2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

15 hours ago, Paladin said:

completed 139 of 228 passes for 2,393 yards, 30 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions — and added 1,171 rushing yards on 132 attempts

61% and 8.87 ypc for any without a calculator handy. Along with the totals and that TD to INT ratio, those are some filthy numbers. (Sorry if that is redundant to any previous posts.)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just occurred to me that this might make up for Jerod Evans somehow. (SIAP)

The QB from V tech? He was interested in Auburn?

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The QB from V tech? He was interested in Auburn?

Not sure what his interest level in us was, but we didn't appear very interested in him and took JFIII instead. 

Lashlee went to go watch Evans live the week before he saw Franklin account for six touchdowns (five rushing and one passing) in a 48-0 win over Mississippi Delta Community College on Oct. 22, 2015. Less than two weeks after seeing both quarterbacks, Auburn accepted the verbal pledge of Franklin III.

To be fair, I think Davis Webb was in that same cycle and we did go after him. 

• Thanks 1

I should add that Evans very openly said he modeled his game after Cam Newton and there were many such comparisons during the recruiting process. So I'd have to think he had at least some curiosity about playing for Gus. 

I wonder if Davis models his game on Deshaun Watson's, by chance...

• 3 weeks later...

Top QB target de-commits from Virginia Tech

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 9 minutes ago 

Share2 Comments

One of Auburn’s biggest targets in the 2021 recruiting class is back on the market.

Four-star quarterback Dematrius Davis of Houston (Texas) North Shore de-committed from Virginia Tech on Wednesday via Twitter. The move was not a big surprise because there has been chatter in recent weeks about the possibility it could happen.

Davis is the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback and No. 133 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He has been a huge Auburn target almost since the day Chad Morris was hired as Tigers offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in December. Some like where the Tigers now sit.

In 2019, Davis put up terrific dual-threat stats: He completed 139 of 228 passes for 2,393 yards, 30 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions — and added 1,171 rushing yards on 132 attempts. Last December, he helped lead North Shore to a state title. Also impressive is this: He has only lost two games total as a varsity starter.

When asked what Morris has said he likes about his ability, Davis told Auburn Undercover in April, “Just my whole playing style. He said I remind him of Deshaun (Watson) because of how I can move and how I keep my eyes down field. And plus, he said the key factor for him and Coach Malzahn that they love and preach is that I’m a winner.”

According to Davis, his success at quarterback isn’t just the result of his arm and his legs.

“I feel like it’s about trust,” Davis said. “Trust in my teammates. You can’t beat a team by yourself. You have to rely on your receivers and offensive linemen to make blocks and catch passes. Then, your defense has to make the stops. Every year, I’m pretty sure they’re going to do that. Our (defensive coordinator) is amazing. I trust them all. I like being around them. I’m friends with players on both sides of the ball.”

Here is his most recent 247Sports evaluation: “Sturdy build with below average height but impressive bulk relative to frame. Not overly long but built a bit like a running back. Accurate passer with sterling statistical performance in Texas 6A D-I as a sophomore. State title winner with intangibles that shine in high-pressure situations. Aware in the pocket. Avoids pass rush to extend play, inside and outside of pocket. Shows impressive close-quarters agility to avoid rushers as a passer or tacklers as a runner. Adequate arm strength with particularly good accuracy outside the numbers downfield. Efficient runner who has made most of limited rushing attempts. Can improve velocity to maximize overall arm strength. More quick than fast and can improve top-end speed. Power 5-caliber QB prospect who could become multi-year starter at the high-major level.”

• Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis (Update 5/6/20 Va. Tech decommit)

I have to give props to the Hokie fans. They love their football. There is a 26 page thread on their 247 site that was started just yesterday from their Mod saying sources were losing confidence on Davis. That was before the decommitment but that's a staggering number of pages in that short a time.

Damn y’all are fast

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Damn y’all are fast

Not really. Happened over an hour ago.

• Facepalm 1

AU trending big for DD. 14 picks combined between Rivals & 247 reporters in the pas hour alone.

• Like 2

Miami fans seem to be really confident about this. Guess who is their OC?!

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I have to give props to the Hokie fans. They love their football. There is a 26 page thread on their 247 site that was started just yesterday from their Mod saying sources were losing confidence on Davis. That was before the decommitment but that's a staggering number of pages in that short a time.

I noticed the same thing. Even when a recruit tweets they have an offer from them, they’re all over it and they flood the comments. Arkansas does that too

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Miami fans seem to be really confident about this. Guess who is their OC?!

Can't find anything from their reporters indicating it's The U. In fact there's more talk they end up with Aaron McLaughlin, which is irony also.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't find anything from their reporters indicating it's The U. In fact there's more talk they end up with Aaron McLaughlin, which is irony also.

It was more twitter talk which isn’t at all reliable . However , I just went to a couple of their sites and their fans are realizing it’s all Auburn .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I’m 100% okay with him going to the ACC and giving Clemson fits.

Really excited about this development. Could be another big piece to build this class around and would be one of our bigger gets from Texas right?

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’m 100% okay with him going to the ACC and giving Clemson fits.

Really excited about this development. Could be another big piece to build this class around and would be one of our bigger gets from Texas right?

Not counting transfers (KMart, Stid and an OL whose name I can't recall ATM), I'm going all the way back to Nosa Eguae.

That can't be right, can it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not counting transfers (KMart, Stid and an OL whose name I can't recall ATM), I'm going all the way back to Nosa Eguae.

That can't be right, can it?

We got a couple Texas commits from our most recent class but yeah that’s about it. We never recruited that state too hard

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not counting transfers (KMart

Not a transfer. Signed but never enrolled at Baylor

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

OL whose name I can't recall ATM)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not a transfer. Signed but never enrolled at Baylor

Thank you for James but dude you have got to chill out with the unnecessary corrections.