The Jalen Hurts Offense

AUght2win

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

The great ones, however, use all of their receivers and don't tunnel in on just one. Bo has to do a better job of staying calm, staying in the pocket, and seeing the entire field. All too many times have we missed the wide open guy just to throw a 50/50 ball that's more like a 10/90 ball.

This. Bo does not see the field good OR his mind is made up before he even throws. I have lost count how many times he's missed open WR's. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, DAG said:

You don't know how to read do you? Did I say that? In fact I said in an earlier statement that Colt has sneaky athletic ability but he is not like Jalen Hurts. He does not have the build nor the athleticism to maintain himself like Jalen. So when you say on page 1, that we should run the Jalen offense, but then the next page say well, he is actually more similar to colt, I have to wonder how the hell are we suppose to run the Jalen offense then?

The problem is you contradict yourself on a weekly basis. You just flat out lectured me on comparing stats to players and you just did that when you compare Colt McCoy to Kyler Murray. CONTRADICTION. but let just take a look at that. Kyler Murray 3 seasons of college football. Only 1 full season as a starter. Colt McCoy has played in at least 13 games in all 4 seasons at UT that he was eligible. Colt McCoy had 447 attempts at running to Kyler 154 attempts at running. Out of all of that Colt only has 300 more rushing yards than this kid. The same could be said about Vick who only played two seasons and neither of them had 13 games. Yet, Colt only has 300 something more total rushing yards than him. Do you think that is an honest stat to prove your point? 

You sound like Skip Bayless right now. 

And then you are bringing up 40 times? Why? In the game of football forty times is probably one of the most overrated metrics. Connor Shaw ran a faster 40 than Johnny football, does that mean he compares athletically to Johnny? Again, you are all over the place. Instead of just saying I may have been reaching a little. It is totally okay to say that every once in a while. We all miss sometimes.

This is an insufferable position to take in a debate, but a sign of the times. People just straight up refuse to accept nuanced ideas. Every statement a person makes has to be so ridiculously black or white, or else it's "contradictory". You aren't attempting to conversate, you're playing a Twitter-game where you sift through the weeds of a statement in an effort to find something that will invalidate the author. Skip Bayless? If you're tuning in to Skip and Shannon, that explains your outlook on sports debate.

Let me oversimplify my points to your liking.

1. Jalen Hurts was a very limited passer and a good runner. Lane Kiffin designed an offense using pop screens, easy no-risk throws, and QB runs that fit him well. 

2. Bo is also a very limited passer and a good runner. We ran an offense similar to Bama's 2017 scheme last Saturday. I think it could work.

*IN A SHOCKING, SEPARATE IDEA THAT DEVELOPED FROM FURTHER CONVERSATION:*

3. If I had to choose a player to compare him to, I think Bo is similar to Colt McCoy in a lot of ways.

None of these 3 statements are contradictory. At all. Good grief. You guys have wrecked this discussion enough. If you want to continue, debate on good-faith. I'm done with the dogma and strawman stuff.

Just now, AUght2win said:

This is an insufferable position to take in a debate, but a sign of the times. People just straight up refuse to accept nuanced ideas. Every statement a person makes has to be so ridiculously black or white, or else it's "contradictory". You aren't attempting to conversate, you're playing a Twitter-game where you sift through the weeds of a statement in an effort to find something that will invalidate the author. Skip Bayless? If you're tuning in to Skip and Shannon, that explains your outlook on sports debate.

1. Jalen Hurts was a very limited passer and a good runner. Lane Kiffin designed an offense using pop screens, easy no-risk throws, and QB runs that fit him well. 

2. Bo is also a very limited passer and a good runner. We ran an offense similar to Bama's 2017 scheme last Saturday. I think it could work.

3. If I had to choose a player to compare him to, I think Bo is similar to Colt McCoy in a lot of ways.

None of these 3 statements are contradictory. At all. Good grief. You guys have wrecked this discussion enough. If you want to continue, debate on good-faith. I'm done with the dogma and strawman stuff.

Bahaha I liked how you overlooked your stats comment.  Yeah take a walk 

This thread was a fail when the op pushed post. It doesn't make any sense and most people will not agree with the subjective opinion. Nobody thinks Bo has the athletic ability to have an offense built around his running ability

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

This thread was a fail when the op pushed post. It doesn't make any sense and most people will not agree with the subjective opinion. Nobody thinks Bo has the athletic ability to have an offense built around his running ability

C'mon man. Cam Newton is basically Bo.

I mean, Bo is bigger, faster, and has a stronger arm & better field vision.

But besides that, Cam's basically Bo Nix lite.

.....right?

