Even Year = Gus is CEO

dyehardfanAU

Well gang, let the scapegoating begin.  Gus has announced Chad Morris will call plays next season.

Anyone paying attention knew this would happen since Gus is OC in odd years and CEO in even years.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon guys, Gus is still learning to be a head coach.  Cut him some slack, he's only had 8 years of experience.  

trtry.gif

Look at it this way: If we win 15 games the bashers can say Morris deserves all the credit. After the first loss and then continuing throughout the rest of the season the bashers can cuss and blame it on Gus. Win/win for the anti-Gus group.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Look at it this way: WHEN we win 15 games the bashers can say Morris deserves all the credit. After the first loss and then continuing throughout the rest of the season the bashers can cuss and blame it on Gus. Win/win for the anti-Gus group.

FTFY 😉

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Look at it this way: If we win 15 games the bashers can say Morris deserves all the credit. After the first loss and then continuing throughout the rest of the season the bashers can cuss and blame it on Gus. Win/win for the anti-Gus group.

You really raise the quality of discourse around here, Mikey. Way to add valuable content to the conversation. 

If we win 15 games in 2020, it will 100% be because Gus ceded most of the control of the offense to somebody who knows what he's doing. And that person will get credit for the offense working, and Gus will get credit for finally putting a stop to his ego ruining what should have been great seasons. Literally the only thing preventing Gus from being discussed in the same breath as the great coaches in the game is his lack of self awareness and the humility to let someone else get it right. He'd rather some play that he drew up with his salt and pepper shakers win one particular down than his football team win a game with somebody else's play calls. 

Not sure why you so badly want your fellow fans to be inferior people, but you only degrade yourself and others' opinions of you with stuff like this.  Here's to hoping that you can be less obsessed with other fans and refocus your thoughts on football while posting in this forum. 

Gus started out as the play caller, then went to CEO, then last season back to the play caller, and now back to CEO.  I wonder how much longer it will be until he decides what he wants to be when he grows up?  

6 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Gus started out as the play caller, then went to CEO, then last season back to the play caller, and now back to CEO.  I wonder how much longer it will be until he decides what he wants to be when he grows up?  

I think his problem was letting other people (PTB types) tell him how to run his program. He's a play caller, he should have stuck with that throughout and sunk or swam with the results. Consistency is important.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I think his problem was letting other people (PTB types) tell him how to run his program. He's a play caller, he should have stuck with that throughout and sunk or swam with the results. Consistency is important.

I agree that he’s a play caller, but I question why he’s giving it up again, when it failed the first time around.  Maybe he can sharpen his mind by observing CM performing his magic.  

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

If we are a consistent 4-5 loss team over a 7 year period and we bring in one coach that takes over the offense and we go 15-0, then I would say that the single variable that changed is the reason for the different result. Wouldn't you? That doesn't mean Gus wouldn't deserve credit for allowing that change to take place.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If we are a consistent 4-5 loss team over a 7 year period and we bring in one coach that takes over the offense and we go 15-0, then I would say that the single variable that changed is the reason for the different result. Wouldn't you? That doesn't mean Gus wouldn't deserve credit for allowing that change to take place.

Does anyone think Ed Orgeron is sitting around feeling sorry for himself because Joe Brady has taken so much credit for their success on offense this past season? The best thing that could happen to Gus is for Chad Morris to come in and revolutionize the offense. Gus, just like Ed, would be lauded for making the switch. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Does anyone think Ed Orgeron is sitting around feeling sorry for himself because Joe Brady has taken so much credit for their success on offense this past season? The best thing that could happen to Gus is for Chad Morris to come in and revolutionize the offense. Gus, just like Ed, would be lauded for making the switch. 

O is crying all the way to the bank with his Natty and Coach of the Year awards.    Humility works. 

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Exactly.

Brady gets credit for the performance and turn around and O gets credit for the vision, willingness, and the wins.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Exactly.

Brady gets credit for the performance and turn around and O gets credit for the vision, willingness, and the wins.

We see it every season on the other side of the ball. Gus has gotten tons of praise for hiring Steele and staying out of his way. Same for Muschamp. He would likely get even more praise for doing it on his side of the ball. For all of our critiquing and begging, I think we all understand that it would be difficult for a lot of guys in his position. 

Instead of asking, "Does it bother Gus to lose?", perhaps we should have asked, "Is Gus willing to be great?" Yet to be determined. 

4 hours ago, gctiger said:

I agree that he’s a play caller, but I question why he’s giving it up again, when it failed the first time around.  Maybe he can sharpen his mind by observing CM performing his magic.  

