2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!

Paladin

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No? 

I do feel special to be your 4th post in 11 years. Ellitor is a big boy. We can discuss things. 

I am not sure if that is a wise move to make fun of a poster that hasn't posted much when you have only been on this forum for less than two months yourself...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This is the only useful thing you've contributed to this thread. 

The rest of your post is pure horse***t. You are a classic case of being much better at dishing it than taking it. If you're gonna play tough guy, toughen the hell up. Otherwise you come across as dumb, childish and soft as hell.

Too bad. Seems like you actually do possess some knowledge, but certainly not enough to justify the rest. 

I actually don't care that you're calling names, it's just something that I haven't done to anyone here.  I gave an opinion on a recruit.  You can tell me whatever you feel about me, I couldn't care less.

It really is funny.  You do the same thing as me.  You just lob insults (but cowardly hide behind weird stipulations) and don't give any details.  I'm just ignorant and a troll....just like I'm not high on the kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Think about the implication of what some of you are saying.

We have a coaching and support analytics staff that is paid upwards of a combined ~$10+ million dollars per year. Their job is to evaluate talent, develop said talent, and then implement the game plan that utilizes said talent such that it leads to wins.

Is the argument here that some former HS gym teacher/coach who gets paid ~$50,000 a year to watch film at 247.com or Rivals.com and then give his/her input the ACTUAL barometer of "judging talent"? The people who break down film at these recruiting services are not paid high-six figure salaries, or at least I would be incredibly surprised if they were.

The reason why they depend so heavily on Camp/All-Star event performances is because it places all of the players on one football field at the same time. We already KNOW that they depend heavily on these events because you'll see this all the time: Player A has an "average day" at ONE camp, and they fall 50+ spots in the very next national rankings. Subsequently you'll see guys go from 3-star to Top 100 (ie: high 4-star) in the same manner. Their HS tape is the same before and after that camp performance. With no camp circuit in ~1.5 years, the rankings in this 2022 class are going to be all over the place - period. You can already find a huge cache of unranked players who are holding 5+ offers from major P5 schools - the recruiting services are BEHIND.

Player evaluation is an inexact science so of course coaches CAN and WILL be "wrong". But use some common sense and defer to the actual authority. What some people on here are describing is no different than when an NFL team selects Joe Schmoe at #10 overall, meanwhile Mel Kiper had that player at #25. Like okay, the NFL scouts and front office execs and coaches who all spend hundreds of hours in analysis are going to be wrong 'X' amount of times - but you're paying an entire staff of professionals at the highest level of their profession to do a job. Are you going to then turn around and defer your opinion to someone in the media who is a "Armchair NFL Draft Expert" LOL?

I mean, so if the recruiting experts are so wrong, why do the best teams consistently have the best players and the highest rated guys have a positive correlation with success & NFL draft potential?

This isn't the 90s with some crap magazine putting names out there.  They are pretty good at their jobs ranking kids.  They miss just like coaches miss.

At the moment, Rivals/247 have the exact same footage as every coach in the nation.  Auburn is the kids only good offer.  Maybe we're ahead of literally every good P5 school.  Maybe we aren't

WED - People defend E bc he’s built a heck of a lot of credibility around here.  There were many years where he was the main source of info and he invested countless hours gathering and organizing recruiting profiles and up to date info.  He’s invested time with many posters on here that you have not.  I’m sure you’re a wonderful person, but right now the perception is that you’re a little bit of a brat walking in here starting pointless and petty arguments.  There are a few posters that similarly do this ( trying to create credibility by being loud and obnoxious) every year and it gets old.  You want to have an honest discussion?  Fine, build some good will first and have some respect for the folks that built this place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No anger here. I just think it's a bs take. Yes I would say that recruiting services have access to a lot of the same resources such as film, but to imply that recruiters have the knowledge of a coach or the awareness to be able to see a kid that might not be there now but had a heck of a ceiling and feels like he can get him there. Are both working sometimes? Yes. 

I think you are putting too much into the rankings this class. there are going to be a lot of busts from big time players and a lot of gems from underrated guys just due to the lack of exposure and camp circuits. 

Sure, bust happen.  Just like coaches pick wrong players.  No one ever said that.

But all held equal, you give me 25 kids a year ranked in the top 100 vs 35 3* and I'm going to dominate you up and down the field each year.  The services area good barometer 

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

WED - People defend E bc he’s built a heck of a lot of credibility around here.

