direction of our program

tigerman1186

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm tired of the comparison arguments. Look at Gus individual and the dude consistently finishes with 4 losses; now ask yourself if you're okay with that being our average? Now, if you're okay with a bunch of 4-5 loss seasons with the occasional solid performance that's another thing; but then are you okay with 0 wins against ranked bowl opponents?

How anyone is okay with him at this point is beyond me.
I absolutely HATE the stupid "how could we get a coach with ridiculous expectations." We are a damn dream job and some fans need to acknowledge that. Our only flaw as a program is being behind in facilities perpetually.

See, I used to think like you. But after this marathon of a ride under Gus and seeing the folks on here and twitter and some Auburn fans I know in real life, I now understand that they DO enjoy 4-5 loss seasons and are perfectly fine with it as long as we beat bama here and there and go to a bowl. Don’t even have to win the bowl, just go. Its sad but its so much of our fan base its sad.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

See, I used to think like you. But after this marathon of a ride under Gus and seeing the folks on here and twitter and some Auburn fans I know in real life, I now understand that they DO enjoy 4-5 loss seasons and are perfectly fine with it as long as we beat bama here and there and go to a bowl. Don’t even have to win the bowl, just go. Its sad but its so much of our fan base its sad.

Neahhhh  ;D  Tide is turning. :wareagle: 

17 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Then no one could possibly be OK with any AU coach of the modern era. From Jordan to Malzahn...all bums.

Coach Dye...12 seasons...had only 5 4 loss or more seasons...2 of which were his last two years under the cloud of NCAA issues...had 4 double digit win seasons, a 9 win season with only 1 loss(2ties), 3 Sugar Bowls, 4 SEC Titles and moved the Iron Bowl to Auburn...not a bum...

Baby Bowden had 3 double digit ( correction here, 2 double digit win years and a 9 win with 1 loss and. a tie)win seasons in 5 (part of a 6th seasons...)

Tubs started his Auburn career with 5 straight 4 or more loss seasons and we were ready to cut him loose...but then he beat bama and was kept...which kinda proves dyehard’s point about how we over value beating those idiots...and he did manage to reel off 3 straight 3 loss or less seasons including the unbeaten 04 team...

Auburn has the potential to be better. Our past shouldn’t dictate our future. If we’re destined to just be a 4 loss program then why even bother? Might as well keep Ol Four Loss Malzahn since he’s giving so many of you precisely what you want and expect from our program.

15 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Neahhhh  ;D  Tide is turning. :wareagle: 

I hope so but I’m not as optimistic as you. We beat bama and its like everyone forgot how close we were to being in the playoff with any semblance of offense in those other games. What did beating bama get us besides a few days of bragging rights? 

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

I hope so but I’m not as optimistic as you. We beat bama and its like everyone forgot how close we were to being in the playoff with any semblance of offense in those other games. What did beating bama get us besides a few days of bragging rights? 

It lasted as long as New Year's Day.  Then, the Band-aid peeled off.  

15 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Then no one could possibly be OK with any AU coach of the modern era. From Jordan to Malzahn...all bums.

Be a little more reasonable than this. Fans are aggravated and tired of seeing opportunity and talent wasted each and every year. Fans are tired of watching the HC struggle on the side of the ball he was hired for from the get go and refuse to change it. The offense doesn't have to be trendsetting or cutting edge, it just needs to be consistently successful. Maybe it changes with CM or maybe it doesn't and fans have every reason to doubt change given Malzahn's past decisions. 

1 minute ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Be a little more reasonable than this. Fans are aggravated and tired of seeing opportunity and talent wasted each and every year. Fans are tired of watching the HC struggle on the side of the ball he was hired for from the get go and refuse to change it. The offense doesn't have to be trendsetting or cutting edge, it just needs to be consistently successful. Maybe it changes with CM or maybe it doesn't and fans have every reason to doubt change given Malzahn's past decisions. 

Good answer.  Addresses hyperbole well.  Hyperbole weakens points.  Related image

12 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Well I got a high five at work that next Monday lol

30 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Nah you don't get to make the rules of the universe. 

11 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Nah you don't get to make the rules of the universe. 

I'm not. The "4 losses is unacceptable" crowd is.  Name the last AU coach to average 9 wins or more a season over a minimum of five seasons?  The last to average three of fewer losses over five seasons? I'll wait here...

15 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I'm not the one setting the standard. You and others are.  I'm just pointing out that each and every coach of the modern era would be unacceptable to your crowd. Shug Jordan would have been run out of town instead of having his name on the stadium.

Gus excels against inferior competition. He suffers when he has to scheme, or change a game plan to adjust to what the defense is doing, when playing evenly matched or better teams. He is either stubborn, dumb, fearful, or a combination of all three. I never understood why he goes away from the player with the hot hand or the type of plays that are working, to run off tackle for nothing. He just doesn't make sense in big games, and sometimes against inferior competition. I have heard numerous commentators that know the x's and o's of football, question his play calling, on more than one occasion. The direction of our program is mediocre. That is exactly where we are. I watch Auburn football for the players sake. He is a good man, but out of his league, and overpaid. 

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

I'm not. The "4 losses is unacceptable" crowd is.  Name the last AU coach to average 9 wins or more a season over a minimum of five seasons?  The last to average three of fewer losses over five seasons? I'll wait here...

Thats the whole point. You’re proving our point. 4 losses SHOULD be unacceptable but since your ilk believes thats all our school is capable of then I guess you should just stop watching.

