Phillip Marshall Article

twilli13

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/PMARSHONAU-Who-at-Auburn-will-say-follow-me-139007344/Amp/

This Phillip Marshall article so accurately captures what the problem with Auburn football seems to be.... why we cant get to that next level. It's that lack of a killer instinct and commitment to success that's holding Auburn back imo. The only way to get to where we want to be is through tough as nails excellent leadership and I dont think we have it. Not sure we have in my lifetime tbh. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/PMARSHONAU-Who-at-Auburn-will-say-follow-me-139007344/Amp/

This Phillip Marshall article so accurately captures what the problem with Auburn football seems to be.... why we cant get to that next level. It's that lack of a killer instinct and commitment to success that's holding Auburn back imo. The only way to get to where we want to be is through tough as nails excellent leadership and I dont think we have it. Not sure we have in my lifetime tbh. 

Visionary and spot on. Thank you so much for sharing!

He’s right...for a change...

But here’s the dirty little secret about Auburn football that everyone knows but doesn’t wanna talk about...

A significant and at times influential portion of people in positions to affect these things don’t really want Auburn football to be ultra successful...they want exactly what Gus is giving them...consistently decent teams, occasionally beating the big teams(very occasionally), go to a bowl and keep the program clean. Thats it. They’re fine with it. They won’t say it, like many on here but its what they feel.

Because to them Auburn is better than stooping to bama’s level of making football so important. Its unseemly to care so much about athletics at such a fine academic institution as Auburn.  We lost to UGA again? No biggie, those heathens from Athens are too invested in football. We don’t care. We have Tim Cook after all. 

Auburn won’t change until that changes and I don’t know if it will. Its ingrained in our program to play underdog and little brother and the cult like support of Gus from a portion of our “fans” proves it.

We would have to get lucky with a new coach much like Clemson did. If we get a guy who can have sustained success its likely to be by accident and not because anyone at Auburn has vision. 

If Gus is retained this year it proves my point...mediocrity with no hope for improvement is ok...

4 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

It’s more like:

competition from Georgia and Bama

That’ll about do it, if you wanna be real and cut the BS

Not following you. You're saying Bama and Georgia success is holding us back from going to the next level? If so I strongly disagree. We were not a consistently great program before Saban or Smart. They are not what's stopping us. 

2 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Not following you. You're saying Bama and Georgia success is holding us back from going to the next level? If so I strongly disagree. We were not a consistently great program before Saban or Smart. They are not what's stopping us. 

We still choked against Georgia constantly while Richt was there, plus Smart's first year in which they lost to Vanderbilt, Mississippi and Georgia Tech.

I'll say it again, if Gus makes actual good decisions with OL personnel and doesn't lose to A&M in 2014, UG in 2016 and UT last year, I don't think we would be having this convo.

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

But here’s the dirty little secret about Auburn football that everyone knows but doesn’t wanna talk about...

A significant and at times influential portion of people in positions to affect these things don’t really want Auburn football to be ultra successful...they want exactly what Gus is giving them...consistently decent teams, occasionally beating the big teams(very occasionally), go to a bowl and keep the program clean. Thats it. They’re fine with it. They won’t say it, like many on here but its what they feel.

Because to them Auburn is better than stooping to bama’s level of making football so important. Its unseemly to care so much about athletics at such a fine academic institution as Auburn.  We lost to UGA again? No biggie, those heathens from Athens are too invested in football. We don’t care. We have Tim Cook after all. 

Auburn won’t change until that changes and I don’t know if it will. Its ingrained in our program to play underdog and little brother and the cult like support of Gus from a portion of our “fans” proves it.

We would have to get lucky with a new coach much like Clemson did. If we get a guy who can have sustained success its likely to be by accident and not because anyone at Auburn has vision. 

If Gus is retained this year it proves my point...mediocrity with no hope for improvement is ok...

My take was that  Marshall was aluding to that dirty little secret. 

Just now, AUwent said:

We still choked against Georgia constantly while Richt was there, plus Smart's first year in which they lost to Vanderbilt, Mississippi and Georgia Tech.

I wouldnt call choking and competition from those schools the same thing. Choking to me means we lost despite not incredible competition 

8 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Yep disagree all day. The recruiting, schedule, is far more difficult now than what any other Auburn coach has faced. Replace Tubs with Gus, think we kill it back in the day. Gus (and whoever y’all want to take over for him) will have a hell of a job to do with the current state of the SEC west and sec in general. If we could buy us for what we are really worth and sell us for what we think we are worth (as fans) we’d be better off. Not saying we aren’t a top 10-15 program but the climate is far more difficult now than what any Auburn coach has ever faced. Georgia to the East bammer to the west get out of here.

