Catch All Covid-19 Thread

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My owner ordered us masks to wear at work. So that’s good I guess. 

Guy came in the shop the other day not knowing what he wanted. “I just wanted to get out of the house”. Thankfully, I wasn’t there or I’d have to ask him to make up his mind fast or leave. Some people are just too privileged. 

Coworker opted out of wearing a mask. She wants to “wait until it gets serious”. I asked her when does it get serious, and then rattled off some numbers local(700+ cases in the county) and worldwide. “Until the government tells me to”. 

Wear a mask or don’t. That’s fine. But the whole “waiting until this gets serious” is asinine and flat out ignorant. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the recent change in guidelines for wearing face masks, I am curious to know what percent of people in your area are wearing them?

(Obviously, I am not referring to N95 masks but to other cloth masks. )

I have a supply of common dust masks sold at places like Home Depot for working in dusty areas, but I have never been all that impressed (informally) with their efficacy for filtering dust.  (They make work better than I think, but dust is a hell of a lot bigger than a virus.)

My wife is probably going to make the recommended cloth mask (with a pocket for additional filtering medium), which I suspect I will prefer over my "dust mask".

Regardless, I understand such masks are mostly useless for protecting one from infection, but I figure they can't hurt.  However, they are apparently at least somewhat effective for helping to prevent infected persons - even those who are asymptomatic - from transmitting the virus (in the micro droplets of moisture they are exhaling).

Therefore, the real value - as I heard Dr. Fouci recently point out - is if everyone complies, it will at least reduce incidents of transmission from those who are infected, asymptomatic or not. So in effect, this becomes a social measure - in addition to social separation - with a "herd" benefit.

Accordingly, I plan to wear a mask of one sort or the other when I go out into public.

It will be interesting for me to see how we respond as a society in adhering to the government issues guidelines, thus the original question.

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Coworker opted out of wearing a mask. She wants to “wait until it gets serious”. I asked her when does it get serious, and then rattled off some numbers local(700+ cases in the county) and worldwide. “Until the government tells me to”. 

Wear a mask or don’t. That’s fine. But the whole “waiting until this gets serious” is asinine and flat out ignorant. 

One word: "asymptomatic".

I've seen estimates of 25% of cases:

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-we-know-so-far-about-those-who-can-pass-corona-without-symptoms

It's just one of the factors that makes this virus so scary.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

One word: "asymptomatic".

I've seen estimates of 25% of cases:

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-we-know-so-far-about-those-who-can-pass-corona-without-symptoms

It's just one of the factors that makes this virus so scary.

Exactly. That’s why I’m choosing to wear a mask and gloves. Since I work 5 days a week, every day that I’m not physically sick means I’m constantly restarting my 14 day period of potentially being sick. Every day I wake up not sick, I’m happy. This is why I hate people that are telling me they’re grateful that we’re considered essential or those that say they’re just glad to get out of the house. You’re grateful you can stave off the shakes for one more day, see you same time tomorrow. And don’t tell me to be safe. You DGAF about me. 

I’m treating everyone as if they are sick and as if I’m sick. It’s a Schrödinger type of deal. I don’t want to get sick and I would absolutely devastated if I got someone else sick. 

46 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Considering the recent change in guidelines for wearing face masks, I am curious to know what percent of people in your area are wearing them?

(Obviously, I am not referring to N95 masks but to other cloth masks. )

I have a supply of common dust masks sold at places like Home Depot for working in dusty areas, but I have never been all that impressed (informally) with their efficacy for filtering dust.  (They make work better than I think, but dust is a hell of a lot bigger than a virus.)

My wife is probably going to make the recommended cloth mask (with a pocket for additional filtering medium), which I suspect I will prefer over my "dust mask".

Regardless, I understand such masks are mostly useless for protecting one from infection, but I figure they can't hurt.  However, they are apparently at least somewhat effective for helping to prevent infected persons - even those who are asymptomatic - from transmitting the virus (in the micro droplets of moisture they are exhaling).

Therefore, the real value - as I heard Dr. Fouci recently point out - is if everyone complies, it will at least reduce incidents of transmission from those who are infected, asymptomatic or not. So in effect, this becomes a social measure - in addition to social separation - with a "herd" benefit.

Accordingly, I plan to wear a mask of one sort or the other when I go out into public.

It will be interesting for me to see how we respond as a society in adhering to the government issues guidelines, thus the original question.

