looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

At this point Gus keeps falling backwards in to good choices when making these hires in hiring former AU players. It is the laziest and most meh possible hire but I can't complain about the results. Twill is a great recruiter. Kodi is a good to really good recruiter and Caddy is off to a great start in crutin. So hey maybe that is the formula to stack as many former AU players as possible on staff. It seems to be working. *Knocks on wood*. Of course that is not even mentioning the OG RG who has a long history of being a great recruiter. It would be such a meh hire but I don't care as long as it works out.

I can talk with a little inside authority on whether Kodi is a good recruiter...both of our top receivers signed with Clemson and we are only 30 miles from AU...KODI IS RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR AREA...he is not well received by players or coaches...

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KLEMM...not sure Simmons wants the recruiting grind but he would be my second choice

1 hour ago, 1913-14 said:

I can talk with a little inside authority on whether Kodi is a good recruiter...both of our top receivers signed with Clemson and we are only 30 miles from AU...KODI IS RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR AREA...he is not well received by players or coaches...

Not surprising to hear.

So I was reading an article posted on the NY Post about Joe Judge and his coaching staff. 

You guys are gonna be shocked as to who is on the list in that article about potential offensive coaches for Judge.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/08/digging-into-joe-judges-mysterious-giants-coaching-staff/

"J.B. Grimes: Grimes has no NFL experience in nearly four decades of coaching, but he just resigned at Auburn to “pursue other opportunities.” Mysterious. He was the offensive line coach at Mississippi State from 2004 to 2008, overlapping with Judge’s final playing days and early coaching days."

:laugh:

On 1/8/2020 at 6:50 AM, McLoofus said:

Why specifically is he qualified?

What specific information did you base your prediction off of? I mean, the JB stepping down part was easy. Why did you predict Simmons as his successor? What has he done in the last two years to make you think he is ready to take JB's place?

To be  fair I am ready to take JB's place.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So I was reading an article posted on the NY Post about Joe Judge and his coaching staff. 

You guys are gonna be shocked as to who is on the list in that article about potential offensive coaches for Judge.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/08/digging-into-joe-judges-mysterious-giants-coaching-staff/

"J.B. Grimes: Grimes has no NFL experience in nearly four decades of coaching, but he just resigned at Auburn to “pursue other opportunities.” Mysterious. He was the offensive line coach at Mississippi State from 2004 to 2008, overlapping with Judge’s final playing days and early coaching days."

:laugh:

It would be awesome if he left and showed everyone he's an awesome coach and exposed how many really don't know what the hell they are talking about

I don't know what I am talking about regarding players, but I want an NFL guy this go-round for reasons I have already stated.

Time to quit trying to reinvent the wheel here.   An O unit is built from the line outward.   

Wonder why Arkansas's new coach, Pittman didn't keep Fry on the staff. Fry was on Morris's staff from 2017-2019. If I recall, Arkansas did not have a good offense in a long while.

So, my question is this--

Often in the past, once it is announced a coach is leaving, the announcement about his replacement comes a few hours later. Why the delay naming a replacement this time? Was it Grimes decision to leave and Malzahn wasn't planning on making a change?

The last several pages are people arguing over which OL coach was worse. Can't we just agree that they were both subpar? Hopefully Gus makes a good hire here. I'd be fine with Pugh. He worked with Jeff Grimes for several years, the guy who built a beastly OL for Cam out of 2 and 3 star talent. From what we know for sure, he's a risk. But I could see him being an excellent OL coach. That said, it is probably going to be someone we don't expect, possibly someone that's more connected to Morris than Gus. 

43 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

So, my question is this--

Often in the past, once it is announced a coach is leaving, the announcement about his replacement comes a few hours later. Why the delay naming a replacement this time? Was it Grimes decision to leave and Malzahn wasn't planning on making a change?

Herb turned him down so he's reaching back out to JB...

15 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

Multiple insiders have said the same, but it seems a lot of our fans that knows everything doesn’t want to know this. Apparently it doesn’t fit their agenda. Also we’ve been told many times by these same insiders that “the way Kodi handled moving to receiver” isn’t this great heroic deed that most want to believe. 

Gus needs to start looking for a new WR coach. Kodi Burns has lost out on too many 4 and 5 star WR's in the last few years. George Pickens being one of them.

33 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus needs to start looking for a new WR coach. Kodi Burns has lost out on too many WR's in the last few years. George Pickens being one of them.

Again, lots of staffs in flux from the NFL.   Auburn needs to inject some new blood and energy on that side of the staff (in addition to C Morris).   

on a side note - are there any rumors  Brady will get poached from LSU next week?  Sure would be nice if he left and Burrows too.

18 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Again, lots of staffs in flux from the NFL.   Auburn needs to inject some new blood and energy on that side of the staff (in addition to C Morris).   

on a side note - are there any rumors  Brady will get poached from LSU next week?  Sure would be nice if he left and Burrows too.

I read somewhere where Orgeron felt that Brady was committed to one more year at LSU.

44 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Callahan wouldn't be a bad hire for us. Klemm is still my top choice though.

Who's Klemm? Sorry for my naivety.

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

I don't know what I am talking about regarding players, but I want an NFL guy this go-round for reasons I have already stated.

Time to quit trying to reinvent the wheel here.   An O unit is built from the line outward.   

Who’s to say that a good NFL coach will be a good recruiter. And I am not just trying to disagree with you!

We're going to be completely starting over from scratch on the OL this year and our recruiting has been abysmal at the position. We NEED a proven coach at the position. One that can both recruit and coach. Frankly, we should be able to find SOMEONE around the country that meets those qualifications. We shouldn't have to go sign an alum with virtually zero experience. We're not Ball State.

Even if we have to pay $1M/year for a position coach, so be it. Whoever it is will need to fix the ****hole we've dug ourselves in and it's going to take a couple years to get there. Surely we can find a quality coach if we're paying Top 5 money for the job.

2 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Surely we can find a quality coach if we're paying Top 5 money for the job.

You bring up a point that I've been curious about.  Does Gus have the financial support to pay Top 5 money for a position coach or has he been fed all of the rope he's going to be fed?  We've already gone the budget route once with Morris.

Last years Top 10 Highest Paid OL Coaches:

1. Sam Pittman, Georgia — $825,000
2. Will Friend, Tennessee — $805,000
3. Bill Bedenbaugh, Oklahoma — $750,000
4. Joe Rudolph, Wisconsin^ — $720,000
5. Greg Frey, Florida State — $675,000
6. Justin Frye, UCLA — $650,000
6. Herb Hand, Texas — $650,000
8. Mike Summers, Louisville — $632,000
9. Jim Turner, Texas A&M — $600,000
9. Eric Wolford, South Carolina — $600,000

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You bring up a point that I've been curious about.  Does Gus have the financial support to pay Top 5 money for a position coach or has he been fed all of the rope he's going to be fed?  

If he doesn't have the money for quality coaches, then he really is a dead man walking and we're just delaying the inevitable at our own detriment. Either your foot needs to be on the gas or on the brake, but to let it coast for an entire extra year is just a slow painful death.

Archived