* Official Auburn vs. Alabama Game Thread *

abw0004

Just now, Zeek said:

With a qb dad and all the camps and coaching he's gotten this blows my mind. Is it not reinforced at practice? Game still to fast for him? Trying too hard? It's weird.

I know right? I have explained this would be like a basketball coach dad has a 5 star pg and he can't dribble.  This is freaking crazy

1 minute ago, Never2Yield said:

How good would Bo be on Bama's team? His issues are more in coaching, not talent.

He wouldn't be allowed to play with footwork like that for them

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So one thing that isn't being discussed because I guess everybody still has hope is the horrible foot work from a 5 star and nobody seems to be stressed on correcting it

After last season, I went back and watched his high school film and some seven on seven videos.  It was interesting to see how his footwork digressed in live game situations.  I expected that his dad would have worked on him with that this off season.  

I was hoping to see some improvement, but it appears that he is unable to transfer practice technique into live situations possibly.   Not getting help from our coaching staff is no surprise at all.  I have been saying for years that our high school recruited quarterbacks leave with the same skill set they entered Auburn with and all they have gained was knowledge of his system, but no knowledge on how to be a better quarterback from a film room, technique, leader or fundamentals.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Exactly! It would have been corrected, early on.

Auburn has dropped to mediocrity. I'm sure folks in charge are loving it. They started building it 8 years ago and their still adding to it every year.

8 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Saying “bo isn’t even slightly a good  qb” is hate in my book.   We have hashed footwork to death.  

How good would Mac Jones be on this team?

This was A Spurrier type game where we should have gone for every fourth down.  We were clearly outclassed at every position and had nothing to lose.  I admire coaches that are willing to do all they can to win rather than lose.  Our coaches gave up and were trying not to be blown out rather than win.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Do you believe his footwork would be corrected if he played for them?

Oh and let me say just because I point out where he can be better I'm not saying the loss is just his fault.  I never have said that,  but I've been in many arguments about him all the same. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubie57 said:

Do you believe his footwork would be corrected if he played for them?

Absolutely. I don't think he would have been allowed to play before it was corrected.  Think about it what qb of theirs do you remember not being fundamentally sound? Even when they weren't the most talented they got the talent they had out 

• Like 2

Just now, cole256 said:

Absolutely. I don't think he would have been allowed to play before it was corrected.  Think about it what qb of theirs do you remember not being fundamentally sound? Even when they weren't the most talented they got the talent they had out 

Correct remember there was a reason why tua’s little brother left. The job wasn’t just going to be handed to him. He had to prove he is the best . Mac Jones , who received a late offer, grinded and it shows in the way he does all the little things right. I mean they have a stud behind him right now who can probably start at most schools as a true freshman. 

• Like 2

His lack of fundamentals from squaring his shoulders, being balanced and locking in on a receiver are all areas needed to improve.

I am not sure how well he goes through his progressions because he doesn’t typically trust the pocket(most of the time for good reasons.   They really need to give him more check downs quickly if the first read is not there.  Simply having plays with higher percentage of completions would help and having those be past the line of scrimmage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree. I’m not gonna rip the kid like others do,( I do not think you’ve ripped him) when I 1000% feel like he’s not getting coached. I can’t remember a QB that has left Auburn better than they came in, under Malzahn. Nix makes some really questionable decisions at times, IMO that’s  on him. I believe he could be a really special QB with some help from competent coaching. 

Doing slow developing, play action roll outs to his left and with the short side of the field are just guarantees of failure from a passing stand point, yet it doesn’t stop them from being called.

He is still more of a schoolyard quarterback than a cerebral athlete at the quarterback position.

Lots of Bo criticism here, but it’s been a long time (approximately 8 years) since an AU Qb has been able to consistently sit comfortably in a legit pocket like Mac Jones was able to do on 95% of his snaps. And it’s not going to change until Gus is gone. 

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Doing slow developing, play action roll outs to his left and with the short side of the field are just guarantees of failure from a passing stand point, yet it doesn’t stop them from being called.

He is still more of a schoolyard quarterback than a cerebral athlete at the quarterback position.

Agreed.   Our offense was called, at times, today just to slow down the game/speed up the clock.  My point was Nix has his faults/has played terrible in some games, but IMO, today wasn’t one of those games.  He was the only bright spot on our O. If shed catches that pass on sidelines and Seth catches the long one, totally different game...at least for a bit. 

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

His lack of fundamentals from squaring his shoulders, being balanced and locking in on a receiver are all areas needed to improve.

I am not sure how well he goes through his progressions because he doesn’t typically trust the pocket(most of the time for good reasons.   They really need to give him more check downs quickly if the first read is not there.  Simply having plays with higher percentage of completions would help and having those be past the line of scrimmage.

I agree,  but he has to know to check down. Like his first int...I know it shouldn't have happened because of the drop but he has to know that's not a throw he can make squared up.... you have to know that's going to be a pick

Mississippi State has more to be excited about next year than Auburn... With the exception of a full. Season of Tank.. If the offensive line is a little bit better. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

It's official. Auburn is in the same league with Vanderbilt. To all you Gus Malzahn supporters, ENJOY IT!!

Nah man! Vanderbilt in a league of their own. 

Smoke played bad.  2/3 best RBs hurt.  2 tackles hurt.  Defense played as well as they could with no help.  Seth with a crucial drop.  Bo made multiple mistakes.  Auburn could have easily stayed in the ball game if execution was better.  Play calling wasn’t terrible.  Got out manned.  On to TaMu.

Looking forward to Monday for the BB game. They make a lot of mistakes, but after watching AU football, their mistakes don't bother me. I know the BB team will get better!

I thought MAR ran great in seeing the holes. We need a makeover on the Oline as everyone knows. I thought Chad was a Qb coach. I thought Crimedog would have made our DBs better and upscale. Carnell said Mar was hurt this year also. Don’t see any improvement is what is so frustrating to me 

21 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

He'd be third string on Alabama.

Maybe, maybe not, but his coaching would be much better.

1 hour ago, Never2Yield said:

When was the last time we kicked their butts, this bad? Seriously.

Auburn has only beaten Alabama by MORE THAN 10 points once since 1969, 26-14 in 2017. If not for stopping the wide receiver short of the end zone on the final play that year, it would have been 0 times since ‘69.

• Thanks 1