. 

There will be. I am already am hearing next year will be the year he will have to prove himself. Wasn’t that the last two years? Lol

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have the best, most forgiving, nicest and most kind fans in the world.

I swear you were talking about our OL til I got to "fans".

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think Greene is going to be a quick trigger guy and that's all-in-all a good thing.

I agree that's a good thing. However, after 7 years, a firing is not being rash. Gus has proven his inability to adapt to the changing game.  

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

So, you stated your opinion that Gus wouldn’t be fired after a 9-3 season. There is precedent for coaches being fired in seasons where they win 9 games, so in my opinion it could happen. Whether it does or not remains to be seen. 

Fired after a 9-win season without some off field scandal being involved? Les Miles went 9-3, then 2-2 the next year before being fired. That's the closest I can recall to a coach being fired for on-field performance after winning 9 or more games. The others fired after successful seasons were, to the best of my knowledge, involved in some sort of "conduct unbecoming".

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I swear you were talking about our OL til I got to "fans".

Well clearly if I was talking about the OL I would of said MOST DEPTH!!! Haha

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Fired after a 9-win season without some off field scandal being involved? Les Miles went 9-3, then 2-2 the next year before being fired. That's the closest I can recall to a coach being fired for on-field performance after winning 9 or more games. The others fired after successful seasons were, to the best of my knowledge, involved in some sort of "conduct unbecoming".

What was Richt fired for what you are describing after going 9-3?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

What was Richt fired for what you are describing after going 9-3?

That's why I said I can't recall someone being fired after 9-3 without a scandal.

Richt was one in a universe. Are there others?

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's why I said I can't recall someone being fired after 9-3 without a scandal.

Richt was one in a universe. Are there others?

You should know this one by heart! Since you are the main one saying you don't want AU to become the next "Nebraska or Tennessee" at every turn!!! Lol. Frank solich and BO pelini were both fired after winning 9 games. Pelini never won below 9 games at Nebraska.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

You should know this one by heart! Since you are the main one saying you don't want AU to become the next "Nebraska or Tennessee" at every turn!!! Lol. Frank solich and BO pelini were both fired after winning 9 games. Pelini never won below 9 games at Nebraska.

How has Nebraska fared after firing those 9-win coaches?

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not anywhere close to as great as we will. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Not anywhere close to as great as we will. 

Also not anywhere close to how they did before they fired those coaches.

Just now, Mikey said:

Also not anywhere close to how they did before they fired those coaches.

They can hire Nick saban and it won't change the fact they can't recruit great there anymore. Auburn does not have that problem. The coach don't matter at Nebraska. I think Mike Riley is not a good coach and he flamed out appropriately but frost is. It's a talent issue not a coach issue. That's a lot harder to rectify that situation than ours.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How's that hot bed of talent all around Nebraska?

If Grreene means what he says, then he is clueless as to what a true winning head coach is all about. Malzahn is not a proven winner and his Auburn record doesn't lie.

To Allen Greene. Auburn needs a proven head coach who can not only win and win big, but a head coach who can recruit and sign the top high school and JUCO football players. Gus Malzahn is neither of those. 7 years is enough. We need to hire Mario Christobal to put life back into our football program so we can play for SEC and National Championships.

Even if Gus goes 9-3 in the regular season, he'll just fall back to having 8-4 records like always. So the real question is will the Auburn fans like to see Gus turn out more 8 and 5 records because that's what your gonna get from the 7 million dollar High School coach.

Archived