And to answer your question Bowden averaged 9 wins and less than 3 losses from 93-97 and Dye did it from 86-90.

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I'm not the one setting the standard. You and others are.  I'm just pointing out that each and every coach of the modern era would be unacceptable to your crowd. Shug Jordan would have been run out of town instead of having his name on the stadium.

Different eras, different situations, stupid comparisons.

15 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Those are whippings. Tell me how many games Dye or Bowden lost by not knowing how football works?

If Clemson can do it we can do it. They recruit against the same teams we do and yet here they are in their 4th National Title game in 5 seasons. The ACC helps but they get it done when it counts most. 

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I've never set a specific standard that I can recall on this board. I don't classify myself in a certain crowd either. Fans who are setting standards are justified with the amount of talent on the field now. Tuberville never recruited at this level, he averaged between the mid-teens to 20's, and the win-loss records proved that for most of his tenure. I'm not trying to give a recruiting history lesson here but if you're bringing in top 10 talent then naturally expectations rise within the fan base. Most expectations I've seen are consistent 10 win seasons and CC appearances, that's not outside the realm of possibility considering the talent AU has brought in.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Name the last coach not named Chizik recruiting at this level. It's not that 4 losses are unacceptable, it's the consistent 4 loss seasons.

guy has a 5 star QB (and had a high 4 star athlete behind him), the highest rising RB in the last recruiting cycle, a bevy of 4/5 star receivers, and wasted them (against respectable defenses)

one of the excuses is he has a poor OL but he, per this forum, handpicks what type of OLmen are considered and relied on a guy who was done recruiting...to recruit...the most important position in his offense. the other excuse is youth but before this year, Gus has done a bad job of even attempting to garner quality depth for the youngins. I cant for the life of me understand why people still believe this guy to be unflappable.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Forgive us for wanting to take that next step and not continuously live in the “when was the last coach to average 9 wins in 5 seasons”. Some us want AU to take that next step instead of settling for mediocrity and the “great” season here and there.

4+ losses in 6 of 7 years for a top 5 paid coach, yes, that is unacceptable.

lets also not forget, instead of prepping for the biggest game of the year, that could send us to the playoff, our coach was maneuvering for a contract extension.

39 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

guy has a 5 star QB (and had a high 4 star athlete behind him), the highest rising RB in the last recruiting cycle, a bevy of 4/5 star receivers, and wasted them (against respectable defenses)

one of the excuses is he has a poor OL but he, per this forum, handpicks what type of OLmen are considered and relied on a guy who was done recruiting...to recruit...the most important position in his offense. the other excuse is youth but before this year, Gus has done a bad job of even attempting to garner quality depth for the youngins. I cant for the life of me understand why people still believe this guy to be unflappable.

I said it before the season, and I’ll say it again. With bo as the starter JG could’ve taken a ton of pressure off of him, but of course, we didn’t 

I will never ever understand the fans who think AU cannot be a consistently great program. Are you kidding me? We have shown flashes with every below average-average coach since Dye. That is a example of how great AU can be when even with non top tier coaches we show flashes of brilliance. 

But to answer the question AU will continue to be a roller coaster ride till we hire a top tier coach or a guy who will become a top tier coach who can make us consistently great which is honestly our birthright. Football is just a much harder sport than basketball at making hires. It is a lot more of a crap shoot. There is a lot less actual good football coaches out there than basketball. We just got to get lucky.

Got to keep stepping up to the plate and swing for the fences. Enough of these watching the ball go by with the bats on our shoulders. I am not at all skurrrrrrrrrrrred about making a change. I laugh at the people who are scared to move on from 4 loss Gus. I mean do people really enjoy losing 4 games every season? It is not that big of a risk to me.........

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will never ever understand the fans who think AU cannot be a consistently great program. Are you kidding me? We have shown flashes with every below average-average coach since Dye. That is a example of how great AU can be when even with non top tier coaches we show flashes of brilliance. 

But to answer the question AU will continue to be a roller coaster ride till we hire a top tier coach or a guy who will become a top tier coach who can make us consistently great which is honestly our birthright. Football is just a much harder sport than basketball at making hires. It is a lot more of a crap shoot. There is a lot less actual good football coaches out there than basketball.

Some people are just ok being average, and that’s cool, I guess 

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Some people are just ok being average, and that’s cool, I guess 

Not cool at all. If we were Wake Forest then sure WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Live it up with the kind of seasons we have! lol. We are freaking AUBURN BAY BAY!!!! We are not some little spark plug program. We are the biggest sleeping giant in the sport. So many of our fans think we are a perpetual underdog and it drives me CRAAAAAAAAZYYYYYY BROOOOOO!!!!!!!! hahahaha. They are obsessed by being the freaking underdog.

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Name the last Auburn coach to make top 10 money, have top 10 facilities, have a top 10 brand, or the capability of perennial top 10 classes? I'll wait.

Auburn's program has advanced. If your standards for AU are stuck in 1978, I suggest rooting for Michigan State or South Carolina or some other program that occasionally puts together a decent team. 

Times change. Circumstances change. Expectations change. We have steadily been going up as a national power since Bo went over the top. To believe otherwise is an insult to the Dye championship teams, the 93-94 Bowden teams, the 04 team, the 2010 team, and the good Malzahn teams.

It's. Time. For. Auburn. To. Win. Consistently. RIGHT. NOW. 

Archived