Trey Alexander decommits

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

Alexander is more talented than Sills or Jasper. Hard to find a way to spin this positively, unless he made the decision due to an imminent Scoot reclassification. 

We'll see. Jasper is a way bette defender and we'll have players who can score.

Green, Zep, and Sills are good enough three point shooters and with the 3/4/5 we'll be running with it will open things up a lot more for the guards and those 35%-36% three point shooting averages might jump up a couple more percentage points.

Defense, transition, causing turnovers, etc... While playing a fast pace seems to be what we're going for.

In that regard Trey was the weakest link at guard.

Edited by AuburnMike86

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was afraid that was going to happen....damn

What made you think this would happen?  Legitimately asking, no sarcasm. 

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was afraid that was going to happen....damn

Unless this is the news we're waiting for. 

Jasper avged 15 ppg at a VERY respectable program in Charleston. He is THE guy you want defending the best opposing guard.

If this means Thor's coming back and is a sign Scoot is gonna come in this goes from a damn, to a well someone had to go to make room.

We'll see how it plays out but hopefully this leads to more good news.

Edited by AuburnMike86

Not the be biggest fan of taking desi if it meant losing trey (if that’s the main reason). That’s not a shot against desi, he has a chance to be very successful in BP’s system, but man it hurts Bc Trey was a baller. 

• Like 7

Quickly becoming an uninterested college basketball fan. It's a chinese fire drill. More beneficial to just be a fair weather fan and ignore it any other time. It's only going to get worse.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Quickly becoming an uninterested college basketball fan. It's a chinese fire drill. More beneficial to just be a fair weather fan and ignore it any other time. It's only going to get worse.

So true. But doesn't it suck to feel that way?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not the be biggest fan of taking desi if it meant losing trey (if that’s the main reason). That’s not a shot against desi, he has a chance to be very successful in BP’s system, but man it hurts Bc Trey was a baller. 

Have to imagine part of the reason we took Desi was Trey’s decision. It would be crazy to pick Desi over Trey.

• Like 1

You don't take a transfer like Desi unless he gets a lot of minutes which obviously would take away from Trey's time on the court.  High profile recruits like Trey want to be the guy. It's like the chicken or the egg. Which came first for Bruce? Trey wavering or strong interest in Desi?

35 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just absolutely refuse to believe Pearl took him w/o thinking Trey already had a foot out the door. That would be INSANE 

Agree. I don’t understand the reaction from some of the usual Auburn basketball Twitter pundits (the general tone has been - he wasn’t going to play much and this is no big deal). Trey would’ve been the 5th best guard recruit we’ve EVER signed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

What made you think this would happen?  Legitimately asking, no sarcasm. 

We were signing guys at his position. He wants to play now....add that up

There’s a world where BP lets Desi walk, gets Scoot and Tray still transfers. Then you gotta make up 2 guards with substantially less time and options 

thats the best optimistic POV, I suppose. 

• Like 2

My gut told me somebody was going to leave but my brain told me it would be 1 of the transfers, who would decide it was going  to be tough to find the amount of playing time he wanted  

34 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Jesus...

Oklahoma prolly

The Okies have had several leave early for the NBA draft. It may be that the home state Sooners brought the heat.

14 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Agree. I don’t understand the reaction from some of the usual Auburn basketball Twitter pundits (the general tone has been - he wasn’t going to play much and this is no big deal). Trey would’ve been the 5th best guard recruit we’ve EVER signed. 

Why do you keep associating everything with high school rankings?

He was #70. Not top 10.

I like the underrated players that stand out as much as anyone, but just because he's is a top 75 player doesn't mean he will be a super star.

Every year there are tons of examples of players taking 1-2-3 years to fully develop. Even top 50 guys.

Trey may be great, but if you are comparing his HS stats against HS competition and claiming he is better than a D1 college player because that college player avged 7-10 ppg against D1 competition then you have a ton to learn about basketball, recruiting, and so on. Desi has played at this level. He has trained at this level. He has proven himself at this level.

I wish Trey would have stayed and either proven to have been good enough to take a spot, or been patient enough to get better and then taken a spot.

If Bruce took Desi knowing Trey would leave, then Bruce made that decision.

If Bruce Pearl thought he was a game changer, potential 1st rounded draft talent, he takes him over anyone else and doesn't recruit over him. Clearly he didn't expect him to be that much of a factor this season in comparison to what he thought Desi would bring.

Coach > message board users.

Edited by AuburnMike86

AM86...my thoughts exactly.  Seems to be a lot of crying over milk that we don't know is spilled yet.  Maybe this is why it took a while for Bruce to take his commitment.  According to the rumors, Desi had tried to commit a couple of times.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Well, there's your answer on the logjam at the 2.

Log jam at the 2? Sills and Trey were the only 2's we had on the roster. We need another 2 now. Zep is going to be Wendell's backup at the 1.

Edited by GwillMac6

14 hours ago, autan said:

You don't take a transfer like Desi unless he gets a lot of minutes which obviously would take away from Trey's time on the court.  High profile recruits like Trey want to be the guy. It's like the chicken or the egg. Which came first for Bruce? Trey wavering or strong interest in Desi?

Desi wasn't a take last week. He tried committing twice to us before he actually did. There's your answer.

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

JLee is reporting that we are looking hard at Akinjo, the Arizona transfer. He was 1st team All-PAC team, and one of the top tranfers out there. Caveat...he has put his name into the NBA draft..

But he would be an upgrade over Alexander at his experience at ability.

Just to clarify we are only looking him now AFTER Trey's descion as a solution for the hole now at the 2 with only 1 true SG in desi left on the roster. We weren't going after him until this happened.