3 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yep disagree all day. The recruiting, schedule, is far more difficult now than what any other Auburn coach has faced. Replace Tubs with Gus, think we kill it back in the day. Gus (and whoever y’all want to take over for him) will have a hell of a job to do with the current state of the SEC west and sec in general. If we could buy us for what we are really worth and sell us for what we think we are worth (as fans) we’d be better off. Not saying we aren’t a top 10-15 program but the climate is far more difficult now than what any Auburn coach has ever faced. Georgia to the East bammer to the west get out of here.

Excuses excuses excuses. Georgia and UAT didn't force him to make completely lazy decisions on the offensive line. Completely no reason we should not have been able to win the three games I mentioned above.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Excuses excuses excuses. Georgia and UAT didn't force him to make completely lazy decisions on the offensive line. Completely no reason we should not have been able to win the three games I mentioned above.

Agree but when Tubs was here Georgia wasn’t that great and Bama was on probation. Now they are both beasts and are our main rivals, that’s great smh

We are not even the bell cow of our own state, it’s Bama 

5 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Agree but when Tubs was here Georgia wasn’t that great and Bama was on probation. Now they are both beasts and are our main rivals, that’s great smh

When did I argue about UAT and UG's quality? I'm saying that it's zero excuse for losing to teams we have zero justification losing to. All we had to do to win 10 games last year was beat five-loss MSU and seven-loss Tennessee. I think many of us understand that knocking heads with the Turds and Leghumpers is a difficult task. But my god, don't make it any harder on yourself; BEAT THE DAMN TEAMS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO!

Much of the anger isn't about just this year. It's about Gus's record up to this point. If he had been making quality personnel decisions, we could give him a pass on this year. But because of his past screw-ups, HE NEEDED A BIG YEAR THIS YEAR. He made his own bed.

17 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Those group of people who are powerful and in charge of things behind the scenes at Auburn are getting up there in age. People who's formative years were from the Dye years to now do not have the same mindset. I am confident when the younger generation takes charge that the thinking will switch up as well. I know it is said time and time again but it really is incredible how much we have accomplished in SPITE of the obstacles we face BY PEOPLE WHO ARE Fans and Alums of Auburn who are the movers and shakers!! We are the biggest sleeping giant in the sport. Literally all we have to do is invest in the program like any top program does. THAT IS IT. And we would be a juggernaut.

12 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Understand your post completely. Then again, has AU not gotten in more hot water in the last 15 years than Bama or GA. The problem is, that in a smaller University such as AU, the President and AD definitely do not have the pull that other larger colleges do. This has been an ongoing issue for 30 plus years with decent seasons sprinkled in. Now due to the last President and AD, whom were told what to do, an enormous contract was handed out to a coach that lost a NC game and got humiliated by GA in SEC championship w a chance to make the playoff. Auburn has consistency, it’s just the consistency for 8 maybe 9 wins a year. 

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

When did I argue about UAT and UG's quality? I'm saying that it's zero excuse for losing to teams we have zero justification losing to. All we had to do to win 10 games last year was beat five-loss MSU and seven-loss Tennessee. I think many of us understand that knocking heads with the Turds and Leghumpers is a difficult task. But my god, don't make it any harder on yourself; BEAT THE DAMN TEAMS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO!

Much of the anger isn't about just this year. It's about Gus's record up to this point. If he had been making quality personnel decisions, we could give him a pass on this year. But because of his past screw-ups, HE NEEDED A BIG YEAR THIS YEAR. He made his own bed.

Bro quit hating on Gus get on the Gus Bus. He fitna beat Bama.

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Bro quit hating on Gus get on the Gus Bus. He fitna beat Bama.

Hey guys, quit complaining!   We're gonna get some coooool new lights!

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-to-install-LED-light-system-at-Jordan-Hare-Stadium-138999995/

2 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

You can see how ingrained it is when posters who are getting paid nothing restate the same rhetoric...

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Understand your post completely. Then again, has AU not gotten in more hot water in the last 15 years than Bama or GA. The problem is, that in a smaller University such as AU, the President and AD definitely do not have the pull that other larger colleges do. This has been an ongoing issue for 30 plus years with decent seasons sprinkled in. Now due to the last President and AD, whom were told what to do, an enormous contract was handed out to a coach that lost a NC game and got humiliated by GA in SEC championship w a chance to make the playoff. Auburn has consistency, it’s just the consistency for 8 maybe 9 wins a year. 

