2020 3* QB Sawyer Pate Commits to AU as a PWO

autan

Kid is really good. Has great timing on his slants and has a big arm. Very surprised he wasn't more heavily recruited or higher ranked. I thin  the Hewitt game tis year was his only game that was kind of off. He lit Hoover up twice. Happy to have him and the kicker who is also very good.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Looking for perspective regarding expectations...Is he more talented than Will Appleton was?

Going by my limited observation, Appleton was a solid 3-deep backup QB who could have played without embarrassing himself had he been called upon. That's what you'd hope to get out of a walkon, so if Pate can do that he'll be a plus. Any more than that will be a bonus.  

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Going by my limited observation, Appleton was a solid 3-deep backup QB who could have played without embarrassing himself had he been called upon. That's what you'd hope to get out of a walkon, so if Pate can do that he'll be a plus. Any more than that will be a bonus.  

I agree with you Mikey but in watching this kid he is better than Appleton or at least appears to be to my uneducated eyes.  That said I don't have any unrealistic expectations of him.

you know who he reminds me of?  Recruiting - wise....

DJ Williams - came on late, late in the cycle and didn't get any offers from D1 schools.

I know this is unlikely,  but if he grows just an inch or a bit so he can see more, he really could develop into a player.

I wonder if he can pick up the offense and all the nuances that Chad Morris requires.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sawyer Pate is the Wade Christopher of Will Appletons. He only came here because he wanted Bill Taylor snapping him the ball. 

Bar is set now, no turning back. 

Am I the only one thinking Sawyer Pate sounds like a golfer's name? 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Sawyer Pate sounds like the breakout star of a Indy movie that gets a Oscar nomination at a young age. Think the male version of Tatum O'Neal! lol.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Sawyer Pate sounds like the breakout star of a Indy movie that gets a Oscar nomination at a young age. Think the male version of Tatum O'Neal! lol.

Also sounds like a country bumpkin who likes Auburn for the hunting & fishing around here.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, McLoofus said:

Sawyer Pate is the Wade Christopher of Will Appletons. He only came here because he wanted Bill Taylor snapping him the ball. 

I loved your post but let’s be honest. He came because he knew Bill Taylor would be protecting his blind side

On 2/4/2020 at 12:53 PM, gr82be said:

You are thinking of Pensacola native Jerry Pate.    I think he won a major (US Open?), maybe two.   I am working from memory, but I am very  close.

21 minutes ago, Beaker said:

You are thinking of Pensacola native Jerry Pate.    I think he won a major (US Open?), maybe two.   I am working from memory, but I am very  close.

I was just meaning in general but yes, kinda sorta. Pate was a good one. 

16 hours ago, fredst said:

I loved your post but let’s be honest. He came because he knew Bill Taylor would be protecting his blind side

WHEN PATE'S IN THE GAME THAT STRONG SIDE END GONNA RIDE A 226 POUND PAIN TRAIN TO TAYLOR TOWN!!!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

WHEN PATE'S IN THE GAME THAT STRONG SIDE END GONNA RIDE A 226 POUND PAIN TRAIN TO TAYLOR TOWN!!!

I know everybody is kidding Mikey about Taylor being an O-Line option as opposed to a long snapper but if by some miracle he had to actually play in the O-Line he would play his heart out despite being undersized. Other teams try to blast long snappers hoping to get in their heads and cause a bad snap. This kid handles it. I know nobody is trying to disparage Taylor but I just wanted him to know how much we appreciate him despite the humorous jabs at Mikey.

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know everybody is kidding Mikey about Taylor being an O-Line option as opposed to a long snapper but if by some miracle he had to actually play in the O-Line he would play his heart out despite being undersized. Other teams try to blast long snappers hoping to get in their heads and cause a bad snap. This kid handles it. I know nobody is trying to disparage Taylor but I just wanted him to know how much we appreciate him despite the humorous jabs at Mikey.

Absolutely.

Also, long snappers are some of the smartest dudes in the game. They figured out a way to do the thing while only having to be on the field for, what, 10 plays a game? Get a degree, maybe get some NFL paychecks, still be able to walk and remember your kids' names when you're 65. Respect, gentlemen.

Stats were all for his senior year.  Had very little playing time before this past season.  A late bloomer I guess you could say. A couple of posters note that Power 5 programs usually target their QBs during their sophomore or junior years at the latest. Lucky for us.  Far and away our best walkon QB in my memory.

After watching his film, he reminds me of a very young Drew Brees. 

Not real big, but once he locks in that ball comes out quick and pretty hard. He shows a knack for moving around in the pocket and finding a receiver and gets it there quick.

Interesting to see how he looks against SEC type defenses. 

Does look like one of our best walk ons w/ a shot at getting a scholarship by Nix's JR year...

• 3 weeks later...

Pate has a chance of being a great pickup for our offense. I just hope Gus will play him and not just when the game is out of reach.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonder if the NCAA will change their minds and give another year of eligibility to the players who plays in the fall if there's no football and basketball in 2020.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Wonder if the NCAA will change their minds and give another year of eligibility to the players who plays in the fall if there's no football and basketball in 2020.

They don’t really have a choice but to give another year of eligibility. They did it for baseball 

Archived