2022 4* C Sage Tolentino Commits to Cincinnati

ellitor

24 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Wonder what happened there?

I wonder that too, but his loss. Bruce has those studs lined up ready to join the Tigers. 

That hurts I was really looking forward to seeing him at Auburn. Since not coming to Auburn maybe he goes to G-League as I just don't want him to commit to an SEC team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That hurts I was really looking forward to seeing him at Auburn. Since not coming to Auburn maybe he goes to G-League as I just don't want him to commit to an SEC team.

I don’t think he’s Gleague caliber. 

Once he started to take visits I figured he might start to like other schools. 

42 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don’t think he’s Gleague caliber. 

Once he started to take visits I figured he might start to like other schools. 

It might have to do with top PF and 5 Star Walker showing AU a lot of interest. Cruz is recruiting him to come to AU with him. 

• Like 1

Started getting a lot of traction and jumps. AU offered him before he was highly regarded. Hate to lose him, but AU offered him before he got a whole lot of recognition.

I see a little bit of Orange and Blue tinted comments. Prior to his announcements saying he was re-opening his recruitment there were multiple positive posts about how well he was doing and was better than expected. Losing a 7'1" Center who can rim protect, run and has a solid outside shot hurts. There is no way to sugar coat that. Yes we are looking good for a 5* PF so we will be fine if he comes, but having this type Center plus the 5* PF makes the team even better then just having the 5* PF who has shown interest but has not committed.

No one player makes a team but we should all be sad that this young man is not coming to Auburn and if he does end up at KY it would hurt us. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah hes becoming a really good player, I figured he'd at least start wondering about things when other schools started coming after him 

Other than Cooper, it doesn't seem like there's much value behind recruiting a guy for multiple years anymore. Or at least, not much reason to expect that it'll pay dividends

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I see a little bit of Orange and Blue tinted comments. Prior to his announcements saying he was re-opening his recruitment there were multiple positive posts about how well he was doing and was better than expected. Losing a 7'1" Center who can rim protect, run and has a solid outside shot hurts. There is no way to sugar coat that. Yes we are looking good for a 5* PF so we will be fine if he comes, but having this type Center plus the 5* PF makes the team even better then just having the 5* PF who has shown interest but has not committed.

No one player makes a team but we should all be sad that this young man is not coming to Auburn and if he does end up at KY it would hurt us. 

Agree totally. 

And we have no commits for 2022, and more than likely will lose Kessler, Flanigan, Williams, and a guard, so we need help inside. Some have said Sage had not progressed as well as they liked, but here we still have Stretch who has no offensive game at all after 2 years. 

Ofc we should always sign a rim protector and a guy that can only improve his game after 1 more year in HS...

Edited by steeleagle

Dang, that stings. I wonder how much it might have to do with Kessler being here and it not being clear that he would go pro after only one season. I was looking forward to having a 7-footer for at least the next two seasons, even if Kessler did leave, and excited to have a pair of 7-footers if he didn't leave, but I guess that is not to be. Or maybe he'll take another visit to Auburn and remember why he loves it so much here. Or maybe he'll see how Bruce uses a stretch 5 with Kessler this season and decide that he likes that look. Who knows?

If Bruce lands Walker we won't care about Sage. He would have been nice and AU could possibly still land him, but Walker is light years ahead of him in ability and would be an awesome stretch 4/5 in Bruce's offense and give us a lot of steals on defense. Get Walker, Cruz and that 5 star SF to play the 4 and another solid guard and AU will be rolling into it's third Final Four (I am predicting AU to the FF this upcoming season.). 

4 hours ago, johnjacob said:

If Bruce lands Walker we won't care about Sage. He would have been nice and AU could possibly still land him, but Walker is light years ahead of him in ability and would be an awesome stretch 4/5 in Bruce's offense and give us a lot of steals on defense. Get Walker, Cruz and that 5 star SF to play the 4 and another solid guard and AU will be rolling into it's third Final Four (I am predicting AU to the FF this upcoming season.). 

There is an old saying one in the hand is worth two in the Bush. Your not worried because we might get Walker.  If Walker is as good as you say then he could also go G-League and now we don't have either.  If we kept Sage and then got Walker we would be in great position, now if we don't get Walker we have nothing.  Losing a good player is never good and to try and say it doesn't matter because we might get a better player doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Like 6

This guy has been one of the fastest rising players of his class from articles I’ve seen in THIS thread 

How do people read that and then turnaround and say “yeah we’ll just replace him” 

• Like 2

I will respectfully say that basketball in Hawaii is not the greatest. He has moved stateside so we will see what happens. Should be able to get a better idea if it was a big lose or not.

Just plain sux.  Anyway you slice it. 

• Like 1

I think he made the decision way to soon. Now more offers are coming and decided to decommit. I guess on the positive side at least he didnt wait until the last minute so Coach Pearl couldnt pursue other players. Who knows maybe it was mutual and coach has something else planned.

I would definitely had rather him stay committed to us, but we've lost and gained plenty of guys over the last couple of seasons. It hurts if Bruce can not find a replacement for him. But i bet we'll have someone around that can play his minutes. Better to lose him now versus later when fewer prospects to choose from. 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There is an old saying one in the hand is worth two in the Bush. Your not worried because we might get Walker.  If Walker is as good as you say then he could also go G-League and now we don't have either.  If we kept Sage and then got Walker we would be in great position, now if we don't get Walker we have nothing.  Losing a good player is never good and to try and say it doesn't matter because we might get a better player doesn't make a lot of sense.

We don't have Sage. So we literally have neither at this time. All I know is plenty of really good bball players are interested in playing at AU under Coach P and his excellent staff and I betting if we miss on HS players at a position there will be a good transfer that would love to come to AU and play in front of our rabid crowds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This guy has been one of the fastest rising players of his class from articles I’ve seen in THIS thread 

How do people read that and then turnaround and say “yeah we’ll just replace him” 

I see your point, but this is not Gusball recruiting or that two bball coaches we had before Coach BP, who just made excuses for why they could not attract topnotch talent--- this is PEARLBALL. AU is a hot place to be right now with Bball players. 

• Like 1

This reminds me of the other highly touted kid that was committed to Auburn for a while and then the Person scandal hit and he ended up at Kentucky. If my memory serves me right he didnt do much at Kentucky. Auburn was just fine without him. I believe his name was EJ Montgomery. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1