Women's Basketball Coach Candidate Thread

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I didn't say Bond-White was old, I said she and Brown had been at their respective schools for a long time. My goodness she has been there for 18 years...

And I don't think we do well hiring coaches with hyphenated last names. :)

As for minority candidates, and this is only my opinion, I think that every hire doesn't have to be a minority hire. I can surely understand making sure minorities are interviewed and given fair evaluations, and Auburn recently certainly has promoted and hired minorities at every level of the athletic programs, so I think we have done well. 

Now whether Greene feels compelled to continue to hire a minority, who knows if that will be part of his thinking. 

I agree with you.  I really think Sam Purcell is the leading candidate at this point.  I didn't realize until this morning that he is married to Joe Ciampi's daughter, Meghan.  He is more than qualified without that foot in the door, but that provides a strong push, in my opinion.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I agree with you.  I really think Sam Purcell is the leading candidate at this point.  I didn't realize until this morning that he is married to Joe Ciampi's daughter, Meghan.  He is more than qualified without that foot in the door, but that provides a strong push, in my opinion.

Thanks. I knew one of the coaches is married to Ciampi's daughter, but I didn't realize it was Purcell. 

Then this connection may be too obvious a choice...and Greene will feel he needs a qualified minority if she/he checks all the boxes. 

On 3/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, MyAU03 said:

I hope someone has added Marquis Daniels name to this list of candidates!! He definitely needs to be on the radar!!

Would you hire him to coach the men's team if we needed a coach?

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Who’s got dibs on ADAG finding someone no one has mentioned yet that turns out to be a great hire?

I like the positivity.  However, I would rather not be sitting around for a few years just hoping it gets better.  I hope the Bryan Harsin hire turns out to be a blockbuster hire.  That said, if he wins 5 games this fall, AG will be sweating bullets and praying for something good to happen.

I like the leadership that AG showed by taking charge and demanding that things be done his way as much or more than the actual hire itself.  Nobody knows better than him how important it is for Bryan Harsin to succeed and do so quickly.  If not, some very powerful people will use it to push him out of the way.  We are spoiled by the immediate success of coaching hires in football.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Per JGT AD Greene is aiming for established, major-conference coaches at this stage.

That would mean established Power 5 coaches.  By established, I am assuming success over several seasons.  That list is incredibly small.  Just look at who other programs hired and why. 

Mississippi State tried to hire Jeff Walz from Louisville.  That resulted in Louisville giving him a raise.  They ended up hiring Old Dominion women's basketball coach Nikki McCray-Penson to replace Vic Schaefer.  That hire wouldn't meet the standard of an established major conference coach.

The only program in the SEC to hire an established coach from a Power 5 program is Arkansas.  They hired Mike Neighbors from Washington.  The problem is that he didn't take the Arkansas job for the sake of money or the ability to coach in the SEC.  He took the job because his ex wife and kids are in Arkansas.

Georgia had a hire and they hired from within.  Florida has hired.  They hired the head coach at Belmont.  Vandy hired an assistant from the WNBA. Ole Miss hired the coach from Jacksonville.  That is why I will be shocked if we lay out $1.5 million or more to truly go out and get an established Power 5 coach. Of course, our definition of established could also be up for debate.  There are coaches out west that have done well recently, but they have zero connections to this part of the country.

My bet is still on Sam Purcell, AC at Louisville.  He is the top AC in the country and will have other offers.  If being the top AC in the country and being married to Joe Ciampi's daughter doesn't get you an interview at Auburn, something is very wrong.

20 hours ago, AU9377 said:

That would mean established Power 5 coaches.  By established, I am assuming success over several seasons.  That list is incredibly small.  Just look at who other programs hired and why. 

Mississippi State tried to hire Jeff Walz from Louisville.  That resulted in Louisville giving him a raise.  They ended up hiring Old Dominion women's basketball coach Nikki McCray-Penson to replace Vic Schaefer.  That hire wouldn't meet the standard of an established major conference coach.

The only program in the SEC to hire an established coach from a Power 5 program is Arkansas.  They hired Mike Neighbors from Washington.  The problem is that he didn't take the Arkansas job for the sake of money or the ability to coach in the SEC.  He took the job because his ex wife and kids are in Arkansas.

Georgia had a hire and they hired from within.  Florida has hired.  They hired the head coach at Belmont.  Vandy hired an assistant from the WNBA. Ole Miss hired the coach from Jacksonville.  That is why I will be shocked if we lay out $1.5 million or more to truly go out and get an established Power 5 coach. Of course, our definition of established could also be up for debate.  There are coaches out west that have done well recently, but they have zero connections to this part of the country.

My bet is still on Sam Purcell, AC at Louisville.  He is the top AC in the country and will have other offers.  If being the top AC in the country and being married to Joe Ciampi's daughter doesn't get you an interview at Auburn, something is very wrong.

I don't see us laying out 1.5m for a WBB coach. IMO. 

And I think it will be hard for the money we will be spending, to grab an established P5 coach from a major conference. 

Greene may start off that way, but he may end up with a strong AC or a HC from a smaller level basketball conference. Although we did that w/ Flo and it didn't turn out well. 

p.s. I wonder if Greene also feels he needs to hire a woman/minority...to keep Auburn prevalent in diversity hiring.

22 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I like the positivity.  However, I would rather not be sitting around for a few years just hoping it gets better.  I hope the Bryan Harsin hire turns out to be a blockbuster hire.  That said, if he wins 5 games this fall, AG will be sweating bullets and praying for something good to happen.