That's fine, but it's weird.  I'm not being mean to him.  I haven't attacked him or called him a POS.  We are having a discussion.  I enjoy talking with him.  We just disagree on some things.  That's fine.  I haven't called out any of his information....the most we have disagreed on is subjective things.  '22's class rankings (I'm more bullish).  This guys value (I'm more bearish).  I'm not sure there is an actual "fact" in both of those opinions 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I’m sure you’re a wonderful person

I am.  thank you.

right now the perception is that you’re a little bit of a brat walking in here starting pointless and petty arguments.

That's beyond ridiculous.  We're discussion a prospect.  Some are good, some are bad.  I've said bad things about 5* QB Gunner Stockton.  Good things about 3* QB commit we have.  Bad things about us not even returning calls for a 4* legacy.  Good things about the 3* OT from Opelika.

This is a message board.  The purpose is to post things...many times those are opinions.  Not everyone is going to agree and see things with a deep shade of Orange & Blue.

You want to have an honest discussion?

Everything I post is honest and objective.  Just b/c you don't like the point of view doesn't mean it isn't an honest post.  I really like Harsin, I really like some staff memebers.  I have huge questions about others b/c of inexperience...but overall I've said I liked it.  Seems the entire board hates Bo Nix, which I think is absolutely ridiculous considering the lack of coaching he's received.  Conversely, I really like DD but think some are waaaaay too infatuated with the idea of him being a TrFr starting QB.  That'll just ruin his development like it did Nix. 

In the future I will outlines specific things I don't find great about a recruit.  I'm sure that will be met with the exact same outrage b/c I'm not a coach and how dare I pretend like I can evaluate talent like them.  But I will make that extra effort for everyone

Edited by W.E.D

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

There are a few posters that similarly do this ( trying to create credibility by being loud and obnoxious) every year and it gets old.

Well stated. 

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's fine, but it's weird.  I'm not being mean to him.  I haven't attacked him or called him a POS.  We are having a discussion.  I enjoy talking with him.  We just disagree on some things.  That's fine.  I haven't called out any of his information....the most we have disagreed on is subjective things.  '22's class rankings (I'm more bullish).  This guys value (I'm more bearish).  I'm not sure there is an actual "fact" in both of those opinions 

ellitor is a good guy and worth listening to. Is he always right...no but who is. Most other posters here are decent AU folks. But there are a few with overblown opinions of themselves. Some just have a nasty disposition. It don't take long to sort folks out. Hang in there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

But there are a few with overblown opinions of themselves.

& because I have a loud internet mouth I get confused by some people in thinking I have this trait. I'm loud, talk a lot, but have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sooo this Powell Gordon cat...

Looks like a football player to me. Saw his scrawny arse blow right through several LTs twice his size. Plays through the whistle. Consistently puts himself in good positions. Love the length at 6'3. Definitely needs to add weight if he's going to stick at LB but has the frame to do it. Could easily add 15 lbs before he even gets to campus. Could definitely see him being another Craig Sanders. (Not because he's white, but because Sanders played at 6'4 245, probably had more heart than pure physical ability, and gave us spectacular special teams production as well as a lot of solid reps at WDE.)  As @cole256 said, it's important that we rebuild some bridges in Lee County, hard as that is to believe. A lot to like here. 

• Like 4

A 6'3" 215 lb. LB, who could add some weight, already playing multiple positions at a top level 7A school, as a junior, must have something going for him. Every team needs a few of those intangible guys. Heart. Hustle. A motor that never quits. Inspires others. Winner. He's not some 5'9" 150 lb. water boy who plays when the game is out of reach. He has the frame to contribute. Special teams might be an early option.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

& because I have a loud internet mouth I get confused by some people in thinking I have this trait. I'm loud, talk, a lot, but have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

No...when you're wrong in the past you were just trolling.  Everything opinion you give that is right is just because you're always right.

That's the way message boards work.  Don't admit defeat 🤣

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Looks like a football player to me. Saw his scrawny arse blow right through several LTs twice his size. Plays through the whistle. Consistently puts himself in good positions. Love the length at 6'3. Definitely needs to add weight if he's going to stick at LB but has the frame to do it. Could easily add 15 lbs before he even gets to campus. Could definitely see him being another Craig Sanders. (Not because he's white, but because Sanders played at 6'4 245, probably had more heart than pure physical ability, and gave us spectacular special teams production as well as a lot of solid reps at WDE.)  As @cole256 said, it's important that we rebuild some bridges in Lee County, hard as that is to believe. A lot to like here. 

Bingo! Craig Sanders was devastating on special teams.

Edited by slyinsocal

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not because he's white

Always think this is funny.  He's been compared to Miska and now Craig Sanders.

My man can't get a Karlos Dansby comparison who came to Auburn as a taller thinner WR?  I'm just happy no one has compared him to Jake Holland

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

No...when you're wrong in the past you were just trolling.  Everything opinion you give that is right is just because you're always right.