More often than not, the president and AD are the same type of people as the Board, and if we do get a guy that thinks differently (Greene), he gets trumped every time something real needs to change for the football program. There's no guy that would've allowed Gus back if these idiots, his higher ups, didnt force him to. A cutting edge winner isnt going to work here because winning isnt the bottom line

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Those group of people who are powerful and in charge of things behind the scenes at Auburn are getting up there in age. People who's formative years were from the Dye years to now do not have the same mindset. I am confident when the younger generation takes charge that the thinking will switch up as well. I know it is said time and time again but it really is incredible how much we have accomplished in SPITE of the obstacles we face BY PEOPLE WHO ARE Fans and Alums of Auburn who are the movers and shakers!! We are the biggest sleeping giant in the sport. Literally all we have to do is invest in the program like any top program does. THAT IS IT. And we would be a juggernaut.

the sad part is everybody else know this too that's why they want us to keep Gus.

10 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Marshall's article was about lack of strong leadership and vision in the program. Accepting mediocrity. My original post opinioned this lack of exceeding mediocrity was a long term deal caused by lack of killer instinct among leadership. It's not just a now thing. It's been going on a long time. It's about seeing where your competition is at in the current climate and saying I'm going to have the nads and foresight to do what it takes in this environment to exceed them. Auburn has traditionally done a poor job at that. You using the example of plug Gus in back in the day and we do better just proves my point. At that time we knew Tuberville was mediocre and we didnt replace him with someone better. Same thing with now. We accept that Gus is mediocre compared to current competition and we dont have a plan to do better.

And no it's not just about UGA and Bama. It's not like Gus only loses to them every year. He loses 5 games a year basically so there are tons of other losses that he is responsible for. And he loses in a way that is consistent....crappy offense against good teams. That's a Gus thing independent of Georgia and Bama. Hes produced crappy offensive games against Florida, Mississippi State, etc over a long and consistent period. 

We dont have a Georgia and Bama problem. We have a Gus problem. 

30 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Marshall's article was about lack of strong leadership and vision in the program. Accepting mediocrity. My original post opinioned this lack of exceeding mediocrity was a long term deal caused by lack of killer instinct among leadership. It's not just a now thing. It's been going on a long time. It's about seeing where your competition is at in the current climate and saying I'm going to have the nads and foresight to do what it takes in this environment to exceed them. Auburn has traditionally done a poor job at that. You using the example of plug Gus in back in the day and we do better just proves my point. At that time we knew Tuberville was mediocre and we didnt replace him with someone better. Same thing with now. We accept that Gus is mediocre compared to current competition and we dont have a plan to do better.

And no it's not just about UGA and Bama. It's not like Gus only loses to them every year. He loses 5 games a year basically so there are tons of other losses that he is responsible for. And he loses in a way that is consistent....crappy offense against good teams. That's a Gus thing independent of Georgia and Bama. Hes produced crappy offensive games against Florida, Mississippi State, etc over a long and consistent period. 

And who are we going to gamble on to fix that problem? Not to many out there that can certainly come in and beat LSU UGA and Bama on the regular. Maybe Urban Myer but the stresses of the sec retired him once already. Grass ain’t always greener.

if Gus was in the ACC he’d be undefeated and y’all be wanting to hire him. If Dabo was in coaching at Auburn with our schedule he’d do about the same as Gus.

Today ain’t hate on Gus day. Like Enzo says  “y’all a Cuppa haters “

21 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Makes me pine for the days when Bobby Lowder was willing to load up a plane and go get us a real coach.  I'll never forgive Jay G. Tate for breaking the news early on Petrino.

23 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

And who are we going to gamble on to fix that problem? Not to many out there that can certainly come in and beat LSU UGA and Bama on the regular.

We don't beat them on the regular now. Gus is a known commodity and that commodity provides poor results. Why settle with something that you know can't get the job done? Take a risk, move forward, and change the future. 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We don't beat them on the regular now. Gus is a known commodity and that commodity provides poor results. Why settle with something that you know can't get the job done? Take a risk, move forward, and change the future. 

I agree, the problem is obviously the fear of the unknown.  This year we are not beating our big 3 (4) but we’re close...   

If Gus would have been able to recruit on the O side (like we have on the D) we’d be splitting these games with the top 3 (4).    So the thought is fix that and we can win.  

Is Gus evolving easier than starting over?     

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Weather the storm. We could easily be in a worse situation. The Mississippi programs are back in the dumps. Luke is doing a heck of a job holding that disaster, he was left with, together. I’m sure they’ll fire him because the average fans won’t understand the full scope of the job. Now Moorehead needs to be fired. I feel certain Gus in the ACC would easily have 10 win seasons. The Auburn job is not an easy one, I believe it’s the most difficult to meet fan expectations. Just being rational. I think we would be truly gambling on any other coach. Gus wins just 1 of those games this year and the fan outlook would be different. Next year is setting up as a disaster for ole Gus, I doubt he’ll make it. My big issue with him is oline recruiting. He gets a F. It will likely cost him his job next year when the zit pops.

Archived