looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Brian Callahan... ring ring ring 

As in OC for the Bengals? If so what in the world makes you think he would leave an NFL job as OC to be a OL coach in college? 

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Brian Callahan... ring ring ring 

Is he a great recruiter? We need that more than anything at the position now. We are so far behind of where we should be in Fielding a good sec OL. 

Robbie Caldwell is the dream hire and him and Chad both came to Clemson at the same time in 2011 but I doubt he leaves Clemson and honestly why would he?

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hate we missed out on Matt Luke 

Ugh, don't dig in that open wound....so soon.

I was calling for Luke soon after his dismissal at Ole Miss and just knew Kirby was going to snatch him up with the quickness. 

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As in OC for the Bengals? If so what in the world makes you think he would leave an NFL job as OC to be a OL coach in college? 

The Minnesota OL coach... is there another Brian Callahan? 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The Minnesota OL coach... is there another Brian Callahan? 

I just highlighted the name you said and the entire first page is about Cincinnati Bengals OC Brian Callahan. 

Your response makes much more sense now. LoL my bad bud.

Screenshot_20200107-203222_Chrome.jpg

I honestly believe Grimes is an OK coach, but not a great coach. After Herb Hand, we really needed a great coach, someone who could really turn the OL room around quickly. Herb Hand was probably the 2nd worst hire Gus has done, behind Ellis Johnson of course. It took two great hires to fix Ellis Johnson's mess. We should've taken the OL hiring more seriously after Hand left.

Which is something that still irks me. The fact that Herb Hand went up and left on his own accord, after we gave him a contract extension (if I recall correctly). Why the actual hell was he not fired after the terrible job he did in 2017. I thought for sure he was done after the UCF game. I mean, our OL got manhandled by UCF, what more do I need to say.

The way Gus has handled hiring OL coaches is very concerning. I'm just gonna leave it at that. Hopefully he redeems himself here.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Bill Taylor= player/coach

You probably are in the same zip code. With how Gus hires he will probably go after Ryan Pugh at Troy. And yes I know he's OC in name but he doesn't call plays. I'm sure if Gus wanted him bad enough he could get him with the standard Troy to AU pay bump.

Very interested in seeing or hearing from Bird and/or JMR on who they think would be a good, viable and realistic candidate for this job knowing everything they know about Gus and who is available out there. Also, if PTB has any inside info on who Auburn might be looking at or have on a list. TIA

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You probably are in the same zip code. With how Gus hires he will probably go after Ryan Pugh at Troy. And yes I know he's OC in name but he doesn't call plays. I'm sure if Gus wanted him bad enough he could get him with the standard Troy to AU pay bump.

Yup, I'll lay it out there.....

The most "Malzahn" hire would be Ryan Pugh and the most "Morris" hire would be Dustin Fry. 

*that's not necessarily indicative of either coach's abilities but following the trends

(eta - damn, I totally thought of that as soon as I heard the news, and see that BM has already posted the same thoughts on das Bunker, lol....it's just so JABA)

8 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Yup, I'll lay it out there.....

The most "Malzahn" hire would be Ryan Pugh and the most "Morris" hire would be Dustin Fry. 

*that's not necessarily indicative of either coach's abilities but following the trends

At this point Gus keeps falling backwards in to good choices when making these hires in hiring former AU players. It is the laziest and most meh possible hire but I can't complain about the results. Twill is a great recruiter. Kodi is a good to really good recruiter and Caddy is off to a great start in crutin. So hey maybe that is the formula to stack as many former AU players as possible on staff. It seems to be working. *Knocks on wood*. Of course that is not even mentioning the OG RG who has a long history of being a great recruiter. It would be such a meh hire but I don't care as long as it works out.

Archived