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh no! I don't have a random forum poster's validation! 😢😢😢

10 hours ago, AUght2win said:

That’s funny how you explained it

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

This guy and another random makes a different threads every week, usually with some crazy extreme . I chalk it up to our team being average. I really miss the old posters like Jeff, lionheart , heck even 64 because they had some sort of substance and had classic debates.The good ole times. 

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

This guy and another random makes a different threads every week, usually with some crazy extreme . I chalk it up to our team being average. I really miss the old posters like Jeff, lionheart , heck even 64 because they had some sort of substance and had classic debates.The good ole times. 

Yeah, I certainly feel you. Dude been at me since I said Bo has to get better. He's desperate now, I actually hope Bo gets better so he'll stop reaching and making these ridiculous posts

2 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

That’s funny how you explained it

I know it's hilarious isn't it? Especially the part where he came up with this idea!

😂 the new Mikey and 64 smh this forum deserves a better villain

6 hours ago, Mims44 said:

C'mon man. Cam Newton is basically Bo.

I mean, Bo is bigger, faster, and has a stronger arm & better field vision.

But besides that, Cam's basically Bo Nix lite.

.....right?

Don't forget they were both in that picture when Bo was a kid. And they both have 10 fingers so they have the same grip

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, I certainly feel you. Dude been at me since I said Bo has to get better. He's desperate now, I actually hope Bo gets better so he'll stop reaching and making these ridiculous posts

Please find somebody else to obsess over. I'm not gonna reciprocate. You get so butthurt because a stranger disagrees with you about sports on the internet and then follow them around to every thread making 10,000 subtweets. 

If you and @DAG can't stand my opinions, then do us all a favor and don't read my posts. Idk what you get out of being vindictive on a football forum, but don't involve me. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Please find somebody else to obsess over. I'm not gonna reciprocate. You get so butthurt because a stranger disagrees with you about sports on the internet and then follow them around to every thread making 10,000 subtweets. 

If you and @DAG can't stand my opinions, then do us all a favor and don't read my posts. Idk what you get out of being vindictive on a football forum, but don't involve me. 

I actually like some of your post. You bring some good stuff. My problem with you is you are super extreme and never say when you are wrong lol. Like, honestly all you had to say was , you know maybe the Jalen Hurts thing was a little bit off but a more logical comparison is Colt. Instead, you double down on both arguments and get upset when people point it out hahah . You did the same thing last week regarding Bo passing into double coverage and then two guys who does this stuff for a living comes in and says “yeah he threw the ball into double coverage.”  You are just all over the place man. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Follow you? You are constantly talking to me, I could care less about you. You love this though, you can tell the way you embellish every single post. You are a drama queen. It's not a big deal you get so riled up when you make a dumb post. You don't have to be all extra because somebody doesn't back your post. There's no conspiracy against you it was just a dumb thing to say

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Guys, I've removed the back and forth. If y'all need to continue, ironically, take it to PMs, please.

Damn you! Sike, I love you. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Guys, I've removed the back and forth. If y'all need to continue, ironically, take it to PMs, please.

My apologies bird.  We are talking offline.  

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Damn you! Sike, I love you. 

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

My apologies bird.  We are talking offline.  

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I was hoping with the Chad Morris addition, we'd see more play makers emerge in the passing game.  We knew about Seth and Schwartz.  I was hoping Stove could play a Ryan Davis role, and we'd some real impact from the RB's and TE's catching the ball.  Throw in some additional production from the young WR's and Shedrick, and you have a balanced attack to go along with Worm, Tank, DJ and company. I know the OL is taking a while to get up to par and that has been a major issue, but we still aren't spreading it around like was expected. It's a shame.  This group has real potential. 

To spread around your QB has to stand in the pocket and go through progressions. I don't think any coord can consistently change an offense to do that without the foundation of those two things from the QB.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I actually like some of your post. You bring some good stuff. My problem with you is you are super extreme and never say when you are wrong lol. Like, honestly all you had to say was , you know maybe the Jalen Hurts thing was a little bit off but a more logical comparison is Colt. Instead, you double down on both arguments and get upset when people point it out hahah . You did the same thing last week regarding Bo passing into double coverage and then two guys who does this stuff for a living comes in and says “yeah he threw the ball into double coverage.”  You are just all over the place man. 

I got no problem with that or admitting I am wrong. I've already completely changed my opinion on Bo since the season began. I went from blaming everybody but Bo to accepting he has serious issues that are his and his alone. 

Stuff like comparisons are just dealer's choice though, I think. 

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So are we still certain Bo can't run? 

I don't think anyone said he couldn't unless I am mistaken. But running shouldn't be the primary focus like it was for Jalen Hurts. Short passes and take what the defense is giving you. If forcing Bo to run is the primary focus, we are in trouble. A lot of his runs today is him working on his progress and then taking what the defense gives him. 

Archived