Being “essential” retail, the amount of people wearing masks has noticeably ramped up in the last day or two. 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's more about where you do it than what you do.

From what I understand of your job, you're on the front line,  or at least have an essential job very near the front.

Thank you and try to keep safe.

Put simply, I'm Bobby Boucher from the Waterboy. 

Dialysis requires a crap ton of pure water operate. In the state of Alabama, there's one guy that maintains pretty much all the equipment necessary to provide that water, and that's me.

Hello!

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

giphy.gif

Need the end of it where he gets nailed in the face by a foosball lol. 

18 hours ago, AUDub said:

Dialysis requires a crap ton of pure water operate. In the state of Alabama, there's one guy that maintains pretty much all the equipment necessary to provide that water, and that's me.

Hello!

Thank you so much for all you do! That is a huge responsibility. 🦅

I just think this is tremendous. I stole it...😉

"ABSOLUTELY LOVE ❤️ THIS: 

With the rest of the school year cancelled, students will  miss 2 to 2.5 months of education. Many people are concerned about students falling behind because of this. Yes, they may fall behind when it comes to classroom education...

But what if...

What if instead of falling “behind", this group of kids are ADVANCED because of this?   Hear me out. 

What if they have more empathy, they enjoy family connection, they can be more creative and entertain themselves, they love to read, they love to express themselves in writing.

What if they enjoy the simple things, like their own backyard and sitting near a window in the quiet. 

What if they notice the birds and the dates the different flowers emerge, and the calming renewal of a gentle rain shower?

What if this generation are the ones to learn to cook, organize their space, do their laundry, and keep a well run home?

What if they learn to stretch a dollar and to live with less? 

What if they learn to plan shopping trips and meals at home. 

What if they learn the value of eating together as a family and finding the good to share in the small delights of the everyday?

What if they are the ones to place great value on our teachers and educational professionals, librarians, public servants and the previously invisible essential support workers like truck drivers, grocers, cashiers, custodians, logistics, and health care workers and their supporting staff, just to name a few of the millions taking care of us right now while we are sheltered in place?

What if among these children, a great leader emerges who had the benefit of a slower pace and a simpler life to truly learn what really matters in this life?

What if they are AHEAD?" 🙏🏼🏡♥️🏫

On 4/4/2020 at 6:40 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Exactly. That’s why I’m choosing to wear a mask and gloves. Since I work 5 days a week, every day that I’m not physically sick means I’m constantly restarting my 14 day period of potentially being sick. Every day I wake up not sick, I’m happy. This is why I hate people that are telling me they’re grateful that we’re considered essential or those that say they’re just glad to get out of the house. You’re grateful you can stave off the shakes for one more day, see you same time tomorrow. And don’t tell me to be safe. You DGAF about me. 

I’m treating everyone as if they are sick and as if I’m sick. It’s a Schrödinger type of deal. I don’t want to get sick and I would absolutely devastated if I got someone else sick. 

This articulates very well a lot of what I've been feeling but having a difficult time expressing. I don't interact with the public but I do share a cubicle farm with 9 other people. That restarting clock... every single day... never knowing... coming home to a wife and kids... who can't hug me until after I've taken a shower...  Meanwhile, you've got your, uh, ill-informed coworker. We all do. And it makes everything so much more precarious feeling. You just want to scream. I hate to whine about it so much but it occupies so much of my thoughts every day. 

Hooray for job security, but it sure feels like we're earning every penny and then some. 

11 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

I just think this is tremendous. I stole it...😉

"ABSOLUTELY LOVE ❤️ THIS: 

With the rest of the school year cancelled, students will  miss 2 to 2.5 months of education. Many people are concerned about students falling behind because of this. Yes, they may fall behind when it comes to classroom education...

But what if...

What if instead of falling “behind", this group of kids are ADVANCED because of this?   Hear me out. 

What if they have more empathy, they enjoy family connection, they can be more creative and entertain themselves, they love to read, they love to express themselves in writing.

What if they enjoy the simple things, like their own backyard and sitting near a window in the quiet. 

What if they notice the birds and the dates the different flowers emerge, and the calming renewal of a gentle rain shower?

What if this generation are the ones to learn to cook, organize their space, do their laundry, and keep a well run home?

What if they learn to stretch a dollar and to live with less? 

What if they learn to plan shopping trips and meals at home. 