Seriously? 

First off he had always had a hand in the offense. It didn't matter who the OC was. Secondly Morris isnt in the same stratosphere as the other "OCs" we have had under Malzahn. Even Lindsey, who had prior P5 OC experience didnt hold a candle to Morris as an OC. And regardless what some on here say, we did NOT run Chip Lindsey's offense the entire time he was here. All you have to do to know this as FACT is watch his offenses at Southern Mississippi, Arizona State, and even Troy. They wont resemble the offenses we ran while Lindsey was our OC...

Anyway... you dont hire an elite OC to hold the same responsibilities as Kenny Dillingham. Dilly Dilly was a GA just a couple years before being named our OC...which does not compare to what Morris has done previously as OC.

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Seriously? 

First off he had always had a hand in the offense. It didn't matter who the OC was. Secondly Morris isnt in the same stratosphere as the other "OCs" we have had under Malzahn. Even Lindsey, who had prior P5 OC experience didnt hold a candle to Morris as an OC. And regardless what some on here say, we did NOT run Chip Lindsey's offense the entire time he was here. All you have to do to know this as FACT is watch his offenses at Southern Mississippi, Arizona State, and even Troy. They wont resemble the offenses we ran while Lindsey was our OC...

Anyway... you dont hire an elite OC to hold the same responsibilities as Kenny Dillingham. Dilly Dilly was a GA just a couple years before being named our OC...which does not compare to what Morris has done previously as OC.

I’d be willing to bet a steak dinner that when Gus turns the play calling over to CM that the play selection still has Gus’s fingerprints all over it.  My point is that Gus’s ego, won’t ever let him turnover OC responsibilities to an OC, so it likely doesn’t matter who the OC is.  It hasn’t made any difference in the past, and it won’t matter in the future.  

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I’d be willing to bet a steak dinner that when Gus turns the play calling over to CM that the play selection still has Gus’s fingerprints all over it.  My point is that Gus’s ego, won’t ever let him turnover OC responsibilities to an OC, so it likely doesn’t matter who the OC is.  It hasn’t made any difference in the past, and it won’t matter in the future.  

There is logic that suggests it will be different this time, but it's not as compelling to me as the experience suggesting that it won't.

Exactly.

I am legitimately asking: would we though?  If you recall, it was very common to strip Gus of his wins with Chip here.  Instead we said the only reason we won was Chip called the plays, and we lost it was Gus.  I have a feeling this will repeat.  Or the only reason we won in 2010 was Cam, or Marshall in 2013.  That is a concern just due to the history.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You really raise the quality of discourse around here, Mikey. Way to add valuable content to the conversation. 

If we win 15 games in 2020, it will 100% be because Gus ceded most of the control of the offense to somebody who knows what he's doing. And that person will get credit for the offense working, and Gus will get credit for finally putting a stop to his ego ruining what should have been great seasons. Literally the only thing preventing Gus from being discussed in the same breath as the great coaches in the game is his lack of self awareness and the humility to let someone else get it right. He'd rather some play that he drew up with his salt and pepper shakers win one particular down than his football team win a game with somebody else's play calls. 

Not sure why you so badly want your fellow fans to be inferior people, but you only degrade yourself and others' opinions of you with stuff like this.  Here's to hoping that you can be less obsessed with other fans and refocus your thoughts on football while posting in this forum. 

Yes! We could have Joe freaking Brady and he will find a way to meddle!

48 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I feel exactly the same. 

I'm "Missouri" when it comes to any OC having control over the offense as long as Gus is our coach.

But my point is, we have never had an OC in the same stratosphere as Morris. Not only is Morris infinitely more experienced than all of our other "OCs" combined, he is already inside the Gus "circle of trust" so he is someone Gus already trusts. Morris is also one of the few coaches in the profession that Gus considers a "friend." 

This is a perfect storm (so to speak.) 

Morris has all the ingredients that Gus needs to let Morris control the ship. He trusts Morris. He considers Morris a friend. They vacation together... Morris runs the same type of offense as Gus. 

The difference  between Arkansas Morris and Clemson Morris was the athletes he was able to field. Morris will have control over an offense already recruited for his system (unlike he had at Arkansas) and the quality of athletes he will field at Auburn are infinitely better than any player he inherited at Arkansas. 

Morris needs to rebuild his image. There was no place better for either to land.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly.

In fairness though, O has been in college and pro coaching since 84 and even admitted that he didn't figure out the CEO style till he was interim at USC in 13. He originally thought for most of his career that he had to be involved and micromanage. Experience and hard lessons made him who he is as a coach now.

Archived