Wrong. I admit it when I am proven wrong. I don't troll. Wouldn't know how to even if my life depended on it. Just because I read the bunker doesn't mean I'm good at "bunkering".

• Like 3

Since ppl think I'm just trolling.  let me say something nice about him.  He does appear to have some Football IQ, albeit on highlights.

Just now, ellitor said:

Wrong. I admit it when I am proven wrong. I don't troll. Wouldn't know how to even if my life depended on it. Just because I read the bunker doesn't mean I'm good at "bunkering".

I was kidding.  The bunker is awful.  It was much better back in 2005.  More abrasive too.  I really dislike both 247/rivals boards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

At 6'3" and 215 pounds he has good size for a Junior LB with room to add mass. In all the highlights he never stops so has a very good motor and good speed, he kind of whiffed on some tackles in the backfield because he didn't breakdown but still got a hand on the player and got the tackle that won't work in the SEC. That is something a good coach can fix. He is playing against good competition since he is playing at Auburn. As a DE he beat bigger OT's with speed and relentlessness. His motor and desire is what impressed me the most. I really could not tell how strong he is but on running plays at him when bigger OT's were blocking him he did not get pushed off the line of scrimmage.

I agree his motor/effort was impressive. He also did a nice job of diagnosing plays and finding the alley quickly. Add 20 -25 lbs and you e got a good ILB.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth hunter 48, who is a high school defensive coach in the state, thinks pretty highly of Gordon and says he thinks he will be an asset after a year in S&C and a meal plan.

If there’s one thing the meal plan does here, it’s beef you up...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sure, bust happen.  Just like coaches pick wrong players.  No one ever said that.

But all held equal, you give me 25 kids a year ranked in the top 100 vs 35 3* and I'm going to dominate you up and down the field each year.  The services area good barometer 

Everybody agrees that 25 kids in the top 100 would beat 35 3* kids. The problem is that has nothing to do with the conversations as the services you are talking about have not rated him. How can the services be a good barometer on this kid since they have not rated him.

Your whole point us useless because the service haven't given this kid a bad rating they just haven't rated him yet. Since the services haven't rated him, then you are basically saying you know more than the coaches based on a few highlight films where I am sure they have seen a lot more film on the kid then the highlight reels.

You said the kid is skinny and slow I saw a young man who is 6'3" 215 pounds while not thick that is not skinny look at our current LB's. Also he is only a Junior so with a little work he can add 10 more pounds. You say he was slow yet I saw him beating people with speed rushes and a relentless motor. He lived in other teams backfield. We know because he plays for Auburn that he is playing against other talented teams so people he is beating are not bad players at least not all of them.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Always think this is funny.  He's been compared to Miska and now Craig Sanders.

Again, how about you say with what you specifically disagree? I didn't compare him to Miska, but the comparisons there are obvious- undersized no-name guy. But I compared him with Sanders and stated exactly why. So tell me the part that you disagree with. 

My man can't get a Karlos Dansby comparison who came to Auburn as a taller thinner WR? 

I thought about Dansby, but this guy doesn't play WR. Dansby also ran a 4.45. Not sure if this guy is that fast. Dansby was also an all-state power forward and ran track. He started at Auburn as a safety. But I guess he was tall and thin, soooo...

Besides, if you want to make a Dansby comparison, then your whole argument against recruiting Gordon is even sillier. 

I'm just happy no one has compared him to Jake Holland

Why would anyone do that? 

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Everybody agrees that 25 kids in the top 100 would beat 35 3* kids. The problem is that has nothing to do with the conversations as the services you are talking about have not rated him. How can the services be a good barometer on this kid since they have not rated him.

Your whole point us useless because the service haven't given this kid a bad rating they just haven't rated him yet. Since the services haven't rated him, then you are basically saying you know more than the coaches based on a few highlight films where I am sure they have seen a lot more film on the kid then the highlight reels.

You said the kid is skinny and slow I saw a young man who is 6'3" 215 pounds while not thick that is not skinny look at our current LB's. Also he is only a Junior so with a little work he can add 10 more pounds. You say he was slow yet I saw him beating people with speed rushes and a relentless motor. He lived in other teams backfield. We know because he plays for Auburn that he is playing against other talented teams so people he is beating are not bad players at least not all of them.. 

There's some interviews with him after he won player of the week or something and he looks skinny.  Very little muscle.  Almost basketball player type frame.  He lacks the bulk top players will have developed.  Sure he might be able to add weight, but it's difficult for some.

I think he showed good football IQ.  I didn't see much else.  He lacked explosion you see out elite kids.  He's probably a 3* kid.