What if they learn the value of eating together as a family and finding the good to share in the small delights of the everyday?

What if they are the ones to place great value on our teachers and educational professionals, librarians, public servants and the previously invisible essential support workers like truck drivers, grocers, cashiers, custodians, logistics, and health care workers and their supporting staff, just to name a few of the millions taking care of us right now while we are sheltered in place?

What if among these children, a great leader emerges who had the benefit of a slower pace and a simpler life to truly learn what really matters in this life?

What if they are AHEAD?" 🙏🏼🏡♥️🏫

They might also grow up in an America that has learned some lessons about what works and what doesn't. 

Such an intense time for you educators. It's very touching to see the genuine emotional response- an investment that you all have as a community of which I think most of the rest of us are only beginning to see the depth. I- we- appreciate you all so, so much. While front line people are deservedly getting a lot of recognition, you all are also fighting an incredibly challenging and infinitely important battle. 

There's a cost to this for these kids. It will depend a LOT on their situation as to what that cost is, but I firmly believe that it will be offset for many. Hopefully for most, and hopefully a lot, by things such as what you list above. 

Same goes for us grownups. Many of us fortunate enough to not be afraid for our very existence right now have hit the pause button on a lot of really dumb noise in our lives. I hope to keep much of it muted on the other side, whatever it looks like. 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This articulates very well a lot of what I've been feeling but having a difficult time expressing. I don't interact with the public but I do share a cubicle farm with 9 other people. That restarting clock... every single day... never knowing... coming home to a wife and kids... who can't hug me until after I've taken a shower...  Meanwhile, you've got your, uh, ill-informed coworker. We all do. And it makes everything so much more precarious feeling. You just want to scream. I hate to whine about it so much but it occupies so much of my thoughts every day. 

Hooray for job security, but it sure feels like we're earning every penny and then some. 

I’m sick of talking/griping about it too. My owner said today that we should cut out talking about it while customers are around because it’s just so grim talking about death and sickness all day long. I’m fine with that decision. 

On 4/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, AUDub said:

Need the end of it where he gets nailed in the face by a foosball lol.

Find movies like Waterboy funny, relaxing, and entertaining. The past week we have watched Major League, Sandlots, Angels in the Outfield, and Rookie of the Year. About time for my yearly "fix" of The Natural and Field of Dreams. 

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Find movies like Waterboy funny, relaxing, and entertaining. The past week we have watched Major League, Sandlots, Angels in the Outfield, and Rookie of the Year. About time for my yearly "fix" of The Natural and Field of Dreams. 

Did he just say, “funky butt lovin’”?

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You're missing Bull Durham. 

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You're missing Bull Durham. 

One of the best Dubs. For whatever reason been a while since I have seen it. Like most things that Costner is in. Saw him in a celebrity home-run derby several years ago. Seemed to be a pretty good athlete. Like most things that Robert Duvall is in also.

54 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

One of the best Dubs. For whatever reason been a while since I have seen it. Like most things that Costner is in. Saw him in a celebrity home-run derby several years ago. Seemed to be a pretty good athlete. Like most things that Robert Duvall is in also.

Don't forget Draft Day if you like Costner films. The timing is appropriate with this month. Good movie. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Since you like Duvall & Costner then the movie Open Range is a must!

Nothing to do with sports but.... It's not Tombstone by any means but still pretty BA.

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Since you like Duvall & Costner then the movie Open Range is a must!

Nothing to do with sports but.... It's not Tombstone by any means but still pretty BA.

Equestrian is a sport. :)

Screenshot_20200407-150156~2.png

On 4/4/2020 at 7:12 PM, AUDub said:

Hello!

So, when did you leave children’s hospital?

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

So, when did you leave children’s hospital?

August of last year. Got headhunted to be a field service engineer. These guys offered me a huge pay bump, an E450 box truck with a lift gate and the opportunity to "be my own boss," as it were.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

August of last year. Got headhunted to be a field service engineer. These guys offered me a huge pay bump, an E450 box truck with a lift gate and the opportunity to "be my own boss," as it were.

Awesome. A better schedule too I assume. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

Awesome. A better schedule too I assume. 

Not exactly a 9-5. Really freeform. Some jobs can't start until 5pm or later, for example, and some some weeks I may only pull 15 hours, while others I may pull 90. Plus, I'm on call 24-7. 

Archived