I like the leadership that AG showed by taking charge and demanding that things be done his way as much or more than the actual hire itself.  Nobody knows better than him how important it is for Bryan Harsin to succeed and do so quickly.  If not, some very powerful people will use it to push him out of the way.  We are spoiled by the immediate success of coaching hires in football.

you do not think we will give harsin the normal three years most colleges give new coaches? i think that is kinda harsh seeing as he did not get us in this mess. apologies to the basketball folks i just had to comment.

59 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you do not think we will give harsin the normal three years most colleges give new coaches? i think that is kinda harsh seeing as he did not get us in this mess. apologies to the basketball folks i just had to comment.

I'm certain we will. My point was that if we aren't successful this fall, people will immediately see the hire differently, not that he will be gone.  That will also be used against AG by some very powerful boosters that wanted more of a say in the hiring process.  I personally like the courage shown by AG.  I say courage because it was the right move over the safe move.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I don't see us laying out 1.5m for a WBB coach. IMO. 

And I think it will be hard for the money we will be spending, to grab an established P5 coach from a major conference. 

Greene may start off that way, but he may end up with a strong AC or a HC from a smaller level basketball conference. Although we did that w/ Flo and it didn't turn out well. 

p.s. I wonder if Greene also feels he needs to hire a woman/minority...to keep Auburn prevalent in diversity hiring.

I think you are right.  He will probably start out with that intention, but he will quickly see the difficulty in finding someone that fits that mold. Ms State did exactly that.  They were willing to let Jeff Walz, Louisville coach, name his price.  He interviewed and then named his price to Louisville.  They quickly paid the price.

I'm not sure how much of a factor diversity will be in the hiring process, but I'm certain it will be considered.  That was what put TWF over Kellie Harper when we made the last hire.  Nobody should take that as my saying that TWF got the job because she was an African American.  She was qualified.  My point is that when 2 candidates are equally qualified, as was the case then, the additional benefit of diversity can push someone to the front.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think you are right.  He will probably start out with that intention, but he will quickly see the difficulty in finding someone that fits that mold. Ms State did exactly that.  They were willing to let Jeff Walz, Louisville coach, name his price.  He interviewed and then named his price to Louisville.  They quickly paid the price.

I'm not sure how much of a factor diversity will be in the hiring process, but I'm certain it will be considered.  That was what put TWF over Kellie Harper when we made the last hire.  Nobody should take that as my saying that TWF got the job because she was an African American.  She was qualified.  My point is that when 2 candidates are equally qualified, as was the case then, the additional benefit of diversity can push someone to the front.

And that is totally acceptable. 

He definitely has to interview minorities, whether they are on a short list or not...

As it seems in many of our hires over the last few years, other than Pearl, the hire will not be from a group we hope or expect Greene to hire from...

ofc money will dictate how well known the coach will be...

Coach Flo was Fired 1 week ago after 9 seasons with Tigers where she did not meet expectations and she was alright to terrible Coach. I would love to hear y’all Candidates to replace Coach Flo. A Top 10 and maybe some other mentioneds follow my Instagram @kaseydunaway19 for more information 

11 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And that is totally acceptable. 

He definitely has to interview minorities, whether they are on a short list or not...

As it seems in many of our hires over the last few years, other than Pearl, the hire will not be from a group we hope or expect Greene to hire from...

ofc money will dictate how well known the coach will be...

Fortunately, an average SEC salary is well above what most coaches are paid around the country to coach women's basketball.  My personal opinion is that it would be less than honest for money to be a constraint, given the amounts we have spent and are currently spending on other sports and facilities.  The fact that AG has even mentioned established coaches in major conferences makes me believe that he is prepared to spend money if needed. 

5 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Coach Flo was Fired 1 week ago after 9 seasons with Tigers where she did not meet expectations and she was alright to terrible Coach. I would love to hear y’all Candidates to replace Coach Flo. A Top 10 and maybe some other mentioneds follow my Instagram @kaseydunaway19 for more information 

@Kasey Dunaway2021 we are already discussing it and your thread was merged with the three we are discussing it. Our thoughts and candidates are in this thread. Just read through it.

Just a small update.... There are now 2 other Power 5 jobs open, Wisconsin and Oklahoma.  Oklahoma would be the position to keep an eye on.  That is arguably the best job now open after Sherri Coale announced her retirement.  Auburn would be the second best job open, in my opinion.

That doesn't mean that some candidates wouldn't prefer the Auburn job over the Oklahoma job.  Some certainly would based on geographical location, conference, etc.  However, Oklahoma has had more recent success.

What a difference in the Coach search when Gus was fired it seems like every 10 minutes we were told so and so is leading candidate none of which was based in factual information, now for women's basketball coach no information coming out.  I know there is no rush but I was hoping by now we would at least have heard that we were setting up a few interviews.  Greene seems to run a tight ship as we are not hearing unfounded stories in this search.

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

What a difference in the Coach search when Gus was fired it seems like every 10 minutes we were told so and so is leading candidate none of which was based in factual information, now for women's basketball coach no information coming out.  I know there is no rush but I was hoping by now we would at least have heard that we were setting up a few interviews.  Greene seems to run a tight ship as we are not hearing unfounded stories in this search.

I am guessing here, but one of the differences is that if Greene wants to talk to any HC or AC that may be in the NCAA tournament, he is having to wait till they are finished with their season. Whereas after GUs was fired there was nothing to keep Greene and company from reaching out to any coach, and then it being leaked out we are interested.

And, it is true Greene is very quiet when it comes to hiring info coming out of his office, even leaked.

I do like that, rather than past Auburn searches where something came out(wrong or right) from someone inside. 

Archived